PDA

View Full Version : Onion article on Jeter and Baines...

HomeFish
09-17-2009, 09:54 AM
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/derek_jeter_honored_for_having?utm_source=a-section

doublem23
09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
:rolling:

Boondock Saint
09-17-2009, 10:00 AM
:clap:

spawn
09-17-2009, 10:03 AM
That's awesome. :rolling:

BainesHOF
09-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Good stuff.

LITTLE NELL
09-17-2009, 10:15 AM
The last sentence is a little strange.

If Harold had spent his whole career with the Sox he might already be in the HOF, thats just my opinion but when you have a great career and its all with one team the powers that be, I think look at that in a favorable light. Look at Jim Rice, Harold was just as good as him but Rice spent his whole career with the BoSox and sits in the HOF.

KnightSox
09-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Classic.

kobo
09-17-2009, 10:19 AM
That is hilarious!

BringBackBlkJack
09-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for sharing! That was hilarious! Someone needs to make sure Harold sees this.

voodoochile
09-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Harold responds...

:harold
"..."

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-17-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm never surprised with what the Onion comes up with!

Rohan
09-17-2009, 10:43 AM
All very true.

Hitmen77
09-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Hilarious!!!! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

The Onion has come up with some pretty good baseball-related articles over the past few years. Some of the funnier ones have been where PNC Park was threatening to move to another city unless Pittsburgh gave it a better team and the article where the Tampa Bay Rays said "**** You, Cubs" after winning the pennant last year.

....this one is yet another classic from them.

khan
09-17-2009, 11:58 AM
If Harold had spent his whole career with the Sox he might already be in the HOF, thats just my opinion but when you have a great career and its all with one team the powers that be, I think look at that in a favorable light. Look at Jim Rice, Harold was just as good as him but Rice spent his whole career with the BoSox and sits in the HOF.
Based on Rice's numbers, Baines and Fred McGriff SHOULD BE in the HOF.

But neither one of those guys played for Boston, the team that has something like 5 or 6 baseball writers voting for the HOF. Neither one of those guys will get the Eastern Seaboard Propaganda Network to back their bid for the HOF. The HOF has become the Hall of the Pretty Good, anyway.

The article was priceless, though...

Procol Harum
09-17-2009, 12:19 PM
That is fantastic stuff--absolutely priceless. I guess it only goes to show what most of us in Flyover Country know to be true when it comes to media presence and fame--to paraphrase the song "New York, New York", if you make it there, they'll make sure you make it everywhere...

Shoeless_Jeff
09-17-2009, 01:39 PM
That is fantastic stuff--absolutely priceless. I guess it only goes to show what most of us in Flyover Country know to be true when it comes to media presence and fame--to paraphrase the song "New York, New York", if you make it there, they'll make sure you make it everywhere...

To be fair, Forbes ranked Chicago the 2nd most entertaining city in the country.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/01/entertaining-american-cities-lifestyle-real-estate-fun-cities.html

And The Onion wins yet again.

Bobby Thigpen
09-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Outstanding.

Waysouthsider
09-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the post...that is terrific!

Thanks!
:D::D::D::D::D:

TDog
09-17-2009, 03:13 PM
The last sentence is a little strange.

The piece is excellent satire. The last sentence is an indictment of the Yankee-centric media.

Jonathan Swift could not have written a better satirical argument for Harold Baines belonging in the Hall of Fame.

Well done. And I love the illustration.

thomas35forever
09-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Great stuff right there. Only the Onion would compare Jeter and Baines. The numbers in the article also give more reason that Baines should be in the HOF.

g0g0
09-17-2009, 04:18 PM
That made my day! :D:

mzh
09-17-2009, 04:59 PM
The piece is excellent satire. The last sentence is an indictment of the Yankee-centric media.

Jonathan Swift could not have written a better satirical argument for Harold Baines belonging in the Hall of Fame.

Well done. And I love the illustration.

I completely agree. This proves to some degree that even among the sportswriters there is a bias towards teams like the yankees, where there are articles saying that Jeter would be in the HOF if he retired today, despite the fact he has less hits, home runs, and RBI than Baines. Also, I am getting sick of the argument that he deserves it because he was a champion. Are Adam Morrisson or Luke Walton HOFers because they won with the Lakers? No. And while I think Jeter will eventually be put in the HOF, Baines should be there.

soxinem1
09-17-2009, 11:08 PM
And who says that former White Sox greats get no attention!!!

ramblinsoxfan11
09-18-2009, 12:58 AM
hahahahaha that was awesome, definitely improved my mood after losing today's game. The Onion has some great Chicago sports articles, earlier this year there was one entitled "Bears to introduce new Play like Crap Offense"

Write on Onion, America's Finest News Source

Irishsox1
09-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Don't let ESPN see that article, they broke into coverage multiple times to show Jeter setting the Yankee's hits record.

dickallen15
09-18-2009, 11:45 AM
I completely agree. This proves to some degree that even among the sportswriters there is a bias towards teams like the yankees, where there are articles saying that Jeter would be in the HOF if he retired today, despite the fact he has less hits, home runs, and RBI than Baines. Also, I am getting sick of the argument that he deserves it because he was a champion. Are Adam Morrisson or Luke Walton HOFers because they won with the Lakers? No. And while I think Jeter will eventually be put in the HOF, Baines should be there.

Jeter has 140 less hits in about 1300 less AB. You can't really be serious that Jeter if he retired today shouldn't be a HOFer because Baines isn't can you?

FarmerAndy
09-18-2009, 11:53 AM
The Onion is a national treasure. And their most humorous work is in articles like this one, where the content is all true.

I fell out of my chair laughing at this one. It really put Yankee hype into perspective.

Harold was my favorite player. But I'm still not convinced he's a Hall of Famer. And the Rice argument doesn't convince me, because I don't think he should've been put in there either. In my opinion, arguing for Hall of Fame induction on the premise of other undeserving players getting in is a weak argument. If Harold had reached that 3,000 hit mark, it would probably be a different story, as that is widely considered a HOF worthy benchmark, for better or worse. But in the end, I think Harold falls a little short. He was a very good player for a very long time. But at any point in his career, was there ever a stretch of at least few seasons where he was at least one of the top 2 or 3 dominating players at his position? Not really.

I think the humor in this article is based on the notion that Harold Baines was a really good, but not HOF caliber, player. It's pointing out the silliness of the hype surrounding Jeter's arbitrary acheivement, and how premature any HOF talk might be.

FarmerAndy
09-18-2009, 11:55 AM
As far as Jeter in the HOF, though....... He has a good handful of years left to pile on the numbers. And the offensive standards for a SS are not quite the same as they are for an OF/DH.

He will be a HOF'er

Moses_Scurry
09-18-2009, 02:25 PM
"They called him the Iron Horse for a reason," said Jeter, apparently referring to the retired designated hitter and sometime outfielder, whose 1981 Fleer rookie card is worth $9.99 in perfect mint condition. "He was a hero. Not just to baseball fans, but to the entire country."

:roflmao:

I have the Topps rookie card with his autograph. I wonder what it's worth.

soxfanreggie
09-18-2009, 08:02 PM
:rolling:

Hilarious!