PDA

View Full Version : Don't Stop Believin'

FielderJones
09-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Reloaded (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/12217691). At least the Sox are given proper credit for the song's rebound. You traitor, Perry. :tongue:

DumpJerry
09-16-2009, 09:48 PM
It's Uribe and Rowand he's digging.

Rocky Soprano
09-16-2009, 10:41 PM
The wife scored tickets to Oprah yesterday and I went along. I could not believe it when they announced that Journey would be the guests! The show theme was Dont Stop Believin' and they talked about how they found their new lead singer and had a couple of other guests.

It was really nice to see them live and rock out to Don't Stop Believin'!

samurai_sox
09-17-2009, 02:19 AM
Mostly because he is a Giants fan. Seems like we started a trend....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/15/SPU219M4EO.DTL

Seriously, I don't remember hearing the song used in baseball before our glorious World Series run. :D:

Dibbs
09-17-2009, 12:36 PM
It's amazing the 2005 White Sox started it all. It's funny the Dodgers sing it every game, and probably have no idea they are copying it from us.

thomas35forever
09-17-2009, 02:35 PM
It's amazing the 2005 White Sox started it all. It's funny the Dodgers sing it every game, and probably have no idea they are copying it from us.
Agreed. First, Nancy plays "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss 'Em Goodbye" and now this. We follow a revolutionizing team, people.

downstairs
09-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Agreed. First, Nancy plays "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss 'Em Goodbye" and now this. We follow a revolutionizing team, people.

And fireworks. And names on the backs of uniforms. And throwback uniforms for a turn-back-the-clock game.

And possibly they can be credited with the modern wave of black uniforms. In 1990, I don't think anyone had used black for decades, and it was never a trend- just something Pittsburgh did because it was a primary color.

samurai_sox
09-17-2009, 09:09 PM
And fireworks. And names on the backs of uniforms. And throwback uniforms for a turn-back-the-clock game.

And possibly they can be credited with the modern wave of black uniforms. In 1990, I don't think anyone had used black for decades, and it was never a trend- just something Pittsburgh did because it was a primary color.

Don't forget ending World Series droughts in Chicago! We all know they won't do it!

Oblong
09-18-2009, 09:13 AM
I always wondered if the Sox's use in 2005 was the source of this revival. Whenever we go to a festival or stuff like that when this song gets played the place goes crazy. It wasn't like that until a few years ago.

Although the writer is a little wrong about it being used in Michigan a lot. That's a recent thing. The Wings play the "born and raised in South Detroit" bit only when Brian Rafalski, from Dearborn, scores or gets an assist. I don't go to Michigan Football games but I heard it was played last week and some were not happy (Tradition thing?) and that made me think it was a recent addition.

And I don't care, I loved how teh Sopranos used it. It was perfect for the show at that time.

soxinem1
09-24-2009, 12:59 PM

And don't forget 'Turn Back The Clock' games as well. They originated here too!!

LITTLE NELL
09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
When it comes to baseball innovations, the White Sox are the cutting edge.

SteveFakeBlood
09-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Cool article, I just forwarded it to my girlfriend- she doesn't care about baseball- but that's one of her favorite songs.

But we were also trend-setters in a couple other things I didn't see mentioned:

- singing "Take me out to the ballgame" every game during the 7th inning stretch. Note the wording of that... we were not the first team to have the crowd sing "Take me out to the Ballgame", nor the inventors of the 7th inning stretch, but we were the first to combine the two every game*.

-"The Star-Spangled Banner" was also first played before a game at Comiskey Park- but while the Scrubs were playing the Red Sox there- probably because the Urinal is unsuitable for baseball**.

~Steve

Sources: *http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianextra/2008/06/diamond_ditty_turns_100.html (You're welcome).

** from "Flag: An American Biography" by Marc Leepson and Nelson DeMille, via Google Books: http://tinyurl.com/yfx4r3e

PS I know citing my sources is a bit weird- but as a former journalism student and current library school student, it's habitual- it's even slightly fun when I don't have to use some lame citation method.