PDA

View Full Version : Would Schu Come back?

chisoxt
06-08-2002, 10:42 PM
It is apparent to me and to a lot of others that KW is too inexperienced and undisciplined to effectively be the general manager, would Ron Schueler consider returing to his role as GM? I heard that he was seeking to get back into a GM role, and who wouldn't relish being in the position of being the proverbial 'white knight ' riding in to save the day..

NUKE_CLEVELAND
06-08-2002, 10:45 PM
Nah, we need to bring back walt Hriniak to teach the hitters how to hit again.

baggio202
06-08-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
It is apparent to me and to a lot of others that KW is too inexperienced and undisciplined to effectively be the general manager, would Ron Schueler consider returing to his role as GM? I heard that he was seeking to get back into a GM role, and who wouldn't relish being in the position of being the proverbial 'white knight ' riding in to save the day..

oh please god let this happen....i cant take another year of KW

neal
06-08-2002, 11:25 PM
KW is better than Schuller at least.

baggio202
06-08-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by neal
KW is better than Schuller at least.

riiiight....all williams did was take over the 2nd youngest team in baseball off a 95 win season and division title with a 30 something million dollar payroll and a minor league system voted the best in baseball by BA...and all he did was proceed to destroy it by stupid trade after trade to the point where we will be lucky to finish .500...kenny williams...executive of the year!!!!!

Tragg
06-08-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt

While have supported a change in GM for 1+ years now, I would suggest we get a good one. Scheuler did build our minors well - but overall, it's pretty obvious who schooled Kenny Williams. Unfortunately, Williams is a poor man's version of what was a pretty mediocre GM.

Daver
06-09-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

riiiight....all williams did was take over the 2nd youngest team in baseball off a 95 win season and division title with a 30 something million dollar payroll and a minor league system voted the best in baseball by BA...and all he did was proceed to destroy it by stupid trade after trade to the point where we will be lucky to finish .500...kenny williams...executive of the year!!!!!

Kenny built that minor league system that you are bragging about,Schu had nothing to do with it.If you are going to give credit for that minor league system give it to the right person.

RedPinStripes
06-09-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by daver

Kenny built that minor league system that you are bragging about,Schu had nothing to do with it.If you are going to give credit for that minor league system give it to the right person.

KW still blows dude.

Tragg
06-09-2002, 09:30 AM

Why do you say he built it? Was that what he was in charge of when he worked for Scheuler? He selected the draft choices, etc.?

Not disagreeing, just asking.

I think the difference between he and scheuler in trading is that kenny is far more willing to trade than scheuler. When you aren't very good at it (and scheuler wasn't either), that isn't a good thing.

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 10:14 AM

Kenny built that minor league system that you are bragging about,Schu had nothing to do with it.If you are going to give credit for that minor league system give it to the right person. he oversaw the system and i still don't believe he had all the authority to do it................. but he built it??????? i don't think he went out and scout or drafted the players there........ "BA" made a ref to sho was responsible on there recent shuffle........

i disagree davers......

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 10:48 AM
is it me or is the news papers not really reporting the displeasure of the fans as it should? i am sure that the sports radio and fan base are screaming and yet the paper in mute on the subject not even criticizing some of the fvvck up that being done on the field.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Just wondering...

Wasn't Ron Scheuler the guy who...

*Traded Bob Wickman for Steve Sax?
*Traded Jack McDowell for Lyle Mouton?
*Traded Sammy Sosa for George Bell?
*Signed Jamie Navarro to a 4 yr, 20 million dollar deal?
*Said Roger Clemens was "over the hill" and didn't even speak
with his agents in 1997?
*Refused to trade any of his "can't miss kids" in 2000 when the
Sox desperately needed pitching for the stretch drive and
postseason?

With respect, the Sox need Scheuler like they need Kenny Williams.

Lip

RedPinStripes
06-09-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Just wondering...

with his agents in 1997?
postseason?

Lip

Yeah, he did make some real bone headed moves, but some good ones too. The Sox will never have a real GM with JR controling money.

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 03:02 PM
Just wondering...

with his agents in 1997?
postseason?

Lip

*Traded Bob Wickman for Steve Sax? i too thought that might have been a good trade..........

*Traded Jack McDowell for Lyle Mouton? what did jack do after the trade.... nothing.....

*Traded Sammy Sosa for George Bell? bell help us the season after, but sammy was a me type of player and they traded him..... who would have know that he would find steroids and become the player that he is........... and he is still a jerk.......

*Signed Jamie Navarro to a 4 yr, 20 million dollar deal? again, who would've thought he would turn into a bozo......... same can be said with kw trading for clayton.

with his agents in 1997? this i agree
and your last post of trading for the stretch......... its would've cost too much of little in return........

i rather have schu instead of kw anyday

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 11:48 PM
who is this lip man? is he a hit and run?

Tragg
06-10-2002, 02:08 AM
Just wondering...

with his agents in 1997?
postseason?

Lip

Pretty accurate, lip. Also, maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't Scheuler the one infatuated with the great Cory Snyder in the early 1990s?
And although he wasn't consistent when he pitched here, Al Levine is a quality major league reliever.

Tragg
06-10-2002, 02:18 AM
A few other Schueler moves:

The signing of pitching great Kirk Mckaskill - how productive he was.

The signing of Doug Drabek.

Letting productive pitchers eric king and greg hibbard leave for nothing (one in the expansion draft).

While sosa is a "me" player, what in the world was Bell? He killed our chemistry. IN addition, Bell was unproductive with the Sox - his 112 RBIs were compliments of Frank Thomas and Tim Raines, and his obp was miserably low (.300 or less).

Schueler may have been better than Williams, probably was so far, but he wasn't very good. Far more bad signings and trades than good ones.

LongDistanceFan
06-10-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
A few other Schueler moves:

The signing of pitching great Kirk Mckaskill - how productive he was.

The signing of Doug Drabek.

Letting productive pitchers eric king and greg hibbard leave for nothing (one in the expansion draft).

While sosa is a "me" player, what in the world was Bell? He killed our chemistry. IN addition, Bell was unproductive with the Sox - his 112 RBIs were compliments of Frank Thomas and Tim Raines, and his obp was miserably low (.300 or less).

Schueler may have been better than Williams, probably was so far, but he wasn't very good. Far more bad signings and trades than good ones. yet he was to assemble a good team, the same team that kw is dismantling........ for nothing, thru lousy trades and mismanagement.

chisoxt
06-10-2002, 08:51 AM
Schueler may have been better than Williams, probably was so far, but he wasn't very good. Far more bad signings and trades than good ones.

Good point, Schueler was a miserable GM his first years. Also, don't forget about him leaving the door open for Jeff Torborg to leave and then hiring the soporific Gene Lamont, who ultimately was replaced with the biggest bufoon ever to mange in baseball-Terry bevington. That said, I do think that late in his carreer as a GM, the little light clicked on inside his head and Schu became a decent GM. But who knows, maybe he just had good people under him who did all of the work.

Procol Harum
06-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Schuler was mediocre at his best--and in that I acknowledge Chisoxt's point that he improved toward the end of his career. Overall, his trade record (and perhaps, more damning, his inability to pull the trigger at other times) and his "understanding" of on-the-field leadership (letting Torborg slip away, hiring Lamont and BEVINGTON--good Lord, I still can't believe that this guy actually managed the Sox)left much to be desired. While he certainly would be an improvement over Lenny, I'd hardly be enthusiastic about our future with his return to the helm. Of course, it's all kind of a no-win situation (pun half-intended). Whoever he hired, the fact that Reinsdorf would think he could work with someone to the extent of hiring him as GM has to automatically raise a red flag (or perhaps a white flag?) about his personality and competence.

foulkesfan11
06-10-2002, 10:33 AM
Schuler sucked! He was lucky that all of those young players were good when called up. I'm so sick of everyone giving him credit for putting a good team together. All he did was turn fans away by getting rid of our good players. I'm not a KW fan either, but Schu would have never went after Kenny Lofton!

LongDistanceFan
06-10-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
Schuler sucked! He was lucky that all of those young players were good when called up. I'm so sick of everyone giving him credit for putting a good team together. All he did was turn fans away by getting rid of our good players. I'm not a KW fan either, but Schu would have never went after Kenny Lofton!

it was during his tenure that the good talent came around, so whether it was luck or not, he gets the credit............ in addition, how do you know that he wouldn't have signed kenny lo?