PDA

View Full Version : S.I. On 2009 Free Agents

Lip Man 1
09-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Sports Illustrated has a look at the 2009 free agent class. They say the 'gold mine' will be in the class of 2010 (when guys like Joe Mauer, Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay and Josh Beckett could be available...) but lists their choices in 2009.

The Cream - John Lackey, Matt Holliday, Jason Bay, Chone Figgins, Jose Valverde.

You Again? - They say the buyer's market forced a lot of good players to sign one year deals, which means they'll be available again this season. Bobby Abreu is called a "low risk addition." Orlando Hudson is noted as having "avoided the freak injuries that curtailed his last two years to turn in his 4th straight above-average year." Others in this section are Russell Branyan and Orlando Cabrera.

How's The Health Care Legislation? - In this category they list Rich Harden, Nick Johnson (they note his .401 OBP), Vlad Guerrero, Adrian Beltre, Erik Bedard.

Danger, Will Robinson! - I assume this means stay away at all costs! Jason Marquis, Marco Scutaro, Jarrod Washburn, Johnny Damon.

Lip

jamokes
09-24-2009, 08:25 PM
I'd love to have Bay or Holliday.

Twins_Morneau
09-24-2009, 08:37 PM
I'd like Figgins to replace Crede, don't know if the owners are willing tho, they might just decide Nick Poopto is good enough.

chisoxfanatic
09-24-2009, 08:45 PM
I have this feeling that Bay will stay in Boston.

DumpJerry
09-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Mauer will leave the Twins the same day the Pope converts to Hinduism. He may technically be a free agent after next season, but will never sign with anyone but the Twins. The money he can make with endorcements by staying with his hometown will more than make up what Theo or Cashman can pay him.

chisoxfanatic
09-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Mauer will leave the Twins the same day the Pope converts to Hinduism. He may technically be a free agent after next season, but will never sign with anyone but the Twins. The money he can make with enforcements by staying with his hometown will more than make up what Theo or Cashman can pay him.
Exactly what "enforcements" are you thinking of, Dump? :tongue:

Hitmen77
09-24-2009, 08:48 PM

I'd be SHOCKED if the Sox even made a serious run at either of those guys.

DumpJerry
09-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Exactly what "enforcements" are you thinking of, Dump? :tongue:
Fixed. Thanks.

Frater Perdurabo
09-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Fixed. Thanks.

Kittle42 would have a coronary if asked for his endorsement of your spelling! :tongue:

soxfanreggie
09-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Mauer will leave the Twins the same day the Pope converts to Hinduism. He may technically be a free agent after next season, but will never sign with anyone but the Twins. The money he can make with endorcements by staying with his hometown will more than make up what Theo or Cashman can pay him.

Might want to fix it once more...no "c".

As for the extra cash, I'm not sure he's making more than $5 million a year in endorsements. His contract shoots up another $2 million this next season. He'll probably also be due a $70+ million contract minimum (figure 5 or 6 years). I could see a team like the Yankees being able to spend a couple million a year more per year, which would probably offset his endorsements. Plus, it's NY, he'd get more $$$ there.

The only problem, the biggest spenders have Jorge Posada locked up through 2011 at a hefty amount. Unless one moves to DH, you won't see them sign him.

Twins_Morneau
09-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Rumors in town from the local papers are Twins are gonna offer 7yrs 120 mill.

doublem23
09-24-2009, 10:15 PM

I'd say that's fantastic they'd lock all their money into one player, but they'll somehow find 24 A-ball players and will someone hang around.

Lip Man 1
09-24-2009, 10:21 PM
This and that:

Holliday's agent is Scott Boras. Cross that name off the Sox list immediately.

And if the Yankees think they have a shot at Mauer, having Posada under contract will have absolutely no, I mean zero, effect on them. If they have to they'll use him as a back up or see if someone will take a catcher ready to retire.

Lip

DumpJerry
09-24-2009, 10:22 PM

I'd say that's fantastic they'd lock all their money into one player, but they'll somehow find 24 A-ball players and will someone hang around.
I think this is a very strong possibility. When they set forth their draft priorities the year he was drafted, the Twins decided to get the next Johnny Bench. I guess they felt AJ was no long for the team. They searched the world over and found Joe Mauer in their own backyard in a suburb of St. Paul.

They drafted him with the master plan of building a team around him once he came into his own at The Show. The plan has worked very well for them.

Now, if we can convince Selig to swap the Brewers for the Twins in the NL and AL Central divisions, all would be good........

JB98
09-24-2009, 10:30 PM
This and that:

And if the Yankees think they have a shot at Mauer, having Posada under contract will have absolutely no, I mean zero, effect on them. If they have to they'll use him as a back up or see if someone will take a catcher ready to retire.

Lip

The only three free agents (among position players) that could help the Sox are Holliday, Bay or Abreu. It's a weak free-agent class. Given that knowledge, KW will probably have to improve the lineup via trade.

The Sox desperately need a middle-of-the-order bat.

kaufsox
09-24-2009, 10:48 PM
I think Figgins is the best fit for the Sox, but the price might just not work for them :(:

JB98
09-24-2009, 11:00 PM
I think Figgins is the best fit for the Sox, but the price might just not work for them :(:

No way. We have a halfway decent leadoff hitter. We have zilch in the middle of the order. Only three guys with more than 70 RBIs, and one of them got traded in late August. Another is hitting .180 since the All-Star break.

Pods has been on base all year. No one has knocked him in. Add Figgins to this team, and they would still blow chunks.

Hitmen77
09-24-2009, 11:21 PM
I think this is a very strong possibility. When they set forth their draft priorities the year he was drafted, the Twins decided to get the next Johnny Bench. I guess they felt AJ was no long for the team. They searched the world over and found Joe Mauer in their own backyard in a suburb of St. Paul.

They drafted him with the master plan of building a team around him once he came into his own at The Show. The plan has worked very well for them.

Now, if we can convince Selig to swap the Brewers for the Twins in the NL and AL Central divisions, all would be good........

Sorry to get this thread off track, but I thought the only reason why the Twins ended up with Mauer was because their #1 choice (some guy named Mark Prior) was asking for too much money. The Twins picked Mauer and Prior was picked second by some other team (I forget which one). It also helped that the Twins had the worst record in MLB the year before giving them the #1 pick overall.

/thread hijack

Twins_Morneau
09-25-2009, 12:43 AM

I wouldn't mind the easier NL, and I hate the Cubs way more than the Sox anyways.:redneck

DSpivack
09-25-2009, 12:46 AM
This and that:

Lip

I could see Posada returning as DH, his bat is still strong. Matsui is a free agent, no?

doublem23
09-25-2009, 01:14 AM
I could see Posada returning as DH, his bat is still strong. Matsui is a free agent, no?

Not to mention any team that dumps a huge contract on Mauer would be wise to keep him from behind the plate everyday. Even if he gets a modest 5-year deal, he'll be 32 by the time it ends, those are rough miles you're putting on your catcher.

Konerko05
09-25-2009, 01:50 AM
What about Nick Johnson?

The Sox could use another left handed bat, and Williams just mentioned the need to improve the team's OBP.

Johnson has a .421 OBP this season. He has a .401 career OBP. He doesn't hit a ton of homeruns, but I believe he's more than capable of hitting 25 playing half his games at U.S. Cellular.

His injury history is a concern, but playing most of his games at DH could limit the stress on his body dramatically.

GAsoxfan
09-25-2009, 10:20 AM
What about Nick Johnson?

The Sox could use another left handed bat, and Williams just mentioned the need to improve the team's OBP.

Johnson has a .421 OBP this season. He has a .401 career OBP. He doesn't hit a ton of homeruns, but I believe he's more than capable of hitting 25 playing half his games at U.S. Cellular.

His injury history is a concern, but playing most of his games at DH could limit the stress on his body dramatically.

I'd like to see Nick Johnson on the Sox (for the right price of course). Either Johnson or Abreu would be a great fit as a DH/part-time fielder.

downstairs
09-25-2009, 11:23 AM

What would be the ceiling on what the Yanks or Red Sox would pay him? $15 mil/year? $20 mil?

There is no way he could make anything close to $15 million in endorsements in ANY city, especially Minneapolis. No way. That's like Kobe Bryant money!

voodoochile
09-25-2009, 11:44 AM
What would be the ceiling on what the Yanks or Red Sox would pay him? $15 mil/year? $20 mil?

There is no way he could make anything close to $15 million in endorsements in ANY city, especially Minneapolis. No way. That's like Kobe Bryant money!

All the endorsement money has to do is make up the difference in salaries. If the Twins are willing to offer 7/120 the Yanks would have to approach ARod money to offset the difference.

Edit: The flipside of that is that if Mauer signed with NY for example, he'd quickly become one of the best known names in sports and might start to see national endorsement money like Jeter or ARod get. I'd bet whatever shoe deal he has in place will give him a significant bonus if he moves from Minnenoplace to NY, LA or Chicago.

Zisk77
09-25-2009, 12:07 PM
I'd like Figgins to replace Crede, don't know if the owners are willing tho, they might just decide Nick Poopto is good enough.

I think the owners think Beckham is going to replace Crede...IF we get Figgins he will most likely play LF. Ack, didnt realize a twinkie was posting...reading is fundamental!

jabrch
09-25-2009, 12:34 PM

Really? Because I figure that the money he can make in endorsements in NY would blow away anything he can make for a few extra bait and tackle shops in MN.

Mauer may never leave because he loves being at "home" but the reason he will stay will not be earning potential. Cashman or Theo could easily blow away what he is making today, adding in his salary plus endorsements.

jabrch
09-25-2009, 12:36 PM

The reason to cross his name off the list is that we won't spend the kind of money that he will get regardless of who his agent is. It is not because his agent is Boras.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Jab:

You know as well as I do that even if the price was deemed reasonable by the Sox they wouldn't go for it unless they absolutely had to and were holding their noses while doing it.

Let's not revisit the situations through the years dating back to A-Rod stiffing Kenny and Boras claiming that JR wanted to meet with A-Rod without himself present.

There's a history between the two sides, right or wrong and it does factor into whom the Sox are willing to look at.

Again not saying it's right or wrong, that's the way it is.

Google: Jerry Reinsdorf on Scott Boras and see what you come up with. I did, and just on the first page alone you get stories from the Seattle Times, S.I., business web sites, talking about the "feud", comments from JR on him and the fact the Sox will not draft any player represented by him.

Lip

Twins_Morneau
09-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Really? Because I figure that the money he can make in endorsements in NY would blow away anything he can make for a few extra bait and tackle shops in MN.

Mauer may never leave because he loves being at "home" but the reason he will stay will not be earning potential. Cashman or Theo could easily blow away what he is making today, adding in his salary plus endorsements.

I'd rather he be a yankee, I hate the Roidsux more for some reason.

Jerksticks
09-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Can we just hoard all the pro-Figgins people into 1 thread and explain to them once and for all just how horrible an idea this is?
Why would you replace a 22yr old goldglove at 3B? Slide him to short? No! We have one of the best values on shortstops in the league for 1 million per year! Getz is fine, the infield is more than fine. We need a power bat in the outfield. We either need to sign Holliday or trade for one. Figgins? What a horrible idea.

PatK
09-25-2009, 02:41 PM
I must be the only one who likes Valverde.

But he's gonna come with too high of a price tag.

Zisk77
09-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Can we just hoard all the pro-Figgins people into 1 thread and explain to them once and for all just how horrible an idea this is?
Why would you replace a 22yr old goldglove at 3B? Slide him to short? No! We have one of the best values on shortstops in the league for 1 million per year! Getz is fine, the infield is more than fine. We need a power bat in the outfield. We either need to sign Holliday or trade for one. Figgins? What a horrible idea.

i think you would put Figgins in LF. Leave the infield alone. Dh tCQ and get your power bat in RF. Holiday = boras as agent = no chance.

doublem23
09-25-2009, 04:50 PM

I'm as big a proponent of leaving Bacon at 3B as anyone... but Gold Glove? Uh... Not quite.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Jerk:

Figgins wouldn't be playing 3rd. He'd spend most of his time in the outfield, occasionally at 2nd base.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
09-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Don't worry about the cost. Get Abreu and Figgins and start printing playoff tickets.

Lineup: Figgins, Beckham, Abreu, TCQ, PK, AJ, Rios, Getz, Alexei. Rotate DH. What's not to like?

WhiteSoxOnly
09-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Don't worry about the cost. Get Abreu and Figgins and start printing playoff tickets.

Lineup: Figgins, Beckham, Abreu, TCQ, PK, AJ, Rios, Getz, Alexei. Rotate DH. What's not to like?

Works for me pal but i don't see JR telling Kenny not to worry
about the cost.I sure as hell would love to be wrong though.

Jerksticks
09-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Ok. Good god, just leave Beckham at 3B where people aren't sliding into him every other inning.

So if Figgins brings substantially better D than CQ, I suppose. Id rather take my chances with Pods out there at leadoff/LF, CQ DH, and a Powerbat/plus defender OF acquired through trade. Wouldn't we lose draft picks by signing Figgins, who is a few years over 30? I only want to lose picks if we are snaggin up Holliday or somebody studly; not for SHAWN Figgins.