PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Harwell to say "Thanks" during tonight's game

Oblong
09-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Tonight during the 3rd inning, Ernie Harwell will address the crowd to say "Thanks" for the support over the years/decades. It could very well be his final public appearance. I'm seriously getting misty eyed just thinking about it. I'm glad I have tickets, I fully expect to be bawling. It's going to be a very special moment.

Here's an absolute tear jerker where sports writer Tom Gage says "Thanks" to Ernie.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090916/OPINION03/909160335/Thank-you--too--Ernie

Paulwny
09-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks for posting the article.

Woofer
09-16-2009, 01:42 PM
What a great article. It's great that he is still well enough to come and see his team and friends again. HE truely seems like a class act. I wish him the best of luck.

KenBerryGrab
09-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Ernie is the best in the business. I'm sure he'll be all understated class, and there won't be a dry eye in the park.

kaufsox
09-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I lived in Michigan for four years and while I never became a fan of the Tigers, I became a HUGE fan of Ernie Harwell. Easily the best broadcaster I ever heard.

Viva Medias B's
09-16-2009, 03:44 PM
This reminds me of what the University of Michigan did with Bob Ufer when he was terminally ill. Ufer was the Wolverines' football play-by-play voice, and he made his final apperance in the Michigan broadcast booth leading the Big House in cheers for the Maize and Blue.

In Ernie's case, I bet that he'll still be well enough to attend playoff games at Commerca Park should they take place. And I think tears is the last thing Ernie would want tonight.

spawn
09-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Great article. Thanks for posting that Oblong.

FloridaTigers
09-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Its gonna be pretty emotional. I only wish I had access to the games when Ernie was still broadcasting. I've only heard him when he steps in for an inning or two here and there and when he substituted for Rod Allen a couple of games.

roylestillman
09-16-2009, 07:42 PM
It was a very nice goodbye from Ernie. Nothing maudlin, just a thank you with a smile on his face from beginning to end. Honestly if I look as good as he did tonight at 91, I would say I was dealt a pretty good hand.

Oblong
09-18-2009, 10:49 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4479674

There's the video if interested. Happened during the middle of the 3rd inning. I'm not responsible for any tears that you shed.

The line that got me was "And the blessed part about that journey is that it's going to end in the great state of Michigan."

In the clip they show a Royals coach taking video/pictures. That's Rusty Kuntz who played for the Tigers in the 80's. He had the GWRBI (back when it was a real stat) in the 84 series clincher.