PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-16-09 "Not Gavin a Good Time" Postgame Thread

Brian26
09-16-2009, 11:23 PM
6.5 out, not good.

GlassSox
09-16-2009, 11:24 PM
I think I hear the fat lady clearing her throat.

VMSNS
09-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Well...at least Rios got a hit. :bandance:

#1swisher
09-16-2009, 11:25 PM
If Floyd has a hip issue, he shouldn't have gone to the mound tonite:scratch:

Shoeless
Too little, too late, Beck :(

Noneck
SOS different day. Not a fun one to watch.

GlassSox
09-16-2009, 11:26 PM

Yes I agree.

GoGoCrede
09-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Poor Gavin. Poor us.

09-16-2009, 11:29 PM
When is someone going to be held accountable for this team's record? We have the 2nd highest payroll in the division, one that is in the top 10 in baseball, are under .500, and surprise surprise we still can't score runs.

We have had 78 Quality Starts. That is good for the best in the American League. So why don't we have the division lead in a crappy division? Better yet, why the **** are we not over .500?

DumpJerry
09-16-2009, 11:31 PM
We have had 78 Quality Starts. That is good for the best in the American League. So why don't we have the division lead in a crappy division? Better yet, why the **** are we not over .500?
"Quality Starts" is one of Baseball's most useless stats.

sox1970
09-16-2009, 11:36 PM

It's not a great stat, but if given the choice, I'd want the Sox starters to have a lot of quality starts. Better than the alternative.

ChiSox81
09-16-2009, 11:37 PM
When is someone going to be held accountable for this team's record? We have the 2nd highest payroll in the division, one that is in the top 10 in baseball, are under .500, and surprise surprise we still can't score runs.

Well I think it all comes down to next year barring major injuries of course. KW has given Ozzie the best team in the division. If Ozzie doesn't win the central or WC and there are not major injuries then yes Ozzie needs to be shown the door. This team is light years ahead of the other teams in this division. I still can't figure out how they didn't win the Central this year.

guillensdisciple
09-16-2009, 11:39 PM
WE blow chunks.

thomas35forever
09-16-2009, 11:39 PM
It's not a great stat, but if given the choice, I'd want the Sox starters to have a lot of quality starts. Better than the alternative.
Yeah. That should save our 'pen, but we know that hasn't been the case either.

09-16-2009, 11:44 PM

I disagree

ChiSox81
09-16-2009, 11:48 PM

I think the QS stat can be somewhat useful. Certainly for the top 3 guys in the rotation I would expect more then a QS but I am not going to complain if the 4 and 5 guys in my rotation are only giving me QS.

SoxSpeed22
09-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Time to add another one, BBJ.
This was a blech game, it's pretty much a matter of time now.

TDog
09-16-2009, 11:50 PM

Unless the team is fighting to stay in the division race.

Nellie_Fox
09-16-2009, 11:51 PM

I disagreeSo if the pitcher goes six innings, giving up three runs (ERA 4.50) he's done a good job, but if he goes eight innings, giving up four runs (ERA 4.50) he hasn't? That's what the QS stat would have you believe. The latter is not a QS, even though the ERA is the same, and he's saved your bullpen two innings of work.

Hell, if he pitches a complete game allowing four runs, it's not a QS. It's just not a well-thought-out statistic.

JB98
09-16-2009, 11:57 PM
The Sox offense sucks. It has been bad for the majority of the year. I'm tired of looking at it. I'm glad the season is almost over.

hawkjt
09-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Bottom line, the starting pitching has been good enough this year to win the division. The bullpen has been shaky and very non-clutch,but still good enough...defense has been bad until recently, and worst of all is our clutch hitting...and surpisingly, power hitting.

Our hitting with RISP is bad. Tonite was symptomatic of the year...we outhit them, but have no shot losing 4-1.
It just seems like our guys do not perform well with guys on base. It is so frustrating.
And the homers have gone away with JD's drop,Carlos' woes, PK and Thome's aging. If we are going to a speed and high batting average approach, we need some high average hitters,like the Angels have.
Noticed that Abreu tonite was mentioned as hitting .366 with RISP.
We do not have enough guys like that.
Gavin is pitching like he is hurting the last two times out...maybe tonite is it for him...by Monday, it could be moot.

southsideirish71
09-17-2009, 12:03 AM
The Sox offense sucks. It has been bad for the majority of the year. I'm tired of looking at it. I'm glad the season is almost over.

For the 2nd time in 3 years we are going to finish near last in the AL in runs scored. This shouldn't happen considering that we play 81 games at the Cell.

WhiteSox5187
09-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Well I think it all comes down to next year barring major injuries of course. KW has given Ozzie the best team in the division. If Ozzie doesn't win the central or WC and there are not major injuries then yes Ozzie needs to be shown the door. This team is light years ahead of the other teams in this division. I still can't figure out how they didn't win the Central this year.

If you are talking about next year, I tend to agree with you. But if you mean this year, remember this: our pitching rotation at the start of the year consisted of Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, Colon (gone) and Contreras (gone). Our starting third baseman was Josh Fields, our plan for CF was a platoon of Wise and Anderson, off of the bench we had the mighty Wilson Betemit, Brent Lillebridge and our backup catcher was Corky Miller (whose saving grace was he wore AWESOME stirrups). This team had a lot of holes and those holes have been exposed over the course of the year.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm glad the season is almost over.I'm never glad when baseball season winds down.

Danielgosox38
09-17-2009, 12:12 AM
I've stopped believing. Ready for next year.

oeo
09-17-2009, 12:18 AM

Because in the second half we're getting no production from our outfield, our bullpen has fell off a cliff, and we've been going with three starting pitchers for most of the time. In the month of August, the only two guys that were hitting were AJ and Alexei.

Kenny didn't give us the best team in the division to start the year. The first couple months are what killed us the most. Anderson/Wise in CF, Anderson/Wise/Getz leading off, Fields at 3B, Contreras and Colon in the rotation. In the second half we've had other problems.

Go get 'em tomorrow. This weekend will make or break our chances the rest of the way. We need to sweep the Royals and the Twins need to at least take 2 out of 3 from the Tigers.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Another chance to get back to .500... thrown away, another loss to an unknown mediocre pitcher. Check.

And Ozzie's talking about fundamentals again...just like last year...and the year before...and the year before that. Yet they are still awful at them. Is it the players? (who have changed over the years) or is it the staff trying to teach them? (which basically hasn't changed in four years...)

Irish:

I can easily see it happening when your philosophy is "home run or nothing" you have an aging core in the middle of the lineup and you can't consistently execute fundamentals (get em on, get em over, get em in) to save your soul.

Lip

ChiSox81
09-17-2009, 12:24 AM

Sorry if I didn't make this clear enough. I am very disappointed about not winning this year but I am willing to give Ozzie and KW a pass. Next year I am not. This is the best team in the division. They better win it next year barring major injuries of course.

oeo
09-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Sorry if I didn't make this clear enough. I am very disappointed about not winning this year but I am willing to give Ozzie and KW a pass. Next year I am not. This is the best team in the division. They better win it next year barring major injuries of course.

Next year we should all have high expectations considering we should have one of the best, if not the best, rotations in the game going in. There's still some holes to fill, but I think the Sox realize we're in a real good position in 2010.

I'm as excited for the 2010 team as I was for the 2006 team.

BadBobbyJenks
09-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Time to add another one, BBJ.
This was a blech game, it's pretty much a matter of time now.

I am glad I chose to watch the Ultimate Fighter over this nonsense.

Jeckle2000
09-17-2009, 01:35 AM

Who else should Ozzie of sent out there? Torres? Hudson? Carrasco?

I have no complaints with the decision to send Gavin out there... Ozzie was hoping he could at least survive. He couldn't... But it was worth a shot.

soxfanreggie
09-17-2009, 03:30 AM
Next year we should all have high expectations considering we should have one of the best, if not the best, rotations in the game going in. There's still some holes to fill, but I think the Sox realize we're in a real good position in 2010.

I'm as excited for the 2010 team as I was for the 2006 team.

I agree (as long as you were real excited for the 2006 team). I am quite excited for next year and think we'll have a much better starting position than we had this year. I think making one key acquisition, like a Figgins or Abreu could help. I'm not sure if we'll get either of them, but it would help us out to have either of them.

I do think we should let Hudson and Torres each have a start or at least some more relief time because I want to see more out of them. I also want to see Flowers catch a couple games.

dickallen15
09-17-2009, 04:04 AM
Considering how this year's rotation ranks which is in the top 3 in most categories, KW is going to have some work to do, even with the addition of Peavy.

guillensdisciple
09-17-2009, 06:09 AM
Considering how this year's rotation ranks which is in the top 3 in most categories, KW is going to have some work to do, even with the addition of Peavy.

It is pretty obvious that the problem is with the hitting, and it is made more obvious by the amount of times the Sox have been shut out this year and lost to pitchers they have never faced.

The combination of Getz/ Beckham growing up, Rios/ Quentin getting re acclimated, Dye leaving, and the infusion of some more young guys on the bench will be what vaults this team into contention next year. The Getz/ Beckham this will happen- it is the Rios/ Quentin thing that worries me.

delben91
09-17-2009, 06:12 AM

Wait, so with a top 3 rotation and adding Peavy, KW still needs to do more work on the rotation?

guillensdisciple
09-17-2009, 06:12 AM
To show how stupid and infuriating this team is; the White Sox have gone loss-win since September 1st and have been stuck between 1 game and 2 games under .500 since then.

Talk about being content with being average.

Danielgosox38
09-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Is this team even considered mediocre anymore?

LITTLE NELL
09-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Is this team even considered mediocre anymore?
2 games under mediocre.

WhiteSox1989
09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
I didn't watch the game last night.

But I was getting "twitter updates" from Cowley. I know I say this a lot, but what an ass.

If Sox fall out of it soon don't be shocked if Floyd and Buehrle are each shut down for the year.

If Floyd is really hurt, I understand this. But I don't see why would Buehrle be "shut down"? He's been solid his last couple starts.

GoGoCrede
09-17-2009, 09:47 AM

But I was getting "twitter updates" from Cowley. I know I say this a lot, but what an ass.

If Floyd is really hurt, I understand this. But I don't see why would Buehrle be "shut down"? He's been solid his last couple starts.

That's because you know nothing about baseball. He's the EXPERT!

kobo
09-17-2009, 10:18 AM
The only reason I can think of is due to the innings pitched. He's thrown 198 innings already this year, and every year since 2001 he has thrown 200+ innings.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2009, 10:28 AM
2 games under mediocre.I think you can be considered mediocre if you're within one standard deviation of .500. :tongue:

Paulwny
09-17-2009, 10:55 AM
And Ozzie's talking about fundamentals again...just like last year...and the year before...and the year before that. Yet they are still awful at them. Is it the players? (who have changed over the years) or is it the staff trying to teach them? (which basically hasn't changed in four years...)Lip

Yep, same old song.
In today's Trib Oz says there will be a big focus on fundamentals next spring.
He also said, " We missed so many signs this year, it was unbelievable."

oeo
09-17-2009, 02:36 PM

Probably so we don't see a repeat of 2006. The Sox have been cautious with Buehrle since then, and rightfully so, especially after signing him long term. If we're out of it, there's no reason Buehrle should be throwing meaningless innings.

People will compare it to Peavy, but Peavy's arm is strong right now. I don't think 20 innings or so will hurt him. If he's healthy, let him throw some.

oeo
09-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Yep, same old song.
In today's Trib Oz says there will be a big focus on fundamentals next spring.
He also said, " We missed so many signs this year, it was unbelievable."

Yep, somehow that's the coaches. :lol:

Lip Man 1
09-17-2009, 10:47 PM
I don't know who is at "fault" for the Sox lack of fundamentals the past four years but what I do know is that the Sox have changed a number of the players in that time with no significant improvement.

I can only conclude one of two things.

Either the players who come to the Sox from other organizations are just as stupid in a baseball sense as the players who have been with the team for a few years...

or the coaches aren't teaching fundamentals very well despite Ozzie 'supposedly' making it a point of contention in spring training for the past four years.

Lip