PDA

View Full Version : hi im skot's little sister's White Sox wish

hi im skot
09-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090922&content_id=7097754&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws).

I can't tell you how awesome the White Sox were Monday afternoon. Beckham spent plenty of time with Morgan, gave her a game-used autographed bat as well as batting gloves. He couldn't have been nicer, and Sox fans should be proud to have such a good guy on the team.

Aside from Gordon, Morgan got autographs (and hugs) from Quentin, Konerko, Podsednik, AJ, Getz, Nix, Lillibridge, and Baines. Jermaine Dye talked with her for a bit and gave her his batting gloves, and Jake Peavy snuck out of an interview to sign her baseball and give her his glove.

I think Morgan's biggest moment was when Ozzie came to see her. He gave her a hug and signed her baseball, but then run off with the promise that he would return in a moment. He came back with one of his game-used jerseys and invited her over to his spot on the bench. Ozzie spent a good ten minutes talking with her and goofing off. He then asked if our family had any plans to attend any more games this season. Morgan told him that we had a couple tickets for Saturday night's game, and Ozzie said to forget about those tickets, as he'd make sure our entire family would have V.I.P. seating behind the on-deck circle. His one condition was that Morgan comes to say hi to him before the game.

Even with an ugly game, it was one of the most enjoyable nights I've ever had, and I'm sure Morgan would echo that sentiment.

Again, the White Sox went above and beyond to make Morgan's night memorable, and there's no question that she's now a fan for life.

I'll try to post some pictures when I get the chance.

DirtySox
09-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Awesome.

Not much else to say.

Brian26
09-22-2009, 10:19 PM
:thumbsup:

Awesome story.

Jerko
09-22-2009, 10:20 PM
:thumbsup:

DumpJerry
09-22-2009, 10:24 PM
So.......did Kenny come up to you to discuss some of the "suggestions" you've posted on WSI?:tongue:

Great story, shows what a class operation we have at 35th and Shields!

JohnTucker0814
09-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Great story... hopefully she had the time of her life! Seems like a great group of guys in that clubhouse and Ozzie seems like he is #1 ambassador for White Sox Baseball!

hi im skot
09-22-2009, 10:33 PM
So.......did Kenny come up to you to discuss some of the "suggestions" you've posted on WSI?:tongue:

:D:

Not quite, though Morgan did get a chance to talk to Reinsdorf; she gave him lots of grief for trading Thome.

DumpJerry
09-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Not quite, though Morgan did get a chance to talk to Reinsdorf; she gave him lots of grief for trading Thome.
I met Reiny once last January. Got my pic with him. Yup. Jerry meets Dumpjerry!

GoGoCrede
09-22-2009, 10:40 PM
That is beautiful. I welled up. She sounds so great. I loved her question to AJ about his hair. Beckham sounds like he did a good job stepping in for Thome, though I'm sorry she couldn't meet him.

All the guys sounded like they were phenomenal to her.

She sounds so cool. :gulp:I'd have been speechless if I were her, but she seemed to handle it all well.

milrtyme28
09-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Wow - that's a great experience and fantastic to hear. I welled up a little bit myself.

thomas35forever
09-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Awesome stuff. We sometimes forget that what these guys do off the field is a lot more important than what they do on it.

BoysMom3
09-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Thank you so much for sharing, Skot. That made me tear up. Beautiful story. Two thumbs up.

soxinem1
09-22-2009, 11:09 PM
That is a great story. Sometimes we get caught up in the game so much we forget the little things that make baseball, and life, so special.

Our kids, and siblings, are often influenced by their experiences when they are young.

No doubt a new fan for life was created.

And not to get off topic, but there are two instances I can recall that helped make people I know or heard of White Sox fans for life.

20 years ago Harold Baines stopped and signed my sister's foul ball. Any wonder why she has my niece 'brainwashed' White Sox?

The second was a story I read a few years ago about a family from rural Indiana that was looking for a major league team to adopt.

They sent letters to the White Sox, Reds, Indians, Brewers, and cubs.

The Reds and Indians sent them season ticket brochures.

The Brewers sent them a season schedule and a 'Thanks for the inquiry' letter.

The cubs did not respond.

The White Sox sent a media guide, yearbook, schedule, and four game tickets and a thank you letter from Minnie Minoso.

So with these stories and skot's sister's great experience, isn't it obvious that the White Sox are the team to be a part of???

Rocky Soprano
09-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks for sharing. Reading this put a smile on my face and it really put things to perspective. No matter how unhappy we have been with this season, this really brightens it up a ton.

My best to your sister and your entire family.

Woofer
09-22-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm glad and proud that we have good people on our team. Great story, sounds like she had a great time.

doublem23
09-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Saw that on the news this afternoon. That's a terrific story. Puts the whole ****ty season in perspective really quickly.

october23sp
09-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Awesome. Beckham seems like the greatest (nicest) player of all-time already. He really seems down to earth in interviews and doing this. White Sox are awesome and I'm glad she got to have a special day with them.

chisox616
09-22-2009, 11:29 PM
What a great story, it's always great to hear about stuff like this. Can't wait for the pictures.

tstrike2000
09-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Very nice story, especially since we focus so much on what goes on on the field, nice to hear stories like this off the field.

Rohan
09-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Another great make a wish story. And I love White Sox ones. The thing that makes this one really special for me is that our own Hi im Skot is connected to the story...

Normally these stories are really feel good and warm. But this one is very tangible, real, and down to earth. This girl really exists, and was really treated to a day of a life time. Incredible!

manders_01
09-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Sounds like your whole family, especially your sister, had a great time. I'm truly proud (although really have no right to be) of the greeting the guys gave your sister. Lesser men wouldn't have taken the time. Can't wait to see the pictures and enjoy Saturday's game!

WhiteSox1989
09-22-2009, 11:51 PM
That really is awesome. I'm glad she had a good time.

voodoochile
09-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing and so cool that the Sox went out of their way like that.

SOXfnNlansing
09-23-2009, 12:13 AM
:)

AJRoxMyWhiteSox
09-23-2009, 12:25 AM
That's a great story. Echoing other sentiments, I'm glad she had a great time. We've got a great bunch of guys here.

And I'm jealous she got to touch AJ's hair. :wink:

Noneck
09-23-2009, 01:26 AM
I would think an experience like this would give me a totally new perspective. From afar we are able to bitch and complain about their short comings as players but the closer we get to guys that truly care about others, what they do on the field means less and less. They become caring human beings, not robots that entertain us.

I have complained that one of the reasons this team can't win is because they are a bunch of choirboys, for your sisters sake, I am sure glad they are.

beasly213
09-23-2009, 09:42 AM
I loved the Ozzie part about the Story. :)Thanks for sharing!

Law11
09-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for sharing. Reading this put a smile on my face and it really put things to perspective. No matter how unhappy we have been with this season, this really brightens it up a ton.

My best to your sister and your entire family.

My sentiments exactly Rock..

MeteorsSox4367
09-23-2009, 10:07 AM
For all the crap that Ozzie takes for having a foul mouth, this just proves that there is much more to the man than just his ability to drop f-bombs. I've always been a big Ozzie fan and this just proves my point.

Glad to see the little girl had a great time and that she's a Sox fan.

Just wondering if Rios promised to ground out to short three times for her or flail away helplessly at sliders down and away.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Thread of the year. Thank you for telling us about it, skot.

kobo
09-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Awesome story. Great way to start the day. This is why I love the White Sox.

salty99
09-23-2009, 11:12 AM
I saw you guys over there. Were you the one with the Cora jersey on? That must have been a day to remember forever.

spawn
09-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Awesome stuff. We sometimes forget that what these guys do off the field is a lot more important than what they do on it.
Excellent point. That's why I hesitate getting personal when discussing a player. They are human, just like the rest of us.

That is an absolutely awsome story. I welled up myself reading it.

Dick Allen
09-23-2009, 12:34 PM
What a great story. That'll make it that much sweeter when (not if) this group of good guys wins the World Series again.

kufram
09-23-2009, 12:53 PM
This story illustrates why I think it wrong to refer to players as "bums" and "useless" and any other derogatory expletive. As a fan one can only see a one dimensional view of a player and although a fan has every right to express dissatifaction with how someone performs on the field (I'm thinking Linebrink, lately) there is no excuse for name calling and attacks that sometimes seem personal.

I'm glad to hear this story and it shows how wrong people are to attack the White Sox as an organization. Thank you, skot

#1swisher
09-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Sounds like she had a great time with Beckham and AJ:redneck +the rest of the "Good Guys"

Zisk77
09-23-2009, 01:10 PM
For all the crap that Ozzie takes for having a foul mouth, this just proves that there is much more to the man than just his ability to drop f-bombs. I've always been a big Ozzie fan and this just proves my point.

Glad to see the little girl had a great time and that she's a Sox fan.

Just wondering if Rios promised to ground out to short three times for her or flail away helplessly at sliders down and away.

My brothers best friend works for TBS sports (got me playoff tix last year). he grew up in Carolina and Georgia so was not a sox fan to say the least. In fact he always teased us about the sox and Bears. after covering the playoffs he raved about what a first class organization the sox had and how accommadating the employees were. He also loved Ozzie. True he was a great quote. But just a half hr before gametime Ozzie over heard my bros friend and another TBS employee discussing how his son was struggling at hitting. So Ozzie gave that guy an inprompto hitting lesson on the spot (i bet the kid hasn't had a walk since :o:).

mark2olson
09-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Very well written; your story evoked many emotions, nicely done!

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a wonderful time at the Cell! It's good to hear we have a bunch of class acts on our squad and that they go way beyond the call of duty.

As other have pointed out, this article is exactly why I frown upon folks bashing our players with words that have nothing to do with their preformance on the field. Think about if you were having a difficult month at the office and becuase of it your co-workers started calling you a bum and such. There is not one player on the 2009 squad that we are allowed to say anything personal about. Now on the northside...that's a different story!

QueerGirrl
09-23-2009, 02:09 PM
That's fantastic stuff skot!! I wonder if her feet have touched the ground yet! What a wonderful story and an awesome day for you, your sister and your family. This just adds to my White Sox love, no matter how much they drive me crazy, they are my (and our) team and they are awesome!! All the best to your little sister!!

bridgeportcopper
09-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Hope you guys (most importantly your sister) had a great time. Make-A-wish is an outstanding organization. As are the White Sox. At the end of the day, whether they are struggling or not, how could ya stay mad at this team after stories like that one?

soxfanreggie
09-23-2009, 07:22 PM
You can't beat things like this. Truly a first class organization spending time with someone who is a first class fan!

BadBobbyJenks
09-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Got a little dusty in here when I read this thread. Great stuffy Skotty. Hope she had a better time than she ever imagined.

southside rocks
09-23-2009, 09:21 PM
That was great, I am very happy for your sister and I think it's very classy of the Sox organization to be as involved in community and charity things as they are.

Jjav829
09-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Great story!

Great job by the Sox in providing Morgan with an experience she'll never forget. :thumbsup:

areilly
09-23-2009, 11:02 PM
What a wonderful story, Skot. Thank you for sharing that, and please tell your sister exactly how insanely jealous we WSIers are of her day at the park.

KRS1
09-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Your sister is awesome, Skot.

veeter
09-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Very cool story. I'm always very impressed by the White Sox. And I have to say, mostly with Ozzie.

soxrme
09-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for sharing.

grenda12
09-24-2009, 02:33 PM
That's a great story. Echoing other sentiments, I'm glad she had a great time. We've got a great bunch of guys here.

And I'm jealous she got to touch AJ's hair. :wink:

Im there with you with being jealous of touching AJs hair.

Great story. Glad she had a good time.

white sox bill
09-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Great story Skot...and I hope the best for your Sister too. Is the prognosis encouraging? I've never heard of that condition before. Good luck either way

Frontman
09-25-2009, 06:34 PM
The beauty of baseball.

That on any given day, on any given moment, at any given game:

Something special can happen.

Major thumbs up to the White Sox. And God bless your sister Morgan, my friend.

As someone said, it puts it all into perspective.

stillz
09-25-2009, 10:13 PM
What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. Like some others have said, it puts the game in perspective, and helps us remember why the organization is in a class by itself.

jmeneghini1433
09-26-2009, 04:10 PM
That's awesome. Good for her.:)

MarySwiss
09-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Wonderful story, Skot! And I too cannot wait for the pictures.

This is one of the things that is really, really great about being Sox fans. We root for a team that has a class organization; one that knows how to give back to the community. :smile:

hi im skot
12-25-2009, 04:29 PM
A little Christmas gift, I guess, as I'm finally getting around to posting these on WSI. They're all on my Facebook page, and the Sox-related stuff starts on page 6.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2193715&id=30400792&l=367135aa7f

A couple of my favorites:

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs207.snc1/7426_626412203065_30400792_36290297_1379947_n.jpg

The kid in the background's stink-eye is amazing!

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs227.snc1/7426_625941616125_30400792_36271948_6701915_n.jpg

Ozzie was a complete sweetheart and spent a ton of time with Morgan.

Enjoy, everyone, and thanks again for all the comments!

JermaineDye05
12-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Great Story.

Jake Peavy snuck out of an interview to sign her baseball and give her his glove.

This is awesome.

And what Ozzie did was great as well.

Lip Man 1
12-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Appropriate this being Christmas!

Well done by all.

Lip

GoGoCrede
12-26-2009, 12:46 AM
LOL that kid in the background is hilarious. Total green-eyed monster.

Ozzie's face lights up when he smiles. Your sister is very pretty and it looks like she did have a great time. They look like total BFFs. :smile: It's nice to know our guys are so great off the field.

This is great story. I take it Beckham is her favorite player now? :D:

chisoxfanatic
12-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Did anyone else get a little teary-eyed when looking through those photos?

I think I liked the one with her and AJ the best, although all of them are awesome. What a wonderful story!

What were the white things she had hanging around her neck? Was that just part of a necklace?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Those are wonderful pictures, and I am really happy for your sister...that must have been a wonderful experience for her. :smile:

thomas35forever
12-26-2009, 02:20 AM
Great photos.

On another note, are the trophies from '05 really no longer behind home plate? I haven't been in the lower level since '07.

october23sp
12-26-2009, 03:35 AM
That picture where her and Ozzie look deep in conversation is awesome. Being honest, those pictures brought a tear to my eye...

Edit: You stayed at the same hotel I did this summer from the looks of those pictures.

KRS1
12-26-2009, 03:58 AM
Awesome pics! My favorite one was with Lillibridge, because it looks like they could be the same age. Seriously, he could be the one giant kid (that we all knew growing up) in her class.

KRS1
12-26-2009, 04:03 AM
What were the white things she had hanging around her neck? Was that just part of a necklace?

It's a tracheostomy tube. I guess community service at a nursing home when I was 16 did teach me something after all!

chisoxfanatic
12-26-2009, 04:07 AM
Great photos.

On another note, are the trophies from '05 really no longer behind home plate? I haven't been in the lower level since '07.
The trophies are in the ballpark's main lobby, which is inside the doors at 35th and Shields. I saw them there when I picked up the tickets for a group outing I organized late this past season.

white sox bill
12-26-2009, 09:21 AM
So skot tell us, hows she doing? Hopefully nothing short of outstanding..

skobabe8
12-26-2009, 11:57 AM
skot,

What an incredible story. I couldn't understand for a moment how I had not seen this before, but then I looked at the date and it was during my honeymoon so I completely missed it.

I hope Morgan and your family had a great Christmas!

harwar
12-26-2009, 12:23 PM
those pictures make me smile inside ..