PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Abreu

PorkChopExpress
09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, but I feel like we missed the boat on this guy. That being said, is he worth pursuing in the offseason? He is going to be 36 next year, but he's still batting .300 this year with a .400 OBP, has stolen 28 bases so far with 13 HR.

Plus, there is a nice article on mlb.com creditting him with the young Angels batters' patience at the plate. I would love for someone to come in here and help some of our young batters in the same fashion.

Also, if he comes in here, as steady of a hitter as he has been over his career, and all of a sudden can't hit pitchers he hasn't seen before or becomes prone to lengthy slumps, that may be evidence that the problems we have been seeing over the past few years does indeed lie with our coaching staff.

mantis1212
09-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, but I feel like we missed the boat on this guy. That being said, is he worth pursuing in the offseason? He is going to be 36 next year, but he's still batting .300 this year with a .400 OBP, has stolen 28 bases so far with 13 HR.

Plus, there is a nice article on mlb.com creditting him with the young Angels batters' patience at the plate. I would love for someone to come in here and help some of our young batters in the same fashion.

Also, if he comes in here, as steady of a hitter as he has been over his career, and all of a sudden can't hit pitchers he hasn't seen before or becomes prone to lengthy slumps, that may be evidence that the problems we have been seeing over the past few years does indeed lie with our coaching staff.

Everybody missed the boat, except the Angels.

I swear I remember rumors that the Sox offered him a one-year, $8MM contract and that everyone thought it was insulting. And then two weeks later he signs a one-year $5MM deal with the Angels. Maybe he just has a bad agent, but that was a steal at the time, and it's a steal now.

oeo
09-14-2009, 03:33 PM

The Sox were going to pursue him if they could unload Dye. They couldn't get a deal done, though. Edwin Jackson in the rotation and Abreu in RF would have worked out pretty well.

Zisk77
09-14-2009, 04:35 PM
No, Edwin Jackson & Matt Holiday are garbage. The baseball accountants on WSI told me that. they are trending down. :scratch:

Zisk77
09-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I was initially of the mind to re-sign Dye as a DH. Now that he has been slumping for so long, i think it may be better to try to sign both Figgins and Abreu or Figgins and Godzilla and make TCQ a DH to help avoid injuries.

Chez
09-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Adding Peavy and Rios reduced our payroll flexibility for 2010 -- regardless of what the Sox decide to do with Dye. I don't see us making a serious run at Figgins and I'd rather get younger and more athletic in rightfield/dh. Though Abreau was a good deal for LAA this season, I'd pass on him for 2010.

kittle42
09-14-2009, 04:59 PM
No, Edwin Jackson & Matt Holiday are garbage. The baseball accountants on WSI told me that. they are trending down. :scratch:

Isn't everyone performing well trending down according to WSI?

Lip Man 1
09-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Holliday's agent is Scott Boras, the Sox weren't going to deal with him even for only a few months and they certainly won't even consider him next season.

Lip

kittle42
09-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Holliday's agent is Scott Boras, the Sox weren't going to deal with him even for only a few months and they certainly won't even consider him next season.

Yup, and it's a shame. He's the kind of player the Sox could use, despite his somewhat lackluster Oakland numbers this season.

Craig Grebeck
09-14-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't care much for Edwin Jackson. I expect some pretty hefty regression next season.

oeo
09-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Yup, and it's a shame. He's the kind of player the Sox could use, despite his somewhat lackluster Oakland numbers this season.

We need a left-handed bat. Besides, that type of player is already in LF for the Sox. Of course he needs to be healthy.

soxinem1
09-14-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't care much for Edwin Jackson. I expect some pretty hefty regression next season.

That makes two of us. Just like Jason Marquis, let's see him duplicate this again before we measure him for his HOF portrait.

g0g0
09-15-2009, 08:48 AM
I want to see some of the younger guys develop rather than sign short-term plugs in the line-up. Hopefully the Sox scouts are finding some gems out there!

veeter
09-15-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't care much for Edwin Jackson. I expect some pretty hefty regression next season.Another Carmona from Cleveland.

hawkjt
09-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Abreu is like a machine...10 straight years of 100 rbis? Get out.
Always over .400 oba. Steals bases,does not get caught.
I hope the Sox make him a priority. He would solve the hole in right field when JD goes away in the offseason, solve the lack of lefty,help with oba.,and high average hitter,run producer...I do not care if he will be 36, this guy looks like he can play at least a couple more years. The Sox are going for it the next 3 years,and have mixed in plenty of youth in Alexei,Carlos,Getz,Nix,Beckham,Danks and Floyd the last few years so, they could use a pro hitter.
Kenny, go out and sign Bobby Abreu to a 3 year 15 million dollar deal,and find some bullpen help and win the division the next couple of years.

Zisk77
09-15-2009, 12:17 PM

I know you don't. He is still a young guy that always had tremendous stuff but struggled with command. Well it appears he has figured it that out with some experience and changes in scenary over the last 2 years. io think he will continue to be a solid pitcher.

I can see where some people would conclude that he will return to career norms based on his early dodger and TB days. However, he has learned to pitch and I suspect he may even get better if he remains healthy. This happens quite often with young players.

Zisk77
09-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Another Carmona from Cleveland.

Fausto has also suffered some pretty significant injuries.

Sockinchisox
09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Sign me up for Abreu, perfect DH for us next year.

oeo
09-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Abreu is like a machine...10 straight years of 100 rbis? Get out.
Always over .400 oba. Steals bases,does not get caught.
I hope the Sox make him a priority. He would solve the hole in right field when JD goes away in the offseason, solve the lack of lefty,help with oba.,and high average hitter,run producer...I do not care if he will be 36, this guy looks like he can play at least a couple more years. The Sox are going for it the next 3 years,and have mixed in plenty of youth in Alexei,Carlos,Getz,Nix,Beckham,Danks and Floyd the last few years so, they could use a pro hitter.
Kenny, go out and sign Bobby Abreu to a 3 year 15 million dollar deal,and find some bullpen help and win the division the next couple of years.

He's a terrible outfielder these days. The two screw ups on Saturday are a common occurrence the last few years.

oeo
09-15-2009, 02:24 PM
That makes two of us. Just like Jason Marquis, let's see him duplicate this again before we measure him for his HOF portrait.

Jackson has already fell back to Earth in the second half. However, he would have been better to have in the rotation than Contreras and Colon.

Paulwny
09-15-2009, 02:29 PM
He's a terrible outfielder these days. The two screw ups on Saturday are a common occurrence the last few years.

Yep, over the last few yrs, he's been showing that he has DH in his future.

soxfanreggie
09-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I want to see some of the younger guys develop rather than sign short-term plugs in the line-up. Hopefully the Sox scouts are finding some gems out there!

What the short-term plug can allow you to do is have a "stop-gap" for a year until someone is ready. That way (for example) you don't sign a guy to come in for 4 years if you think that Danks or Mitchell would be ready to start in the OF in a year (and be a much cheaper, younger option).

Hitmen77
09-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Are the Angels not expected to bring Abreu back? Given their deep pockets, I figure that they can easily afford to keep him if they want him.

tick53
09-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Abreu sucks in the outfield and he's getting old. I want to see young players out there. Enough of these has-beens. If the Sox do sign him, all the Bobby Abreu lovers will sooner or later wish they hadn't.

Sargeant79
09-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Abreu sucks in the outfield and he's getting old. I want to see young players out there. Enough of these has-beens. If the Sox do sign him, all the Bobby Abreu lovers will sooner or later wish they hadn't.

Agreed. Abreu would make a fine DH, but I wouldn't want to see him in our outfield, nor would I want to see him for anything more than a one or two year deal. He is getting up there in years, and I'm far more wary of aging veterans coming up to their big drop off in the post-steroids era.

ewokpelts
09-17-2009, 12:05 PM
pass.
contract year and he was forced to take a smaller deal due to the recession. he's proving that la got him on a discount, adn he wants to get paid this year.

2010 he'll revert to the same crappy hitter he has been since the 2005 home run derby.

Sargeant79
09-17-2009, 12:20 PM
pass.
contract year and he was forced to take a smaller deal due to the recession. he's proving that la got him on a discount, adn he wants to get paid this year.

2010 he'll revert to the same crappy hitter he has been since the 2005 home run derby.

He may very well drop off in 2010, but his numbers have actually been good and very similar since 2005...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/abreubo01.shtml

PalehosePlanet
09-17-2009, 03:12 PM
If we're going after a free agent I'd rather spend the money on a one year deal with the oft injured but very talented Erik Bedard. I'd imagine that he would get a two year deal at the most, given his recent injuries.