PDA

View Full Version : Safeco Field trip advice?

areilly
09-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Hey everyone. I'll be heading to Seattle later this week and plan on attending Thursday's Sox/M's game. Any WSIers, either from geographic proximity or previous trips, have any input on what to check out in or near Safeco?

Also, what's their stance on wandering around the stadium - do they have the upper/lower deck restrictions like USCF, or (no, I'm too old to sneak into better seats) can I walk about taking pictures/getting food wherever I'd like?

Thanks.

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2009, 08:22 PM
I'd suggest going on the Underground Tour (http://www.undergroundtour.com/). It's literally a few blocks north of the ballpark. There are many great restaurants in that neighborhood as well. Take your camera, because Pioneer Square is such a cute neighborhood.

goofymsfan
09-16-2009, 04:27 AM
Hey everyone. I'll be heading to Seattle later this week and plan on attending Thursday's Sox/M's game. Any WSIers, either from geographic proximity or previous trips, have any input on what to check out in or near Safeco?

Also, what's their stance on wandering around the stadium - do they have the upper/lower deck restrictions like USCF, or (no, I'm too old to sneak into better seats) can I walk about taking pictures/getting food wherever I'd like?

Thanks.

One thing that is nice about Safeco Field is that it is very fan Friendly. During batting practice you can go down by the dugouts to try and get autographs, (only the Diamond club-Seats directly behind homeplate-are off limits). You can walk around the entire main concourse without missing the game (minus the small area where the batter's eye is).

I am always on the lower level out in Centerfield near the M's bullpen during the game. It's a great vantage point to watch the game from. Sometimes there is a pre-game party, but once the catering is taken down the fences are removed and anyone can come stand and enjoy the game from there.

Another cool place to check out is the Bullpen Pub, same level as the bullpens. The front row looks directly into Left Field and is just below the hand operated score board. Also there are holes in the wall where you can look into the Visiting bullpen when the pitchers are warming up and have a catchers view of the pitches.

If you have a Nintendo DS, bring it to the game. Safeco has the Nintendo Fan Network that has some super cool features and is absolutely free to download. You can check in on other games in progress, get live video feed, closed captioning of the radio broadcast, pitch tracker and many other things. It also has a messanger where you can send canned messages to other users unless you exchange user ID's and NFN numbers then you get a qwerty keyboard to send actually messages with. If you don't have a DS, have no fear, you can rent them for free at the stadium, you just need to have a major credit card so in case you fail to return it after the game they have a way to get the money for the DS. Pat, the usual NFN staff person is very helpful if you have any questions once you are signed in to the network. I'm on there as Goof.

If you have more specific questions about the stadium, feel free to send me a PM and I'll get back to you ASAP. I'm a full season ticket holder at Safeco and can answer questions if you have them about the stadium.

kbriley
09-16-2009, 10:53 AM
If it is sunny you could try an Argosy cruise around the sound. They leave from downtown.

doublem23
09-16-2009, 11:53 AM
:KW
Don't jaywalk.

Bruizer
09-16-2009, 10:49 PM
We were there for a game last month against the Sox. If you drive, there is a parking deck just south of the field. I think it was $20. Traffic flow in and out of the area is pretty bad.

Beer, I think, was $7. Stay away from the garlic fries - our section smelled like garlic the whole game even though we didn't have any.

There were no upper/lower deck restrictions that I recall. It's a beautiful stadium! Much nicer than the Kingdome I used to go to when I was a kid.

Have fun!

Bru

DumpJerry
09-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Bring home a White Sox winner, ok?