PDA

View Full Version : No Hawk tonight.

JermaineDye05
09-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Per Stone's twitter:

Hawk is a bit under the weather so i will be the play-by-play man tonight vs detroit. Jake peavy goes to the mound so it should be fun.

Looks like he'll be going it alone again. I wish they'd bring someone else in. Vin Scully is the only announcer who can go it alone in baseball. Then again, I haven't seen all of baseball's broadcasters. However, I have seen Stoney and I don't really enjoy watching the game with just him.

Konerko05
09-25-2009, 03:22 PM
I thought Peavy was pitching Saturday.

Rocky Soprano
09-25-2009, 03:24 PM
I thought Peavy was pitching Saturday.

Nope, he is going today.

MARTINMVP
09-25-2009, 03:24 PM
He originally was scheduled for tonight, then he was moved to Saturday with Garcia getting the nod for tonight.

I am going to tonight's game and the official "thank you" email from the White Sox showed Garcia going tonight. That was Wednesday night though.

Sometime yesterday, I heard that Peavy was pitching for tonight so I'm going with that.

BigKlu59
09-25-2009, 03:26 PM
:whiner: He and the rest of we Pale Hose fandom.... Maybe he felt a little Harry purge and thought the best to not open his pie hole in all this disappointment.. So, Stone Pony becomes the secong coming of Bob Elson... Maybe with the lack of "Colour Yammering" we'll be able to hear the peanut/beer vendors in the backround like the good ole days....:D:

Hope Hawk is feeling better... Could be this H1N1 crap thats floating around....Or it could be a real bad $1 dog....

BigKlu59

JermaineDye05
09-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Stone just said on the Score that Mike Huff will be with him in the booth tonight.

FielderJones
09-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Stone just said on the Score that Mike Huff will be with him in the booth tonight.

Subtraction by addition. :(:

Red Barchetta
09-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Vin Scully is the only announcer who can go it alone in baseball.

I was watching a Dodgers broadcast on MLB TV the other night and I found it exhausting listening to him. Because it's only one voice, he allows very little dead air. If the batter steps out of the box to adjust his batting gloves, Scully has to describe which glove he adjusts and why...

Maybe I'm just not used to him, however it was hard to listen over a few innings...:?:

Konerko05
09-25-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm curious to see how Stone Pony will be in the booth tonight without Hawk constantly suffocating him.

Stone Pony can rarely even make a point without Hawk cutting him off and throwing his own little twist on it. It gets tiresome to listen to sometimes.

I'm not a Hawk hater either.

eriqjaffe
09-25-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm curious to see how Stone Pony will be in the booth tonight without Hawk constantly suffocating him.

Stone Pony can rarely even make a point without Hawk cutting him off and throwing his own little twist on it. It gets tiresome to listen to sometimes.

I'm not a Hawk hater either.:hawk
"Now, Stone Pony, I'm proud of you and and all, and I'mma let you finish, but Carlos Gomez is the greatest baseball player of all time!"

dickallen15
09-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Stone was by himself for a game earlier this year. He was talking so fast, it was painful to listen to. I don't know what Mike Huff adds to a broadcast other than for people on message boards like us to pile on.

Foulke You
09-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Subtraction by addition. :(:
Huff was a fine bench player for the Sox but as a broadcaster, he is kind've dull.

Konerko05
09-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Huff was a fine bench player for the Sox but as a broadcaster, he is kind've dull.

The last time he was in the booth he agreed with Hawk that the pitcher has to make sure he doesn't make a mistake here.

"Yes Hawk, I agree. The pitcher doesn't want to make a mistake here."

Thanks for the insight Mike. When does anyone want to make a mistake? I think the word pretty much speaks for itself.

He basically agrees with everything Hawk says, so I'm sure Hawk is pining for him to replace Stone.

jdm2662
09-25-2009, 04:19 PM
The last time he was in the booth he agreed with Hawk that the pitcher has to make sure he doesn't make a mistake here.

Thanks for the insight Mike. When does anyone want to make a mistake? I think the word pretty much speaks for itself.

He basically agrees with everything Hawk says, so I'm sure Hawk is pining for him to replace Stone.

Ha, I wouldn't doubt that for a second. That would be the perfect partner for Hawk, a puppet and a yes man to him!

Nellie_Fox
09-25-2009, 04:29 PM
I was watching a Dodgers broadcast on MLB TV the other night and I found it exhausting listening to him. Because it's only one voice, he allows very little dead air. If the batter steps out of the box to adjust his batting gloves, Scully has to describe which glove he adjusts and why...

Maybe I'm just not used to him, however it was hard to listen over a few innings...:?:I find Scully to be dreadfully monotone and boring.

Goose
09-25-2009, 05:02 PM

OT, but what the hell is this word? A contraction for 'kind have'?

Brian26
09-25-2009, 05:23 PM
I find Scully to be dreadfully monotone and boring.

Bite your tongue. Vin Scully is a legendary broadcaster.

Brian26
09-25-2009, 05:24 PM
He originally was scheduled for tonight, then he was moved to Saturday with Garcia getting the nod for tonight.

No, this is the exact opposite of what happened. Peavy was originally scheduled for Saturday, but he was moved up to tonight with Freddy getting the nod for tomorrow and Hudson on Sunday.

DumpJerry
09-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Bite your tongue. Vin Scully is a legendary broadcaster.
And the Cubs are a "storied" franchise.

oeo
09-25-2009, 05:30 PM

I've yet to hear any tension between Hawk and Stone. I don't really see Hawk 'suffocating' Stone, either. I think they get along remarkably well, and they both get their two cents in from the hitting and pitching side.

What I think we're going to get tonight is a dull broadcast. Stone is good at what he does, but he's pretty dull overall, other than the joke he throws in here or there.

Brian26
09-25-2009, 05:32 PM
I've yet to hear any tension between Hawk and Stone. I don't really see Hawk 'suffocating' Stone, either. I think they get along remarkably well, and they both get their two cents in from the hitting and pitching side.

I think Stone has loosened up a bit and enjoys Hawk's act. There seems to be quite a bit of mutual respect between the two. It's been a good year in the broadcast booths even though play on the field has general been mediocre at best.

MarkZ35
09-25-2009, 05:39 PM

http://bluraymedia.ign.com/bluray/image/article/981/981715/major-league-20090511025732171-000.jpg

"Dynamite drop-in Monty! That broadcast school has really paid off."
http://www.entertonement.com/clips/tvcwmnxzkd--Major-League-2Bob-Uecker-Harry-Doyle-Major-League-II-Skip-Griparis-

cub killer
09-25-2009, 07:04 PM
OT, but what the hell is this word? A contraction for 'kind have'?
Hahaha. After 1,000,000 instances of people saying "of" instead "have" (i.e. "could of, should of"), he drops the ball and says "have" instead of "of". Ah, the irony.

And no, it's not anal to want people to use English correctly.

WhiteSox1989
09-25-2009, 07:10 PM
I love Hawk and Stone together. There was only one game where Hawk got on my nerves. This season has brought us some pretty good Hawk
quotes. I loved the perfect game..

Stoney: "the wa--.."
Hawk: "WOW!!!"

:D:

Hawk and DJ grew a little tiresome, and with Hawk being well, Hawk, Stoney is able to kind of balance it out. If that makes sense.

Anyway. I hope Hawk feels better!

shingo10
09-25-2009, 07:17 PM

What I think we're going to get tonight is a dull broadcast. Stone is good at what he does, but he's pretty dull overall, other than the joke he throws in here or there.

That's why I was sad to see DJ go. I never found him to be monotonous like Stoney, and he was always getting on Hawk's nerves. Some of their interactions were priceless.

spongyfungy
09-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Can't they replace Hawk now with a machine?

http://i38.tinypic.com/312yeq9.png

soxfan1965
09-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Konerko05 http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2359245#post2359245)

I'm not a Hawk hater either.

Huff was refreshing and interesting, as it was nice to hear someone talking normal without those grating trite phrases, and hearing more of Stone was nice- I like Hawk but it's nice to have a break from him once in a while, especially with Peavy's performance.

Marqhead
09-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Can't they replace Hawk now with a machine?

How does it keep up with the news like that?

BainesHOF
09-26-2009, 12:22 AM
On the Score this afternoon Stone said Hawk would miss the broadcast because he wasn't feeling well. Then at the start of the game Stone said Hawk had family business to attend to. Not that we have to know exactly why Hawk missed the game, but I found Stone's different comments a bit odd.

The TV broadcast tonight was brutal from both sides.

slavko
09-26-2009, 12:29 AM

After all the predictions of violence in the booth at WSI! Season's almost gone and no blood. Stone was passable at pbp tonight, I'd bet he's trained for it over the years. Yeah, he's dull, that's why he couldn't do pbp regularly. He certainly isn't as glib and smooth as Hawk. For pete's sake, he got along with Harry, who could tear your heart out for fun.

spongyfungy
09-26-2009, 12:50 AM
How does it keep up with the news like that?

_Don't_ praise the machine!

Mohoney
09-28-2009, 12:44 AM
And the Cubs are a "storied" franchise.

In a way, the cubs ARE "storied". Their ineptitude is light-years above and beyond anybody else.

Can a team be considered "storied" if the story is complete failure?

lpneck
09-28-2009, 12:12 PM
The TV broadcast tonight was brutal from both sides.

I don't think that's particularly fair to Stone. While it wasn't an all-star broadcast by any means, he at least gave a passable performance in a role he is not accustomed to.

Criticizing him for it would be like calling out the right fielder who gives up a passed ball when pressed into emergency catching duty because the starter is out of the game and the back up gets hurt.

eriqjaffe
09-28-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't think that's particularly fair to Stone. While it wasn't an all-star broadcast by any means, he at least gave a passable performance in a role he is not accustomed to.

Criticizing him for it would be like calling out the right fielder who gives up a passed ball when pressed into emergency catching duty because the starter is out of the game and the back up gets hurt.Besides, we should be used to people playing out of position by now.

tacosalbarojas
09-28-2009, 01:32 PM

Criticizing him for it would be like calling out the right fielder who gives up a passed ball when pressed into emergency catching duty because the starter is out of the game and the back up gets hurt.
If JD can play SS for a game, Stone can do pbp.