PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Magglio (douchebag)

jabrch
09-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Your 18mm option just vested!

Tragg
09-16-2009, 04:22 PM
That takes care of $18 million of the tiggers budget for next year. Sounds good to me.

Marqhead
09-16-2009, 04:32 PM
That takes care of $18 million of the tiggers budget for next year. Sounds good to me.

+1

If he continues to get PA next year and continues to struggle all while saddling their payroll I'm all for it. I still can't believe they let him reach that plateau no matter what the ramifications would have been.

VeeckAsInWreck
09-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Dinner is on Magglio. Lord knows he can afford it.

getonbckthr
09-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Why do I see an Ordonez for Bradley trade this winter?

VeeckAsInWreck
09-16-2009, 04:40 PM

That's the equivalent of trading my nephew's dirty diaper for your grandpa's dirty diaper.

Marqhead
09-16-2009, 04:42 PM
That's the equivalent of trading my nephew's dirty diaper for your grandpa's dirty diaper.

Go on...

soxinem1
09-16-2009, 04:44 PM
This is one of the few times I can remember a player doing everything possible to get benched and not deserve an option kicking in, but he got it anyway.

This shows that hard work, consistent performances, and being tight with your manager can add millions to your net worth!

Just what we teach our kids!!!

hawkjt
09-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Evidently he has another option year that could vest next year for another 18 million in 2011 if he gets enough AB's....

now, on the other hand, in the last 11 games he started, he is 21 of 46 and has his batting average up to .294 with OBA of .365

But his run production numbers overall are bad.
Still, if he stays hot and gets them to the playoffs, the Tigers will probably not regret playing him.

soxinem1
09-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Evidently he has another option year that could vest next year for another 18 million in 2011 if he gets enough AB's....

now, on the other hand, in the last 11 games he started, he is 21 of 46 and has his batting average up to .294 with OBA of .365

Still, if he stays hot and gets them to the playoffs, the Tigers will probably not regret playing him.

And he has like TWO RBI in those eleven games.

voodoochile
09-16-2009, 05:05 PM

His OPS in August was .961. In September it's 1.034. With the Kittens in the pennant chase, I can understand why he's getting PT...

DumpJerry
09-16-2009, 08:17 PM
.....I'm still trying to figure out the "douchebag" part of the thread title. Maybe if the OP was in Magg's shoes, he would have declined the 18MM......

TheVulture
09-16-2009, 09:37 PM
I'd take Magglio everyday of the week over Milton Bradley, come on now!

Hitmen77
09-16-2009, 09:55 PM

Good for Detroit. They deserve getting stuck with him - they're the ones who offered him that insane contract. Nobody put a gun to their heads in 2004 to offer Maggs that much in 2010.

Maggs has been great for Detroit, but we were able to win a World Series by letting him go. Thank you Maggs and Bora$$ for saying goodbye to the Sox!:gulp:

Brian26
09-17-2009, 12:00 AM

I've been predicting this for years. Mags will end up on the North Side.

WSox597
09-17-2009, 10:39 AM

Hitting 40 HRs a year into the basket.

I always liked Maggs when he was with the White Sox, although he ended badly after the ill-fated collision and all that.

I can't get mad about him doing what any of us would do if offered $18 million.

Take it and smile. "Thank you, sir!"

Oblong
09-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I understand some crap went down in Chicago with Boras and all that but I have to say in his time here Maggs has been nothing but class and until the first half this year, consistent. I like that he never throws his helmet or bat, like some guys do when they hit a pop up with a guy on, etc. He has the same demeanor whether he's 4-4 or 0-4. Was/Is he worth the money he got? No. But that's what the Tigers had to do in 2004 to get guys to come here. The ownershp doesn't seem to care.

Hitmen77
09-17-2009, 11:04 AM

Is he really all that likely to go to a team that can't use a DH at this point in his career? Maggs will be 36 next year.

doublem23
09-17-2009, 12:01 PM
.....I'm still trying to figure out the "douchebag" part of the thread title. Maybe if the OP was in Magg's shoes, he would have declined the 18MM......

Maggs was a douchebag long before he got his fancy deal with the Tigers.

gobears1987
09-17-2009, 12:06 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Some of Kenny's best decisions as a GM have been the moves and signings he has not made. Watching Jim Hendry and the Flubs makes me appreciate JR and KW's fiscal responsibility.

KenBerryGrab
09-17-2009, 01:00 PM
At least he cut the hair.

jabrch
09-17-2009, 02:13 PM

I will never forgive him for the way he left. By no means do I fault him for accepting the 18mm. I don't fault him for taking big money to leave. I don't begrudge what he is making at all.

He's a douchebag for saying it wasn't about money, and then not even allowing the Sox doctors access to basic medical records regarding some procedure he went to Europe to have done.

Ozzie called Maggs a "Venezuelan piece of ****". I'd take away the Venezuelan part - as it sheds a negative light on a nation that shouldn't get the blame for Magglio's behaviour. But he's a douche in my eyes. To each their own if you think the crap he pulled when he was here was right.

Marqhead
09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
I think now is as good a time as any for me to ask this question because I don't remember:

When Magglio became a free agent, did the Sox make him an offer similar to that of the Tigers? Did the Sox make him an offer at all?

I remember him leaving on bad terms but I didn't remember the exact details.

doublem23
09-17-2009, 09:46 PM
I think now is as good a time as any for me to ask this question because I don't remember:

When Magglio became a free agent, did the Sox make him an offer similar to that of the Tigers? Did the Sox make him an offer at all?

I remember him leaving on bad terms but I didn't remember the exact details.

He was offered a huge extension before the start of the 2004 season that he declined to sign. Then he got hurt. When the Sox were talking about perhaps a contract in the off-season between 2004-2005, Maggs and his agent Scott Boras, refused to allow Maggs to work out or be seen by a physician despite the fact his procedure had to be done in Europe since it is illegal over here in the U.S. of A.

Brian26
09-17-2009, 09:54 PM
He was offered a huge extension before the start of the 2004 season that he declined to sign. Then he got hurt. When the Sox were talking about perhaps a contract in the off-season between 2004-2005, Maggs and his agent Scott Boras, refused to allow Maggs to work out or be seen by a physician despite the fact his procedure had to be done in Europe since it is illegal over here in the U.S. of A.

Don't forget the Kenny-Mags summit on the Fan Deck after he got hurt in '04.

munchman33
09-17-2009, 11:59 PM
I understand some crap went down in Chicago with Boras and all that but I have to say in his time here Maggs has been nothing but class and until the first half this year, consistent. I like that he never throws his helmet or bat, like some guys do when they hit a pop up with a guy on, etc. He has the same demeanor whether he's 4-4 or 0-4. Was/Is he worth the money he got? No. But that's what the Tigers had to do in 2004 to get guys to come here. The ownershp doesn't seem to care.

He denied the White Sox medical records while still under contract to stop them from offering arbitration months later. All while saying he wanted nothing more than to be back.

**** Maggs. He's the biggest piece of **** to ever leave our team. Detroit can have him, the ****face matches everything else in that town.

09-18-2009, 12:36 AM
He denied the White Sox medical records while still under contract to stop them from offering arbitration months later. All while saying he wanted nothing more than to be back.

**** Maggs. He's the biggest piece of **** to ever leave our team. Detroit can have him, the ****face matches everything else in that town.

:dumbass:

Hitmen77
09-18-2009, 12:37 AM

...and yet this may have been the best thing to ever happen to the White Sox. I really believe that if the Sox and Maggs agreed to a contract extension, we would have not won the World Series in 2005.

I stopped being mad at Maggs and Boras over this on 10/26/05 when Magglio's replacement was named World Series MVP.

jabrch
09-18-2009, 01:55 AM
...and yet this may have been the best thing to ever happen to the White Sox. I really believe that if the Sox and Maggs agreed to a contract extension, we would have not won the World Series in 2005.

I stopped being mad at Maggs and Boras over this on 10/26/05 when Magglio's replacement was named World Series MVP.

It ended up fine for us. But that doesn't make him any less a douche.

munchman33
09-18-2009, 03:27 AM
it ended up fine for us. But that doesn't make him any less a douche.

+1

DumpJerry
09-18-2009, 07:47 AM
I will never forgive him for the way he left. By no means do I fault him for accepting the 18mm. I don't fault him for taking big money to leave. I don't begrudge what he is making at all.

He's a douchebag for saying it wasn't about money, and then not even allowing the Sox doctors access to basic medical records regarding some procedure he went to Europe to have done.

Ozzie called Maggs a "Venezuelan piece of ****". I'd take away the Venezuelan part - as it sheds a negative light on a nation that shouldn't get the blame for Magglio's behaviour. But he's a douche in my eyes. To each their own if you think the crap he pulled when he was here was right.
Bygones. Really, the departure of Maggs has brought us more benefits than deficits. Anyway, nobody is perfect.

SOXSINCE'70
09-18-2009, 07:54 AM

And he'll spend 2 years on the DL there.:tongue:

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-18-2009, 09:01 AM
And he'll spend 2 years on the DL there.:tongue:

Why, is he pitching?

TommyJohn
09-18-2009, 09:30 AM

:moron

And it will utterly destroy the White Sox franchise!!! I predicted this in 2004 and it will come true!!! It Will!!! It will!!! Please make it come true!!! It has to!!! Don't you understand??? IT has to!!!

TommyJohn
09-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Bygones. Really, the departure of Maggs has brought us more benefits than deficits. Anyway, nobody is perfect.
Yeah, bygones are bygones. And ex-roiders are ex-roiders.

soxfanatlanta
09-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Your 18mm option just vested!

Almost make the Rios contract look like a bargain :smile: