PDA

View Full Version : Question about Suspensions

mzh
09-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Jorge Posada and Jesse Carlson were both suspended 3 games for the brawl a few nights ago, and that got me thinking: why aren't the suspension times different for pitchers and batters? If a batter is suspended 3 games, he misses 3 starts if he is an everyday player, but a pitcher might not miss anything at all. It's like suspending a starting pitcher for 4 games. What's the point? For example, earlier this year, Josh Beckett was suspended 5 days for throwing at Ian Kinsler, IIRC. If that is a hitter he misses 20 or so at bats, but for Beckett all that happens is his start gets pushed back a day. Has nobody in the higher levels of MLB considered this?

soxfanreggie
09-16-2009, 07:25 PM
I think it's because teams would just change their position to a fielder. There might even be something in the CBA about it. Ultimately, it's not fair, but teams would probably fight it so much it would just cause more headaches. Ultimately the guy you want suspended is a starting pitcher or your most seldom-used bench player. Missing 3 or 4 games is nothing for them, unless they lose pay.

TheVulture
09-16-2009, 08:18 PM
They should make it 8 or 9 days after the date of the offending start so they have to miss a start.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Because it isn't about punishing the team, it's about punishing the player. So, it's not about how many games the player will miss (punishing the team) but how many days' pay he loses (punishing the player.)

The Players' Assn. would never agree to pitchers losing much more pay than position players for the same offense, and I'm certain the courts would agree with them.

Boondock Saint
09-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Position players and starting pitchers get different suspensions. Generally, when a starting pitcher gets suspended, it's for five or six games.

soxfanreggie
09-17-2009, 03:32 AM
Position players and starting pitchers get different suspensions. Generally, when a starting pitcher gets suspended, it's for five or six games.

How often is that then "reduced" by a game or two on appeal?

downstairs
09-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Nah, think of it as a percentage of their season, which I think is fair.

1 start is equal to 5 starts of a position player.

Otherwise if you wanted to make it fair a 5 game suspension for a normal player would mean a 25 game suspension for a pitcher! That's absolutely nuts, that's like 15% of the season! For a minor event.