PDA

View Full Version : Tigers revamped rotation...

hawkjt
09-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Sounds like Washburn will miss at least one start if not the rest of the year with a bad knee. Gallarraga,who replaced Robertson,is being replaced by Bonine. Figaro is being called up to replace Washburn,it appears.

So, as of today, they appear to be going with Verlander,Porcello,Jackson,Bonine and Figaro.

Jackson has been leaking oil of late. Verlander has thrown more pitches than any pitcher in MLB this year. Porcello is 20 yrs old. If Leyland guides this home to a division,title, heckuva managing job.
But they do have the cushion to survive a few losses.

Meanwhile,Maggs vested yesterday, so he will return for another 18 million payday next year ,and could vest again next year for another 18 million in 2011. That would make his deal roughly worth 111 million over 7 years with the tigers....nice contract,Maggs. He is hitting well the second half so he might end up being worth it to the Pizza Man. If they win the division this year that will be two titles in 5 years with Maggs...a huge improvement over recent years for the Tigers.

Just hope the Twins and Sox can put pressure on this young rotation over the next 2.5 weeks.

PorkChopExpress
09-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Bad news for the Sox if we wind up facing Bonine and Figaro. Everyone knows we struggle against guys like that.

TDog
09-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Sounds like Washburn will miss at least one start if not the rest of the year with a bad knee. Gallarraga,who replaced Robertson,is being replaced by Bonine. Figaro is being called up to replace Washburn,it appears.

So, as of today, they appear to be going with Verlander,Porcello,Jackson,Bonine and Figaro.

Jackson has been leaking oil of late. Verlander has thrown more pitches than any pitcher in MLB this year. Porcello is 20 yrs old. If Leyland guides this home to a division,title, heckuva managing job.
But they do have the cushion to survive a few losses.

Meanwhile,Maggs vested yesterday, so he will return for another 18 million payday next year ,and could vest again next year for another 18 million in 2011. That would make his deal roughly worth 111 million over 7 years with the tigers....nice contract,Maggs. He is hitting well the second half so he might end up being worth it to the Pizza Man. If they win the division this year that will be two titles in 5 years with Maggs...a huge improvement over recent years for the Tigers.

Just hope the Twins and Sox can put pressure on this young rotation over the next 2.5 weeks.

In 1964, five years before divisional play, the Phillies, who had never won a championship going back into the 19th century (they made the Cubs look like a team with a winning history) seemed to have built a safe lead with 12 games to go. Following the games of September 20, the Cardinals and Giants were 6.5 back and the Giants were just a half game behind them. Compared to the AL race, where the Yankees led the Orioles by 1 game and the White Sox by 2 games, the race looked over.

I was too young to remember, but Gene Mauch's starting rotation was running out of gas and he revised the rotation. At season's end, he was down to a three-man rotation of Jim Bunning, Chris Short and Dennis Bennet. And Jim Bunning shut out the Reds on the last day of the season to pull back into a tie with them while in St. Louis the Cards were beating the last-place Mets to finish a game ahead of both. It was the most storied collapse in baseball history.

I'm not suggesting that the Tigers will collapse. For a team to collapse, the teams trailing that team must win games, and that hasn't yet developed. But with all the games among the Tigers, Twins and White Sox remaining, all three teams will have the chance to make history.

jabrch
09-16-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't think for a second we will catch them...but I sure wouldn't mind seeing it made interesting. We play them 6 of our last 9...I know the odds are amazingly long - but who the hell knows?

tstrike2000
09-16-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm not suggesting that the Tigers will collapse. For a team to collapse, the teams trailing that team must win games, and that hasn't yet developed. But with all the games among the Tigers, Twins and White Sox remaining, all three teams will have the chance to make history.

Definitely not unheard of. Just ask the Mets, Rockies, Cubs, and Tigers to name a few just within the last 5 years. The '04 Cubs had the wild card locked up and blew it to the Astros, the '07 Mets had a 7 game lead with 17 to go and blew it, '06 Tigers won the wild card, but should've won the division by ending the season 19-31 over their last 50, and the '07 Rockies had that unheard of tear to end the season. I'll admit, I gave the Sox just about no chance after that horrid road trip, but anything can and has happened.

sox1970
09-16-2009, 01:40 PM
They should pick up Bartolo. He was released today.

Goose
09-16-2009, 01:53 PM

The Tigers picking up Colon would be GREAT NEWS*!

*(For the White Sox)

Jimmy Piersall
09-16-2009, 01:57 PM

A stunner.He's was always there for us.:rolleyes:

JB98
09-16-2009, 02:05 PM
I think the Tigers have enough cushion to hang on. They're probably going to get waxed in the playoffs, especially if they are unable to set their rotation.