PDA

View Full Version : Fields set to be traded in the off-season.

Danielgosox38
09-18-2009, 07:59 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1775440,CST-SPT-soxnt17.article

jabrch
09-18-2009, 08:50 PM
We likely get a bag of balls - and have to return the bag.

all*star quentin
09-18-2009, 09:10 PM

I get alot of new material here. Seriously, that cracked me up! LOL

Congrats to Mr and Mrs Fields on the pending birth of Baby #1

MarkZ35
09-18-2009, 10:25 PM
I was going to post the same thing or that the Sox would get a candy bar.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2009, 10:27 PM
No big loss.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
09-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Remember in the '07 off season where people were debating whether or getting Brian Roberts would be enough of a return for Josh Fields?

soxfanreggie
09-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Who knows what will happen with Fields, but with a very young infield and others in the system, he will have better opportunities elsewhere. You might have a team with little to spend on a 3rd baseman or back-up infielder who is willing to take a chance on him based on some things he's done in the past.

DumpJerry
09-18-2009, 10:41 PM
I was wondering how we would land Soriano.

Noneck
09-18-2009, 10:43 PM
If someone is not happy on the team. Get rid of him. Having an unhappy player is a cancer.

thomas35forever
09-18-2009, 10:50 PM
He won't be missed.

WSox597
09-19-2009, 06:00 AM
I was wondering how we would land Soriano.

Please, no. We have enough scary outfielders as it is, we don't need to add a bad ballet dancer in LF.

Some of his moves out there were pure comedy gold, like a demented bull fighter.

soxinem1
09-19-2009, 07:22 AM

Would that be termed as 'A Ball Bag To Be Returned Later'??:smile:

chisox12
09-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Too bad it didn't work out, but we gotta try to get something for him. Even if it is a bag of balls. He gone.

LITTLE NELL
09-19-2009, 12:24 PM
I thought we really had something with Fields after his 07 season.
I will always wonder how things would have turned out with him if Crede was still hurt or traded before the 08 season.

Tragg
09-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Way to go-wait until the value is zilch and trade him. He still may be able to hit. Just a soon let him play first and see if he can play. That way he may develop some value, for the Sox or in trade. As it is, the Sox need a third baseman.

VMSNS
09-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Well, Kenny was able to get us Kotsay for Brian frickin' Anderson. Maybe he can get lucky and get some stupid team to give us someone decent for Fields.

TheVulture
09-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Way to go-wait until the value is zilch and trade him. He still may be able to hit. Just a soon let him play first and see if he can play. That way he may develop some value, for the Sox or in trade. As it is, the Sox need a third baseman.

Great idea - giving a bum player time in the lineup for the chance of increasing his trade value sounds like the road to the World Series to me.

SephClone89
09-20-2009, 12:39 PM
As it is, the Sox need a third baseman.

This again? Becks is the Sox third baseman of the future.

kufram
09-20-2009, 03:33 PM

Umm... we have a first baseman and we have a third baseman.

doublem23
09-20-2009, 04:40 PM

You probably haven't noticed this while you were off complaining about something, but we have a third baseman.

soxfanreggie
09-20-2009, 04:48 PM

Do you know something we don't, or did this guy slip your mind?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Beckham

Johnny Mostil
09-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Well, Kenny was able to get us Kotsay for Brian frickin' Anderson. Maybe he can get lucky and get some stupid team to give us someone decent for Fields.

Thank you. I hope I never doubt his abilities as GM.

khan
09-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Two years too late.

Anyone who looked at Fields' minor league numbers could've seen that he was on his way to becoming EXACTLY what he is: A strikeout waiting to happen, and a guy who can't catch a cold.

KW should have shipped Fields and his strikeouts out the door years ago. Best of luck to him, but he won't be missed.

Tragg
09-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Great idea - giving a bum player time in the lineup for the chance of increasing his trade value sounds like the road to the World Series to me.
That's what the minor leagues are for. Who said anything about letting him learn 1B in the majors.
Buying high and selling low lately is assuredly no way to win a WS.

You probably haven't noticed this while you were off complaining about something, but we have a third baseman.
You probably didn't notice between your zeal to make another smart ass comment when people have different ideas than you, but Beckham is a middle infielder playing 3B out of necessity and the Sox defense was "challenged" to say the least.

doublem23
09-21-2009, 10:40 AM
You probably didn't notice between your zeal to make another smart ass comment when people have different ideas than you, but Beckham is a middle infielder playing 3B out of necessity and the Sox defense was "challenged" to say the least.

Considering that he's never played third base regularly, he's been fantastic this season. There's no reason to think he needs to move anywhere else, just because a guy played middle infield in college that doesn't mean that's the only position he could possibly play. Mark Teixeira wasn't a 1B in college, he wasn't drafted as a 1B, and he played a full minor league season exclusively at 3B, but when he was promoted to the Rangers in 2003, at the age of 23 (older than Beckham is now), he was moved to accommodate players that were already there at the MLB level... Should the Yankees consider moving him around because it's not his "natural" position?

Gordon Beckham is a third baseman.

Waysouthsider
09-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Why not let him go earlier in the season if that's where they were headed...? At least once Beckham showed he could be a competent defensive third baseman...now they are lucky to get anything for Fields after investing all of this time and energy into him.

Good luck Josh.....

voodoochile
09-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Considering that he's never played third base regularly, he's been fantastic this season. There's no reason to think he needs to move anywhere else, just because a guy played middle infield in college that doesn't mean that's the only position he could possibly play. Mark Teixeira wasn't a 1B in college, he wasn't drafted as a 1B, and he played a full minor league season exclusively at 3B, but when he was promoted to the Rangers in 2003, at the age of 23 (older than Beckham is now), he was moved to accommodate players that were already there at the MLB level... Should the Yankees consider moving him around because it's not his "natural" position?

And actually developing into a pretty decent one. He's even starting to make some plays to his right. If TCM and Beckham are the right side of the Sox infield for the next decade, I'd be just fine.

AZChiSoxFan
09-21-2009, 05:15 PM
we likely get a bag of balls - and have to return the bag.

lol

#1swisher
09-21-2009, 10:52 PM
They showed Fields sitting in the dugout @tonites game against the Twins.
Didn't Cora work with Josh during the off season in Florida:scratch:

Domeshot17
09-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Chalk up another pissed away first round draft pick

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-21-2009, 11:11 PM

I agree with everything above. The question I have for you and anyone else that agrees with the above, is when did this become a realization? I was under the impression that most everyone on here doubted Beck would be back at 3B next season. I think he's done wonderful this year considering this is his first year AND his first year at 3B. Our summer-long infield defense deathmarch is over.

Domeshot17
09-22-2009, 12:51 AM
I agree with everything above. The question I have for you and anyone else that agrees with the above, is when did this become a realization? I was under the impression that most everyone on here doubted Beck would be back at 3B next season. I think he's done wonderful this year considering this is his first year AND his first year at 3B. Our summer-long infield defense deathmarch is over.

I still hate him at 3rd base but its mostly because we have Chris Getz. Defensively I think he will be fine, but offensively he compares more favorably at 2b. He is one of those guys that if you could add a good 3b who can hit you slide to 2nd, or if you can find a 2b who can hit you keep at 3rd. He has really cooled down, so his numbers are not going to look great seasons end. Its all about next year. He wont be in the top 5 of MLB 2b or 3b hitting wise, but the real key is can he move from the middle 12-20 into the 6-11 group. Needs that power to come around. Im thinking 270 20 80 800ish OPS for him next year, which would put him 8-10 in 2b and 10-13 in 3b. The Big key is hitting for more doubles and home runs. He has the POTENTIAL to take the next step, to be a top 7 2b or top 10 3b with 30 homer power, but it has to develop out.

pudge
09-22-2009, 02:05 AM
Chalk up another pissed away first round draft pick

This is the real story - going for guys who look good in a pair of jeans, but can't hit worth a lick. At least Kenny seems to have changed his tune with the last two picks, who seem more about proven talent than some bogus "potential".

Craig Grebeck
09-22-2009, 02:35 AM
I have no idea why this has become an accepted fact around here. Beckham absolutely should go back to the middle infield and a 3B should be acquired sometime this offseason.

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-22-2009, 12:06 PM
I have no idea why this has become an accepted fact around here. Beckham absolutely should go back to the middle infield and a 3B should be acquired sometime this offseason.

Why not? To me it makes more sense to pursue an OF replacement for Dye than to pick up a 3B, unless you think we can do both. I don't see how an infield of PK, Getz, Alexei and Beckham is flawed. Yes I know about our wonderful infield defense over the summer, but it seems like the boys have it figured out now.

I assume that if we pick up a 3B (Figgins???) then it'll be PK, Alexei, Beckahm and ???. So that gives us Kotsay, Nix AND Getz on the bench? Maybe my love towards Getz is getting in the way of my logic.

I also assume the big plan is if we get Figgins, then we can say goodbye to Pods? If that's the case who is our 3rd OF? In any event, it is truly an exciting time on the southside!

doublem23
09-22-2009, 12:12 PM

Based on what? Middle infielders are available everywhere, but a franchise third baseman comes along every so often. Considering he's 22 and 1/2 a season into his career at the hot corner, he's been absolutely impressive, if he works on it this off-season and learns to move to his right better, he'll be perfectly fine staying at third. There is no third baseman out there (yes, this includes the laughably overrated Chone Figgins) worth acquiring and moving Beckham.

voodoochile
09-22-2009, 12:12 PM

Man that would be cool. Now if we can just convince JR to increase the budget to $130M sol good...

kufram
09-22-2009, 12:21 PM
I can't see the infield changing next year. Getz is a good, solid baseball player. Where does anyone get the idea that he won't develop? Alexei is going to be an excellent SS with the mental lapses that disappear next season and the lazy throws eliminated already, really. Beckham is the 3B of the present and future. These guys are all rookies at their position people! By the end of next year no one will want to move any of them. Don't rebuild an infield in the middle of rebuilding an infield.

To move Beckham to 2B because his offensive numbers will look better at that position is about the silliest reason I can think of to make such a move.

voodoochile
09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
I can't see the infield changing next year. Getz is a good, solid baseball player. Where does anyone get the idea that he won't develop? Alexei is going to be an excellent SS with the mental lapses that disappear next season and the lazy throws eliminated already, really. Beckham is the 3B of the present and future. These guys are all rookies at their position people! By the end of next year no one will want to move any of them. Don't rebuild an infield in the middle of rebuilding an infield.

To move Beckham to 2B because his offensive numbers will look better at that position is about the silliest reason I can think of to make such a move.

:thumbsup: :clap:

Zisk77
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM

I pretty much agree. also As I've stated before and actually posted a list their are more current STUD 2b in the Game then STUD 3b. So Beckham's value is greater at 3b than at 2b when Historically 2b WAS the weaker position.

IF we were to acquire Figgins I would guess that LF would be his primary position for us...not 3b.

Tragg
09-22-2009, 12:43 PM
And actually developing into a pretty decent one. He's even starting to make some plays to his right. If TCM and Beckham are the right side of the Sox infield for the next decade, I'd be just fine.
Still, our infield defense has stunk this year. To make no changes is to go into 2010, again, expecting poor defense.
It's a leap to suggest that Beckham is a plus defender at 3rd.

Still, we can't fix everything and if Williams can find a young RF entering his prime, that would really help this club too. I'm just not sure what we have to offer in trade. Maybe we can trade Fields for another team's outfield disappointment and get lucky.

Zisk77
09-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Still, our infield defense has stunk this year. To make no changes is to go into 2010, again, expecting poor defense.
It's a leap to suggest that Beckham is a plus defender at 3rd.

Why? Beckham has been very solid over the last month. I think he has a shot to eventually be a gold glover. Yes our infield defensive has been Atrociously horroble this year. However its been solid over the last month and they are all rookies (except Paulie) at their positions, so developing is what is happening. These aren't veterans who what you see is what you get. i think it is foolish to make drastic changes because the defense started horrible but improved thinking it will continue to be horrible.

I think with our limited $ we need to improve our OF by adding 2 OF (tCQ to DH) and adding Bullpen if possible.