PDA

View Full Version : It's Time To See What We Have For 2010

Lillian
09-18-2009, 07:05 AM
This is a .500 team, and has a lot of questions regarding next season.
It seems to me that it's now time to play the remainder of the season with an emphasis upon resolving some of those issues. Therefore I hope the Sox will do the following:

1) Shut Gavin down. Playing with that hip could cause him to alter his motion and damage his arm.

2) Shut Peavy down. He is a very competitive guy and is probably pushing himself to get ready for what was thought to be a realistic playoff run. It now seems foolish to risk a premature return. Let the elbow heal completely, and make sure that his legs are really strong enough to pitch without unnecessary strain on his arm.

3) Give most of the catching duties to Flowers. Castro will likely not be brought back, and Flowers should be A. J.'s backup next year. Let's see if he can handle that role, and give him a chance to get some Major League at bats. I would actually prefer to see him catch most of the remaining games, and DH the rest.

4) Play C. J. Retherford at a few positions in an attempt to discern whether or not his bat is ready for the big leagues, and where he might play. He is very versatile but has no clear best position, as far as I understand anyway.

5) Start, and or relieve Hudson, Torres and Ely. Perhaps at least one of them can fill a bullpen spot next year.

6) Jhonny Nunez should be used as often as possible instead of Dotel and Lindbrink. He could be another important piece in the Pen.

7) Give Carrasco some later inning work to see if he could take over Dotel's spot. Octavio's contract expires, and it would help to know if they have other options.

8) Matt Thornton should close the rest of the way. Let's see if he could replace Bobby. It will be a difficult decision to pay Jenks the kind of money that he will likely get in arbitration, especially when you reflect upon the always uneasy feeling he now gives you every time he comes in with the game on the line.

9) Shut Dye down, and let Kotsay get some more playing time in RF. Dye has been just awful the second half, and Kotsay may end up being an important piece for next year.

10) If they want to consider moving Alexei, it could be worthwhile to see if Beckham is a Major League SS. I know that management insists that Gordon is their third baseman of the future, but I still drool over the prospects of having him be an All Star shortstop. His bat is much more impressive as a shortstop. There are lots of good hitting thirdbasemen.
That would also open up third to C. J. Retherford. I'm just not sold on Alexei defensively, although admittedly, I was sure that he would be just terrific at SS. What a disappointment!

11) Let's see if Tony Pena could handle the set up role. I doubt it, but if Thornton closes and the Sox don't bring back Dotel or Jenks, they may need him there.

Does anyone have any other ideas for this scenario of playing the rest of the season for next year? Or, of course, some of you would probably like to debate whether it makes sense to do this. I'm not saying that they have to stop playing hard. I'd just prefer to see some other players giving their best effort, instead of some of the guys who won't, or shouldn't be back next year.

Craig Grebeck
09-18-2009, 07:11 AM
I would let Hudson take Gavin's last few starts if the hip is too bothersome (though I trust Herm). For the lineup here on out:

SS Ramirez
3B Beckham
C Pierzynski
LF Quentin
1B Konerko
RF Dye
CF Rios
2B Getz
DH Flowers

harwar
09-18-2009, 07:40 AM
This is a .500 team, and has a lot of questions regarding next season.
It seems to me that it's now time to play the remainder of the season with an emphasis upon resolving some of those issues. Therefore I hope the Sox will do the following:

1) Shut Gavin down. Playing with that hip could cause him to alter his motion and damage his arm.

2) Shut Peavy down. He is a very competitive guy and is probably pushing himself to get ready for what was thought to be a realistic playoff run. It now seems foolish to risk a premature return. Let the elbow heal completely, and make sure that his legs are really strong enough to pitch without unnecessary strain on his arm.

3) Give most of the catching duties to Flowers. Castro will likely not be brought back, and Flowers should be A. J.'s backup next year. Let's see if he can handle that role, and give him a chance to get some Major League at bats. I would actually prefer to see him catch most of the remaining games, and DH the rest.

4) Play C. J. Retherford at a few positions in an attempt to discern whether or not his bat is ready for the big leagues, and where he might play. He is very versatile but has no clear best position, as far as I understand anyway.

5) Start, and or relieve Hudson, Torres and Ely. Perhaps at least one of them can fill a bullpen spot next year.

6) Jhonny Nunez should be used as often as possible instead of Dotel and Lindbrink. He could be another important piece in the Pen.

7) Give Carrasco some later inning work to see if he could take over Dotel's spot. Octavio's contract expires, and it would help to know if they have other options.

8) Matt Thornton should close the rest of the way. Let's see if he could replace Bobby. It will be a difficult decision to pay Jenks the kind of money that he will likely get in arbitration, especially when you reflect upon the always uneasy feeling he now gives you every time he comes in with the game on the line.

9) Shut Dye down, and let Kotsay get some more playing time in RF. Dye has been just awful the second half, and Kotsay may end up being an important piece for next year.

10) If they want to consider moving Alexei, it could be worthwhile to see if Beckham is a Major League SS. I know that management insists that Gordon is their third baseman of the future, but I still drool over the prospects of having him be an All Star shortstop. His bat is much more impressive as a shortstop. There are lots of good hitting thirdbasemen.
That would also open up third to C. J. Retherford. I'm just not sold on Alexei defensively, although admittedly, I was sure that he would be just terrific at SS. What a disappointment!

11) Let's see if Tony Pena could handle the set up role. I doubt it, but if Thornton closes and the Sox don't bring back Dotel or Jenks, they may need him there.

Does anyone have any other ideas for this scenario of playing the rest of the season for next year? Or, of course, some of you would probably like to debate whether it makes sense to do this. I'm not saying that they have to stop playing hard. I'd just prefer to see some other players giving their best effort, instead of some of the guys who won't, or shouldn't be back next year.

This all makes sense, but i'm not sure, with the way things are right now, that it could happen .. i think the players and coaching staff are counting the minutes to the last game so they can all scatter and just forget all about 2009 .. KW will probably be the only one seriously already working on next year

DumpJerry
09-18-2009, 07:45 AM
I would let Hudson take Gavin's last few starts if the hip is too bothersome (though I trust Herm). For the lineup here on out:

SS Ramirez
3B Beckham
C Pierzynski
LF Quentin
1B Konerko
RF Dye
CF Rios
2B Getz
DH Flowers
I would not have Alexei leadoff. He does his best work in clutch situations with runners in scoring position.

cws05champ
09-18-2009, 09:14 AM
I think Flowers should get some starts but not most. AJ is having a great year and if you take him out that is sending a bad message to all the veterans.

First of all, CJ Retherford and Ely are not even on the 40 man roster, so you will not see them with the Sox this year. Retherford needs time in AAA, and he seems to profile as a Chris Getz or Jayson Nix type...both of which we already have.

If you want any other pitchers up it should be Jon Link in the BP and I think Hudson should start as well.

Agreed on both...

Again I can see why you want to shut down some veterans to play kids, but Mark Kotsay is 33. Why shut down a 34 yr old to play a 33 yr old? Again, if Dye wants to play out the season you should let him....we owe him that respect at least. He doesn't have to play every game but it should be his choice whether he wants to go out there or shut it down.

I don't think he can handle it but we need to see what he has for next year.

Lillian
09-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks 'CWS05CHAMP'. Those are all good points. My thinking with Dye and Kotsay was that the Sox are apparently considering bringing Kotsay back, but I doubt that is the case with Dye. However, I agree that we owe Dye the consideration. If he wants to play, and thinks he can improve his prospects for a good contract, I agree that we should give him that opportunity.

I would still like to see what Flowers can do behind the plate. A. J. probably wouldn't mind DHing most of the rest of the games.

aryzner
09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I disagree with wanting Flowers to be AJ's backup next year. I don't want a kid with that potential getting limited ABs all year long.

Tragg
09-18-2009, 10:56 AM

SS Ramirez
3B Beckham
C Pierzynski
LF Quentin
1B Konerko
RF Dye
CF Rios
2B Getz
DH Flowers

Looks fine with me.
This platooning of Nix and Getz is ridiculous.

JohnTucker0814
09-18-2009, 11:02 AM

SS Ramirez
3B Beckham
C Pierzynski
LF Quentin
1B Konerko
RF Dye
CF Rios
2B Getz
DH Flowers

I would tweak the line-up to this:

2B Getz
3B Beckham
DH Pierzynski
LF Quentin
SS Ramirez
1B Konerko
C Flowers
RF Dye
CF Rios

dickallen15
09-18-2009, 11:53 AM
When they are eliminated, I would play guys like Flowers and Hudson and Nunez to get them some experience on the major league level. But keep in mind, their results good or bad shouldn't be the measuring stick of KW's offseason moves. Judging players in meaningless games in Sept. leads to a lot of mistakes.

khan
09-18-2009, 11:58 AM
1) Shut Gavin down.
2) Shut Peavy down.
If they're healthy, they should be given the first right of refusal to pitch or to be shut down. These two will be key for next year, regardless of who else is in the rotation.

3) Give most of the catching duties to Flowers. Castro will likely not be brought back, and Flowers should be A. J.'s backup next year.
Flowers' swing has looked a bit long to this point, though he hasn't had enough AB. I think it would be silly to have him as a backup for next year, unless AJ is ready to platoon. Flowers' development would be better served getting full-time duties @ Charlotte instead of 1 or 2 games/week in Chicago in 2010. That is, at least to start 2010.

While I'd give Flowers more AB, AJ hasn't done anything to warrant him losing his spot. AJ has been a part of the solution, not part of the problem for the most part this season.

4) Play C. J. Retherford
As others have said, he's not on the 40-man, and either he or Nix or Getz will be trade bait, anyway.

5) Start, and or relieve Hudson, Torres and Ely.
Sure. I was opposed to starting Hudson, given that we had a tiny sliver of hope of contending, AND that he's in his 1st professional season. I still wouldn't give Hudson too many more innings because of his youth.

6) Jhonny Nunez
7) Carrasco
8) Matt Thornton
Agreed with giving these three more opportunities.

9) Shut Dye down, and let Kotsay get some more playing time in RF.
Disagreed. Kotsay is at best a 4th OF on a good team. Dye deserves more respect, despite his struggles in the 2nd half. It's not like Kotsay is a wunderkind, and it's not like the minor league system has a bumper crop of near-MLB level OF prospects.

10) If they want to consider moving Alexei, it could be worthwhile to see if Beckham is a Major League SS.
At his price point, Alexei is a valuable commodity. His affordable contract, given his performance level, gives KW the flexibility to pursue solutions at other spots.

11) Let's see if Tony Pena could handle the set up role.
Why not?

Not a bad topic, although I'm disappointed to be posting in it this early in the year. :(:

captain54
09-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Only the diehard of diehards (like me) are still watching any of these games, the way I see it. It's downright painful to continue to watch this ****.

The only remaining option, in terms of entertainment value and possibly generating any interest in 2010, is to remove the dead weight from the current roster, sit their ass on the bench, and inject some fresh blood.

That means Dye, Rios, Jenks, Linebrink, and anyone else that wets the bed the rest of the year.

You bet that the Sox brass cannot wait for this season to end. At this point, it's diminishing returns. The more games the Sox play, the more it seems the frustration mounts. That being said, lets put some fresh blood on the field.

kufram
09-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I want to see the best lineup out there on any given day to WIN the game on that day. Of course you don't play people who are in danger of further injury but the season is still not decided and you play the game to WIN.... not look at up and comers. You have spring training and fall leagues for that. How would you feel if a team playing your rival in a race put out a try-em-out lineup?

Jimmy Piersall
09-18-2009, 12:37 PM
If they do end up shutting down Floyd & Burls to save some
wear & tear then they should also consider doing it to TCQ.

Redus Redux
09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Peavy needs to pitch. Get any butterflies he'd have next year out the window, with his first Sox home start.

Then he can take the rest of the offseason to get back to being his old self.

Cant wait for next year.

Redus Redux
09-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Will CJ Retherford possibly be seen as an emergency catcher, if he makes the team?

If so, we could use AJP and Flowers together as C/DH on some nights.

Then get Pods back, Kotsay back for part time play, and you could really go to town on getting relievers for this team. I only say this b/c I dont like the free agent market for LF/DH

Lillian
09-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Will CJ Retherford possibly be seen as an emergency catcher, if he makes the team?

If so, we could use AJP and Flowers together as C/DH on some nights.

Then get Pods back, Kotsay back for part time play, and you could really go to town on getting relievers for this team. I only say this b/c I dont like the free agent market for LF/DH

I remember reading that C. J.'s college coach thought that catching was his best chance to make it to the Big Leagues. I don't know whether that was because he really showed that much potential as a catcher, or was just a way of saying that he wasn't going to be good enough to make it at any of the other positions that he plays.
He's played every position, but who knows where he really has the best chance to excel?

soxfanreggie
09-18-2009, 01:19 PM

SS Ramirez
3B Beckham
C Pierzynski
LF Quentin
1B Konerko
RF Dye
CF Rios
2B Getz
DH Flowers

You're not going to play Kotsay over Dye? Do you think Dye is coming back next year? I would rather see more of Kotsay because I think he is going to be back next year, not Dye. I thank Jermaine for what he's done, but he can have some days off between now and the end of the season, IMO.

Wouldn't it be good to give AJ's knees a break and see Flowers at C. He will get the at-bats, and AJ gets a few games off from catching.