PDA

View Full Version : Milton Bradley Suspended for the Rest of the Season

DirtySox
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM
According to Hendry. The circus continues.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/09/bradley-not-with-cubs-hendry-will-address-team.html

Big D
09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/09/bradley-not-with-cubs-hendry-will-address-team.html

Will they be able to find anyone to take him off their hands this offseason? They may end up having to release him and eat his entire salary. At the very least, they'll have to pay most of his salary to convince another team to take him.

WhiteSox5187
09-20-2009, 06:24 PM
What an awful signing that was and I think just about everyone saw that at the time of the deal...well, except for Hendry.

soxfanreggie
09-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Just got the text from ESPN.

What a great signing this is turning out to be. You couldn't ask for better production from him this year. He's such an asset to their clubhouse.

Did any Sox fans not see this coming?

GoGoCrede
09-20-2009, 06:25 PM
He sure brought the laughs this season, so thanks for that.

Athrun
09-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Anyone still want to trade Linebrink for him?

doublem23
09-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Anyone still want to trade Linebrink for him?

Whoever has less money left on their deal, and thus cheaper to just release, is more valuable.

Clembasbal
09-20-2009, 06:36 PM
He'll go to Arizona for Brynes or LAAA for Juan Rivera and either one of those guys will turn out to be solid because there will be little pressure on them with the Tribune saying always "Come on Chicago, at least this guy is better than [Milton] Bradley."

BleacherBandit
09-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Reporters: How long will you be out?
Bradley: "What else you got? Anything significant?"

Apparently, Milton what you'll be out the rest of the season. What else you got?

TDog
09-20-2009, 06:51 PM
What an awful signing that was and I think just about everyone saw that at the time of the deal...well, except for Hendry.

The national media that I was exposed to in Northern California thought it was a great move for the Cubs. People were talking about his numbers in Texas and the fact that Wrigley Field is a hitters park and repeating the myth that he would do even better because the National League is weaker.

southside rocks
09-20-2009, 07:31 PM
When I read that Daily Herald piece this morning I wondered what effect it would have on the Cubs organization. This is an interesting reaction on their part.

Pretty clear that Bradley does not want to be in Chicago next year; wonder how the Cubs will achieve that, since I'm sure they want it too.

DirtySox
09-20-2009, 07:38 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/09/dempster-on-bradley-look-in-the-mirror.html

Teammates comment on the suspension.

slavko
09-20-2009, 08:18 PM
According to Hendry. The circus continues.

I know I wasted my time going there, but one of the posters seems to say that the bleacherites were calling Fukudome the same offensive term they called Bradley. Try to figure out spoiled drunks.

GlassSox
09-20-2009, 09:09 PM
So long to negative influence for all of Chicago>

More details in this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090921/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbn_cubs_bradley_suspended

MeteorsSox4367
09-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Does Bradley's suspension include the NLCS and World Series?

WSox597
09-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Does Bradley's suspension include the NLCS and World Series?

Ha, good one! :D:

WizardsofOzzie
09-20-2009, 11:36 PM
"And you understand why they haven't won in 100 years here, because it's negative. It's what it is."

:rolling:

DrCrawdad
09-20-2009, 11:54 PM

I thought Bradley would do well offensively. Quite a few here said he was a good defender as well. Both were wrong.

Big D
09-21-2009, 12:07 AM
"And you understand why they haven't won in 100 years here, because it's negative. It's what it is."

:rolling:

Cub fans think that Milton Bradley is a jackass, and Bradley thinks that Cub fans are jackasses. Maybe they're both right!

StillMissOzzie
09-21-2009, 01:14 AM
For all of the OTHER reasons we here at WSI thought this was a terrible signing (typical Cub overpayment, too many years, anger management issues, head case, injury prone...), I honestly don't recall "being terrible" as one of the major concerns. Sure, he picked it up some when the heat was off and the race was all but over, but where was he when Aramis Ramirez was injured and the Cubs needed him? Hitting around the Mendoza line, IIRC. And tossing the ball into the stands when only 2 were out, and posing afterwards, will live in Cub infamy for a long, LONG time.

So, does "suspended for conduct detrimental to the Cubs organization" mean that he doesn't get paid for the last 2 weeks? :?:

I think he should have been suspended for the following quote from his Daily Herald interview alone: "You just go out there and play harder than anybody on the field and never get credit for it." (my emphasis added)

Things are sure different on Planet Milton...

SMO
:gulp:

MarkZ35
09-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Bradley got what he wanted. An early vacation. Giving in to him isn't the answer and now they have made it nearly impossible to get rid of him this off season w/o eating the entire contract.

white sox bill
09-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Send him here...Walk'll fix him!

Viva Medias B's
09-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Send him here...Walk'll fix him!

See "Belle, Albert"

aryzner
09-21-2009, 08:46 AM
My favorite moment of the season was when he threw the ball into the stands on the 2nd out vs the Twins.

southside rocks
09-21-2009, 08:49 AM
The Sun-Times story today again says that the Cubs will try to trade MB in the off-season, even if it means they have to eat a lot of the $21M remaining on his contract. Wow. That's an expensive mistake!!

The Daily Herald reporter whose story triggered Hendry's reaction was on the Score this morning and he said that this kind of move -- the acquisition of MB and the awful consequences -- would in a lot of organizations cost the GM his job. Of course, we know it won't with the Cubs, but the fact is, Hendry's image has taken a huge hit with his fellow baseball officials. (I don't know what his image was to start with, so that might not be too significant.)

What a debacle -- the Cubs basically let Bradley play them like a violin all season long.

doublem23
09-21-2009, 09:12 AM
See "Belle, Albert"

Albert Belle's 1998 season was arguably the greatest any Sox hitter ever had. His 2nd half, at least, was the best I've ever seen. I don't care how surly a guy is, .328/.399/.655 is .328/.399/.655.

cws05champ
09-21-2009, 09:40 AM
The Sun-Times story today again says that the Cubs will try to trade MB in the off-season, even if it means they have to eat a lot of the $21M remaining on his contract. Wow. That's an expensive mistake!!

The Daily Herald reporter whose story triggered Hendry's reaction was on the Score this morning and he said that this kind of move -- the acquisition of MB and the awful consequences -- would in a lot of organizations cost the GM his job. Of course, we know it won't with the Cubs, but the fact is, Hendry's image has taken a huge hit with his fellow baseball officials. (I don't know what his image was to start with, so that might not be too significant.)

What a debacle -- the Cubs basically let Bradley play them like a violin all season long.
I don't think Hendry is a very good GM, but we just don't know what Hendry was tasked with over the last few years. He may have been told: " Get this team into contention, backload all the contracts, because we won't be here to pay them". He may have just been following orders, but he still made very bad decisions....including this one.

southside rocks
09-21-2009, 10:51 AM
So, does "suspended for conduct detrimental to the Cubs organization" mean that he doesn't get paid for the last 2 weeks? :?:

They are talking about this on XM HomePlate right now -- the only way he would be suspended without pay is if it were a disciplinary suspension from MLB, which it is not. Apparently the team has the right to suspend him but does not have the right to suspend without pay.

beasly213
09-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Big shocker.

It was pretty obvious this guy was a nutcase and what I don't get is why the Cubs gave him so much money and so many years when the didn't have to. No one else was even coming close to what the Cubs were offering him. :scratch:

ewokpelts
09-21-2009, 10:56 AM
perhaps this will motiviate the cubs into the playoffs?

or not....

the 2009 goat has been located. he wears #21. just like the 2004 goat.

khan
09-21-2009, 11:05 AM
If anything, this pleases me to no end. I LOVE knowing that the scrubs' GM is an incompetent boob.

Any imbecile with an internet connection could've told that moron exactly why Bradley was a bad signing for the purpose of having a LH power bat. And this is BESIDES the fact that he's a china doll, a bad team mate, has a baseball IQ of 50, and is a surly guy.

soxinem1
09-21-2009, 12:30 PM
They wouldn't have had to do this if they didn't outbid themselves to sign him, and maybe realize that Bradley left EVERY TEAM HE PLAYED FOR ON A SOUR NOTE!

Maybe Ron Washington and TEX would take him back. Of course cub fans would probably want Elvis Andrus or Michael Young in return.....

The Critic
09-21-2009, 01:14 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that the Cubs had a buyout clause in Bradley's contract that stated if he ended the 2009 season (specifically mentioned 2009) on the DL with a knee injury (and specifically a knee injury), and wasn't on the active roster next April, the Cubs could buy out the last year of the deal for $2 million.
He took himself out of the game the other day complaining of a problem with his knee.
Instead of DL'ing him and keeping him off the active roster in April, they suspend him for yapping and are still on the hook for the whole deal.
Genius move right there.

TDog
09-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that the Cubs had a buyout clause in Bradley's contract that stated if he ended the 2009 season (specifically mentioned 2009) on the DL with a knee injury (and specifically a knee injury), and wasn't on the active roster next April, the Cubs could buy out the last year of the deal for $2 million.
He took himself out of the game the other day complaining of a problem with his knee.
Instead of DL'ing him and keeping him off the active roster in April, they suspend him for yapping and are still on the hook for the whole deal.
Genius move right there.

I don't see your point. He doesn't have a knew injury. If they put him on the disabled list and exercised the buyout clause, Bradley would file a successful grievance with the union because he has no knee injury. Instead they couldn't put up with him any more. Signing him was a bad move (there were posters at WSI back in the day that believed he might do well with the White Sox, despite his nature, but I digress.) The way Milton Bradley plays baseball, his chances of sustaining a knee injury are probably greater while suspended.

Are you suggesting the Cubs should have hired Jeff Gillooly to disable Milton Bradley?

dickallen15
09-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Genius move right there.
And if they placed him on the DL without an injury significant enough to place him there, or kept him off the roster in April so they could buy him out, he would file a grievance in a heartbeat.

The Critic
09-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Probably so.
But he did pull himself out of a game with knee pain, so maybe there's something there.
If there's something there, maybe they DL him.
If he's hurt (still or again) in spring and doesn't start the year on the active roster, maybe that enables them to buy out the last year.
By suspending him seemingly out of spite rather than DLing him, they deny themselves even a chance of that playing out. Just so Hendry can say that he's not going to take that kind of behavior from Bradley?
Seems like they missed an opportunity to save some money if everything lined up - that's all I'm saying.

Red Barchetta
09-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Albert Belle's 1998 season was arguably the greatest any Sox hitter ever had. His 2nd half, at least, was the best I've ever seen. I don't care how surly a guy is, .328/.399/.655 is .328/.399/.655.

Plus, Albert pretty much kept his mouth shut. If anything, Frank Thomas had a harder time adjusting to Albert in the lineup than Albert adjusting to the SOX. He had a great season in 1998.

Red Barchetta
09-21-2009, 05:49 PM
I think Bradley should see a head doctor and get treated for anxiety and depression. He has serious anger issues and although we can laugh at it from a Cubs/baseball perspective, what happens after he leaves the game? :?:

#1swisher
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
I think the new owners (Ricketts Family) had input.

getonbckthr
09-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Knowing the depth of their staff and the little production of their offense, I wonder if the Giants would do a Soriano/Bradley for Zito/Winn deal.

Boondock Saint
09-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Knowing the depth of their staff and the little production of their offense, I wonder if the Giants would do a Soriano/Bradley for Zito/Winn deal.

Zito has been solid this year. I doubt they take on Soriano and Bradley.

getonbckthr
09-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Probably true but you figure they would want to make room for Baumgartner and they are gonna need a big bat.

TDog
09-21-2009, 09:44 PM

Indeed, Zito has had a solid season. And the Giants have have had fifth-starter issues since Johnson went down. After Lincecum, Cain and Zito, they have Sanchez, who threw a no-hitter this season, but remains inconsistent, but he has been more reliable than the starters who have followed him in the rotation, at least before they signed Penny, who probably won't be back next year.

Already there is room for Bumgarner. Some fans were upset that they picked up Penny instead of moving Bumgarner into the rotation in September.

Wynn's contract is up at the end of the season, as I understand it. I don't expect him to back. The Giants won't need to dump his contract. The Giants need to make room for Schierholtz in the outfield. A lot of fans don't understand why Wynn is playing with the good, young outfielders the Giants have on the bench.