PDA

View Full Version : Mark B innings

LITTLE NELL
09-20-2009, 09:03 AM
There is an article in todays Trib that the Sox may be thinking of dropping Burls to the 4th starter next year to cut down on innings pitched.
Maybe I'm dumb but the only starter that I would be see pitching less innings is the 5th starter due to days off.
Going by 2008 stats:
Mark B 218
Javy 208
Gavin 206
Danks 195
That comes down to less than 1 inning a week through out the season between Burls and Danks.
Not a whole lot of difference there.
Another factor is if a pitcher is consistantly having quality starts and has you in just about every game, are you going to pull him after the 6th inning and trust and tax your bullpen.

kravdog
09-20-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't care what order they pitch in: Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Buehrle is an awesome 1-4... Here's to a season of solid health next year!

LITTLE NELL
09-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't care what order they pitch in: Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Buehrle is an awesome 1-4... Here's to a season of solid health next year!
I agree but I'm still wondering how Mark will pitch less innings as a 4th starter.

Dibbs
09-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Mark should be the opening day starter. It was a shame when Ozzie had Garland or Contreras start opening day a couple years ago.

voodoochile
09-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I agree but I'm still wondering how Mark will pitch less innings as a 4th starter.

Beats the **** out of me. Danks just doesn't go as deep as regularly as BurlyMon does, so most of the inning difference is probably explainable by other factors than slot order...

parlaycard
09-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Mark Buehrle might be the #4 starter based upon the fact that he will be the 4th best starter the Sox have.

It has nothing to do with innings pitched

Metalthrasher442
09-20-2009, 12:45 PM
I say give the first away game to Peavy and the first home game to Buerhle. Danks should be the fourth starter because usually he only pitches a solid six innings of baseball.

LITTLE NELL
09-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Mark Buehrle might be the #4 starter based upon the fact that he will be the 4th best starter the Sox have.

It has nothing to do with innings pitched
The article says its all about innings as Burls would pitch less innings as a 4th starter. Someone has to explain to me why he would pitch less innings as a 4th starter.
With everything being equal your top 4 starters would start about 34 games with the 5th guy picking up 26 starts.
So how does your 4th starter pitch less innings than the 1-2-3 guys, in fact if he has a great year with a lot of quality starts he may pitch more inninigs.

SI1020
09-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Why not just have a 5 inning limit on the amount a pitcher can pitch in any one game? It's getting ridiculous both the pampering and the fragility of modern day ML pitchers.

kravdog
09-20-2009, 01:54 PM
The article says its all about innings as Burls would pitch less innings as a 4th starter. Someone has to explain to me why he would pitch less innings as a 4th starter.
With everything being equal your top 4 starters would start about 34 games with the 5th guy picking up 26 starts.
So how does your 4th starter pitch less innings than the 1-2-3 guys, in fact if he has a great year with a lot of quality starts he may pitch more inninigs.

He doesn't. Thankfully, no one here wants to argue that the trib has a leg to stand on with this assumption.

Daver
09-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Pitchers get hurt because they don't throw enough, not from pitching too many innings.

WhiteSoxOnly
09-20-2009, 03:01 PM
We can have Burls take the 5th starter's spot and get some more
rest for that arm of his after Kenny gets Felix Hernandez or John
Lackey this coming off-season.:redneck

chisox59
09-22-2009, 12:17 AM
I think pitch count rather than innings pitched would be a more valuable number to track over the year. Danks normally pitches into the 5th or 6th inning but his pitch count is always near 100 when he's pulled. Mark doesn't normally reach that until the 7th or 8th inning. Quality innings as opposed to always in trouble innings take you further into a game and add to your innings pitched totals but don't necessarily wear you out over the course of the season.