PDA

View Full Version : Champaign in the other clubhouse?

kingpin_rcs
09-23-2009, 06:52 PM
There is a good chance that Detroit will come into the Cell and be celebrating a an AL Central Division championship in the visitor clubhouse of US cellular field. I know the Sox have had plastic sheets hanging in their clubhouse (current ballpark) only twice (1993 and 2008).

How many times has the visiting team celebrated in the visitor clubhouse in new Comiskey/the Cell?

I know Toronto did in the 1993 ALCS and Minnesota did in 2003 (or was it 2004?). Have there been any others?

chisoxfanatic
09-23-2009, 07:00 PM
It's almost impossible for the Tigers to celebrate clinching the division here in Chicago. They'd have to have a 7-game lead on the Twins going into the final week of the season. It's not going to happen.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Minnesota did it in Chicago earlier this decade. If memory serves, Kenny Rogers pitched that night for the Twins. The same Kenny Rogers whom Kenny offered one million to, to become the Sox 5th starter. Minnesota offered two million...Kenny said 'he's yours.'

Rogers won 12 or 13 games that season while the Sox 5th starters were dismal....all for one million dollars.

Lip

samurai_sox
09-23-2009, 07:09 PM
the rays did last year when they eliminated the sox in the ALDS.

Daver
09-23-2009, 07:27 PM
There is no way that the city of Champaign is going to fit into the ballpark.

kittle42
09-23-2009, 07:33 PM

Let alone just the clubhouse! Maybe they'd settle for Rantoul.

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2009, 07:46 PM
No room for Urbana either.

hellenicsoxfan
09-23-2009, 07:49 PM
I prefer to think of the times the Sox celebrated in the visitor's clubhouse - like in Detroit, Boston, Anaheim and Houston, for example.

doublem23
09-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Let alone just the clubhouse! Maybe they'd settle for Rantoul.

Sounds like you've never been to Rantoul.

Brian26
09-23-2009, 08:10 PM

Awesome.

TommyJohn
09-23-2009, 08:11 PM
I prefer to think of the times the Sox celebrated in the visitor's clubhouse - like in Detroit, Boston, Anaheim and Houston, for example.

Quit living in the past. *sneer*

Oh, yeah. Cincinnati celebrated in the clubhouse of old Ghettosky Fields *sneer* *sneer*

TommyJohn
09-23-2009, 08:15 PM
I remember that the Yankees clinched the AL East in Chicago in 2003-it happened a few days before the Cubs clinched the NL Central, making it the first time in who knows how long that two baseball title clinchers were played in Chicago in one year. (That year saw a total of three, actually-Yankees, Cubs, and Marlins.) The last time two title clinchers took place in one year in Chicago was..........2008. My, how time flies.

Note: I know three title clinchers took place here in 1983 as well-besides the White Sox, the Phillies clinched the NL East here and of course Baltimore won the AL pennant in old Comiskey.

tacosalbarojas
09-24-2009, 12:45 AM
I remember that the Yankees clinched the AL East in Chicago in 2003-it happened a few days before the Cubs clinched the NL Central, making it the first time in who knows how long that two baseball title clinchers were played in Chicago in one year. (That year saw a total of three, actually-Yankees, Cubs, and Marlins.) The last time two title clinchers took place in one year in Chicago was..........2008. My, how time flies.

Note: I know three title clinchers took place here in 1983 as well-besides the White Sox, the Phillies clinched the NL East here and of course Baltimore won the AL pennant in old Comiskey.i was at that Yankee clincher in 2003...what a bummer.

Jurr
09-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Actually, the Twins clinched the 2004 AL Central at the Cell. Disgusting.

PorkChopExpress
09-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Actually, I don't think there is any way the Tigers will be celebrating in the Cell this year. I believe their magic number is 8. So even if they win the next three and the Twins lose the next three, their magic number will still only be down to 2.

That being said, it seems like there have been more celebrations in the visitors' clubhouse than in the home team's clubhouse at the Cell.

BringBackBlkJack
09-25-2009, 01:14 PM
That being said, it seems like there have been more celebrations in the visitors' clubhouse than in the home team's clubhouse at the Cell.

It would seem that way, especially considering the 2005 World Series club won their AL Central clincher in Detoilet (if my memory serves me correctly), and won all postseason series on the road. But does it really matter where they celebrate, as long as they have something worth celebrating?

PorkChopExpress
09-25-2009, 02:13 PM
It would seem that way, especially considering the 2005 World Series club won their AL Central clincher in Detoilet (if my memory serves me correctly), and won all postseason series on the road. But does it really matter where they celebrate, as long as they have something worth celebrating?

I'd just like to be there for our team's celebrations rather than our rivals'. And while celebrating anywhere is good, celebrating at home would be better.

cub killer
09-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Actually, the Twins clinched the 2004 AL Central at the Cell. Disgusting.I remember that. It was on the penultimate Monday night of the season. The Sox, being in 2nd, were simultaneously eliminated with the Twins' clinching.

After the final out, the Twins leisurely trotted out to the infield for a low-key celebration, As the game ended, Hawk respectfully said "And congratulations to the Minnesota Twins". No hard feelings from the Hawk, nor from the sparse crowd who expected the inevitable.

Little did we all know what was to come the following season.

Warriorjan
09-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Ozzie wanted all the Sox players to stay and watch the Twins celebrate, if they clinched it here, as a kind of lesson. He sat on the bench and watched. I sat in my seat and watched in solidarity, although I was almost sick at the thought. Most of the Sox players actually didn't stay, one of the few who did was Joe Crede, as I remember.

waldo_the_wolf
09-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Also, the Indians clinched the divison at the cell in 1996.

35th&Shields
09-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Didn't Paul Konerko run around the bases without his pants on in Minnesota in 2000? That's the strangest story about clinching in another team's ballpark I've ever heard.

Rocky Soprano
09-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Didn't Paul Konerko run around the bases without his pants on in Minnesota in 2000? That's the strangest story about clinching in another team's ballpark I've ever heard.

Did he run any faster?

Lip Man 1
09-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Sox clinchers:

1959 - At Cleveland
1983 - At home vs. Seattle
1993 - At home vs. Seattle
2000 - At Minnesota
2005 - (Division) At Detroit
(LDS)- At Boston
(LCS)- At Los Angeles
(WS) - At Houston
2008 - At home vs. Minnesota

Lip

chisoxfanatic
09-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I'd just like to be there for our team's celebrations rather than our rivals'. And while celebrating anywhere is good, celebrating at home would be better.
It sure is. I will never forget the feeling after we won the Blackout game last year. There was a slight chill in the air, but I got even more chills after BA made that final catch. The crowd was insane! I was so fortunate to be part of that crowd.

Then, seeing guys like AJ and Swisher and Buehrle getting on the scoreboard with the microphone and a bunch of guys running around the warning track with champagne bottles...it made things much sweeter. Having them be able to celebrate with us made it extra special.

There is only one game I had previously attended where I stayed at the ballpark longer after the game had ended--ALCS Game 2.

kingpin_rcs
09-26-2009, 05:08 PM

I remember that they lost that game. It's odd to see a celebration after the team lost.

thechico
09-26-2009, 05:13 PM
No room for Urbana either.

Maybe room for Neoga? :)

kingpin_rcs
09-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Sox clinchers:

1959 - At Cleveland
1983 - At home vs. Seattle
1993 - At home vs. Seattle
2000 - At Minnesota
2005 - (Division) At Detroit
(LDS)- At Boston
(LCS)- At Los Angeles
(WS) - At Houston
2008 - At home vs. Minnesota

Lip

Good work as always Lip. Do you have any idea when or where they cliched the league championships in 1906,1917 and 1919?

Did teams celebrate at all back then? Today a lot of it is for the cameras and the fans. Celebrating each round like they do seems a little excesive - especially for teams that seem to get there every year.

TornLabrum
09-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Maybe room for Neoga? :)
I'm thinking they could probably fit Loda into the clubhouse.