PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-19 That Was Relaxing Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
09-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Only 5 1/2 back now. I'm not saying. Just saying.

soxinem1
09-19-2009, 08:51 PM
The closed-door meeting kicks in a day late......

Then Bacon gets a nut-cracker, Hawk laughs for an entire inning about it, Peavy deals and wins, and struggling hitters hit.

Congrats Jake!!

Chicago5oooh
09-19-2009, 08:52 PM
First time in a while I had a good time watching a Sox game. Thanks Peavy and Paulie and TCQ

Patrick134
09-19-2009, 08:56 PM
It'd just be nice to see the Sox play well for a change. To be honest I've never thought for a moment this year that whatever team wins the central will do much in the playoffs.

pudge
09-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Only 5 1/2 back now. I'm not saying. Just saying.

simply amazing. i'm so stunned this team couldn't simply play a few over .500 to steal this division. Wow.

JermaineDye05
09-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Even though he gave up 3 runs, Jake looked great tonight. Great to finally see this stud in a Sox uniform.

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2009, 09:02 PM
If we can win tomorrow and the Tigers lose, I don't think a 4.5 game deficit would be insurmountable. Thank you, Peavy, for pitching so well.

Boondock Saint
09-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Outside of him throwing a couple bad two-strike pitches, Peavy looked dominant. JD had a good game, Rios had a solid game and the bullpen nailed the last four innings down.

Can't be disappointed in that one.

JB98
09-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Peavy had a good slider tonight. It was especially effective against left-handed hitters. He pitched inside. Other than the missed location to Butler in the third inning it was a good outing for him. For a guy who hadn't been on a major-league mound in months, that was impressive.

I hope the Sox saved some runs for tomorrow, so they can win a Sunday home game for the first time since June.

veeter
09-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I needed that game. Next year, the Sox will easily have one of the best rotations in baseball. The pen is a mess, but I'm very optimistic. If the miraculous happens this year, and the Sox get in, you never know with Jake on board.

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I hope the Sox saved some runs for tomorrow, so they can win a Sunday home game for the first time since June.
No kidding! I would especially feel bad for ChiSoxGirl if we can't get a win tomorrow.

TDog
09-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't know that Peavy pitched any better than Buehrle did Friday night, but when you're going up against a team that squeezes with the score tied in the second inning, you're going against a team playing hard to win.

If you saw this game, you saw something that doesn't happen often. The pitcher tagged with the loss left the game with the score tied and no one on base. Of course, he had two balls on Konerko, and when Konerko walked, the walk was charged to Hughes even though he was no longer in the game. Konerko scored, and the Sox never gave up the lead.

It was nice to see Flowers get his first hit. Guillen took the bat out of his hands in the fourth, asking him to bunt with the score tied and two runners on for the Sox. Flowers being unable to get the bunt down put him in a two-strike hole before he struck out, but even in he gets the bunt down, I wouldn't have expected the Sox to score. If Nix doesn't get the run home, it's just a matter of retiring Beckham with two outs.

I really wish Guillen would save the sacrifice for game-ending situations and stop sacrificing when he already has a runner in scoring position. Every out decreases your chance of scoring in an inning.

Not that there is anything to complain about from today's game. It's just a philosophical difference I have with Guillen.

GlassSox
09-19-2009, 09:11 PM
It was so good to watch this game tonight. Peavy and many others showed up tonight. The Bacon incident was hilarious.

The Sox keep dragging me back in. :?:

sox1970
09-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Is there a Saturday ticket package?

12-0 this year.

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2009, 09:15 PM
It was so good to watch this game tonight. Peavy and many others showed up tonight. The Bacon incident was hilarious.

The Sox keep dragging me back in. :?:
What exactly happened to Bacon? I switched to the Hawks' preseason game.

12-0 this year.
No, but there is a weekend ticket package, and the Sundays nullify Saturdays.

JB98
09-19-2009, 09:16 PM

12-0 this year.

I have the weekend plan. The bad news is you gotta take the Sunday games with the Saturday games. As you can probably tell from my attendance record, I've been to more Sunday games than Saturday games this season.

Sox at home on Saturday: 12-0
Sox at home on Sunday: 2-9

CHISOXFAN13
09-19-2009, 09:16 PM
If we can win tomorrow and the Tigers lose, I don't think a 4.5 game deficit would be insurmountable. Thank you, Peavy, for pitching so well.

If we were chasing one team maybe.

veeter
09-19-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't know that Peavy pitched any better than Buehrle did Friday night, but when you're going up against a team that squeezes with the score tied in the second inning, you're going against a team playing hard to win.

If you saw this game, you saw something that doesn't happen often. The pitcher tagged with the loss left the game with the score tied and no one on base. Of course, he had two balls on Konerko, and when Konerko walked, the walk was charged to Hughes even though he was no longer in the game. Konerko scored, and the Sox never gave up the lead.

It was nice to see Flowers get his first hit. Guillen took the bat out of his hands in the fourth, asking him to bunt with the score tied and two runners on for the Sox. Flowers being unable to get the bunt down put him in a two-strike hole before he struck out, but even in he gets the bunt down, I wouldn't have expected the Sox to score. If Nix doesn't get the run home, it's just a matter of retiring Beckham with two outs.

I really wish Guillen would save the sacrifice for game-ending situations and stop sacrificing when he already has a runner in scoring position. Every out decreases your chance of scoring in an inning.

Not that there is anything to complain about from today's game. It's just a philosophical difference I have with Guillen.We could vent long and hard about Ozzie's strange decisions. I'm starting to think of HIM, as Dan Hampton thought of Jim McMahon.

delben91
09-19-2009, 09:19 PM

Weren't you saying before the game that the Sox would have no shot?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2355993&postcount=15

What a difference a few hours makes I guess.

GlassSox
09-19-2009, 09:19 PM
What exactly happened to Bacon? I switched to the Hawks' preseason game.

No, but there is a weekend ticket package, and the Sundays nullify Saturdays.

Catcher threw to 2nd on the steal and the catcher's follow through accidently hit Bacon in the cup. He went down. AJ came over and was rubbing his back while Ozzie was talking to him. It looked like AJ was trying to burp him. Hawk & Stone lost it in laughter for probably 5 minutes. Thankfully Bacon appears to be ok.

oeo
09-19-2009, 09:20 PM

If the Tigers were all we had to worry about. Unfortunately we now sit 3.5 behind the Twins, as well. We would need to sweep the Twins this week to have a shot. I do think catching the Tigers is possible, but probably not for the division. They're completely collapsing. The only guys worth a damn in their rotation are Verlander and Porcello, but who knows how Porcello responds as he's still extremely young.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Catcher threw to 2nd on the steal and the catcher's follow through accidently hit Bacon in the cup. He went down. AJ came over and was rubbing his back while Ozzie was talking to him. It looked like AJ was trying to burp him. Hawk & Stone lost it in laughter for probably 5 minutes. Thankfully Bacon appears to be ok.

Hawk was at that point in laughter where you can't stop. Only the inning break calmed him down. Poor Bacon, the teasing will last a long time --glad the injury will not.

When Flowers got his first ML hit, the ball was tossed into the dugout and then Kotsay pretended to toss it into the crowd. The boys seemed pretty loose; could even a win on a Sunday be possible?

Boondock Saint
09-19-2009, 09:25 PM
If the Tigers were all we had to worry about. Unfortunately we now sit 3.5 behind the Twins, as well. We would need to sweep the Twins this week to have a shot. I do think catching the Tigers is possible, but probably not for the division. They're completely collapsing. The only guys worth a damn in their rotation are Verlander and Porcello, but who knows how Porcello responds as he's still extremely young.

Edwin Jackson would beg to differ.

SoxGirl4Life
09-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Nice win. Nice offense for a change. Peavy is on the score now. Good interview.

oeo
09-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Edwin Jackson would beg to differ.

Edwin Jackson isn't differing with me at all. Check out his second half, specifically the last month.

JermaineDye05
09-19-2009, 09:28 PM
I finally saw Jake on a mound and in a White Sox uniform.

Is this heaven?

Now all that has to happen is the White Sox have to get Lincecum and I will be complete. Mark my words. Before his career is over, Tim will be with the white sox. He could be 40 and throwing in the high 80's, but he'll be with the Sox at some point.

JermaineDye05
09-19-2009, 09:32 PM
I just realized something crazy. According to my gmail, exactly 1 year ago today my Jake Peavy Padres jersey was shipped out. Who would have thought that a year later he'd be pitching for the White Sox and winning.

EDIT: tohttp://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifchitownsouthsider@gmail.com
datehttp://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifFri, Sep 19, 2008 at 6:33 AMsubjecthttp://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifShip Confirmation for Order 8908254123-001
hide details 9/19/08

Dear -----:

We're pleased to inform you that the following item(s) from order
8908254123-001 have been shipped. For items with a status other
than shipped, you will receive an e-mail notification of the shipment
when it occurs. Your credit card has now been charged for the item(s)
that have shipped, plus any applicable sales tax.

VIEW YOUR SHIPMENT STATUS
The link below will supply you with the most recent shipment status.
Please allow up to 1 hour for this information to update on our website
from the time you receive this e-mail.

GlassSox
09-19-2009, 09:35 PM
I just realized something crazy. According to my gmail, exactly 1 year ago today my Jake Peavy Padres jersey was shipped out. Who would have thought that a year later he'd be pitching for the White Sox and winning.

EDIT: tohttp://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifchitownsouthsider@gmail.com
datehttp://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifFri, Sep 19, 2008 at 6:33 AMsubjecthttp://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifShip Confirmation for Order 8908254123-001
hide details 9/19/08

Dear -----:

We're pleased to inform you that the following item(s) from order
8908254123-001 have been shipped. For items with a status other
than shipped, you will receive an e-mail notification of the shipment
when it occurs. Your credit card has now been charged for the item(s)
that have shipped, plus any applicable sales tax.

VIEW YOUR SHIPMENT STATUS
The link below will supply you with the most recent shipment status.
Please allow up to 1 hour for this information to update on our website
from the time you receive this e-mail.

This has to be some kind of omen. :o:

JermaineDye05
09-19-2009, 09:39 PM
This has to be some kind of omen. :o:

I just realized I forgot to include one crucial detail in my post

Your shipment includes the following item(s):

Item: 3632500
Description: A6800 PLYR AU SD PEAVY BP NAVY-LARGE
Quantity: 1 @ $ 99.99

Lillian
09-19-2009, 09:40 PM
I wonder if anyone will post a video on the Net of Beckham getting nailed by Buck.

GlassSox
09-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I wonder if anyone will post a video on the Net of Beckham getting nailed by Buck.

If anyone finds it let us know what the link is, thanks.

Brian26
09-19-2009, 09:58 PM

The Sox don't even control their own destiny right now, contrary to what the guy claimed on Ranger's White Sox Weekly Show earlier today. The Sox could win every game for the rest of the season and not make it since they are 3.5 behind the Twins. If they only win 2-of-3 in the Twins series, they only make up one game.

You're looking at a situation where they need to sweep the Twins and then sweep Detroit twice. And in the other four games (one vs. KC and three vs. Clev), they probably need, minimum, to win two of the four. If they go 11-2 the rest of the way as I've outlined above, they might have a chance at a tie for the division.

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Oh my dear, I do hope there's video of this!!!

brick1119
09-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Mod Edit: This post violates MLB copyright laws.

GoGoCrede
09-19-2009, 10:36 PM
What a fun game! God, it was great to see him pitch. And I said to my friend, "I bet Carlos hits a grand slam" and then he did! Capped off by Fireworks night. My record is now a robust 7-3, and 4-0 on Fireworks Night.

Some tool threw back the KC home run ball. I was pissed, and yelled that that was Wrigley field behavior. People actually applauded him. Security tossed him, thank God. What a tool.

WhiteSox1989
09-19-2009, 10:40 PM
What a fun game! God, it was great to see him pitch. And I said to my friend, "I bet Carlos hits a grand slam" and then he did! Capped off by Fireworks night. My record is now a robust 7-3, and 4-0 on Fireworks Night.

Some tool threw back the KC home run ball. I was pissed, and yelled that that was Wrigley field behavior. People actually applauded him. Security tossed him, thank God. What a tool.
I called CQ's grand slam too!

People in the section I was at were booing the douche who threw back the home run ball.

voodoochile
09-19-2009, 10:43 PM
So does AJ have to punch some KC player in the nuts tomorrow to show that we won't tolerate that crap?

Obviously that was kind of fun. I was actually a bit worried when TCQ let that first fastball go right down the pipe at 3-0, but then Yubata threw another one and this time Quentin had the green light and the rest as they say is history.

Nice job by Peavy. His pitch count would have allowed him to go 7 at least if he hadn't been on a short leash. Nice to see all that talk about not risking it and shutting him down was simply paranoia.

I guess we've found a safe spot for Linebrink to pitch. Ala Billy Koch he can handle a 10 run lead. Next time maybe he can try it at eight and see how it goes.

It was indeed a pleasant day of sports. Last weekend my run of good luck ended Saturday night, this time it keeps going. Hopefully tomorrow will bring more of the same...

:soxwin:

:)

gobears1987
09-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Poor Beckham. Seriously, that really had to hurt.

DirtySox
09-19-2009, 11:43 PM
I had a great time. Still undefeated in games I've attended this year.

Glad I got to see Flowers' first MLB hit in person. When I saw that Ozzie was having him bunt, I knew nothing good was going to come of it. I don't think Tyler has bunted even once this year in the minors.

oeo
09-19-2009, 11:45 PM

Glad I got to see Flowers' first MLB hit in person. When I saw that Ozzie was having him bunt, I knew nothing good was going to come of it. I don't think Tyler has bunted even once this year in the minors.

He obviously has a different role right now with the MLB club than he had in AA.

Jeckle2000
09-19-2009, 11:58 PM
This was a fun game to watch...

I think the fact that the play off chase is pretty much over for the Sox is a big reason why the offense finally woke up... The pressures off in a way...

Peavy looked great considering the fact that he hadn't been on a major league mound in months...

DirtySox
09-20-2009, 12:04 AM
He obviously has a different role right now with the MLB club than he had in AA.

Clearly.

But that doesn't change the fact that bunting is not something he is proficient in as he is rarely asked to do so. I'm not against calling for a sacrifice, I just didn't/don't expect much success in that situation.

slavko
09-20-2009, 12:17 AM
So does AJ have to punch some KC player in the nuts tomorrow to show that we won't tolerate that crap?

Obviously that was kind of fun. I was actually a bit worried when TCQ let that first fastball go right down the pipe at 3-0, but then Yubata threw another one and this time Quentin had the green light and the rest as they say is history.

Nice job by Peavy. His pitch count would have allowed him to go 7 at least if he hadn't been on a short leash. Nice to see all that talk about not risking it and shutting him down was simply paranoia.

I guess we've found a safe spot for Linebrink to pitch. Ala Billy Koch he can handle a 10 run lead. Next time maybe he can try it at eight and see how it goes.

It was indeed a pleasant day of sports. Last weekend my run of good luck ended Saturday night, this time it keeps going. Hopefully tomorrow will bring more of the same...

:soxwin:

:)

That 3-0 fastball was centered and big as a beach ball. The one Carlos hit was outer third and a cantaloupe. Liney looked good. He has some nice stuff but is a head case beyond reason. He might be around next year, gasp, gasp. He could be tradeable if someone only looks at his stuff and will accept some cash to pay for part of his contract.

ramblinsoxfan11
09-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Great game tonight!! While I have given up all hope of play offs this year, it was great seeing how well Peavy pitched. It's going to be exciting next year seeing him on the mound

soxfan22
09-20-2009, 04:14 AM
So, I wake up in London, check the score, what the hell happened?

:D:

harwar
09-20-2009, 07:31 AM

and then Steve Stone chimes in with perfect straight man timing .. "and all i could think of was, AND DOWN GOES FRAZER" .. at tht point Hawk was down for the count lol

cws05champ
09-20-2009, 08:13 AM

Which is part of the problem with this organization. Everyone should know how to do the simple fundamentals of the game, especially in the minors. Everyone wonders why we constantly have more talent than the Twins yet they are in the race every year. Execution of simple fundamentals and knowing the situation of the game and what needs to be done.

LITTLE NELL
09-20-2009, 08:29 AM

We need you to go to games on Sunday's.

voodoochile
09-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Just a thought on the Flowers' bunt attempt. I wonder if Ozzie was trying to slow Tyler down a bit and force him to make contact in some manner to build up his confidence and stop him from overthinking. It's a good way of saying, "Game is still the same, just a bit harder. Here do something you know how to do and then we'll worry about getting the hits."

Hitmen77
09-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Great game. It was a fun game to watch between Peavy's debut and the offensive explosion.

This is how deadly our offense should have been most of the year. I don't mean 13 runs every game, but at least some impressive run production on a consistent basis. But this is 2009 and watch them get totally shut down today (Sunday).

Question: If Carrasco has been named our starter for Monday, why did the Sox bring him in this game to pitch?:?:

Which is part of the problem with this organization. Everyone should know how to do the simple fundamentals of the game, especially in the minors. Everyone wonders why we constantly have more talent than the Twins yet they are in the race every year. Execution of simple fundamentals and knowing the situation of the game and what needs to be done.

I saw that KC was able to perfectly execute a squeeze bunt to score a run. What are the odds of our guys being able to pull that off? I'd say 5-10% chance it would work for us.

SoxandGamecocks
09-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Here's the vid of Beckham getting hit as someone requested, it's quite hilarious. Not sure if this violates any copyright laws, if so, please remove as needed and I apologize.

http://www.bustedcoverage.com/?p=20146

LITTLE NELL
09-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Great game. It was a fun game to watch between Peavy's debut and the offensive explosion.

This is how deadly our offense should have been most of the year. I don't mean 13 runs every game, but at least some impressive run production on a consistent basis. But this is 2009 and watch them get totally shut down today (Sunday).

Question: If Carrasco has been named our starter for Monday, why did the Sox bring him in this game to pitch?:?:

I saw that KC was able to perfectly execute a squeeze bunt to score a run. What are the odds of our guys being able to pull that off? I'd say 5-10% chance it would work for us.

What the heck is a squeeze play?

WhiteSox1989
09-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Last night was probably the most fun I've had at a game in a long time.

When Flowers went out last night and was trying to bunt I started laughing. No way should he have been bunting.

PatK
09-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Be glad that Dusty Hughes got knocked out early, or else we may have had another debut by the next Cy Young.

October26
09-20-2009, 11:10 AM
So, I wake up in London, check the score, what the hell happened?

:D:

A White Sox winner! :bliss:Sox win! Sox win!

As others have said, it was so great to see Peavy finally get to pitch in a Sox uniform. We have been waiting for so long and Peavy did not disappoint. I was also pleased to see the offense wake up. Great wiin! :bandance: Keep it going today boys - Go Sox!

TDog
09-20-2009, 11:37 AM

What the heck is a squeeze play?

The White Sox executed a perfect suicide squeeze bunt to score their third run in their 4-1 win against the Cubs at Wrigley Field on June 17. The Cubs were so helpless on the play that Podsednik ended up beating out the bunt for a hit.

TDog
09-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Be glad that Dusty Hughes got knocked out early, or else we may have had another debut by the next Cy Young.

He gave up runs in three of the first four innings.

soxfan22
09-20-2009, 02:37 PM
A White Sox winner! :bliss:Sox win! Sox win!

As others have said, it was so great to see Peavy finally get to pitch in a Sox uniform. We have been waiting for so long and Peavy did not disappoint. I was also pleased to see the offense wake up. Great wiin! :bandance: Keep it going today boys - Go Sox!

So pleased for Peavy. Great news.

Go Sox

Bruizer
09-21-2009, 12:47 PM
That was a great game to be at! :bandance:

I wondered what had happened to Beckham. :?:

Bru

Brian26
09-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Found this video tonight. Some cool footage of Peavy warming up in the bullpen before his debut on Saturday:

Fo9gWceTxpo