PDA

View Full Version : Where will Beckham bat next season?

JermaineDye05
09-13-2009, 04:51 PM
With his knack for hitting doubles and driving in big runs, I can't see Beckham being in the 2 hole next season. I don't see Ozzie moving Beckham out of the 2 hole anytime this season simply because he doesn't want to give Beckham anything more to think about at the plate (although that doesn't seem to faze him. He continues to adjust like a pro), he's succeeding now so leave it as is and let his confidence get up more. However, I feel next season that Ozzie will move Beckham into more of a run producing spot in the lineup. I don't know if he'll go to 3rd, but maybe 5th or 6th in the order.

Daver
09-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Comiskey Park.

Marqhead
09-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Comiskey Park.

Who writes your material?

I think he'll stay in the two hole.

Daver
09-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Who writes your material?

Art Carney.

voodoochile
09-13-2009, 06:20 PM
I think he gets moved to third in the lineup.

Dirty30
09-13-2009, 06:22 PM
I agree. Who knows what will happen this off season, but I think Kenny will get two guys that can get on base with speed at the top, with Beckham hitting 3rd.

Corlose 15
09-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Comiskey Park.

What about on the road?

Tragg
09-13-2009, 06:50 PM
I think he leads off.
I just don't see where Podsednik really fits for next year.

sox1970
09-13-2009, 06:54 PM
I think he leads off.
I just don't see where Podsednik really fits for next year.

Beckham will not lead off. He's too much of a run producer. It's too early to say where he'll bat considering we don't know who's going to be on the team next year. Hopefully they'll make some moves where he can bat 3rd. I think he can handle it.

soxfanreggie
09-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I could see second, and if not there, third. It all depends on what offseason moves we make. We aren't 100% on if Dye is coming back or not (right now, hopefully we explore our options). We aren't sure if we're going to acquire someone.

If he's doing really well, why not ask for a special exemption to let him bat 2nd, 3rd, and 6th? :tongue:

TDog
09-13-2009, 09:20 PM

I think it depends on his spring and what happens to the roster before the start of next season, but he seems more suitable a No. 3 hitter than a No. 2 hitter. He really doesn't do the things a No. 2 hitter is supposed to do. As much as Guillen bunts, even early in the game, Beckham has just one sacrifice this year, and I think he picked that up before he moved up in the lineup. I have no problem at all with Beckham swinging away instead of bunting, but he doesn't seem to be advancing Podsednik from second at all (on those occasions when Podsednik isn't picked off second in the first.) By contrast, Ramirez has six sacrifice bunts, coming from the No. 2 spot, RBI spots in the lineup and at the bottom of the order.

If Beckham is hitting well in the spring, I think he could open the season batting third (barring unforeseen developments, i.e., Rios having a monster spring where he is hitting everything). Quentin would be more suited to batting third if he were hitting as he did in 2008.

Kotsay and Ramirez seem to be more suited for the No. 2 spot in the order, but Kotsay probably won't be starting for the Sox if they bring him back, and Ramirez has played two seasons for the White Sox and has had two atrocious springs.

I really don't have any idea where Beckham would hit next year, not knowing who else will be in the lineup and how they look in the spring.

akingamongstmen
09-14-2009, 02:57 PM
It wouldn't be a bad idea to move Getz into the 2 hole as I think that he has the skills to succeed there. Beckham is a 3 hole hitter to me provided that he can improve his power game a little.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this, though:
Pods - DH
Beckham - 3B
Quentin - LF (I think he'll have a huge year in 2010)
Konerko - 1B
AJ - C
Rios - CF
Dye/Kotsay - RF
Ramirez - SS
Getz - 2B

Shoeless
09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
It wouldn't be a bad idea to move Getz into the 2 hole as I think that he has the skills to succeed there. Beckham is a 3 hole hitter to me provided that he can improve his power game a little.

Pods - DH
Beckham - 3B
Konerko - 1B
AJ - C
Rios - CF
Dye/Kotsay - RF
Ramirez - SS
Getz - 2B

this lineup is six games out in the central. Here's hoping for more changes then that. I could see Beck at the 2 or 3 hole.

Ranger
09-14-2009, 04:17 PM
this lineup is six games out in the central. Here's hoping for more changes then that. I could see Beck at the 2 or 3 hole.

Except they didn't start the season with Podsednik, Beckham, or Kotsay. The lineup may not need that much turnover, quite honestly. A few of those guys in that lineup should be a year better by 2010.

JohnTucker0814
09-14-2009, 08:27 PM
What about trading for Fielder to play 1B and bat 4th? Milwaukee is definately open to trading him and we have the potential to have prospects to offer. Maybe it would have to be a 3 way where we deal Konerko to a contender and both teams send prospects to Milwaukee...

I'd love to have a real power threat from the left side like Fielder, and he'd be perfect for the A.L.

JermaineDye05
09-14-2009, 08:41 PM
What about trading for Fielder to play 1B and bat 4th? Milwaukee is definately open to trading him and we have the potential to have prospects to offer. Maybe it would have to be a 3 way where we deal Konerko to a contender and both teams send prospects to Milwaukee...

I'd love to have a real power threat from the left side like Fielder, and he'd be perfect for the A.L.

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. He would fit well with the team and be a good left handed bat to replace Thome. I only question whether he would fit in Ozzie's clubhouse. After seeing his actions at the Dodger game after being hit, I'm torn whether or not I'd want him with the Sox. He's a hell of a hitter, there's no doubt about that. He just appears to be a bit of a powder keg.

Funny thing is I had a dream the other day that the Sox acquired Prince. Perhaps it was a premonition?!?!

EDIT: Prince is owed a good deal of money (I believe) so I really cannot see the White Sox going for him unless they trade away some more pieces. Anyways this is more of a discussion left for What's the Score?

Hitmen77
09-14-2009, 09:49 PM

Pods - DH
Beckham - 3B
Konerko - 1B
AJ - C
Rios - CF
Dye/Kotsay - RF
Ramirez - SS
Getz - 2B

Except they didn't start the season with Podsednik, Beckham, or Kotsay. The lineup may not need that much turnover, quite honestly. A few of those guys in that lineup should be a year better by 2010.

I'm not sure what point that makes. We haven't been any better even after we added these guys. Plus, Kotsay is not a regular and may not even be back next year (free agent).

....but I generally agree with your underlying point. I do expect that Beckham will get even better with experience and a healthy Quentin would be a huge boost to our lineup. I do expect Rios to rebound closer to his career norms next year too - which would be another big boost.

On the other hand, it's a tad unrealistic to expect Pods to hit even close to .310 again next year. AJ has been very dependable for us and I expect the same next year, but I don't expect him to hit .310 again. Dye is on the downward side of his career and probably won't be back. That's a huge hole in the lineup to fill. The Sox need to fill that hole with a solid power hitter.

JB98
09-14-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure what that point that makes. We haven't been any better even after we added these guys. Plus, Kotsay is not a regular and may not even be back next year (free agent).

....but I generally agree with your underlying point. I do expect that Beckham will get even better with experience and a healthy Quentin would be a huge boost to our lineup. I do expect Rios to rebound closer to his career norms next year too - which would be another big boost.

On the other hand, it's a tad unrealistic to expect Pods to hit even close to .310 again next year. AJ has been very dependable for us and I expect the same next year, but I don't expect him to hit .310 again. Dye is on the downward side of his career and probably won't be back. That's a huge hole in the lineup to fill. The Sox need to fill that hole with a solid power hitter.

Preferably a left-handed one.

jmeneghini1433
09-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Beckham wont be on the team in 2010.

Marqhead
09-15-2009, 11:01 AM

Care to elaborate?

voodoochile
09-15-2009, 11:05 AM

Care to elaborate?

I'd like to read that explanation too because right now it smells like trolling...

hawkjt
09-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Next year lineup:

Pods-lf
Beckham-3rd
Abreu-rf
Carlos-dh
PK-1st
AJ-c
Rios
Getz
Alexei

I like the balance of the right/left hitters,speed at the top and bottom with some power sprinkled in the middle. This would be the fastest Sox team in a long time...Abreu has 28steals,and Pods,Beckham,Rios,Getz and Alexei can all steal...6 base stealers? Now if they can just get on base...but Abreu has a .405 oba...Carlos should bounce back with a good oba..not bad at all if our pitchers perform to their history...just need better bullpen.

jmeneghini1433
09-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Care to elaborate?
Sorry, if you believed it. It was a joke. I say he is batting in the two or three spot.

Marqhead
09-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Sorry, if you believed it. It was a joke. I say he is batting in the two or three spot.

It was so out of the blue I missed it. :D:

voodoochile
09-15-2009, 02:26 PM

Next time try:

:tealtutor:

jmeneghini1433
09-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Next time try:

:tealtutor:

I was waiting for that one :smile: