PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro Appreciation Thread

g0g0
09-14-2009, 09:13 AM
I saw one for Jeter, but not one for Ichiro so I thought I'd start one. Amazing that the guy has had 200+ hits in each of his 9 years breaking a 100 year old record. Solid, solid solid player. Grats Ichiro!

GoGoCrede
09-14-2009, 09:18 AM
God, I love him. One of the best ever.

I love this quote regarding Junior. They seem very close.

"He was already a star when I was a student in Japan," Ichiro said. "Ever since then, he's always been my favorite player. To be able to play on the ballfield with that guy is something that makes me very happy. It's actually a dream come true for me. I don't think there's anybody else in Major League Baseball that plays with as much grace and beauty as he does."

Marqhead
09-14-2009, 09:34 AM
http://deadspin.com/5292752/griffey-tickles-ichiros-fancy-armpits

The guy is simply amazing. I'd love to have him on my team. I'm not sure how much longer he'll play as he has shown few signs of slowing down, but if he retired today he'd make the hall.

PaleHoser
09-14-2009, 10:48 AM
He is an outstanding hitter, but I really enjoy watching him throw. I don't think he has an arm. It's a laser guided missile launcher in disguise.

He's worthy of the HoF IMO.

goofymsfan
09-14-2009, 11:23 AM
It's a treat to be able to watch him play day in and day out year after year. I've been spoiled because I've had my season tickets for the M's since he joined the M's in 2001.

g0g0
09-14-2009, 12:00 PM
It's a treat to be able to watch him play day in and day out year after year. I've been spoiled because I've had my season tickets for the M's since he joined the M's in 2001.

Ya, that must be great stuff to watch!

kaufsox
09-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Love to watch him play, always make it a point to see him when he comes to town. I must admit, I wish I could witness just one of his pre All-Star Game "pep" talk.

Madvora
09-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I barely get to see him play, but he's definitely my favorite player ever. I don't really have any interest in watching another team, so it kills me that a guy like this is not on the Sox.

areilly
09-14-2009, 05:51 PM
I barely get to see him play, but he's definitely my favorite player ever. I don't really have any interest in watching another team, so it kills me that a guy like this is not on the Sox.

Don't take it too hard: fans of 28 other teams can say the same thing.

Madvora
09-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Don't take it too hard: fans of 28 other teams can say the same thing.
I know. I'd love to watch him just for the pure love of baseball itself and how he plays the game, but I really can't sit there and watch Mariners games everyday. I want to have the best of both worlds.

PKalltheway
09-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Congrats to Ichiro, a sure fire Hall of Famer IMHO. When it's all said and done, his combined hit total from Japan and MLB might surpass Pete Rose.

southside rocks
09-15-2009, 08:51 AM
His work ethic and his accomplishments are phenomenal. Congrats to Ichiro.

decolores9628
09-16-2009, 03:56 AM
http://deadspin.com/5292752/griffey-tickles-ichiros-fancy-armpits

The guy is simply amazing. I'd love to have him on my team. I'm not sure how much longer he'll play as he has shown few signs of slowing down, but if he retired today he'd make the hall.

Not trying to be harsh, but what signs of slowing down do you see? I'm quite curious.

Marqhead
09-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Not trying to be harsh, but what signs of slowing down do you see? I'm quite curious.

You know, now that I look at his numbers I'm not really sure where I got that from. He's been rock solid his entire career.

From memory it seems as though he's had some prolonged slumps the last couple seasons that he didn't have before that. Last year he put up the lowest OPS of his career, but he has rebounded nicely to this point.

I think if he sticks around another five years he'll get to 3,000. He also seems like a guy who would play into his 40s.