PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-15 Sox Battery Batters Seahawks Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
09-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Whatever. We're still in this.

SephClone89
09-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Bobby's looking pretty fit right now. Has lost at least thirty pounds, I think.

Gavin
I'm 25 and it's 12:12 AM and I'm getting too old for this ****.

oeo
Terrible thread title. Freddy was good even with bad stuff, tons of 2 out clutch hitting.

gobears1987
09-16-2009, 01:14 AM
Just when I changed my sig and gave up hope, this team gave me hope!

BoysMom3
09-16-2009, 01:15 AM
It's a win!

KnightSox
09-16-2009, 01:15 AM
A little too interesting at the end, but I'll take it.

BleacherBandit
09-16-2009, 01:16 AM
I've given up on the season, but I like what I'm seeing from the majority of the team. Getz and Beckham should be really good next season with this experience and spring training.

voodoochile
09-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Terrible thread title. Freddy was good even with bad stuff, tons of 2 out clutch hitting.

I agree.

What a clutch night for AJ. Freddy keeps on rolling. Beckham goes to his right not once but twice to snag hard hit baseballs. Might not be great, but we're not dead yet...

:soxwin:

:)

Frankfan4life
09-16-2009, 01:18 AM
We won a game when it really counted. AJ's at-bat was gutsy. This is a guy who tries to do whatever it takes to win. Freddy did a masterful job keeping the game within reach. Let's get another win tomorrow!

hawkjt
09-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Must win tomorrow and Thursday...Detroit is starting to look frazzled even with all their comeback wins. Washburn was taken out after an inning tonite with an injured knee. Verlander should have been beaten last nite. The last three weeks could be when starting pitching allows for a run..altho the Sox do need to hit to have a shot. Tonite was a start.
17 games to go, over 10% of the season...lets giv'em a finish,Sox!

Nellie_Fox
09-16-2009, 01:19 AM
I must have been hallucinating, because I could have sworn that I saw AJ drive in the critical runs. I have been assured that he sucks at driving in big runs, in fact in driving in runs at all.

GoGoCrede
09-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Don't Stop Believing is a trending topic on Twitter. :D: I choose to believe it's because of the Sox.

guillensdisciple
09-16-2009, 01:21 AM
5.5 games back with the possibility of knocking the Twins and the Tigers out of the race, while they try to knock each other out- hmmmm, maybe the light will shine on the White Sox- maybe!

GlassSox
09-16-2009, 01:22 AM

I am almost 60 and wataching this game I was not sure that I would make it to 61 in October.

JB98
09-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Garcia is pitching himself into the plans for 2010. That's five consecutive quality starts. He's been giving the Sox six innings and a chance to win the game every time out. That's what you need from a No. 5 starter.

GoGoCrede
09-16-2009, 01:23 AM

This 21-year-old girl was ready for bed in the 6th. :smile: Viva my youth!

Lip Man 1
09-16-2009, 01:24 AM
10 wins to a winning season.

Lip

GlassSox
09-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Garcia is pitching himself into the plans for 2010. That's five consecutive quality starts. He's been giving the Sox six innings and a chance to win the game every time out. That's what you need from a No. 5 starter.

A solid outing by Garcia and some offense to shore up a win.

Zisk77
09-16-2009, 01:30 AM
Is it just me or is bacon looking like a future Gold glover at 3b....Hey lets move him to SS.

BadBobbyJenks
09-16-2009, 01:31 AM
This is what happens when a Thornado and Podseidon roll through.

slavko
09-16-2009, 01:34 AM
A little too interesting at the end, but I'll take it.

I was hoping Lopez, a big bopper with a .308 OBP would help out Bobby and he did on strike 3. More excitement than a season of Bears games in a ballgame at the end of an almost lost season. Shows where my heart is.

Noneck
09-16-2009, 01:40 AM
More excitement than a season of Bears games in a ballgame at the end of an almost lost season. Shows where my heart is.

Of course its the Greatest sport in the world.

GoGoCrede
09-16-2009, 01:41 AM
Of course its the Greatest sport in the world.

Excuse you, what about curling? :D:

ode to veeck
09-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Gavin doesn't care about his Safeco 7+ ERA.

He's gonna kick ass tomorrow against another pitcher the White Sox really haven't seen

Noneck
09-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Excuse you, what about curling? :D:

Nah, I lost my hair a long time ago.

BadBobbyJenks
09-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Wow I just saw the AJ fake punch on Griffey, what a goofball.

ode to veeck
09-16-2009, 01:45 AM
I must have been hallucinating, because I could have sworn that I saw AJ drive in the critical runs. I have been assured that he sucks at driving in big runs, in fact in driving in runs at all.

I was gonna start another thread about that very fact that he just flat out sucks w/ RISP but I am too tired after that great win so I'll go to bed instead.

TDog
09-16-2009, 01:47 AM
If any game illustrates the problems with sacrifice bunts, it was this one, although I don't think any of the sacrifice attempts came with the score tied or the batting team ahead. It is an especially low-percentage play to sacrifice when you are losing.

I wasn't surprised to see Podsednik sacrifice, but I was disappointed. I was more disappointed when I saw him bunting foul his next time up, putting him at a disadvantage with the pitcher before striking out. Fortunately, Pierzynski and Konerko came through with two-out hitting.

I was more puzzled with the Mariners sacrificing in the seventh when they were down by two. As usual, the wasted out was one of the factors in the Mariners not scoring.

Ramirez had a good night batting ninth. Beckham apparently had a good night defensively. Kotsay had a huge two-run double, and should have scored the tying run from third with one out. Unfortunately, the only good situational hitters on this team right now seem to be Ramirez and Kotsay.

I won't complain about a win, though. The pitching did its job.

I just wonder why Guillen, who so often complains about hitters not hitting with runners in scoring position, gives up outs to put runners in scoring position when the Sox are losing.

ode to veeck
09-16-2009, 01:47 AM

But who is Bacon?! ... and also who was that new guy at 3rd on D tonight? made me forget Joe Crede (well not really, but you get the idea)

BoysMom3
09-16-2009, 01:59 AM
this is what happens when a thornado and podseidon roll through.

excuse you, what about curling? :d:

lol!!!!

Danielgosox38
09-16-2009, 02:22 AM

I didn't get a chance to see game, cause of work. What was this about?

jcw218
09-16-2009, 03:27 AM
I didn't get a chance to see game, cause of work. What was this about?

Bottom of the 6th or 7th, not sure which, maybe even 7th, AJ goes over near the Mariners dugout to try and catch a foul ball that lands in the seats. Griffey was standing by the railing of the dugout and AJ jokingly acts like he's going to punch Griffey in the gut.

TheBigHurtST
09-16-2009, 04:36 AM
I can't believe I'm actually not angry when I think of the possibility of Freddy staying in the rotation next year. Who knows?

jabrch
09-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Who would have thought Williams would have successes in scrap heap pickups like Garcia and Pods?

It's just a shame we didn't have both of those guys (performing at this level) from opening day. We very well might be 5 up, not 5 down.

Zisk77
09-16-2009, 08:17 AM
If any game illustrates the problems with sacrifice bunts, it was this one, although I don't think any of the sacrifice attempts came with the score tied or the batting team ahead. It is an especially low-percentage play to sacrifice when you are losing.

I wasn't surprised to see Podsednik sacrifice, but I was disappointed. I was more disappointed when I saw him bunting foul his next time up, putting him at a disadvantage with the pitcher before striking out. Fortunately, Pierzynski and Konerko came through with two-out hitting.

I was more puzzled with the Mariners sacrificing in the seventh when they were down by two. As usual, the wasted out was one of the factors in the Mariners not scoring.

Ramirez had a good night batting ninth. Beckham apparently had a good night defensively. Kotsay had a huge two-run double, and should have scored the tying run from third with one out. Unfortunately, the only good situational hitters on this team right now seem to be Ramirez and Kotsay.

I won't complain about a win, though. The pitching did its job.

I just wonder why Guillen, who so often complains about hitters not hitting with runners in scoring position, gives up outs to put runners in scoring position when the Sox are losing.

i couldnt disagree more.

1. Pods first bunt attempt wasnt a sacrice attempt he was bunting for a hit and only a tremendous play by the Snell prevented a potentially huge inning from occuring. Of course the scorekeeper credited Pods with a sac because thats what they always do if a runner advances.

2. I think it was absolutely the right move for Pods to sac in the 7th inning. How many times this year have we gotten the 1st 2 runners abourd with no outs only to leave them their without even advancing them or erasing them with double plays? Unfortunately Pods didnt execute the sac. (Pods bunting tech is so much better when trying to get a hit then a sac) Had he succeeed we could have tied the gam on a groundout to the middle infield of a flyball to medium OF. Fortunately A.J. got a huge 2 out hit that we have not been getting lately (or ever in AJ case according to some).

3. If you have not noticed, The sox have not been good at having big innings when allowed to hit as we never can seem to string a bunch of hits in an inning and that dp grounder often rears its ugly head.

Dan H
09-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Is it just me or is bacon looking like a future Gold glover at 3b....Hey lets move him to SS.

But if Ramirez doesn't improve, you may need a shortstop. Both he and Quentin looked bad on that pop-up. Otherwise a good win, but I don' think the Sox have enough to jump over two teams.

SI1020
09-16-2009, 09:31 AM
But if Ramirez doesn't improve, you may need a shortstop. Both he and Quentin looked bad on that pop-up. Otherwise a good win, but I don' think the Sox have enough to jump over two teams. Yes we had yet another Keystone Kops moment in the field. There are going to have to be significant improvements defensively next year or the high hopes that most seem to have will be dashed. That ugly play aside it was a nice win. I loved the way AJ just wouldn't do down in that AB.

twsoxfan5
09-16-2009, 09:40 AM

Agreed on both the game and the thread title being brutal. I am still trying to figure out what it means.

voodoochile
09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Agreed on both the game and the thread title being brutal. I am still trying to figure out what it means.

It was a spur of the moment change after the initial one whined about the blown call in the 9th...

hawkjt
09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Bottom of the 6th or 7th, not sure which, maybe even 7th, AJ goes over near the Mariners dugout to try and catch a foul ball that lands in the seats. Griffey was standing by the railing of the dugout and AJ jokingly acts like he's going to punch Griffey in the gut.

It was such an intimate gathering at Safeco last nite that you could see everyone smiling and laughing in the stands at AJ's antics...hey, it is entertainment,right?

As for the sac bunts, yes, they were the right calls. Must get them out of the double play at all costs,so the rare hit with RISP is 2 rbi huge like Kotsays or AJ's.

As for the Alexei/Carlos debacle, Carlos does not seem to pick up the ball well at Safeco; he was sprinting in on some routine popups earlier. More of a communication deal than defensive skill deal. Alexei has been playing a very solid defensive SS the last month or so. If Carlos is going to move to right field next year, he needs to be 100% healthy so he is moving better,and work on his jumps on the ball off the bat,but I still think he can be passable out there.

ode to veeck
09-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Who would have thought Williams would have successes in scrap heap pickups like Garcia and Pods?

It's just a shame we didn't have both of those guys (performing at this level) from opening day. We very well might be 5 up, not 5 down.

I don't know that Freddie was the same guy earlier in the season. I really think he is only just now getting into playing shape again after his labrum surgery. That's a pretty serious surgery and it easily could take that long. Just look at the guys who never came back from it to be the same (like 1/2 our 2000 division winning staff).

ode to veeck
09-16-2009, 10:24 AM
But if Ramirez doesn't improve, you may need a shortstop. Both he and Quentin looked bad on that pop-up. Otherwise a good win, but I don' think the Sox have enough to jump over two teams.

I think that was really Carlos' play and he just lost the track of the ball and badly. The OF is in charge in that situation for a number of reasons and needs to back off make the call of who takes is early enough for the IF to finish the play.

While not as much as Gordon adeptly demonstrated last night, I think Alexi has improved steadily at SS. I think we still needs to work on range and how to play some balls (esp slow ones) but most importantly, he still really to improve his throws, which are still atrocious at times.

everafan
09-16-2009, 11:34 AM

I was in dreamland by then, but when Griffey came up to bat for the first time he jokingly hit AJ with his bat. I love that Junior loves AJ.

WhiteSox1989
09-16-2009, 12:06 PM
I was in dreamland by then, but when Griffey came up to bat for the first time he jokingly hit AJ with his bat. I love that Junior loves AJ.
Yeah. They have a clip of it on the Sox website.

TDog
09-16-2009, 02:43 PM
i couldnt disagree more.

1. Pods first bunt attempt wasnt a sacrice attempt he was bunting for a hit and only a tremendous play by the Snell prevented a potentially huge inning from occuring. Of course the scorekeeper credited Pods with a sac because thats what they always do if a runner advances.

2. I think it was absolutely the right move for Pods to sac in the 7th inning. How many times this year have we gotten the 1st 2 runners abourd with no outs only to leave them their without even advancing them or erasing them with double plays? Unfortunately Pods didnt execute the sac. (Pods bunting tech is so much better when trying to get a hit then a sac) Had he succeeed we could have tied the gam on a groundout to the middle infield of a flyball to medium OF. Fortunately A.J. got a huge 2 out hit that we have not been getting lately (or ever in AJ case according to some).

3. If you have not noticed, The sox have not been good at having big innings when allowed to hit as we never can seem to string a bunch of hits in an inning and that dp grounder often rears its ugly head.

If a player is bunting for a hit, the official scorer is not supposed to award a sacrifice according to rule 10.08(a). The White Sox were losing. A sacrifice was a stupid play. If Podsednik was bunting for a hit and the scorer chose to award a sacrifice to avoid a confrontation with Podsednik, I stand corrected.

You might complain about the Sox not advancing runners from first and second to start an inning, but people complain more around here about runners left in scoring position. When you get the first two men on base in an inning, you have a runner in scoring position. You don't need to give up an out. If you are stying out of the doubleplay by giving up an out, the next hitter making an out gets you to the two outs you were trying to avoid.

Every out decreases your chances of scoring. Teams more frequently score with men on first and second with none out than they do with men on second and third with one out. As it was, clutch two-out runs won the game for the White Sox, but neither team was successful with a man on third and one out in last night's game.

pudge
09-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Does anyone know if Lillibridge has some ties to the area? There was a "fan club" that swarmed him by the dugout after the game last night, it was pretty comical.

Brewski
09-16-2009, 04:51 PM

Griff looks in shape, much better than he was last year. Jenks has lost a few pounds too. Cant't hurt. Last night noticed Mike Cameron with Milw. is a much bigger guy than he was here 10 years ago. He was a roider, right?

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2009, 05:14 PM
This 21-year-old girl was ready for bed in the 6th. :smile: Viva my youth!
This 27-year-old girl was ready for bed before the game even started. :tongue:
I love that nickname!

That was a much-needed win! Let's get them again tonight and hope KC can help us out for the fifth time in the past just over a week.