PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9/13/09 Hunter kills Sox, can we stop believing now?

guillensdisciple
09-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Um, yay?

Brian26
09-13-2009, 05:07 PM
6.0 again.

Dirty30
09-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Jermaine with another solid game.

October26
And back to third place in the Central division :whiner:

Pear-Zin-Ski
It's Sunday and we scored less than 4 runs. That's like a 2.5% chance of winning.

Danielgosox38
09-13-2009, 05:11 PM
And I let them suck me back in... Again.. Shame on me.

WhiteSox1989
09-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I will never stop believing...

Dibbs
09-13-2009, 05:16 PM
So, when is Peavy pitching?

Noneck
09-13-2009, 05:21 PM
So, when is Peavy pitching?

When they get home, to get some walkups.

Dan H
09-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Dye looked clueless in the fifth. It is time to stop believing. This team has no offense. Hasn't had an offense all year. No reason to think that anything will change at this point.

GoGoCrede
09-13-2009, 05:22 PM
I will never stop believing...

Same. I guess I'm just a small town girl. HIYO.

Corlose 15
09-13-2009, 05:23 PM
When they get home, to get some walkups.

Or, you know, to prove that he's healthy so they don't have to worry about it all offseason.

DumpJerry
09-13-2009, 05:24 PM
So.....we're behind the Perpetual Losers again? What does this make us?

Dick Allen
09-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Let's see,

- Sox lose, check
- Tigers and Twins win, check

Yep, it must be Sunday. :angry:

You know, we can talk all we want about how well our starting rotation is set up for next year, and that's certainly a reason for optimism. But if this crap with poor situational hitting, poor hitting with RISP, and constant baserunning blunders continues, then it's not going to make a damn bit of difference unless we pitch a lot of shutouts. In regulation innings in this series, the Sox scored 6 runs in the 3 games. That doesn't get it done.

BleacherBandit
09-13-2009, 05:29 PM
If Podsednik, Konerko, or Beckham aren't coming through with the clutch hitting, we're pretty much screwed.

WhiteSox5187
09-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Today we had three automatic outs in this lineup: Dye, Rios and Castro. You just can't win with that many outs in the line up.

DrCrawdad
09-13-2009, 05:33 PM
If the Tigers go .500 the rest of the season, they'd finish at 86-76. So for the Sox to over take them the Sox would have to go 16-2. I doubt the Tigers will go .500 and don't see the Sox going 16-2 either.

If the Tigers some how manage to go much worse than .500 & finish the season going 6-14. The Sox will have to go 12-6 to finish ahead of them. I don't see that happening with this years Sox team nor do I imagine the Tigers will self-destruct like that.

So while I still hope for a miracle, I'm resigned to their fate.

Thank you 2009 Chicago White Sox for refusing to make this season interesting.

Brian26
09-13-2009, 05:36 PM
This team has no offense. Hasn't had an offense all year.

Sox scored 17 runs against these Angels on May 25.

Brian26
09-13-2009, 05:37 PM
so.....we're behind the perpetual losers again? What does this make us?

lol

soxfanreggie
09-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Today we had three automatic outs in this lineup: Dye, Rios and Castro. You just can't win with that many outs in the line up.

At least one of those guys won't be back next year, possibly two if we find another back-up catcher. The one who will stay...hopefully he has a productive offseaon, as he would be up for one of the worst contracts we ever took on if he continues to play like this.

DrCrawdad
09-13-2009, 05:45 PM
At least one of those guys won't be back next year, possibly two if we find another back-up catcher. The one who will stay...hopefully he has a productive offseaon, as he would be up for one of the worst contracts we ever took on if he continues to play like this.

I wasn't concerned about the Rios acquisition when it was made. But Rios has me concerned now after watching him since he came over.

shingo10
09-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Very frustrating series.

But if we can gain 2 on Detroit again this week I'll be happy. Come on Sox, give us a fun series starting on the 25th.

sox1970
09-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Very frustrating series.

But if we can gain 2 on Detroit again this week I'll be happy. Come on Sox, give us a fun series starting on the 25th.

Make it 2.5. They play 7 games. Sox play 6.

Soxfanspcu11
09-13-2009, 06:06 PM
All I can say at this point is "Meh"

This team took me on way too many emotional rollercoasters this year back when their fate was still undetermined. So at this point, wins/losses, offense/defense (or lack of) and on and on really don't get me on much of a high or a low. It's just like Whatever :rolleyes:

TDog
09-13-2009, 06:30 PM
If the Tigers go .500 the rest of the season, they'd finish at 86-76. So for the Sox to over take them the Sox would have to go 16-2. I doubt the Tigers will go .500 and don't see the Sox going 16-2 either.

If the Tigers some how manage to go much worse than .500 & finish the season going 6-14. The Sox will have to go 12-6 to finish ahead of them. I don't see that happening with this years Sox team nor do I imagine the Tigers will self-destruct like that.

So while I still hope for a miracle, I'm resigned to their fate.

Thank you 2009 Chicago White Sox for refusing to make this season interesting.

If you weren't resigned to your fate, you probably wouldn't be a White Sox fan. How many times have they made the postseason since you began following them?

The 2006 Tigers, of course, lost their last five games and lost the Central to the Twins in what would be recognized as a historic collapse were it not for the wild card, which got the Tigers into the postseason where they got to the World Series, despite having no business in the the postseason.

It isn't a given the Tigers will finish the season above .500, let alone play .500 in their remaining games.

I think the White Sox would have a better lineup, though, if they had Kotsay starting in center and Wise starting in right.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2009, 06:43 PM
The starting pitchers have to be shaking their heads, I mean that's 13 games now where the Sox staff held an opponent to three runs or less...yet lost the game.

Same old, same old... Sunday "who cares" attitude, leave runners on base, make a mistake or two, can't score runs (58 games now with three or less), can't win on the road.

Three more weeks then we can all rest.

Lip

Big D
09-13-2009, 06:43 PM
If you weren't resigned to your fate, you probably wouldn't be a White Sox fan. How many times have they made the postseason since you began following them?

The 2006 Tigers, of course, lost their last five games and lost the Central to the Twins in what would be recognized as a historic collapse were it not for the wild card, which got the Tigers into the postseason where they got to the World Series, despite having no business in the the postseason.

It isn't a given the Tigers will finish the season above .500, let alone play .500 in their remaining games.

I think the White Sox would have a better lineup, though, if they had Kotsay starting in center and Wise starting in right.

At this point, any random minor leaguer would be an improvement over Rios. The Sox aren't going to catch Detroit if he doesn't start hitting, though, so I don't what else can be done with him other than putting him out there and hoping he gets out of his slump. Being 7 out in the loss column with 18 games left, they need everyone to start playing up to their potential simply to have a prayer. I mean, Rios can't possibly keep hitting .140, can he? Nobody is that bad.

Thatguyoverthere
09-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Why do the Sox suck on Sundays? This has been a trend for years now. :scratch:

Lip Man 1
09-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Don't know if they have been bad on Sundays "for years" (it would be worth checking) but maybe part of the reason this year is the number of spring training getaway day lineups, that Ozzie has uncorked or how many times the garbage back end of the rotation has drawn a Sunday assignment.

Lip

eastchicagosoxfan
09-13-2009, 07:22 PM
The starting pitchers have to be shaking their heads, I mean that's 13 games now where the Sox staff held an opponent to three runs or less...yet lost the game.

Same old, same old... Sunday "who cares" attitude, leave runners on base, make a mistake or two, can't score runs (58 games now with three or less), can't win on the road.

Three more weeks then we can all rest.

Lip
Lip, I like the cut of your jib.

soxfanreggie
09-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I wasn't concerned about the Rios acquisition when it was made. But Rios has me concerned now after watching him since he came over.

I think a lot of people were concerned when we acquired him just because of how he was doing this year before he came over and the massive size of his contract.

His play in CF doesn't concern me, but paying as much $$$ as we are to someone who's hitting .242 for the year and that's because he's hitting .140 for the Sox with a .156 OBP, 1 homer, 4 runs, and 3 RBI. I can deal without the HRs right now, but when you average 1 hit every 2 games, it deeply concerns me.

This seems like an abberation for his career so far, and I just hope he can end this year on a positive note and come back next year and hit around his career average of .280.

russ99
09-13-2009, 08:24 PM
How many times is it now the Sox could have gotten up to .500 and blown it?

Until the Sox break .500 by a few games, I won't take their chances seriously, no matter how bad the Tigers are playing or how many games we still have against them...

Hitmen77
09-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Hunter didn't kill the Sox. The Sox offense killed the Sox. ZERO runs after the first inning. Typical.

Why don't we give Tyler Flowers some at bats (at DH or starting C when AJ rests) at this point? Letting him start a game at DH can't be any worse than the way Dye has been playing.

At least Castro got a hit and he's not expected to be one of our big run producers. I'd like to see more of Flowers and Kotsay from here on out.

TDog
09-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Hunter didn't kill the Sox. The Sox offense killed the Sox. ZERO runs after the first inning. Typical.

Why don't we give Tyler Flowers some at bats (at DH or starting C when AJ rests) at this point? Letting him start a game at DH can't be any worse than the way Dye has been playing.

At least Castro got a hit and he's not expected to be one of our big run producers. I'd like to see more of Flowers and Kotsay from here on out.

Gameday might have got this wrong, but if they didn't, I think the following was telling about Flowers current status with the White Sox.

Pierzynski pinch hits for Castro after Rios flies out to lead off the inning. Pierzynski singles, putting the tying run on first. Podsednik pops out. Wise comes in to run for Pierzynski.

If in fact Guillen waited for two outs to run Wise at first with the Sox down by a run, it tells you that he is reluctant to use Flowers defensively with the game on the line, With one out and the top of the order coming up, the Sox might score multiple runs and Pierzynski can catch Jenks as he goes for the save. With two outs and Beckham hitting, the situation is more desperate, but a double could score Wise.

I don't know if Gameday got that right, but that's exactly as I would have played it.

I don't think Flowers will be catching Buehrle as long as the Sox are still in the race. I really don't see him catching any starter while the Sox are still in the race.

Rikirk
09-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Folks...

Im speaking my mind here, take it or leave it.

This year is a wash, let it go. Between the inconsistent pitching and the hit or miss offense...nothing is going to happen this year as far as winning anything. If by some miracle the Sox do make it into the playoffs...what would you want? Do you want to see them get totally destroyed by whatever team they end up facing and get swept right out in the first round? No..sorry...Id rather not see that.
Let them play out the rest of the year and start fresh next year.

It aint happenin this year.

Let them think about their upcoming golf game for the next few weeks...Im thru being suckered.

Iron Dragon2
09-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Folks...

Im speaking my mind here, take it or leave it.

This year is a wash, let it go. Between the inconsistent pitching and the hit or miss offense...nothing is going to happen this year as far as winning anything. If by some miracle the Sox do make it into the playoffs...what would you want? Do you want to see them get totally destroyed by whatever team they end up facing and get swept right out in the first round? No..sorry...Id rather not see that.
Let them play out the rest of the year and start fresh next year.

It aint happenin this year.

Let them think about their upcoming golf game for the next few weeks...Im thru being suckered.
I'd still rather make it than not.

TheBigHurtST
09-14-2009, 01:09 AM
You know, we can talk all we want about how well our starting rotation is set up for next year, and that's certainly a reason for optimism. But if this crap with poor situational hitting, poor hitting with RISP, and constant baserunning blunders continues, then it's not going to make a damn bit of difference unless we pitch a lot of shutouts. In regulation innings in this series, the Sox scored 6 runs in the 3 games. That doesn't get it done.

Mirrors my thoughts. That says it all.

DrCrawdad
09-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Let's see,

- Sox lose, check
- Tigers and Twins win, check

Yep, it must be Sunday. :angry:

Mirrors my thoughts. That says it all.

I wonder how many times the Sox have stranded 10 or more on base this season? Seems like a lot. IIRC yesterday was close to 10.

Dan H
09-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Sox scored 17 runs against these Angels on May 25.

And what does that prove? The Sox scored 7 runs in this series and they needed a tenth inning to get one of those runs.

Hitmen77
09-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Jermaine with another solid game.

One month ago today, he had a 3 RBI game. Since then he had an RBI the next day (on Aug 15), another one on Aug 30, and that's it.

Pre All-Star RBIs: 55. Post All-Star game RBIs: 17. His batting average has dropped 50 points since July 18.

Earlier this year, people were actually wondering if the Sox would pick up his $12 million option for 2010. That just seems like a long time ago now. :(:

g0g0
09-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Sox are still in it! Never say die! GO SOX GO! :dtroll:

Ranger
09-14-2009, 03:09 PM

Except Castro is the one that got a hit. He does his job as the backup catcher. Of all the problems the Sox have, Ramon Castro is not anywhere near the top of the list.

Shoeless
09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Except Castro is the one that got a hit. He does his job as the backup catcher. Of all the problems the Sox have, Ramon Castro is not anywhere near the top of the list.

agree 100%. We're talking a backup for a non-offensive position. Seems we Sox fans have been spoiled by AJ Pierzynski's production over the past few years.

ike from nj
09-14-2009, 04:53 PM
One month ago today, he had a 3 RBI game. Since then he had an RBI the next day (on Aug 15), another one on Aug 30, and that's it.

Pre All-Star RBIs: 55. Post All-Star game RBIs: 17. His batting average has dropped 50 points since July 18.

Earlier this year, people were actually wondering if the Sox would pick up his $12 million option for 2010. That just seems like a long time ago now. :(:
i still remember that guy getting ripped for saying they should trade dye before the deadline!

WhiteSox5187
09-14-2009, 05:20 PM

No, I agree, but let's face it, you can not count on any sort of consistent production from Castro, but you don't bring him in for his offense. My point was it's really hard to win when you look at Dye, Rios, Castro (and you could probably include Nix in this as well) and say "Any offense we get out of them is a nice bonus..." that's four automatic outs more or less. Dye has a history, but at this point with his slump, I don't think you can count on him for anything.

Ranger
09-14-2009, 07:18 PM
No, I agree, but let's face it, you can not count on any sort of consistent production from Castro, but you don't bring him in for his offense. My point was it's really hard to win when you look at Dye, Rios, Castro (and you could probably include Nix in this as well) and say "Any offense we get out of them is a nice bonus..." that's four automatic outs more or less. Dye has a history, but at this point with his slump, I don't think you can count on him for anything.

You bring Castro in for the other stuff and to give AJ days off, because, well, AJ can't catch every day. And not that you are doing it, but anyone that wants to complain about how much AJ doesn't start can just check the stats at the end of the year and realize he catches more innings than almost any other player in the game.

Here's the thing: all of the "Sunday lineup" moaning gets to be mind-numbing for the simple reason that on the days when the lineup fails, you'll notice the failures are coming from the heart of the order...where the bulk of the RBIs are supposed to be produced. And you'll often find that the "second-stringers" on those days are sometimes contributing more than the big boys. Like yesterday, Castro went 1 for 3. The backup catcher hit 9th and went 1 for 3. It's not his primary job to drive in runs, and when the rest of the lineup fails to do it, I find it amusing that people want to blame Ozzie for starting the backup catcher.

The Sox are losing a lot of games because the 3-4-5-6 are having the worst possible ABs with RISP. Popups, strikeouts, double plays, you name it. We should be upset with Dye, Quentin, Rios, AJ, Konerko, and anyone else that comes to the plate in an RBI situation 3 to 4 times each per game. Castro gets one chance every 6 days to come up big in an RISP opportunity, and when he blows it, people freak out. Jermaine Dye has that same opportunity 25 times a week. Guys like him are MUCH more at fault than Castro will ever be. Or Ozzie, for that matter.

I guess it drives me nuts because the Sox will be 1 for 12 with RISP on a given game and fans will blame Ozzie for sitting the regulars, when in reality, the middle of the lineup had 10 of those 12 ABs. Yet, we're worried about Ramon Castro.

TommyJohn
09-14-2009, 07:54 PM
You bring Castro in for the other stuff and to give AJ days off, because, well, AJ can't catch every day. And not that you are doing it, but anyone that wants to complain about how much AJ doesn't start can just check the stats at the end of the year and realize he catches more innings than almost any other player in the game.

Here's the thing: all of the "Sunday lineup" moaning gets to be mind-numbing for the simple reason that on the days when the lineup fails, you'll notice the failures are coming from the heart of the order...where the bulk of the RBIs are supposed to be produced. And you'll often find that the "second-stringers" on those days are sometimes contributing more than the big boys. Like yesterday, Castro went 1 for 3. The backup catcher hit 9th and went 1 for 3. It's not his primary job to drive in runs, and when the rest of the lineup fails to do it, I find it amusing that people want to blame Ozzie for starting the backup catcher.

The Sox are losing a lot of games because the 3-4-5-6 are having the worst possible ABs with RISP. Popups, strikeouts, double plays, you name it. We should be upset with Dye, Quentin, Rios, AJ, Konerko, and anyone else that comes to the plate in an RBI situation 3 to 4 times each per game. Castro gets one chance every 6 days to come up big in an RISP opportunity, and when he blows it, people freak out. Jermaine Dye has that same opportunity 25 times a week. Guys like him are MUCH more at fault than Castro will ever be. Or Ozzie, for that matter.

I guess it drives me nuts because the Sox will be 1 for 12 with RISP on a given game and fans will blame Ozzie for sitting the regulars, when in reality, the middle of the lineup had 10 of those 12 ABs. Yet, we're worried about Ramon Castro.
There you go, making sense again. How's a guy supposed to be hostile and bitter with you around? :redneck

Frater Perdurabo
09-14-2009, 08:20 PM
There you go, making sense again. How's a guy supposed to be hostile and bitter with you around? :redneck

I agree with Ranger that the middle of the lineup deserves scorn for repeatedly failing with RISP.

However, Ozzie is predictable and formulaic in his lineup and bullpen decisions. How about mixing it up a little bit?

I understand that AJ needs days off, and that a catcher should not play a day game after a night game. So how about giving AJ some Saturday nights off (with Castro getting the start), and letting AJ start those Sunday day games instead?

JB98
09-14-2009, 08:30 PM
I agree with Ranger that the middle of the lineup deserves scorn for repeatedly failing with RISP.

However, Ozzie is predictable and formulaic in his lineup and bullpen decisions. How about mixing it up a little bit?

I understand that AJ needs days off, and that a catcher should not play a day game after a night game. So how about giving AJ some Saturday nights off (with Castro getting the start), and letting AJ start those Sunday day games instead?

I think he's making those decisions based on whether a lefty or righty is pitching for the opposition.

Against Boston, Wakefield pitched Saturday and Lester pitched Sunday. Therefore, AJ plays Saturday and Castro Sunday.

Against Anaheim, Santana pitched Saturday and Kazmir on Sunday. So, AJ against the righty and Castro against the lefty again.

oeo
09-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Is this supposed to be in teal?

ChiSoxGirl
09-14-2009, 09:10 PM

I totally agree with you, Chris. Can't deny the stats- Castro has been more than a sufficient back-up catcher. Have people forgotten he caught Buehrle's Perfect Game?!

palehozenychicty
09-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Gameday might have got this wrong, but if they didn't, I think the following was telling about Flowers current status with the White Sox.

Pierzynski pinch hits for Castro after Rios flies out to lead off the inning. Pierzynski singles, putting the tying run on first. Podsednik pops out. Wise comes in to run for Pierzynski.

If in fact Guillen waited for two outs to run Wise at first with the Sox down by a run, it tells you that he is reluctant to use Flowers defensively with the game on the line, With one out and the top of the order coming up, the Sox might score multiple runs and Pierzynski can catch Jenks as he goes for the save. With two outs and Beckham hitting, the situation is more desperate, but a double could score Wise.

I don't know if Gameday got that right, but that's exactly as I would have played it.

I don't think Flowers will be catching Buehrle as long as the Sox are still in the race. I really don't see him catching any starter while the Sox are still in the race.

I admire your perseverance. Of course, it's all speculation, but Flowers should be playing a lot more. This team is not catching Detroit. The offense is not good enough to put on a sustained run. They've proven that all year. Rios and Dye are bringing absolutely nothing to the batter's box. That's two-thirds of your starting outfield. You can't take a division with that little production.

TDog
09-14-2009, 09:53 PM
I admire your perseverance. Of course, it's all speculation, but Flowers should be playing a lot more. This team is not catching Detroit. The offense is not good enough to put on a sustained run. They've proven that all year. Rios and Dye are bringing absolutely nothing to the batter's box. That's two-thirds of your starting outfield. You can't take a division with that little production.

If Flowers were an outfielder, he probably would be playing more.

WhiteSox5187
09-14-2009, 09:55 PM

I think you're missing my point, I understand that AJ needs days off, there is no doubt about that. I wasn't complaining that Castro was in the lineup, I understand that AJ can't catch every day. My point was that with that lineup (really to be honest, the way we are hitting with ANY lineup we put up there) we have more or less four automatic outs which means if our starting pitcher gives up more than two runs we are in serious jeopardy of losing. I'm not offering any critique there just stating an opinion.

sox1970
09-14-2009, 09:56 PM

The Sox aren't playing the kids until they're mathematically out of it. They have to get every last butt in the seats on the last homestand that they can. That means the regulars are playing and Peavy is starting at least twice.

Noneck
09-14-2009, 10:15 PM
The Sox aren't playing the kids until they're mathematically out of it. They have to get every last butt in the seats on the last homestand that they can. That means the regulars are playing and Peavy is starting at least twice.

Yes, Kids wont sell any seats.

Brewski
09-14-2009, 10:40 PM

Yes, Kids wont sell any seats.

Thanks for the heads-up guys. I'll make sure the kids aren't playing if I decide to head out the ballpark to say goodbye to baseball for 2009.