PDA

View Full Version : A night to remember

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2009, 05:04 AM
Hard to believe but us oldtimers will never forget that 50 years ago last night our White Sox won their first AL pennant in 40 years.
My family and I were glued to the TV and what an ending with Sox ahead 4-2 as closer Gerry Staley came in the 9th inning with 1 out and the bases loaded, threw 1 pitch to Vic Power who hit a grounder to Aparicio who stepped on second and threw out Power for the DP.
This 13 year old almost hit the ceiling in celebration, 10 minutes later the Air Raid sirens were blasting all over the city. I knew why they were going off but I guess a lot of people had no idea. (The Russians would not have bombed us at the time because Khruschev was visiting the USA at the time, I think he was at Disneyland that afternoon.)

Lip Man 1
09-23-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2128

Lip

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-23-2009, 12:48 PM
I wish the game was better covered like it is nowadays. I'd love to see more color or b/w film/pictures of the team. What's the point of being a Sox fan if you can only appreciate the present?

Happy Anni to the Go! Go! Sox!

LITTLE NELL
09-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Great point, in all these years I have never seen hi-lites of the game, WGN televised the game and I wonder if they have any video of it.
I have seen videos of the 59 World Series as I'm sure most of us have, but I would love to have a video of the pennant clincher.
At the time the news shows in Chicago always showed filmed hi-lites of games so I'm 99% sure there is no actual video tape of the game, a real bummer.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2009, 04:58 PM
There is no actual film of the WGN broadcast remaining that I know of. It was probably thrown out along with thousands of feet of film in 1962 when WGN moved into their 'new' studios on West Bradley Place. All of it was tossed into an alley for removal.

I actually have the newsreel footage that used to be shown in movie houses before the feature film of the pennant clincher, it's narrated by Ed Herllihy.

The reason the Sox or MLB don't have a lot of actual video before say the mid 1970's is because the Sox don't have that material anymore.

According to a number of folks that I've spoken with (see Bob Grim's interview with WSI) when the current ownership group took over, that material (what their was) had disappeared. Speculation centers around the Veeck family having taken it but I have no proof of that.

Lip

TommyJohn
09-23-2009, 05:24 PM
There is no actual film of the WGN broadcast remaining that I know of. It was probably thrown out along with thousands of feet of film in 1962 when WGN moved into their 'new' studios on West Bradley Place. All of it was tossed into an alley for removal.

I actually have the newsreel footage that used to be shown in movie houses before the feature film of the pennant clincher, it's narrated by Ed Herllihy.

The reason the Sox or MLB don't have a lot of actual video before say the mid 1970's is because the Sox don't have that material anymore.

According to a number of folks that I've spoken with (see Bob Grim's interview with WSI) when the current ownership group took over, that material (what their was) had disappeared. Speculation centers around the Veeck family having taken it but I have no proof of that.

LipI remember watching a film on the newseum website in 2005. I want to say it was the WGN broadcast or some news from that night, they talk about the White Sox clincher and get a few words from Jack Brickhouse-they showed a little snippet of the game-in which Aparicio scoops up a grounder, hits second and throws to first. I believe that that may be the pennant-clinching play. As I said, it was only a few seconds on a news clip. It was put up in 2005, and someone here posted a link to it. I actually don't remember if it was newseum or some other site. But I remember seeing the highlight of the game as part of the video clip.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2009, 05:30 PM
TJ:

That was the pennant clinching play, they also have some of Brickhouse's interviews done on the plane back to Chicago that aired the next day. That Aparicio play though is the newsreel footage with Brickhouse's audio dubbed over it, if memory serves...the actual game broadcast of the play like the game itself disappeared many, many years ago.

I believe this material can be found at the Chicago Museum of Broadcasting (or a name like that)

Lip

Medford Bobby
09-23-2009, 06:47 PM
TJ:

That was the pennant clinching play, they also have some of Brickhouse's interviews done on the plane back to Chicago that aired the next day. That Aparicio play though is the newsreel footage with Brickhouse's audio dubbed over it, if memory serves...the actual game broadcast of the play like the game itself disappeared many, many years ago.

I believe this material can be found at the Chicago Museum of Broadcasting (or a name like that)

Lip
Then is that newseum audio from my Dad's archive reel to reel collection or has this audio 9th inning portion always been floating around??:scratch:

Lip Man 1
09-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Just the final out, not the entire 9th inning like you discovered and sent me.

Lip

TommyJohn
09-23-2009, 07:25 PM
TJ:

LipWell, at least the last play is preserved-video if not audio.

It is a shame that none of that stuff is around anymore. But I remember Fenway writing that videotape back then was huge, bulky and expensive to maintain. Plus, no one thought that it would have any value to anyone years on down the line.

The same thing happened with the Tonight Show-Johnny Carson's first 10 years on the show were wiped out-some clips remain from a highlight reel, but entire shows are gone forever, including Carson's first show on 10/1/62.

Medford Bobby
09-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Well, at least the last play is preserved-video if not audio.

It is a shame that none of that stuff is around anymore. But I remember Fenway writing that videotape back then was huge, bulky and expensive to maintain. Plus, no one thought that it would have any value to anyone years on down the line.

The same thing happened with the Tonight Show-Johnny Carson's first 10 years on the show were wiped out-some clips remain from a highlight reel, but entire shows are gone forever, including Carson's first show on 10/1/62.
Yea but why did many 1960's game shows get preserved and not more important entertainment shows like Johnny's show??:angry:

chisox59
09-23-2009, 10:54 PM
There's quite a bit of clips on the Chicago Museum of Broadcasting webstite in regards to this including video of the last out.

http://www.museum.tv/whitesox-1959.php

Lip Man 1
09-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Chisox:

As stated earlier and having watched the material again from the link you provided, that's the UPI newsreel footage of the game (which I have, narrated by another person). That is not the actual game footage shown by WGN-TV from that night.

That's long gone. They dubbed Jack's call of the last out over the footage.

Lip

chisox59
09-24-2009, 12:13 AM
As I look at it again Lip I tend to agree with you. When they flash to the Sox dugout just before the pitch is thrown you can see a number 8 which would have been Ted Kluszewski but he's over at first base. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the first audio clip on this site that was over an hour in length. I sat here with a smile on my face listening to the players being interviewed and eventually departing the plane with the noise from the crowd in the background. I was suddenly taken back 50 years and felt like a 9 year old kid again.

LITTLE NELL
09-24-2009, 04:40 AM
There's quite a bit of clips on the Chicago Museum of Broadcasting webstite in regards to this including video of the last out.

http://www.museum.tv/whitesox-1959.php
Thanks for finding those clips, brought teardrops to my eyes plus a few goosebumps. IIRC there were 50,000 fans out at Midway at 2AM to welcome the champs home, wish I could have been there with them.

PS I'm not too sure that is the final out clip, first of all it looks like a day game(look at the shadows as Power is running to first) and I'm also quite sure that Klu did not go down to his knees to catch Aparicio's throw. IIRC the throw was caught at shoulder height and Klu immediately ran to the pitchers mound to celebrate, in this clip he stays down for a second or 2. A couple more points the bases were loaded and no one is running from first to second and Brickhouse's call of the play is entirely different from the original clip on WSI.

SI1020
09-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Regarding the air raid sirens, some people knew it was to celebrate the White Sox winning the pennant. Others were sure that WWIII had commenced and they were about to die, and still others were confused and not sure what to think.

It's a tragedy that so much irreplaceable film is lost forever. Like many kids of my era I watched a ton of Sox and Cub games on WGN and will just have to make do with little snippets of memory here and there.