PDA

View Full Version : Konerko interview at BP

Cambridge
09-21-2009, 06:15 AM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=9553

Noir
09-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Damnit, Paulie...you just made it a hell of a lot harder for me to want you gone. Good article.

doublem23
09-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Damnit, Paulie...you just made it a hell of a lot harder for me to want you gone. Good article.

I still have no idea why people want Paulie gone...

.856 OPS and brilliant defense at 1B... What more does this guy have to do to win people over, walk across Lake Michigan?

ewokpelts
09-21-2009, 09:51 AM

.856 OPS and brilliant defense at 1B... What more does this guy have to do to win people over, walk across Lake Michigan?not be the all time leader in double plays

beasly213
09-21-2009, 09:52 AM

.856 OPS and brilliant defense at 1B... What more does this guy have to do to win people over, walk across Lake Michigan?

Come on now he's not Tim Tebow. :tongue:

Seriously though I want Paulie around for as long as he is productive. I'm also confused as to why anyone would want him gone.

Marqhead
09-21-2009, 09:59 AM

Seriously though I want Paulie around for as long as he is productive. I'm also confused as to why anyone would want him gone.

Because guys, we can get Casey Kotchman to fill in for him cheaper! He'll be just as effective.

guillen4life13
09-21-2009, 10:51 AM

You mean he's not Jacory Harris. He's only Tim Tebow.

ramblinsoxfan11
09-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Good article, I want to see Paulie stay here for plenty more years to come, he's a great hitter and plays a mean first base.

Waysouthsider
09-21-2009, 11:04 AM
this team needs some leadership, he seems to be a solid clubhouse guy, he's had a much better summer this year after last year's thumb injury and he's a decent defensive player...unlike some of our more challenges heroes!

SI1020
09-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Konerko plays a very solid underrated defense. I shudder to think of how many more errors this defensively challenged team would have if not for Konerko often bailing out his infielders.

ChiSoxGirl
09-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Konerko plays a very solid underrated defense. I shudder to think of how many more errors this defensively challenged team would have if not for Konerko often bailing out his infielders.

I agree totally and was going to say the same thing. Konerko has picked more errant throws from the infield than I care to discuss. As it is, we're leading the league in errors and have the lowest fielding percentage. Imagine how much worse those numbers would be if PK wasn't manning first base!

Ranger
09-21-2009, 12:11 PM
not be the all time leader in double plays

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Do you even have numbers to support this? He's not even in the top 40 in the American League in GIDPs.

Konerko has 13 this year. That's 14 fewer than Evan Longoria. Less than Mike Lowell, Dustin Pedroia, Michael Cuddyer, Aaron Hill, Derek Jeter, AJ, Jacoby Ellsbury, Michael Young, and so on. He has the same as amount as Alexei does. Konerko has had a very good offensive year and it really isn't debatable.

Let's stop with the parroting of common misconceptions and start examining players for ourselves. Just because a guy is slow, doesn't mean he leads the world in double plays.

tacosalbarojas
09-21-2009, 12:13 PM
not be the all time leader in double plays
He can turn a 3-6-3 with the best of them, no doubt about it.

FielderJones
09-21-2009, 12:45 PM
But, but, he credits Greg Walker as one the people who has helped him develop as a hitter. WSI has told me Walker sucks. Who should I believe, my lying eyes or Paulie's .278/.352/.492 line this year.

TDog
09-21-2009, 12:48 PM

I can recall going to Sox games when Jose Canseco was DHing and hearing people talk about how they wanted to get rid of "cray baby" Frank Thomas (who, of course, was injured at the time) in favor of Canseco, who was a better hitter. I'm sure no one will admit to it now.

I don't understand people wanting to get rid of Konerko, either.

The funny thing, back in 2001, there were people in the Sox organization who believed his career wouldn't last another five years.

JB98
09-21-2009, 01:07 PM

He's a "slow-footed slugger." Sox fans hate power hitters.

For those of us who feel defense is a major weakness of the team, it doesn't make sense to want Konerko gone. He's one of the few on this club that actually plays his damn position well.

ewokpelts
09-21-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Do you even have numbers to support this? He's not even in the top 40 in the American League in GIDPs.

Konerko has 13 this year. That's 14 fewer than Evan Longoria. Less than Mike Lowell, Dustin Pedroia, Michael Cuddyer, Aaron Hill, Derek Jeter, AJ, Jacoby Ellsbury, Michael Young, and so on. He has the same as amount as Alexei does. Konerko has had a very good offensive year and it really isn't debatable.

Let's stop with the parroting of common misconceptions and start examining players for ourselves. Just because a guy is slow, doesn't mean he leads the world in double plays.I have lost count of how many rally killers gidpkonerko has created.

FielderJones
09-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I have lost count of how many rally killers gidpkonerko has created.

This year or over his career? You've lost count. Ranger has provided numbers. Who should I trust, your faulty memory or Ranger's stats?

KenBerryGrab
09-21-2009, 01:45 PM
I'll go with the actual numbers over the guy who has lost count.

If all the boppers produced the way Paulie has, we'd be in first place.

beasly213
09-21-2009, 01:53 PM

Let's stop with the parroting of common misconceptions and start examining players for ourselves. Just because a guy is slow, doesn't mean he leads the world in double plays.

BOOM Roasted!

ewokpelts
09-21-2009, 01:59 PM
This year or over his career? You've lost count. Ranger has provided numbers. Who should I trust, your faulty memory or Ranger's stats?perhaps if i hosted a radio show....

Ranger
09-21-2009, 02:04 PM
I have lost count of how many rally killers gidpkonerko has created.

You lost count because you don't know to begin with.

perhaps if i hosted a radio show....

It's probably a good thing you don't if the former statement is an indication of your ability to support a faulty argument. Or maybe I mean "inability."

Just a poor effort.

johnny bench
09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
I like Konerko, and agree that he has performed well this year. But isn't there some accountability beyond stats for the captain of a team that seems to be playing without heart? Has Paulie provided more than silent leadership?

twinsuck
09-21-2009, 02:52 PM

That's true, I think Paulie has hit into a lot less DPs this year than last year.

fram40
09-21-2009, 02:54 PM
not that I wish to get in the middle of a sniping contest between Ranger and Ewok - especially when I agree with Ranger. I love PK and he is one of my favorite players of all time and I hope he remains productive for another three/four years.

But ...

PK is the all time leader in GIDP for the White Sox. according to baseball-reference.com He has 212 - second is Frank with 189 with about 2000 less ABs. And I believe ewok said "not be the all time leader in GIDPs"

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/leaders_bat.shtml

Rocky Soprano
09-21-2009, 03:03 PM
I like PK, he has the ability to carry the team. On the flip side, his prolonged slumps in previous years have really hurt us. He is having a great 09 which is great to see.

I also wish he was more outspoken. Guillen calls him the captain yet it doesn't seem that PK is the type of person that can go into the clubhouse and rally the guys. He's called some guys out in the papers in years past (Frank) but I've never heard of him actually "leading" in the clubhouse. I may be wrong but I just don't recall a single instance where he stood up to the team and got them to wake up. I don't doubt that everyone respects him but I just don't see "captain" when it comes to PK.

Zisk77
09-21-2009, 04:15 PM

Not to defend Ewok or support the exodus of Konerko, but i think the most frustrating thing about Konerkos GIDP versus the aforementioned is that EVERY grounder he hits with men on base is a GIDP even the 17 hoopers in the hole.

spawn
09-21-2009, 04:25 PM
perhaps if i hosted a radio show....
...you would've been off the air before spring training was over.

Ranger
09-21-2009, 06:58 PM
not that I wish to get in the middle of a sniping contest between Ranger and Ewok - especially when I agree with Ranger. I love PK and he is one of my favorite players of all time and I hope he remains productive for another three/four years.

But ...

PK is the all time leader in GIDP for the White Sox. according to baseball-reference.com He has 212 - second is Frank with 189 with about 2000 less ABs. And I believe ewok said "not be the all time leader in GIDPs"

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/leaders_bat.shtml

His implication is that it's a problem and overshadows his offensive contributions. It's like if the following exchange occurred in 2004:

A: "Man, I love that David Ortiz. What more could anyone ask for from a guy like that?"

B: "Could ask him to not have 130 strikeouts."

So he's got more than Frank all-time. And? He's also top 10 in White sox history (and many times top 5) in the following categories:

-HRs
-RBIs
-Walks
-Intentional Walks
-OPS
-SLG
-Runs Scored
-Hits
-Extra base hits
-Total Bases
-AB/HR

If you think you'll have no warts with a player that has produced like that, you're mistaken. Ya know, Frank Thomas made the 3rd most outs in franchise history...does anyone care?

TDog
09-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Not to defend Ewok or support the exodus of Konerko, but i think the most frustrating thing about Konerkos GIDP versus the aforementioned is that EVERY grounder he hits with men on base is a GIDP even the 17 hoopers in the hole.

That isn't close to being true. Sometimes there is no play at second. Sometimes he beats the throw to first. Sometimes Konerko's ground balls go through for hits.

Aside from the names Ranger mentioned, consider Konerko's teammates. Konerko this season has grounded into a double play once every 43.6 plate appearances. Considering stats with Toronto, Rios has grounded into a doubleplay once every 31.3 plate appearances. He has 19 overall. The figure for Quentin is 35.8. Konerko's doubleplay frequency is the same as Ramirez's. Beckham is a little better, grounding into a doubleplay once every 42.5 plate appearances. Getz grounds into a doubleplay once every 100.25 plate appearances. Wise grounds into a doubleplay once every 136 plate appearances, having just grounded into one doubleplay.

No one on the Sox this year has grounded into a triple play (although Aaron Rowand has done so for the Giants) so consider the two worst at-bat results as grounding into a doubleplay and striking out. Konerko does one or the other every 6.1 plate appearances. But for Rios, it's once every 4.86 appearances, worse than Wise, who does one or the other once every 5 appearances. Konerko's batting average is a little higher than Ramirez's, but Ramirez strikes out or grounds into a doubleplay once every 7.56 appearances. Getz does so once every 7.1 appearances. Beckham does so once every 5.6 appearances.

Konerko has a stronger batting average, slugging percentage and on-base percentage than all of the players mentioned in this thread. He has driven in more home runs and RBIs and at least as many doubles as the teammates mentioned. Rios, Getz and Wise have more triples, however.

I don't believe Konerko is a problem.

Frater Perdurabo
09-21-2009, 07:16 PM
As KW transitions to more of an athletic team, with more emphasis on running the bases well, stealing bases, etc., PK will become more valuable to the team. A successful team needs some yin and some yang. On a team filled with powerful sloths, it's wise IMHO to trade one of those powerful sloths to get more speed and athleticism. But with Thome gone and Dye likely gone, moving forward Paulie and Quentin will be the RH run producers. Long-term, I'd like the Sox to sign Carl Crawford to hit third, and develop a leadoff hitter internally (Danks or Mitchell). If so, there's a need to re-sign Paulie, so the 2011-2013 lineup would be:

Danks, Beckham, Crawford, Quentin, Paulie, AJ/Flowers, Rios, Getz, Alexei

Bench: Nix, Kotsay, Viciedo

Hitmen77
09-21-2009, 07:52 PM
As KW transitions to more of an athletic team, with more emphasis on running the bases well, stealing bases, etc., PK will become more valuable to the team. A successful team needs some yin and some yang. On a team filled with powerful sloths, it's wise IMHO to trade one of those powerful sloths to get more speed and athleticism. But with Thome gone and Dye likely gone, moving forward Paulie and Quentin will be the RH run producers. Long-term, I'd like the Sox to sign Carl Crawford to hit third, and develop a leadoff hitter internally (Danks or Mitchell). If so, there's a need to re-sign Paulie, so the 2011-2013 lineup would be:

Danks, Beckham, Crawford, Quentin, Paulie, AJ/Flowers, Rios, Getz, Alexei

Bench: Nix, Kotsay, Viciedo

I keep hearing people hear bring up Crawford. Is there really a likelihood that the Rays won't pick up Crawford's option for 2010? I can't imagine the Rays would just let him go instead of paying him $10 million for one more year.

russ99
09-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Even the fans who want the Sox to go with a more balanced lineup don't want all the sluggers gone. It's still A.L. baseball.

I appreciate what Paul brings to the table. Class guy, just like his buddy Jim.

Maybe when his contract is up he can stick around and DH...

Frater Perdurabo
09-21-2009, 08:07 PM
I keep hearing people hear bring up Crawford. Is there really a likelihood that the Rays won't pick up Crawford's option for 2010? I can't imagine the Rays would just let him go instead of paying him $10 million for one more year.

Well, it's a pipedream for the 2010 season since the Rays do have that 2010 option, but his contract is done for sure after 2010. The latest rumor I heard is that the Rays might be forced to trade him, or pick up his 2010 option and then trade him. If so, we can only hope KW gets in on that action!

russ99
09-21-2009, 08:07 PM

With their small payroll and solid farm system, $10M might be too much. The rumblings I've heard is this decision is based on the Rays need to choose between Crawford and Upton.

Right now I'd say there's a 60% chance that the option is picked up and if it is, then 40% chance he's traded anyway, since they'll get a much better return on Crawford this offseason than as a upcoming FA at the deadline.

My 2 cents on the 2010 Sox post:

Leadoff - Jordan Danks is a year away, Jared Mitchell is two years away. Re-sign Pods as a backup/platoon guy and go after Figgins.

Also, Flowers is 3-5 months in AAA away from anyone even thinking about him supplanting A.J. as starting catcher.

I'd also like to see a more rounded infielder for the bench. Nix just doesn't do it for me at the plate or in the field, regardless of a few homers.

SteveFakeBlood
09-22-2009, 08:31 PM
It's good to see people actually sticking up for Paulie. I haven't seen it as much on this board as I have other places, but people have been calling for Paulie to be traded pretty much every year for the past five years. I don't know what else the guy is supposed to do. He had a bad 2008- but was outstanding in September (when it mattered most), he's been our only consistently good bat this season and has been a quiet leader and a class act. He's played for us for 11 seasons now, is 2nd in team history in home runs and has played solid, if not great, defense at 1st base. And people still want him traded. What happened to respect and loyalty? I understand if a guy continuously lets you down it's time for them to go or if they're impossible to re-sign, but Paulie doesn't fit either of those categories. He's happy to be with the Sox and took less money to stay. He's 33- but he should have the dignity of ending his career here. We're going young in plenty of ways, we can afford to keep one aging slugger, especially since he's STILL ACTUALLY PRODUCTIVE.

~Steve

ewokpelts
09-23-2009, 02:56 PM
...you would've been off the air before spring training was over.then why is mike north or dan mcneil still on?

p.s. yes, i know north's on TV. but it's simply a radio show with tv cameras