PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this an example of coaches and pitchers not knowing their opponents?

MattSharp
06-08-2002, 09:05 PM
I was just thinking about it. Hawk said a bunch of times that since 1998 Vlad has hit SIXTY (60) home runs on the first pitch. SIXTY!!!!!! He is a free swinger who likes to swing at the first pitch. So shouldn't Nardi and JM and even Foulke know this and NOT throw him a fastball right there on the first pitch. Throw him a changeup outside or a breaking ball or something.

I mean stuff like this is unexcusable. This is poor managing AGAIN!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I was just thinking about it. Hawk said a bunch of times that since 1998 Vlad has hit SIXTY (60) home runs on the first pitch. SIXTY!!!!!! He is a free swinger who likes to swing at the first pitch. So shouldn't Nardi and JM and even Foulke know this and NOT throw him a fastball right there on the first pitch. Throw him a changeup outside or a breaking ball or something.

:hawk
"Maybe it's time for me to cinch it up and strap it down in the Sox GM seat again!"

:ohno
"Omigod, no."

Tragg
06-08-2002, 11:18 PM
Everyone seems to have foulke figured out this year.

Let Howry close for a while. I know, I know. But a)he throw hard and b)he was our closer for one year and did a righteous job at it.

Jerry_Manuel
06-08-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
"Maybe it's time for me to cinch it up and strap it down in the Sox GM seat again!"

Why not manager George? He's already done the GM thing. :smile:

Tragg
06-08-2002, 11:25 PM
:KW

"Have yall seen me trade for Ron Hassey 3 times? No, so get off of my case!"

Bucktown
06-08-2002, 11:46 PM
Dude, you are looking at the wrong side of the plate. We gave up two runs.

CerberusWG
06-09-2002, 12:30 AM

"Omigod, no."

ROFL. I almost pissed myself.

RedPinStripes
06-09-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Why not manager George? He's already done the GM thing. :smile:

O god no!!!!!!!! :o:

RedPinStripes
06-09-2002, 01:20 AM

"Omigod, no."

:b&b
u hehe.....Remember that dumbass who traded Bobby Bonilla for Jose deleon?

Yeah hehe he sucks!

CLR01
06-09-2002, 02:13 AM

Poor managing? I was not aware that JM threw the pitch or was sitting behind home plate giving foulke the signs.....

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Poor managing? I was not aware that JM threw the pitch or was sitting behind home plate giving foulke the signs..... i agree............ they made that reference about vlad hitting the first pitch............... so who is at fault for that?

MattSharp
06-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Poor managing? I was not aware that JM threw the pitch or was sitting behind home plate giving foulke the signs.....

But as a manager you need to know that their superstar, ,and one of the best hitters in the game likes to hit home runs on the first pitch. I mean this wasn't one of their scrubs. Vlad is awseome. So a good manager would have

a) told him when he came in
b) relayed the signs to the catcher to NOT give him a first pitch fastball

Better coaching could have avoided this easily.....

Jerry_Manuel
06-09-2002, 11:49 AM
Better coaching could have avoided this easily.....

The game is over let it die. With the way this team is looking right now they were going to lose this game no matter what.

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 12:34 PM

But as a manager you need to know that their superstar, ,and one of the best hitters in the game likes to hit home runs on the first pitch. I mean this wasn't one of their scrubs. Vlad is awseome. So a good manager would have

a) told him when he came in
b) relayed the signs to the catcher to NOT give him a first pitch fastball

Better coaching could have avoided this easily..... that is called players doing your homework........... situational hitting and pitching.

people who played the game knows what i am talking about.

Iguana775
06-09-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
that is called players doing your homework........... situational hitting and pitching.

people who played the game knows what i am talking about.

the pitcher himself should also know what the hitter likes and doesnt. it is not always up to the manager. although i do blame JM for bring him in there in the first place, i do not blame him for foulke giving up the homer.

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

although i do blame JM for bring him in there in the first place, i don't know about that......... you bring in your best to face the best........... foulke is suppose to be our best and its up to him to be prepared to pitch......... that is why he is getting the big bucks...........

neal
06-09-2002, 12:59 PM
The pitcher and cathcer are supposed to be professionals and Foulke is supposed to be our best bullpen pitcher. JM should NOT have to relay every single pitch that he wants to Foulke and Johnson, that is their job together. Does he relay every pitch to Burehle when he starts? No, no manager would do that. They are professionals, leave it up to them.

Jerry_Manuel
06-09-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
the pitcher himself should also know what the hitter likes and doesnt. it is not always up to the manager. although i do blame JM for bring him in there in the first place, i do not blame him for foulke giving up the homer.

The game is over! For the love of god, move on. The team was going to lose the game even if Babe Ruth rose from the dead to bat in the 9th.

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 01:09 PM

The game is over! For the love of god, move on. The team was going to lose the game even if Babe Ruth rose from the dead to bat in the 9th. c'mon jer........ let us have some fun :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Jerry_Manuel
06-09-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
c'mon jer........ let us have some fun :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I don't think this is to fun, but maybe I'm a party-pooper.

LongDistanceFan
06-09-2002, 01:12 PM

I don't think this is to fun, but maybe I'm a party-pooper. kill-joy :D:

pudge
06-09-2002, 01:47 PM
Keith looked more upset after that pitch than I've ever seen him, which makes me think he really knew he threw it in the wrong place, I think it was a big mistake on his part and probably not a coaching error. I was just happy to see Foulke upset for a change - he's blown so many games and then just looked smug afterward.