PDA

View Full Version : Juan Uribe

nug0hs
09-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Juan has absolutely been tearing it up lately for the SF Giants. Word from a big fan friend of mine says "hes been basically keeping them in contention" with his bat, and has even moved to the cleanup spot at times lately. ESPN.com's Fantasy note says: "He's hitting .349 this month with with five homers and 10 RBI in just 43 at-bats." -- On top of that, his season totals are 13 HR, 46 RBI, and 97 hits in just 336 ABs...thats good for a .289 AVG, .326 OBP, and .500 SLG. I'm sure we all knew that he would have this kind of power as he hit 20+ HR in 3 of his 5 seasons with us, but that average and obp are his best numbers since the '04 season. You can definitely count on me backing the Giants in their tight wild card race over the next few weeks!

twentywontowin
09-16-2009, 10:27 AM
He's on a hot streak right now. Same old story for Juan, goes on an absolute tear at times and then can't hit a damn thing for three weeks.

Glad to see him doing well though.

VeeckAsInWreck
09-16-2009, 11:26 AM
He's on a hot streak right now. Same old story for Juan, goes on an absolute tear at times and then can't hit a damn thing for three weeks.

That sums up Juan's career with the White Sox. I remember several weeks in the 2004 season where he carried the team with his bat.

Good luck to him and The Giants. It's funny to see their highlights and hear things like "Aaron Rowand hits a single up the middle to drive in Juan Uribe". It's like watching old Sox highlights.

mantis1212
09-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Is Juan afree agent after this year? I say we go get him back to play SS and move alexei back to 2B

Mr.1Dog
09-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Is Juan afree agent after this year? I say we go get him back to play SS and move alexei back to 2B

Where do you play Getz then?:scratch:

Marqhead
09-16-2009, 11:40 AM

This team is not signing, nor does it need to sign Juan Uribe.

munchman33
09-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Where do you play Getz then?:scratch:

Not everyone is enamored with Getz's play. Though I doubt Uribe is a better solution.

MisterB
09-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Of course he's doing well - he's actually had to earn playing time this year. The Giants signed him to a minor league deal and he had to earn a spot on the ML roster in ST. He was the utility IF to start off, but due to injury to Renteria, Sandoval being used at 1B for a stretch, and their rookie 2B flaming out, he's gotten some playing time and has taken advantage of it.

But hand him a starting job and a multi-year contract and he gets lazy.

DumpJerry
09-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Ummm...nope. Chris Getz is a stud in the making. He would be a bigger rookie standout for us if not for Beckham's presence on the roster.

mantis1212
09-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Ummm...nope. Chris Getz is a stud in the making. He would be a bigger rookie standout for us if not for Beckham's presence on the roster.

I like the SB from Getz, but other than that I think he's been pretty mediocre. I'm not suggesting handing Juan a contract and a starting job, but let him compete for it. If his glove is still anything like it was last year (i haven't seen any footage this year), he's a superior infielder to anyone we have on the roster. Watching Alexei has gotten very painful.

manders_01
09-16-2009, 02:32 PM

Glad to see him doing well though.

I love me some Juan-y but I'm really voting for that "can't hit a damn thing for three weeks" to kick in! :D:

veeter
09-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Uribe's arm never slumps. Man, he threw a rocket to complete a double play yesterday. I always liked Juan, but he doesn't fit with the Sox anymore, IMO. (I really like Getz too. He going to be very good.)

TDog
09-16-2009, 06:26 PM
He's on a hot streak right now. Same old story for Juan, goes on an absolute tear at times and then can't hit a damn thing for three weeks. ...

True, but if the Giants win the wild card, it will be in large part because of 0o-ribe's current hot streak. But just as Albert Belle had a monster finish to his 1998 season after the White Sox were out of it, a lot of guys put up huge numbers when it doesn't really matter.

It isn't that Uribe would be a nice pickup after the season. He wouldn't be, not for the White Sox anyway. But you can't criticize a player who is carrying a team offensively late in the season when they are fighting to stay in contention.

Uribe was in the right place at the right time for the White Sox in 2005. His defense willed the White Sox to a 1-0 win in Game 4 after Dye drove in Harris with the only run of the game. The Astros' half of the eighth ended with a great play by Uribe. After the Astros squandered one of their last three outs of the season in the ninth with a sacrifice, Uribe made two great plays on defense to end it.

This season Uribe could be in the right place at the right time for the Giants.

BleacherBandit
09-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Look at my signature.

Let's give him a chance at the utility role!

DumpJerry
09-16-2009, 08:31 PM
I got tired of Uribe swinging at anything that was less than five feet over his head.

soxfanreggie
09-16-2009, 08:34 PM
He's great for the super-sub/infield utility role, but I don't want him in the starting line-up for us. He can be too streaky.

I am glad he's doing well with the Giants. I wish him the most success, as long as he's not playing us.

samurai_sox
09-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Thats what happens when a player gets away from Greg Walker.

mantis1212
09-24-2009, 02:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=Atyi13ZRP05QladFP9TeU.QRvLYF?gid=290923 129&prov=ap

Juan's still kicking!

Looks like he's still a fun player to watch- I'm pulling for the Giants now

GoSox2K3
09-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Uribe, Vazquez, Swisher.....you gotta love it how the main players that KW dumped in the off season are no longer "underperforming" on their new teams.

It makes me wonder what it is about the Sox organization/clubhouse that all these players make such improvements after they go elsewhere.

Williams has a lot of nerve to put all the blame on the players for this year when his idea of success was to replace Uribe with Fields, Swisher with Wise, and Vazquez with Colon.

chisox616
09-24-2009, 03:47 PM
I think everyone and their mother expected Javy to improve--closer to home, NL instead of AL, and a team that was supposed to be out of contention and still kind of is. I was devastated when I couldn't grab him quick enough in my fantasy draft.

Uribe is surprising, but he's fighting for a job and he knows it. He has to play above and beyond.

It was obvious Swish had an off year. From playing in Oakland for so long, though, Chicago is a huge change of scenary--weather, media, etc. Maybe he just needed that year in between, maybe he didn't get along with Ozzie. Either way, he isn't putting spectacular numbers and losing him was a salary dump anyways.

spawn
09-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Uribe, Vazquez, Swisher.....you gotta love it how the main players that KW dumped in the off season are no longer "underperforming" on their new teams.

It makes me wonder what it is about the Sox organization/clubhouse that all these players make such improvements after they go elsewhere.

Williams has a lot of nerve to put all the blame on the players for this year when his idea of success was to replace Uribe with Fields, Swisher with Wise, and Vazquez with Colon.
What I find amusing is that all 3 players listed are players a good number of posters here bitched, moaned, and complained about, and wanted them gone. Now all of a sudden, because these players have had some success elsewhere now all of a sudden wish they were back on the team. Uribe is an extremely streaky hitter playing for a contract. Vazquez was an innings eater that seemed to fold like a tent under pressure, and Swisher isn't exaclty putting up All-Star numbers now. It's funny how no one is bringing up the success that Pods and Freddy Garcia are having now that they are back with the Whtie Sox organization.

Also, Swisher wasn't replaced by Wise. Brian Anderson, who many viewed as deserving of the job in CF, was suppose to take that job out of ST and didn't. Last year, people were upset that Fields wasn't given the startnig job at third base, and has failed miserably. Colon, there is no excuse for.

jdm2662
09-24-2009, 04:10 PM
What I find amusing is that all 3 players listed are players a good number of posters here bitched, moaned, and complained about, and wanted them gone. Now all of a sudden, because these players have had some success elsewhere now all of a sudden wish they were back on the team. Uribe is an extremely streaky hitter playing for a contract. Vazquez was an innings eater that seemed to fold like a tent under pressure, and Swisher isn't exaclty putting up All-Star numbers now. It's funny how no one is bringing up the success that Pods and Freddy Garcia are having now that they are back with the Whtie Sox organization.

Also, Swisher wasn't replaced by Wise. Brian Anderson, who many viewed as deserving of the job in CF, was suppose to take that job out of ST and didn't. Last year, people were upset that Fields wasn't given the startnig job at third base, and has failed miserably. Colon, there is no excuse for.

You make too much sense Spawn. Well, you are a Cowboys fan, so no one is perfect. :redneck

voodoochile
09-24-2009, 04:17 PM

And again, some of that was financial and some was based on the desire to give young players a chance. In addition, Swisher hasn't played a single game in CF for the Yankees while amassing his better numbers and he really didn't have a position for the Sox to start the season other than CF.

I don't think you'll find many fans who were bemoaning the loss of those three players when they left last winter either. In fact the general consensus was "good riddance".

What about the guys who had their best seasons once they came to the Sox? Dye, Contreras, AJ, Iguchi, etc. If you are going to condemn the team for players who blossomed after leaving, then give credit for the guys who succeeded when they came here.

oeo
09-24-2009, 04:18 PM
I think everyone and their mother expected Javy to improve--closer to home, NL instead of AL, and a team that was supposed to be out of contention and still kind of is. I was devastated when I couldn't grab him quick enough in my fantasy draft.

Uribe is surprising, but he's fighting for a job and he knows it. He has to play above and beyond.

It was obvious Swish had an off year. From playing in Oakland for so long, though, Chicago is a huge change of scenary--weather, media, etc. Maybe he just needed that year in between, maybe he didn't get along with Ozzie. Either way, he isn't putting spectacular numbers and losing him was a salary dump anyways.

Two are having career years, the other (Swisher), was such a ****ing baby at the end of last year that it was nice to see him go. I knew he would rebound, but he's still a relatively unexciting player. His off field antics are more exciting than the way he plays baseball.

Huisj
09-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Just remember Uribe's September in 2005. Without him and Crede getting hot, the Sox could have been in real trouble.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?n1=uribeju01&t=b&year=2005&share=2.04#566-592-sum:batting_gamelogs

Go to the bottom and check out his numbers for the last month through the clincher against Detroit. Dang. .323/.354/.656!

spawn
09-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Just remember Uribe's September in 2005. Without him and Crede getting hot, the Sox could have been in real trouble.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?n1=uribeju01&t=b&year=2005&share=2.04#566-592-sum:batting_gamelogs

Go to the bottom and check out his numbers for the last month through the clincher against Detroit. Dang. .323/.354/.656!
What did he do from '06 through '08?

One more thing: Fields was technically replacing Crede. uribe was riding the bench until Crede had the back issues that ended his season.

GAsoxfan
09-25-2009, 11:03 AM
While I'm happy to see Juan doing well in SF, 2009 will probably be a career year for Uribe rather than the norm. A lot of his numbers (including BB rate and K rate) are pretty close to his career numbers, but his BABIP is .336. That's quite a bit higher than the league average and the highest for Juan since his rookie year in 2001. Once that number returns to the norm, his BA and OBP will return to his career numbers as well (.257/.299).

Even though he's performing well this year, bringing Juan back as anything more than a back-up IF is a bad idea.

TDog
09-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Thats what happens when a player gets away from Greg Walker.

If Uribe is hitting better because he has a better hitting coach, Aaron Rowand hasn't received the memo.

Uribe had one great offensive season with the White Sox, and his defense was a big part of the reason the Sox were so good for six months of 2005 (there being a month late in the season where the Sox were down before winning 16 of 17 at the end of September and through October). Up until recently, Oo-ribe hasn't been a big contributor to the Giants. His error, in fact, cost Jonathan Sanchez a perfect game.

As for Nick Swisher, he is benefiting from being in a big-time offensive lineup. If he were putting up the same numbers in the White Sox lineup -- especially striking out almost once for every three at bats -- he wouldn't be having a very good season at all.

Nellie_Fox
09-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Thats what happens when a player gets away from Greg Walker.Yeah, that's why the Giants are such an offensive juggernaut.

Huisj
09-25-2009, 03:24 PM
What did he do from '06 through '08?

Everyone knows what he did from '06 to '08. He swung at every pitch thrown and popped out high to left center field 634,092 times while landing on his back knee during his follow-through.

I was just pointing out how similar him coming alive and helping to carry SF right now is to what he did in '05, and it brought back great memories of watching him mash the ball all over the park for that wonderful little while.