PDA

View Full Version : IF the Cubs ever won a World Series?

MARTINMVP
09-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I was reading some past threads on here and I was thinking. One of the scariest things I can think about, if I were still a Cubs fan, is the idea of what would happen if they ever did win a World Series.

Unfortunately, after 2005, the fortunes have not been on the side with the Southsiders. However, they have TRIED and still have the mindset that winning a World Series again is necessary.

For some reason, I get the feeling, whether it is the Tribsters or Ricketts at the helm, that once the Cubs win a World Series, then everything else is accomplished - a mentality of "we did it, now we can be lazy." As stupid as that would be, I could see it happening. They win it all, then because of that, their life is complete and if the team sucks for the rest of their lives, it's no big deal. I could see their fans denying it, but I would be willing to bet that you'd have a bunch of Cub fans saying, "I don't care if they suck for the rest of my life, if they can win just this one, I will be happy."

Of course, this is just an assumption on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ever came to fruition. To me, that's what makes the difference between the White Sox and the Cubs. The White Sox still want to win. Luck just hasn't been on their side since 2005.

The Critic
09-19-2009, 12:50 PM
I'd be happy for the people I know who like the Cubs (because it really was a great feeling in 2005 and I'd like for them to know that feeling), and I'd hate it because all the stupid phony Cub fans would start chirping.
Other than that, it has no impact on me. The team I like won one - and hopefully will win more before I keel over.

SI1020
09-19-2009, 01:01 PM
If the Cubs ever won the World Series the Sox might as well move to Pago Pago. Cub fans would act like they and their team were the NL version of the Yankees, the national media would fall all over itself. The local media would be in a state of orgasmic frenzy for months. Fortunately it's not likely to happen any time soon.

MARTINMVP
09-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Do you agree with the idea though that once they (if) were to win the World Series, they would accept losing afterwards?

Normally, you'd think that once you win, it becomes addicting, but I would NOT be shocked at all if the organization to the fans would be ok with losing afterwards just because they finally "won one" and life is complete.

MARTINMVP
09-19-2009, 01:06 PM
And for the spirit of making this thread more positive, I'll ask this question. Let's say that the Sox maybe were to win one, two or three World Series in the next ten years (as nice as that would be). Would that be enough to finally change the culture of the media and the people in this town?

SI1020
09-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Do you agree with the idea though that once they (if) were to win the World Series, they would accept losing afterwards?

Normally, you'd think that once you win, it becomes addicting, but I would NOT be shocked at all if the organization to the fans would be ok with losing afterwards just because they finally "won one" and life is complete.

For a long time I would have answered yes to that question. Cub fans always seemed to revel in that "lovable loser" thing. The atmosphere has changed somewhat since the 03 meltdown. Last year's epic choke didn't help matters either. There's more raw anger and cynicism among Cub fans than there used to be IMHO.

LITTLE NELL
09-19-2009, 01:17 PM
If it ever happens I'm sure glad I retired to Florida, of course I've had to put up with all the obnoxious Red Sox fans down here after they won in 04 and 07 but I think that the Cubs winning it all would be worse than root canal.

DumpJerry
09-19-2009, 02:27 PM
If it ever happens I'm sure glad I retired to Florida, of course I've had to put up with all the obnoxious Red Sox fans down here after they won in 04 and 07 but I think that the Cubs winning it all would be worse than root canal.
I've had root canal. There is nothing painful about it. They numb you up, remove the nerves, clean out the junk and you're good as new!

It is the "before" of root canal where you want to take a chainsaw to your head.

soxpride724
09-19-2009, 02:28 PM
I can't speak for other fans, but for me as a White Sox fan, I don't care about 2005 anymore. I want and expect another one. The World Series Championship in 2005 was great, but I wan't more.

WhiteSoxOnly
09-19-2009, 02:31 PM
If the Cubs ever won the World Series the Sox might as well move to Pago Pago. Cub fans would act like they and their team were the NL version of the Yankees

Hell,they already do that on many occasions.They see the upper tier
of baseball rankings like this and not necessarily in this order:

Yankees,Red Sox,Cubs,Dodgers.

You know,historic teams who play in historic ballparks with winning traditions.

Woofer
09-19-2009, 03:28 PM
I am sort of selfish on this one. If the Sox were to win another WS or two, I would think it was ok for the Cubs to finally win one. Right now, the Cub fans would be too combative for me. Because of that, I don't ever want them to feel what we went through in 2005.

Hitmen77
09-19-2009, 04:09 PM
If the Cubs won the WS, it would be like 2005 never happened. The Sox would go back to being ignored in this town.

For those of you old enough, remember back to the 1980s. When the Sox won the AL West in '83 they were the talk of the town. Then the Cubs on their division in 1984 and suddenly 1983 NEVER HAPPENED in the eyes of the media and general public.

The only way a Cubs WS win would be bearable is if it is sandwiched around 1 or 2 more White Sox WS wins.

Otherwise, the Cubs would just bury the Sox in this town if they won the WS and we didn't follow up with any other post-2005 championships. It would be even worse if, as some Sox fans suggest, we give the Cubs access to the Cell for 2 years so that they can remake Wrigley into a modern wonder.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-19-2009, 04:09 PM
And for the spirit of making this thread more positive, I'll ask this question. Let's say that the Sox maybe were to win one, two or three World Series in the next ten years (as nice as that would be). Would that be enough to finally change the culture of the media and the people in this town?

I doubt it. It certainly would be nice for us, but the city would remain the same. Maybe the disgruntled Cubs fans would become Sox fans but that's about it.

chisoxfanatic
09-19-2009, 04:10 PM

When your team has a huge drought, you have that mentality until you finally win one...and then you want more.

soxfan22
09-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Long may the Cubs wait to win a World Series continue. Nothing personal.

Hey Bartman, when you've finished feeding the goat, put the cat out!

:D:

SI1020
09-19-2009, 04:32 PM
If the Cubs won the WS, it would be like 2005 never happened. The Sox would go back to being ignored in this town.

For those of you old enough, remember back to the 1980s. When the Sox won the AL West in '83 they were the talk of the town. Then the Cubs on their division in 1984 and suddenly 1983 NEVER HAPPENED in the eyes of the media and general public.

The only way a Cubs WS win would be bearable is if it is sandwiched around 1 or 2 more White Sox WS wins.

Otherwise, the Cubs would just bury the Sox in this town if they won the WS and we didn't follow up with any other post-2005 championships. It would be even worse if, as some Sox fans suggest, we give the Cubs access to the Cell for 2 years so that they can remake Wrigley into a modern wonder. I totally agree with this post. It was in 84 that it really sunk in my brain how slanted the media had become in favor of the Cubs. I remember a radio show "The Sportswriters" on WGN and how loathful many on the panel were to give the Sox any of their time at all. It was Cubs, Cubs and more Cubs. Then of course the north siders did an el foldo for the ages against the Padres in the playoffs.

FielderJones
09-19-2009, 04:35 PM

Yes. Most of the people on this board are too young to remember the pre-Tribune-ownership Cubs. There was a time when both teams were on equal footing, and there was a time when this was a Sox town. That all changed when the Cubs were bought by the billion dollar media monopoly in this town. The years of free marketing pushed the Cubs to their current status.

Now, the media giant is in Chapter 11, and the new owners will have to pay for every bit of advertising out of pocket. If the Sox were to have a run of successful years and another World Series championship or two, the culture would change. Look at the neighborhood around the Cell -- lots of new construction. You're probably too young to know it, but the neighborhood around Wrigley was run-down and shabby during the 60s-70s.

slavko
09-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Our owner (Veeck) used to count column inches and rag the newspapers about the excess coverage they were giving the other team. So it didn't start when the Trib bought the Cubs. And it's not likely to end now that it has sold (95%) of them.

TheVulture
09-19-2009, 08:34 PM
If going through life without a Cubs world series win was good enough for grandpa, then it's good enough for you, whippersnapper. Damn punk kids.

Shoeless_Jeff
09-19-2009, 09:38 PM
"I think it is an infinitely more interesting news story for a team to repeatedly fail at the highest level than it is for them to finally win. If the Cubs ever win a World Series, the news coverage will be the most boring bunch of #*$& you can imagine."

-George Carlin

TDog
09-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Our owner (Veeck) used to count column inches and rag the newspapers about the excess coverage they were giving the other team. So it didn't start when the Trib bought the Cubs. And it's not likely to end now that it has sold (95%) of them.

But Bill Veeck planted the ivy in Wrigley Field, so he was in part to blame.

cws05champ
09-19-2009, 11:45 PM

True, and the Tribune actually tried to use the same column width on stories as justification that teams were getting equal coverage. Over the last 30 years though it is not just the shear # of cubs stories more than the Sox, it's the subtle digs. Always finding a way to mention the Cubs even in positive Sox stories, only positive things happen in "Wrigleyville" negative things happen in "Lakeview", The laughable headlines that are slanted positive to the Cubs, negative to the Sox (Anyone remember the White Sox "Somber Streak"), More often than not the Cubs are the lead story in the paper and website. It goes on and on.

It won't change for quite some time, until the Cubbie lovers leave town...and it's not just the writers, but the editors on down. It wouldn't hurt if the Cubs suck for the next few years while the Sox have deep playoff runs.

MARTINMVP
09-20-2009, 12:40 AM
I know I have said in another thread that Sox fans are better than caring about the Cubs, but I have some grievances that I need to get out.

One of the reasons why I slowly gravitated to the Southside was because I just started to begin a natural connection. Can't explain it. Didn't have cable in the early 1990's, so I watched the Cubs on WGN. But growing up in my town, most kids were Sox fans and I was the lonley Cub fan. That from the start implanted the seeds that the Sox were the "cooler" team. I always liked their uniforms and colors better... always. The "good guys wear black" aura was just simply cool.

As I grew older and eventually got cable, I started to watch both teams. The Cub thing just slowly gravitated into this weird aura of "dorkness" (does that make sense?). WGN Radio is the perfect example. I get so ****ing sick when I hear a commercial with a 50 year old lady talking about Cub memories and that stupid music in the background. There is an aura of "good lovable fun" and to me, the whole shtick comes across as geeky. I listen to WGN because I love Garry Meier but having to listen to the Cub commercials and the stupid song "This is our yearrrrrrrr" drives me numb.

I hate HATE the Wrigleyville aura. Wrigley is not all that it is hyped up to be. It's an old crappy ball park. It's ok to watch a game in, but I'm telling you, I have fallen in love with the Cell. I absolutely love the outfield concourse and can easily stand around and watch a game with a group of my friends. But I just love the entire ballpark at the atmosphere.

I hate how the Cubs try to market the ****ing ivy... THE ****ING IVY!! I don't hate ivy by itself, but when you try and market the green ****ing IVY and try to write a ****ing book about it, I"M SORRY BUT I GOT PROBLEMS WITH THAT.

Ron Santo. Am I a bad person if I say I almost hate this guy. Why the F mod edit: this is an evasion of the language filters. Warnings no longer being given for this. does this team's fans worship a bunch of dorks like Santo and Ronnie Woo Woo? I guarantee that when Kerry Wood retires, he is going to beg to be part of Cubdom in some way, either a coach or an announcer and then the Cub fans are going to worship him for the next 30 or 40 years then.

And I'm sorry, but both DJ and Farmer have grown on me. I really have grown to like them and enjoy listening to them when I can't watch Hawk and Stone Poney.

I'm sorry for the rant, but after spending the night with my fiance's family who are all Cub fans and gave me **** for wanting to watch Peavey's start on "their" TV, I'm a bit pissed off right now.

StillMissOzzie
09-20-2009, 01:49 AM

I agree with this post too. When the Cubs won their division in 1984, not only did the Sox winning their division earlier get nullified, too many Cub fans acted as if their team had invented baseball in the process.

I'm sorry for the rant, but after spending the night with my fiance's family who are all Cub fans and gave me **** for wanting to watch Peavey's start on "their" TV, I'm a bit pissed off right now.
Were they all bitter because the Sox ended up with Peavy after he had been in the Cubs' sights for so long earlier in the season? Were they sad because they thought he would have been a difference maker for them?

I accept that there are more Cub fans than Sox fans in the Chicagoland area. My guess would be 35% Sox, 55% Cubs, and 10% neutral/"both"/not even baseball fans (even though it seems that more of this type side with the Cubs than the Sox...) So, IF the Cubs ever did win it all, I suspect the party would be a little louder, the parade a little longer, but it will NEVER take away 2005.

SMO
:gulp:

MisterB
09-20-2009, 04:39 AM
Yes. Most of the people on this board are too young to remember the pre-Tribune-ownership Cubs. There was a time when both teams were on equal footing, and there was a time when this was a Sox town. That all changed when the Cubs were bought by the billion dollar media monopoly in this town. The years of free marketing pushed the Cubs to their current status.

Now, the media giant is in Chapter 11, and the new owners will have to pay for every bit of advertising out of pocket. If the Sox were to have a run of successful years and another World Series championship or two, the culture would change. Look at the neighborhood around the Cell -- lots of new construction. You're probably too young to know it, but the neighborhood around Wrigley was run-down and shabby during the 60s-70s.

I don't know, five years ago people were saying whoever won the World Series first would own Chicago. Well, the Sox did it and frankly, not much has changed. Maybe now that the Flubs don't have their very own nationwide mouthpiece things can change, but only maybe.

TommyJohn
09-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Otherwise, the Cubs would just bury the Sox in this town if they won the WS and we didn't follow up with any other post-2005 championships. It would be even worse if, as some Sox fans suggest, we give the Cubs access to the Cell for 2 years so that they can remake Wrigley into a modern wonder.
It already is that way. One columnist dismissed it as a fluke (of course, he is the same guy with obsessive, Captain Ahab-esque vendettas against Reinsdorf and Bartman) another has said he doesn't believe it was "legitimate" because of steroids, and Cubbie fans admonish us for living in the past over 2005 while simultaneously reminding us of 1919 and William Ligue. (I believe the Indians called it "speaking with forked tongue.") Clowns like Morrissey and Dave Kaplan blather about how much "bigger" a Cub parade will be when they win the World Series (and it probably will be, I don't deny that, but the way they hammer at it sounds like jealousy and sour grapes.) The media in general seems pissed that Chicago's "other" team, the white trash team, won the World Series first. At least the ones I mentioned.

OldRomanPizza
09-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Here is what would happen if the Cubs ever won the World Series?

Books. A whole lot of books.

FielderJones
09-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't know, five years ago people were saying whoever won the World Series first would own Chicago. Well, the Sox did it and frankly, not much has changed. Maybe now that the Flubs don't have their very own nationwide mouthpiece things can change, but only maybe.

Not entirely true. I see a lot more Sox gear on the street than I did pre-2005. Quite a few kids saw a Chicago team in the World Series and if their parents were from somewhere else and had no Chicago team affiliation, they didn't object to buying Sox shirts and hats for their kids. It's not as dire as it once was.

The loss of the media monopoly mouthpiece, coupled with the aging of north side Chads and Trixies, and the aging of the dilapidated ballpark, could work against the Cubs. But the Sox will have to dial it up in 2010 and onward.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-21-2009, 10:14 AM
The Sox have a 3 year window with this pitching staff to do something akin to 2005. I truly feel if the Sox snag another October like they did 4 years ago, there truly WILL be a shift in this town.

Right now, the Cubs are a smoldering wreck and no one wants to a) take responsibility or b) sift through the wreckage.

Dick Allen
09-21-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm sorry for the rant, but after spending the night with my fiance's family who are all Cub fans and gave me **** for wanting to watch Peavey's start on "their" TV, I'm a bit pissed off right now.Time to get a new fiancee. :D:

Hitmen77
09-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Not entirely true. I see a lot more Sox gear on the street than I did pre-2005. Quite a few kids saw a Chicago team in the World Series and if their parents were from somewhere else and had no Chicago team affiliation, they didn't object to buying Sox shirts and hats for their kids. It's not as dire as it once was.

The loss of the media monopoly mouthpiece, coupled with the aging of north side Chads and Trixies, and the aging of the dilapidated ballpark, could work against the Cubs. But the Sox will have to dial it up in 2010 and onward.

I agree with Fielder on this one. 2005 didn't exactly make Chicago a "Sox town", but it did greatly improve our team's standing in this town. Before 2005, I saw very few people with Sox gear. The Sox were basically ignored outside of our fanbase. Now I see people wearing Sox stuff everywhere. The Cubs still dominate in the market, but the Sox are no longer simply written off as irrelevant. Probably the biggest impact is with the kids. Winning a bunch of them over now will pay huge dividends for the Sox in the coming years as these fans mature into paying customers.

That's why my biggest concern is a Cubs WS win in the near future without any new Sox championships. That more than anything would essentially wipe out 2005 from the public's memory.

Smokey Burg
09-21-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't (and won't) spend much time thinking about this. Its just not going to happen unless there is a complete change in attitude and culture, and it has to start from the top down. Remember, this is the franchise with such revolutionary ideas like the college of coachs. They were the last major league team to install lights, and by nearly 30 years. Since the late 40's most of the trades they make end up as flops. When was the last real good trade for them? Mel Hall for Rick Sutcliffe? I'm open for other suggestions. Even this year, the Mark DeRosa - Milton Bradley fiasco. If they keep DeRosa, they could have had arguably the best infield in the NL for the next 3 -5 years. When they pick up a player they either get some washed up has been (Richie Hebner, Howard Johnson just to name two) or they get a head case/cancer (Kingman, Bradley). Probably the last late season acquisition that actually helped them was Gary Gaetti and that was 10 years ago. IMHO the cubs will probably have 5 or 6 100 loss seasons before they make the playoffs again. I turned 50 years old this year and I doubt that I will live long enough to see this franchise win a WS. I am not a cub hater, but I am becoming a cub agnostic, i.e. I find it hard to believe that anyone could consider themselves as fans of an organization that consistently makes bone headed decisions that just increase the futility.

Hitmen77
09-21-2009, 02:37 PM
It already is that way. One columnist dismissed it as a fluke (of course, he is the same guy with obsessive, Captain Ahab-esque vendettas against Reinsdorf and Bartman) another has said he doesn't believe it was "legitimate" because of steroids, and Cubbie fans admonish us for living in the past over 2005 while simultaneously reminding us of 1919 and William Ligue. (I believe the Indians called it "speaking with forked tongue.") Clowns like Morrissey and Dave Kaplan blather about how much "bigger" a Cub parade will be when they win the World Series (and it probably will be, I don't deny that, but the way they hammer at it sounds like jealousy and sour grapes.) The media in general seems pissed that Chicago's "other" team, the white trash team, won the World Series first. At least the ones I mentioned.

Good point, but for now this is mostly limited to wishful thinking from Cub fans and Cub lovers in the media. These people will never acknowledge anything positive about the Sox no matter what. I remember meeting a Cubs fan when I was out of town in spring 2006 (he didn't know I was from Chicago too) and he said with total confidence and a straight face that the Cubs were really the only baseball team in Chicago. :thud: I mean, wow! This was just a few short months after the Sox won the World Series! Seriously, those people are in denial and have no shame.

But despite these people pretending 2005 never happened or trying to overshadow 2005 with hypothetical things the Cubs haven't accomplished, they can't just wish it away. The Sox are still basking in the glow of 2005 in the eyes of the public and the Cubs 101 year drought is a downright embarrassment by comparison. But, I remember the 1980s. In 1983, the Sox rolled to Chicago's first baseball post season appearance since 1959 and they were the talk of the town.....and then 1984 happened and it was just incredible. Suddenly, 1983 never happened as far as anyone besides diehard Sox fans were concerned. Like SMO said, people acted like the Cubs invented playoff baseball in Chicago.

eriqjaffe
09-21-2009, 02:54 PM
When was the last real good trade for them? Mel Hall for Rick Sutcliffe? I'm open for other suggestions.I'd say that getting Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton for Jose Hernandez, Matt Bruback and Bobby Hill worked out rather well for the Cubs.

ewokpelts
09-21-2009, 03:01 PM
I'd say that getting Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton for Jose Hernandez, Matt Bruback and Bobby Hill worked out rather well for the Cubs.how so?

mrfourni
09-21-2009, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=Smokey Burg;2357097] When was the last real good trade for them? QUOTE]

Derek Lee for Hee Seop Choi?
Sammy Sosa for George Bell?

eriqjaffe
09-21-2009, 03:22 PM
how so?Mostly because they got Aramis Ramirez for a bunch of spare parts. Did it put them over the top? No, but what trade of theirs has?

ewokpelts
09-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Mostly because they got Aramis Ramirez for a bunch of spare parts. Did it put them over the top? No, but what trade of theirs has?injury prone, overpaid aramis ramirez?

Marqhead
09-21-2009, 03:36 PM
injury prone, overpaid aramis ramirez?

One of the best offensive third basemen Aramis. Yes he has been injured, and he sometimes takes plays off but he still rakes when he's healthy.

Cuck the Fubs
09-21-2009, 03:49 PM

:scratch: This already happens...just check your local Borders for PILES of "THIS IS THE YEAR" books printed before that "historic" 2008 season :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Railsplitter
09-21-2009, 04:58 PM
The Cubs winning the series is one big

IF

Red Barchetta
09-21-2009, 05:35 PM

I think Cub fans would accept losing again much easier than say Red Sox fans based on their history of settling for division championships or having a "good year". I have friends who are fans of both teams and although I think Cub fans would act very similar to Red Sox fans if they did win, Red Sox fans have never really associated their team with losing as much as they have with having good teams lose to the Yankees or coming up a few games short of winning the world series (up through 2004). That's why many Red Sox fans never understood why Cub fans adopted the Red Sox in 2004 with some kind of "brotherly love". :scratch:

RadioheadRocks
09-21-2009, 10:56 PM
The Cubs winning the series is one big

IF

Exactly. And if grandma had cajones she'd be grandpa.

Mendoza Line
09-22-2009, 03:01 PM

They didn't even need to win to get books last year. Heck, they had at least two of them by September with titles like "This Year is Here" and "The Magical Year of the Cubs." They made great Christmas presents to Cub fan friends after the price was slashed to a few dollars. :redneck

On a similar note, a year or so ago I was baffled by a jacket in Pro Jersey that said "CUBS 1969" on the back, and was priced in excess of $200. Apparently they're very proud of that year..

MARTINMVP
09-22-2009, 04:16 PM
They didn't even need to win to get books last year. Heck, they had at least two of them by September with titles like "This Year is Here" and "The Magical Year of the Cubs." They made great Christmas presents to Cub fan friends after the price was slashed to a few dollars. :redneck

On a similar note, a year or so ago I was baffled by a jacket in Pro Jersey that said "CUBS 1969" on the back, and was priced in excess of $200. Apparently they're very proud of that year..

This, I absolutely hate. How many different Cubbie books have to exist about how special and magical there team is? There is NOTHING traditional about that team worth embracing!? The closest thing would be Harry's 7th inning singing and that is a maybe.

All the books are lies, about how they are special and unique. Blah, blah, blah blah. Any argument you make about the Cubs being special and unique, you can make about the Sox - so the Cubs have a few more years ahead of the Sox, big deal. The Cubs play in an old ballpark - so did the Sox. Both teams have had a track record for losing except since 2005. That is worth bragging about. That is worth celebrating, and it should only make Sox fans want another one even more.Both teams have had a track record for losing except since 2005. Before 2005, both teams were the same as far as I'm concerned.

All these different Cub books are all the same and make me sick when I look at the baseball section at Borders (which I do quite often). Everything about Cubs culture is lame.

cub killer
09-25-2009, 10:34 PM
This, I absolutely hate. How many different Cubbie books have to exist about how special and magical there team is? There is NOTHING traditional about that team worth embracing!? The closest thing would be Harry's 7th inning singing and that is a maybe.

All the books are lies, about how they are special and unique. Blah, blah, blah blah. Any argument you make about the Cubs being special and unique, you can make about the Sox - so the Cubs have a few more years ahead of the Sox, big deal. The Cubs play in an old ballpark - so did the Sox. Both teams have had a track record for losing except since 2005. That is worth bragging about. That is worth celebrating, and it should only make Sox fans want another one even more.Both teams have had a track record for losing except since 2005. Before 2005, both teams were the same as far as I'm concerned.

All these different Cub books are all the same and make me sick when I look at the baseball section at Borders (which I do quite often). Everything about Cubs culture is lame.
Very true. Remember, Harry Carey began the 7th inning stretch tradition with the White Sox. Don't forget that.

Your earlier post was also spot on, on how cub fans tend to be nerdy and wirey, while we Sox fans are definitely manlier. Even if I was from the north side, I still wouldn't be able to be a cub fan. Their culture is almost the antithesis of my personality. Fakeness, wimpiness, reliance on alcohol, etc. They're just pathetic.

I hope you stand proud with your White Sox fandom against your in-laws, and hopefully convert a few of them. There's only one team in this town that deserves to have "Chicago" on its jersey-- the good guys in black.

rwcescato
09-26-2009, 10:51 AM
If the Cubs ever won the World Series the Sox might as well move to Pago Pago. Cub fans would act like they and their team were the NL version of the Yankees, the national media would fall all over itself. The local media would be in a state of orgasmic frenzy for months. Fortunately it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Its never gonna happen dont worry about it!!!!:)

TommyJohn
09-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Very true. Remember, Harry Carey began the 7th inning stretch tradition with the White Sox. Don't forget that.

Harry Carey did not start the 7th inning stretch at Comiskey. In fact, he was dead by that time. And when he was alive, he was too busy shooting Hollywood Injuns to worry about baseball.

TornLabrum
09-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Harry Carey did not start the 7th inning stretch at Comiskey. In fact, he was dead by that time. And when he was alive, he was too busy shooting Hollywood Injuns to worry about baseball.

It might have been Harry Carey, Jr. He's still around, iirc.

soxfanreggie
09-27-2009, 01:54 AM
This is something that isn't going to happen this year, and unless they can make several improvements, they won't have a shot next year either.

cub killer
09-28-2009, 07:45 PM
This is something that isn't going to happen this year, and unless they can make several improvements, they won't have a shot next year either.They are 7 games out of the wild card with 7 to play. So tomorrow, they can be eliminated for the 101st consecutive season.

Here's some stats I just looked up on recent cub eliminations:

2008: at LA (game3 NLDS). Soriano makes final out
2007: vs Arizona (game3 NLDS) Ramirez makes final out to a chorus of boos
2006: vs LA (3rd to last week in season). Matt Murton makes last out.
2005: vs Houston (penultimate Saturday). Michael Barrett makes final out.
2004: vs Atlanta (Last Saturday of season). Moises Alou K's to end game.
2003: vs Florida (game7 NLCS). Paul Bako flies out to end season
2002:
2001: vs Cincinnati (last week of season) Sosa grounds out to end game

1998: vs Atlanta (game3 NLDS)

1994: The day Selig announced the season was cancelled

1989: at SF (game5 NLCS)

1984: at SD (game5 NLCS)

The cubs actually staved off elimination like 3 times in 2005. The Cincy game in 2001 was originally scheduled the week of 9/11.

DrCrawdad
09-28-2009, 08:47 PM
I'd be happy for the people I know who like the Cubs (because it really was a great feeling in 2005 and I'd like for them to know that feeling), and I'd hate it because all the stupid phony Cub fans would start chirping.
Other than that, it has no impact on me. The team I like won one - and hopefully will win more before I keel over.

I agree! IF they win a World Series, I'll be happy for some great friends of mine who happen to also be Cubs fans. On the other hand, their fanbase has an awful lot of condescending puds and as a result of the shear number of the puds I find it really hard to wish anything but ill on the Cubs.

For a long time I would have answered yes to that question. Cub fans always seemed to revel in that "lovable loser" thing. The atmosphere has changed somewhat since the 03 meltdown. Last year's epic choke didn't help matters either. There's more raw anger and cynicism among Cub fans than there used to be IMHO.

Let's not overlook the other factor - the Sox World Championship of 2005 & the following gains in Sox attendance and TV/radio ratings in '06. That scared the crap out of Cubune brass & I think that was what inspired the Cubs spending spree in '07 & afterward. And it's fueled the angst of Cubbie fans.

True, and the Tribune actually tried to use the same column width on stories as justification that teams were getting equal coverage. Over the last 30 years though it is not just the shear # of cubs stories more than the Sox, it's the subtle digs. Always finding a way to mention the Cubs even in positive Sox stories, only positive things happen in "Wrigleyville" negative things happen in "Lakeview", The laughable headlines that are slanted positive to the Cubs, negative to the Sox (Anyone remember the White Sox "Somber Streak"), More often than not the Cubs are the lead story in the paper and website. It goes on and on.

It won't change for quite some time, until the Cubbie lovers leave town...and it's not just the writers, but the editors on down. It wouldn't hurt if the Cubs suck for the next few years while the Sox have deep playoff runs.

Thank you! According to the Cubune the '09 the story now is not an embarrassing flop (the team was predicted to easily win the NL Central and waltz into the World Series) the story is how they are finishing up strongly. Also, the Cubune printed the "tragic number" countdown for the Sox, but I haven't seen that for the Cubbies. It's those digs that tick me off about the Cubs and the Cubune. I'll miss newspapers, should they fade away like it seems is inevitable, but I'll tramp the dirt down on the Chicago Tribune for their 20+ years of put-downs, snears and smears.

The Sox have a 3 year window with this pitching staff to do something akin to 2005. I truly feel if the Sox snag another October like they did 4 years ago, there truly WILL be a shift in this town.

Right now, the Cubs are a smoldering wreck and no one wants to a) take responsibility or b) sift through the wreckage.

No, they're finishing up strongly...

They are 7 games out of the wild card with 7 to play. So tomorrow, they can be eliminated for the 101st consecutive season.

Here's some stats I just looked up on recent cub eliminations:

2008: at LA (game3 NLDS). Soriano makes final out
2007: vs Arizona (game3 NLDS) Ramirez makes final out to a chorus of boos
2006: vs LA (3rd to last week in season). Matt Murton makes last out.
2005: vs Houston (penultimate Saturday). Michael Barrett makes final out.
2004: vs Atlanta (Last Saturday of season). Moises Alou K's to end game.
2003: vs Florida (game7 NLCS). Paul Bako flies out to end season
2002:
2001: vs Cincinnati (last week of season) Sosa grounds out to end game

1998: vs Atlanta (game3 NLDS)

1994: The day Selig announced the season was cancelled

1989: at SF (game5 NLCS)

1984: at SD (game5 NLCS)

The cubs actually staved off elimination like 3 times in 2005. The Cincy game in 2001 was originally scheduled the week of 9/11.

I believe their "tragic number" for the NL Wild Card is 1. It was 3 before yesterdays game when many Cubbie fans were chiding each other to "keep the faith." It's not faith, it's credulity. (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080627051009AAA9yxx)

TommyJohn
09-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Also, the Cubune printed the "tragic number" countdown for the Sox, but I haven't seen that for the Cubbies. It's those digs that tick me off about the Cubs and the Cubune. I'll miss newspapers, should they fade away like it seems is inevitable, but I'll tramp the dirt down on the Chicago Tribune for their 20+ years of put-downs, snears and smears.

I am shocked that the Tribune would do that. Shocked, I tell you. I won't miss it. I still have fond memories of 2005. How many teams were the Sox compared to that year? Let's see: 1993 Giants, 1995 Angels, 2001 Mariners, 1969 Cubs, 1984 Cubs, 1951 Dodgers, 1964 Phillies. When the Cubs were in 1st place in 2007 and 2008, it was all aboard the World Series Express. There is a joke I've seen that if the White Sox ever beat the Cubs in the World Series, the newspaper headlines would read: Cubs lose World Series; fall to Chicago. That's about the truth of it.

DrCrawdad
09-28-2009, 09:38 PM
I am shocked that the Tribune would do that. Shocked, I tell you. I won't miss it. I still have fond memories of 2005. How many teams were the Sox compared to that year? Let's see: 1993 Giants, 1995 Angels, 2001 Mariners, 1969 Cubs, 1984 Cubs, 1951 Dodgers, 1964 Phillies. When the Cubs were in 1st place in 2007 and 2008, it was all aboard the World Series Express. There is a joke I've seen that if the White Sox ever beat the Cubs in the World Series, the newspaper headlines would read: Cubs lose World Series; fall to Chicago. That's about the truth of it.

True, so true. Sad to say a couple of self-described "objective" Sox fans attacked me for not getting on board the 2009 Cubbies World Series Express when I said they had holes and potential holes earlier this year (here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2187322&postcount=18) & here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2187358&postcount=22).) Of course the one WSI Cubbie Apologist later slammed the Sox signing (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2105189&postcount=3) of Pods as, "So, so stupid. He can't even run anymore, let alone hit"

Waysouthsider
09-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Their culture is almost the antithesis of my personality. Fakeness, wimpiness, reliance on alcohol, etc. They're just pathetic.

\

Wow...this a classic statement cub killer! The northsiders remind me of fraternity or better yet adolescent wannabees....they are "in to" whatever its cool to be "in to" without any ****ing clue what they are "in to".....

My opinion is forget the world series and just blast that concrete-fallin', rat infested, urine soaked northside ****hole into the stratosphere....let the sCrUBs fans become part of the Red Sawx nation....if they'll have them!

soltrain21
09-29-2009, 11:39 PM

Your earlier post was also spot on, on how cub fans tend to be nerdy and wirey, while we Sox fans are definitely manlier. Even if I was from the north side, I still wouldn't be able to be a cub fan. Their culture is almost the antithesis of my personality. Fakeness, wimpiness, reliance on alcohol, etc. They're just pathetic.

I hope you stand proud with your White Sox fandom against your in-laws, and hopefully convert a few of them. There's only one team in this town that deserves to have "Chicago" on its jersey-- the good guys in black.

Are you ****ing serious? Way to generalize and look pretty ridiculous.

The only reason us Sox fans are so manly is because we beat up our wives and run on the field and beat up umpires, right? I mean, why wouldn't we? We have nothing else to do since we don't have jobs.

FielderJones
09-29-2009, 11:52 PM
The only reason us Sox fans are so manly is because we beat up our wives and run on the field and beat up umpires, right? I mean, why wouldn't we? We have nothing else to do since we don't have jobs.

Well, about the only difference between your generalization and his is that yours references a couple of losers from six years ago and his references tonight's gate at the Urinal.

Big D
09-29-2009, 11:56 PM

Hey, give them a break. How do you expect them to get through a Cubs game?

soltrain21
09-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Well, about the only difference between your generalization and his is that yours references a couple of losers from six years ago and his references tonight's gate at the Urinal.

So every Cubs fan has a reliance on alcohol? Right.

cub killer
09-30-2009, 05:13 AM
I believe their "tragic number" for the NL Wild Card is 1. It was 3 before yesterdays game when many Cubbie fans were chiding each other to "keep the faith." It's not faith, it's credulity. (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080627051009AAA9yxx)Haha. Well, it's over now. Time to add to the flubbie Wall of Shame...

Tuesday, September 29, 2009. Chris Iannetta hits a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 11th at Coors Field to lift the Rockies to victory versus the Milwaukee Brewers. This win officially eliminates the cubs from winning the World Series for the 101st year in a row.

cub killer
09-30-2009, 05:14 AM
So every Cubs fan has a reliance on alcohol? Right.He didn't say that. He was showing you that my generalization was closer than your generalization.

Hitmen77
09-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Haha. Well, it's over now. Time to add to the flubbie Wall of Shame...

Tuesday, September 29, 2009. Chris Iannetta hits a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 11th at Coors Field to lift the Rockies to victory versus the Milwaukee Brewers. This win officially eliminates the cubs from winning the World Series for the 101st year in a row.

FAILURE 101: America's Lovable Losers Do it Again.

I guess it's time for Hendry to whip out the Ricketts checkbook and overpay for some more overrated, aging talent. I can't wait for March when the media will start fawning over how this will be the Cubs's year and "It's Gonna Happen". :rolleyes:

DrCrawdad
09-30-2009, 09:17 AM

I guess it's time for Hendry to whip out the Ricketts checkbook and overpay for some more overrated, aging talent. I can't wait for March when the media will start fawning over how this will be the Cubs's year and "It's Gonna Happen". :rolleyes:

It's one thing for the media to lead the hype for the annual Cubbie World Series Express. I think we expect that. It's another thing for (people who claim to be) Sox fans, WSI posters, to be in the forefront of the Cubbie World Series Express.

soltrain21
09-30-2009, 11:17 AM
He didn't say that. He was showing you that my generalization was closer than your generalization.

But YOU said it - and it's a pretty stupid thing to say.

FielderJones
09-30-2009, 02:55 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-090930-cubs101-html,0,7686261.htmlpage

Of all the years represented on that graphic, that '05 at the bottom of the zero has to sting the Cubune the most. :D:

SOXPHILE
09-30-2009, 04:03 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-090930-cubs101-html,0,7686261.htmlpage

Of all the years represented on that graphic, that '05 at the bottom of the zero has to sting the Cubune the most. :D:

That's an awsome graph. That '05 winner showing the Sox does have to chap their ass, and I also think that the ones showing 6 other teams -Mets, Royals, Blue Jays, Angels, Marlins and Diamondbacks has to hurt too. Every team that was in existance in 1945 has since won at least one World Series, as have those 6 teams, the oldest of whom being the Mets, who came into existance a full 16 years after 1945.

Hitmen77
09-30-2009, 04:15 PM

LOL. I love it! Look at all those teams! The Braves in 3 different cities, plenty of expansion teams too. The Cubs became the team with the longest championship drought in 1980 when the Phillies won their first Series.

Interesting that the Cubs have lost 7 straight World Series that they've played in. I guess that fact has been long overshadowed by their 64-year pennant drought.

Hitmen77
09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
That's an awsome graph. That '05 winner showing the Sox does have to chap their ass, and I also think that the ones showing 6 other teams -Mets, Royals, Blue Jays, Angels, Marlins and Diamondbacks has to hurt too. Every team that was in existance in 1945 has since won at least one World Series, as have those 6 teams, the oldest of whom being the Mets, who came into existance a full 16 years after 1945.

Yes, but those 6 teams aren't as lovable as the Cubs.

There have been 14 expansion teams in MLB since 1961 and all but 3 of them (Rangers, Nationals, and Mariners) have at least made it to the World Series.

.... actually the Angels (1961) are one year older than the Mets (1962).

Craig Grebeck
09-30-2009, 04:31 PM
True, so true. Sad to say a couple of self-described "objective" Sox fans attacked me for not getting on board the 2009 Cubbies World Series Express when I said they had holes and potential holes earlier this year (here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2187322&postcount=18) & here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2187358&postcount=22).) Of course the one WSI Cubbie Apologist later slammed the Sox signing (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2105189&postcount=3) of Pods as, "So, so stupid. He can't even run anymore, let alone hit"
Dude, your obsession with me is really creepy.

The post regarding the Cubs doesn't really seem all that offensive. I stated that they were a "solid ballclub" with fewer holes than our Sox. Is that really shocking? Or false? They definitely disappointed, but I'd be happy if our Sox were eight games over the break even mark at the moment.

And regarding Pods, his bat has been surprising -- I'll give anyone that. Is it a fluke? In my opinion, yes, but I also hope we're not the team that buys too much into this season. Of course, this isn't the thread for that debate, so I'll save you the monthly splits/BABIP data. Still a complete dolt on the basepaths though.

DrCrawdad
09-30-2009, 11:02 PM
:whiner:Dude, your obsession with me is really creepy.

The post regarding the Cubs doesn't really seem all that offensive. I stated that they were a "solid ballclub" with fewer holes than our Sox. Is that really shocking? Or false? They definitely disappointed, but I'd be happy if our Sox were eight games over the break even mark at the moment.
:whiner:

And frankly, my quoted post doesn't really seem all that offensive. I stand by it. Don't like me or my posts? Fine. Try putting me on your ignore list. I've put you back on mine. Just as well to skip over your reflexive perpetual "objective" defenses of all things Cubbie.

http://home.mindspring.com/%7Edcrosby101/CG_DramaQueen.jpg

BadBobbyJenks
09-30-2009, 11:09 PM
:whiner::whiner:

And frankly, my quoted post doesn't really seem all that offensive. I stand by it. Don't like me or my posts? Fine. Try putting me on your ignore list. I've put you back on mine. Just as well to skip over your reflexive perpetual "objective" defenses of all things Cubbie.

http://home.mindspring.com/%7Edcrosby101/CG_DramaQueen.jpg

Wow you need a hobby or something.

DrCrawdad
09-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Wow you need a hobby or something.

I do, MLB.

BadBobbyJenks
09-30-2009, 11:24 PM
I do, MLB.

I have a serious question. Would you say you are more of a Sox fan or an anti Cubs fan?

DrCrawdad
09-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I have a serious question. Would you say you are more of a Sox fan or an anti Cubs fan?

Is that a sincere question or simply a loaded question (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_many_questions)? If you sincerely want to discuss this, please PM me about it.

BadBobbyJenks
09-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Is that a sincere question or simply a loaded question (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_many_questions)? If you sincerely want to discuss this, please PM me about it.

It was an honest question that needed no links to wikipedia, just an honest response.

DrCrawdad
09-30-2009, 11:48 PM
It was an honest question that needed no links to wikipedia, just an honest response.

I know that I am happy when the Sox win and angered by their losses. I know I observe Cubbie games without being happy or angered whether they win or lose.

You can draw your own conclusion, which I'd say you had already.

BadBobbyJenks
09-30-2009, 11:49 PM
You can draw your own conclusion.

Well I already have, that is why I figured I would ask you.

DrCrawdad
09-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Well I already have, that is why I figured I would ask you.

Loaded question was spot on then, right?

BadBobbyJenks
09-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Loaded question was spot on then, right?

No it was a not a loaded question. You either more of a Sox fan or more of an anti Cubs fan. If you are implying you are not an anti Cubs fan at all then I suppose I will accept that.

DrCrawdad
10-01-2009, 12:11 AM
No it was a not a loaded question. You either more of a Sox fan or more of an anti Cubs fan. If you are implying you are not an anti Cubs fan at all then I suppose I will accept that.

I think it’s certainly possible and reasonable for someone to be a fan of one team and follow the other baseball team in town too. I am a fan of the Sox, that’s the team I’m emotionally invested in. However, I admit (without a blush) to following (or paying attention to) the Cubs. I am a fan of baseball. I don’t see why that’s weird to some Cubs and Sox fans.

If I were in NYC, or Detroit or where ever I’d still be a fan of the Sox but I’d also follow that local team and wish to discuss that team. And in that arena, if someone pounded the Sox, I’d stick up for my team.

In that vein too, I posted my opinion on the '09 Cubs as having holes and not the juggernaut that many were claiming they were. Yet I also expected they'd win the NL Central. My remarks on their holes were slammed by "objective" Sox fans. I guess being objective to some means you can't be skeptical.

Nellie_Fox
10-01-2009, 01:11 AM
A reminder to everyone that it is considered a personal attack to tell someone you've put them on ignore. Ignore all you want; just keep it to yourself.

cub killer
10-01-2009, 07:22 AM
But YOU said it - and it's a pretty stupid thing to say.
I beg your pardon? Is that a personal attack?

Newsflash: This is What's The Score?. We slag on the cubs here. If you don't like it, you can always go to northsidebaseball.com.

DrCrawdad
10-01-2009, 07:54 AM
:clap:I beg your pardon? Is that a personal attack?

Newsflash: This is What's The Score?. We slag on the cubs here. If you don't like it, you can always go to northsidebaseball.com.:clap:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Oisgzp6ZgOc/RfP-6XCC90I/AAAAAAAABNQ/oxSdkgWwOjc/s320/lawrence+welk.jpg (http://www.hulu.com/watch/37752/saturday-night-live-the-lawrence-welk-show)
"TANK YOU, TANK YOU."

GoSox2K3
10-01-2009, 09:02 AM
:popcorn:

white sox bill
10-01-2009, 09:56 AM
If IIRC referring to this futile debate of Six v Cub fans, didn't the Tribe come out with a story on the fan demographics of both teams and the conclusion was that there is very little, if any, difference between them? For instance, cub fans income was on the average something like $1k per yr higher than Sox fans. Now did the Tribe put a spin on this? Only they know....

I have learned to control my disdain for our neighboor. I have a TON of cub fan friends who I would give the shirt off my back for. We just don't discuss baseball much for obvious reasons

SOX ADDICT '73
10-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Something that bugs me is when any Cubs player talks to the media about "wanting to be part of the team that finally brings a championship to the city of Chicago." That is, verbatim, the language they all use. Not only does it imply that 2005 was a figment of our imagination, but that this entire city is starved for a championship that only the Cubs can produce.

Chicago sports franchises that have won championships since 1908:
Bears - 9
Bulls - 6
Blackhawks - 3
Cardinals - 2
White Sox -2

The Rush and Fire have one apiece, and even the Chicago Sting won two soccer titles back in the eighties. It's not like we live in Cleveland (1964) or Seattle (never) for crying out loud.

Some will say that I am splitting hairs, that what these Cubs players mean is "...bring a championship to Cubs fans," or "...bring another championship to the city of Chicago." That may be what they mean, but that's not what they're saying.

soltrain21
10-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I beg your pardon? Is that a personal attack?

Newsflash: This is What's The Score?. We slag on the cubs here. If you don't like it, you can always go to northsidebaseball.com.

I don't think saying "that's a stupid thing to say" is a personal attack. Especially when you jump to a conclusion like "all Cubs fans depend on alcohol." Some people here might have personal issues with saying something in regard to alcoholism. But I guess it's cool since it's making fun of the Cubs, right?

Grow up.

SOXPHILE
10-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Enough of this. Lets everyone get back to making fun of the Cubs and Cubs fans.

DrCrawdad
10-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I don't think saying "that's a stupid thing to say" is a personal attack. Especially when you jump to a conclusion like "all Cubs fans depend on alcohol." Some people here might have personal issues with saying something in regard to alcoholism. But I guess it's cool since it's making fun of the Cubs, right?

Grow up.

From what I've observed, Cubs fans fairly frequently spew (discussion groups, radio and in person) ugly, demeaning stereotypes of Sox fans and it's extremely rare to ever hear a fellow Cubbie fan chide them. Sox fans, here on WSI and other places, don't seem to tolerate that stuff towards Cubs fans.

Your comments here soltrain21 are example of what I'm talking about. Meanwhile Cubbie fans can whip out racist tinged smears, talk of Sox fans being trailer trash, etc. with no objection by Cubbie fans.

voodoochile
10-01-2009, 12:46 PM
yeah, this thread is over...