PDA

View Full Version : Doug Melvin think the september call up system is flawed.....

ewokpelts
09-21-2009, 03:17 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090920&content_id=7060926&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Say teams shoud have set # of guys in september.

I say leave it as is. Each team has the RIGHT to call up to 15 additional players. If they chose not too, that's thier fault.

soxinem1
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Also in this article Bobby Cox talks about having extra pitchers in April.

I remember MLB expanding rosters to start the year in 1990, but that was because of the lockout and short ST.

I'm not sure this benefits either the sport or the team, but it does allow more time for the usual ST phenoms to either fall back to earth, or pan out.

MarkZ35
09-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't really see the point of his argument. Is it because the bigger market teams can afford to buy the major league contracts of as many minor leaguers as they want? If that's what it is then he should be complaining about not having a salary cap. Each time is entitled to 15 extra guys. If you dont do it and it costs you then that is your fault.

TDog
09-21-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't really see the point of his argument. Is it because the bigger market teams can afford to buy the major league contracts of as many minor leaguers as they want? If that's what it is then he should be complaining about not having a salary cap. Each time is entitled to 15 extra guys. If you dont do it and it costs you then that is your fault.

The 1970 White Sox who ended up finishing 50 games out of first and drew less than 500,000 fans to home games called up a bunch of players at the end of the season. I don't know if they had 40 guys on the bench, but they had 43 players get into games during the season. They couldn't have called up 15 players from the minors in September because they had room to claim reliever Steve Hamilton on waivers from the Yankees, taking on his contract and pitching him in three games. Looking at the roster, it looked like they called up eight players from the minors and picked up two veterans on waiver deals.

But they were a team in serious financial trouble, a team desperately out of contention and yet a team that took advantage of the opportunity to call up future talent for the price of a month's minimum wage.

ewokpelts
09-23-2009, 04:05 PM
I think Melvin's just being cheap.