PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Goes Off (Again)

Lip Man 1
09-13-2009, 01:13 AM
Ozzie called it straight and true to the media after this game Saturday. I found his comments in this specific instance very accurate.

"We've been facing some pitchers this year it's like, 'Who the [bleep] is this guy? They don't even belong in the [bleeping] big leagues, and they just kicked our ass. ... I know who beat us, and I know who should beat us. We've faced some guys where they've called him up, faced us and get him back to [bleeping] Double A. ... That's how bad we've been."

Lip

HangWiffum
09-13-2009, 01:39 AM
2 months too late ozzie.

LITTLE NELL
09-13-2009, 05:43 AM
Getting beat by unknowns has been going on longer than just this year.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-13-2009, 06:38 AM
This goes back at least to Hippolito Patchardo (he pithed for KC, the spelling is terrible).

soxinem1
09-13-2009, 08:09 AM
2 months too late ozzie.

The west coast jinx and getting beaten by 'Bobby Neverseen' has been going on for almost ten years.

Craig Grebeck
09-13-2009, 08:42 AM
At this point I'd be very surprised if the White Sox decide to bring back Walker.

Scottiehaswheels
09-13-2009, 09:24 AM
At this point I'd be very surprised if the White Sox decide to bring back Walker.Hawk always talks about how great a hitting coach the guy is... Honestly though, who else would give him a job if we let him go?

Rohan
09-13-2009, 09:28 AM
At this point I'd be very surprised if the White Sox decide to bring back Walker.

I think you're going to be very surprised..

And I think i'll be very happy that i'm a fan of an organization that doesn't cave into what the all knowing fan base thinks is best.

southside rocks
09-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Ozzie could comment on how nice the weather has been in Chicago, and some people would say he was "going off". He just throws the F-bomb a lot, that's his style. And he's not saying anything in that bit that isn't obvious to anyone who's watched the Sox for more than a few games. Maybe the players will be uncomfortable seeing it in print, but I doubt it -- it doesn't seem to motivate them very much.

Makes me wonder how different the lineup will be next year, if Ozzie hopes to run into these flat spells less often in 2010.

Frontman
09-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Ozzie could comment on how nice the weather has been in Chicago, and some people would say he was "going off". He just throws the F-bomb a lot, that's his style. And he's not saying anything in that bit that isn't obvious to anyone who's watched the Sox for more than a few games. Maybe the players will be uncomfortable seeing it in print, but I doubt it -- it doesn't seem to motivate them very much.

Makes me wonder how different the lineup will be next year, if Ozzie hopes to run into these flat spells less often in 2010.

Agreed. If Ozzie doesn't say something, fans get upset. When he goes all, well, Ozzie on a topic; fans get upset.

And honestly, did he say anything THAT shocking? The Sox for YEARS have had issues with getting to pitchers they've never seen or don't have film on.

I think since things have gone to digital, Walker doesn't know how to operate the video playback equipment.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Ozzie could comment on how nice the weather has been in Chicago, and some people would say he was "going off". He just throws the F-bomb a lot, that's his style.

This. He could literally say "It's ****ing beautiful out today" with a big smile on his face and it would be reported as a "rant." Yesterday the Fox announcer said something along the lines of, you can't be a CEO of a big corporation and talk the way Ozzie does, but he's a baseball manager.

Actually, many high-ranking corporate types swear -- they just have learned not to do it at press briefings, big meetings, etc. Ozzie has only one mode.

That's not to say he wasn't right; it's just no big deal. A search for posts here about the Sox being unable to hit unknown pitchers would turn up quite a number.

GoSox2K3
09-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Ozzie called it straight and true to the media after this game Saturday. I found his comments in this specific instance very accurate.

"We've been facing some pitchers this year it's like, 'Who the [bleep] is this guy? They don't even belong in the [bleeping] big leagues, and they just kicked our ass. ... I know who beat us, and I know who should beat us. We've faced some guys where they've called him up, faced us and get him back to [bleeping] Double A. ... That's how bad we've been."

Lip

Ozzie is just buying into the myth that we get beat by terrible pitchers. He should read WSI and realize it's all in his head. We went 7-2 for that one brief stretch vs. no name pitchers! 7-2!! There, that proves this is all make believe and is not an ongoing problem for the Sox.

Frontman
09-13-2009, 10:51 AM
This. He could literally say "It's ****ing beautiful out today" with a big smile on his face and it would be reported as a "rant." Yesterday the Fox announcer said something along the lines of, you can't be a CEO of a big corporation and talk the way Ozzie does, but he's a baseball manager.

Actually, many high-ranking corporate types swear -- they just have learned not to do it at press briefings, big meetings, etc. Ozzie has only one mode.

That's not to say he wasn't right; it's just no big deal. A search for posts here about the Sox being unable to hit unknown pitchers would turn up quite a number.

Actually, I disagree that Ozzie has only one mode. He was very polite to my wife and son when they got his autograph on a ball.

Personally, I figured the only evidence I could have that he met Ozzie is if when I got home I got, "Dad, Dad! I {BLEEPIN} met Ozzie {BLEEPIN} Guillen!!!!"

Ron Karkovice
09-13-2009, 10:54 AM

well said. +rep

GoSox2K3
09-13-2009, 10:54 AM

Haven't you heard? Walker has no accountability. A professional hitter doesn't need a coach. Our offensive failure is the fault of the hitters, Ozzie, KW, the minor league system.....everyone in the organization shares the blame EXCEPT GREG WALKER.

FielderJones
09-13-2009, 11:25 AM
everyone in the organization shares the blame EXCEPT GREG WALKER.

Haven't you heard, when Sox players like Podsednik, Beckham, or Getz have success, it's due to their own innate ability. Only when players go into slumps is it Walker's fault. His work never produces success.

:rolleyes:

TornLabrum
09-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Walker is not paying attention to the scouting reports and video of those AA and AAA pitchers we fail against. In fact I'm willing to bet that he doesn't even look at the tape and just tell our hitters to go up there and swing away. Walker is truly a terrible hitting coach and deserves to be fired when our players fail at the plate. Hell, he deserves to be fired when our players do succeed at the plate because we know he had nothing to do with that!

Soxfanspcu11
09-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Maybe Walker does his job, maybe he doesn't. From the looks of things, he probably doesn't do much of anything.

But even if he is this, "great coach"(which he's not) the ineptitude of the Sox offense has gone on far too long. Granted the White Sox lineup isin't exactly murderers row but the amount of talent that they do have is not being shown on the field. The offense is horrific and somebody has to take the blame. It's not going to be the 9 players that all seem to suck at once, it's going to be the guy whose job it is to coach those 9 sucky players.

Hey, at this point, whether Walker does anything or not doesn't really matter. He pretty much HAS to go. Some kind of shakeup is necessary and the Sox would be better off with Bafia as the hitting coach. It really can't get worse than how it's been under Walker's excellent coaching :rolleyes:

southside rocks
09-13-2009, 09:43 PM
I have a question for the "Walker must go" crowd. Seriously.

Do you think that Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams do not know that Greg Walker is a liability to the team (assuming that he is such a thing)? In other words, do you think that posters on WSI have a better grasp of this situation than the manager and GM of the club? :?:

Or do you think that they know and don't care -- that they would rather see the team continue to struggle and lose than fire a coach? Even though neither OG nor KW has hesitated to fire coaches in the past? :rolleyes:

Because I think both of those things are so silly as to be downright stupid; yet I can't imagine what the anti-Walker crowd thinks is the reason why Greg Walker has not yet been fired.

OTOH, if Greg Walker is not the problem, then I completely understand why management has not canned his ass.

Craig Grebeck
09-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I have a question for the "Walker must go" crowd. Seriously.

Do you think that Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams do not know that Greg Walker is a liability to the team (assuming that he is such a thing)? In other words, do you think that posters on WSI have a better grasp of this situation than the manager and GM of the club? :?:

Or do you think that they know and don't care -- that they would rather see the team continue to struggle and lose than fire a coach? Even though neither OG nor KW has hesitated to fire coaches in the past? :rolleyes:

Because I think both of those things are so silly as to be downright stupid; yet I can't imagine what the anti-Walker crowd thinks is the reason why Greg Walker has not yet been fired.

OTOH, if Greg Walker is not the problem, then I completely understand why management has not canned his ass.
Why hasn't he been resigned for next season? Why not just give the guy a lifetime contract?

Lip Man 1
09-13-2009, 11:44 PM
East Chicago:

What? That's not my post.

:?:

I'm confused here with your comment.

Lip

russ99
09-13-2009, 11:59 PM
It's a fine line as to Walker's status between Ozzie and the front office. From rumblings I've heard, many in the FO are down on Walker.

But Ozzie makes the call on who's on his field staff. Would Kenny step over that line?

Maybe Ozzie keeps Walk around so he's not on the firing line...

eastchicagosoxfan
09-14-2009, 06:15 AM
East Chicago:

What? That's not my post.

:?:

I'm confused here with your comment.

Lip
My sincerest apologies. I'm not sure what I was seeing. I will delete the post.

captain54
09-15-2009, 03:19 PM
In other words, do you think that posters on WSI have a better grasp of this situation than the manager and GM of the club? :?:

Let's put it this way....Without more than a few players having career years (like 2005), 2006-2009 showed than Ozzie and Kenny, without any number of players having career years, are mediocre on and off the field administrators..

2008? Barely squeaking in to win a weak division, and not a whole lot of success in the playoffs.

they may have a better grasp than the vast majority of WSI posters, but they are not going to be anything more than average, in comparison to the rest of MLB.

Let's not forget the roster that Kenny put out there opening day. Posednick and Beckham were barely on the radar, and without them, we would be battling Cleveland for next to last.