Frank Thomas
Jeff Liefer
Carlos Lee
Manos
Rowand
Mark Johnson and of course...
The Choice.
That is 7
We really only have 2 batters hitting .300 or above-Konerko and Ordonez, and we both know they havent gotten a hit since Memorial Day. Graff doesnt count, only 97 at bats.

Ask yourself-Do you have confidence in ANY hitter right now? ANYBODY? So how much confidence can they have? Exactly.

And another great wonder of the world-Why doesn't Frank go back to the open stance?? If I came 2nd in the MVP voting hitting with an open stance, I would keep the open stance the next time I played. Call me crazy.

Tragg
06-08-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Batters under .260-
Frank Thomas
Jeff Liefer
Carlos Lee
Manos
Rowand
The Choice.
That is 7

Scratch Frank Thomas from your list - although his average isn't good, his obp is still > .350, which on this team is top tier. Add the unhandy sandy alomar to your list - he has walked a grand total of twice all year, giving him an obp of a paltry .305, despite a batting average of .292 (that's almost impossible to accomplish - but alomar somehow has done the impossible).
Rowand and Liefer have given us pretty much nothing off of the bench - that has hurt a lot. This is where one usually sends those two down and calls up two replacements - I guess our farm system is thin (which it has been in non-pitchers for a while).
Konerko has had a nice year - but he, too needs to learn some patience and get that OBP up.
Seems like the only time the Sox show patience is with 2 strikes and a ball right down the pipe.

kevingrt
06-08-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Batters under .260-
Frank Thomas
Jeff Liefer
Carlos Lee
Manos
Rowand
The Choice.
That is 7
We really only have 2 batters hitting .300 or above-Konerko and Ordonez, and we both know they havent gotten a hit since Memorial Day. Graff doesnt count, only 97 at bats.

Ask yourself-Do you have confidence in ANY hitter right now? ANYBODY? So how much confidence can they have? Exactly.

And another great wonder of the world-Why doesn't Frank go back to the open stance?? If I came 2nd in the MVP voting hitting with an open stance, I would keep the open stance the next time I played. Call me crazy.

I know your trying to be as pesstimistic as possible, but Rowand and Liefer have had less then 97 @ bats so you can't put them below .270 if you can't put Graffy above .300. And I 2nd Tragg on the Thomas statement, being on base .350 is really good!

Tragg
06-08-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt

Rowand and Liefer have had less then 97 @ bats so you can't put them below .270 if you can't put Graffy above .300. And I 2nd Tragg on the Thomas statement, being on base .350 is really good!

You're right that Liefer and Rowand haven't had that many at bats. However, as young bench players, that's part of the package - you either perform in your opportunities, or you get more opportunities in AAA. Maybe they are out of options - I'm not sure. But if there are any alternatives, I'd bring them up. I don't think that Graff is really a major league regular quality player - but he has produced with his opportunities.

Frank's .350 opb is good for this team - I think what worries us is that it isn't good for Frank Thomas (he's a .450 obp player) and he simply looks off at the plate. Still hard for me to criticize him.