PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-12 Sox keep hope alive; need 10 innings to beat Angels, 4-3

Frater Perdurabo
09-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Crisp game...

JermaineDye05
09-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Pena owes Alexei a drink.

AJ owes Jepsen a drink.

Thornton owes Bobby a drink.

Bobby owes the rest of Sox bullpen a drink.

The whole team owes Danks a steak and a drink

We all owe Reggie Willits a drink for that free out.

SoxGirl4Life
I'll take a win in 10 over a loss in 9. No complaints here. We can't afford to be picky.

Madvora
Alexei gets credited with a save.

Boondock Saint
09-12-2009, 07:42 PM

AJ owes Jepsen a drink.

You left out Danks. He was robbed.

GoGoCrede
09-12-2009, 07:42 PM

AJ owes Jepsen a drink.

The team owes us a Tums for that last inning.

BNLSox
09-12-2009, 07:43 PM
This Angels team is damn good, I'm glad we only have to face them one last game in the regular season. Nothing like good old AL central cooking to get our unlikely comeback fully on track.

Lets win this series tomorrow and somehow find ourselves only 4 or less games back when we get back home from seattle.

Go SOX.

WhiteSox5187
That was ugly.

Konerko05
Alexei gets credited with a save.

He's been diving alot more since I called him in out my "Alexei Defense" thread.

You're welcome everybody.

Frater Perdurabo
09-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Let's get rid of the Sunday blahs tomorrow, please.

Danks WAS robbed.

SoxGirl4Life
lol. We're 7-3 in the last 10? Why does it feel like the opposite?

soxfanreggie
Great game by Danks. Even our Slovakian friends who don't know much about baseball commented how well he must be doing for allowing so few runs (or as they called them: goals:D:).

voodoochile
09-12-2009, 07:45 PM
It's a win...

:soxwin:

:)

chaotic8512

AJ owes Jepsen a drink.

If this was really how things worked, our team would have died of alcohol poisoning (and steak overdose) in April. :D:

Hope the Jays can pull another out in Detroit...

GlassSox
That was a nail biter. Excellent job by Danks. Great job Pods.

35th&Shields
09-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Worst part of this game is it got me thinking, "Hey, maybe there still is A chance........." 5.5 back with 19 games left (could be 5 by the end of the night), with 6 games against Detroit and a couple of series with Cleveland and KC.....who knows. We'll see, but I'm interested again.

GlassSox
09-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Worst part of this game is it got me thinking, "Hey, maybe there still is A chance........." 5.5 back with 19 games left (could be 5 by the end of the night), with 6 games against Detroit and a couple of series with Cleveland and KC.....who knows. We'll see, but I'm interested again.

Yes they keep teasing us don't they?

DirtySox
09-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Gordon had a great game today with the bat, and in the field.

Bobby still scares the bejeesus out of me.

09-12-2009, 07:54 PM
We won. That's all I can ask for.

GoGoCrede
09-12-2009, 07:55 PM
We won. That's all I can ask for.

Yup. Who cares if it was ugly?

Noneck
09-12-2009, 07:57 PM
I heard what Rosenthal said about Figgins. The Sox would compete with the cubs and the yanks. So that means the Sox will have a snowballs chance in hell of getting him. They have to keep Pod and he will have to play somewhere or DH, not a spot player, no other choice.

MarkZ35
09-12-2009, 08:00 PM
They keep it just close enough where I can't call it quits on the season yet. It won't be easy but the Tiggers continue to make it more and more possible. Weirder things have happened.

I know it is asking a lot but if the Sox could somehow continue to chip away at the lead and get it down to 3 games by the time the Tiggers come to town then I would feel pretty confident.

GlassSox
09-12-2009, 08:06 PM
They keep it just close enough where I can't call it quits on the season yet. It won't be easy but the Tiggers continue to make it more and more possible. Weirder things have happened.

I know it is asking a lot but if the Sox could somehow continue to chip away at the lead and get it down to 3 games by the time the Tiggers come to town then I would feel pretty confident.

Yes I just keep watching and I guess I will to the end. Here's hoping the Tiggers lose tonight and give us more hope.

UofCSoxFan
09-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Rivera K'd the pitch before his infield single...that was easily a swing.

I've tried to write this team off and they keep sucking me back in. I know even if we get this down to 3 or 4 back before playing the Tigers, it's still a tall order (we probably need to take 5 of 6) but all I can ask for at this point is for those games to mean something.

Foulke You
09-12-2009, 08:17 PM
They keep it just interesting enough to make you say, "well maybe if we can just stay hot..." The pattern lately is that when we lose, so does Detroit and when we win, so does Detroit. This won't work with only 20 or so left on the schedule. It would be nice if we were only 3 games back heading into the first Detroit series. If we get that close, the pressure is all on the Tigers. Everyone wrote the Sox off after the 13 game road trip of doom.

On a different note, that Angels team is really good. Their lineup is very pesky and makes our pitchers really work to retire them. Even when they make outs, they are fouling off a ton of pitches and working the counts deep. I wish our hitters could do that with consistency again.

oeo
09-12-2009, 08:23 PM
I heard what Rosenthal said about Figgins. The Sox would compete with the cubs and the yanks. So that means the Sox will have a snowballs chance in hell of getting him. They have to keep Pod and he will have to play somewhere or DH, not a spot player, no other choice.

He said those are three teams that would have the need for him. I don't see how the Cubs can take on another bad contract without unloading one.

Personally, I'd like the Sox to look for a more long term option at lead off. I don't know where, but Figgins isn't long term at 31, IMO. I think it would be risky to give him a big time contract as he's showing signs of fatigue just like most of our older guys are this year.

GlassSox
09-12-2009, 08:28 PM
They keep it just interesting enough to make you say, "well maybe if we can just stay hot..." The pattern lately is that when we lose, so does Detroit and when we win, so does Detroit. This won't work with only 20 or so left on the schedule. It would be nice if we were only 3 games back heading into the first Detroit series. If we get that close, the pressure is all on the Tigers. Everyone wrote the Sox off after the 13 game road trip of doom.

On a different note, that Angels team is really good. Their lineup is very pesky and makes our pitchers really work to retire them. Even when they make outs, they are fouling off a ton of pitches and working the counts deep. I wish our hitters could do that with consistency again.

If we were only 3 games back for the Detroit series it would be phenominal. It would at least be nice to make it exciting to the end.

TDog
09-12-2009, 08:30 PM
This Angels team is damn good, I'm glad we only have to face them one last game in the regular season. Nothing like good old AL central cooking to get our unlikely comeback fully on track. ...

Of course, the White Sox have a losing record against other AL Central teams. This time of year, teams are probably better off playing contenders than teams out of the race (although "out of the race won't apply with the Twins and Tigers games). There are no easy wins. The Twins right now have their hands full with the A's, although the A's (their announcers insist) never play well in the Metrodome.

I was happy to see that Pena got the save. I couldn't see the game (in my section of A's country, Fox had the Cards-Braves game. I wasn't sure if the infield hit by the Angels in the 10 was a great play by Ramirez to save a run or a poor play that extended the inning.

That was an exciting game -- an inside-the-park home run, a runner thrown out at the plate, the home team coming from behind to tie and the visiting team taking the lead in their next at bats. If the Angels gave the Sox a run with an error and a wild pitch, I won't complain.

People might complain that Guillen misused Jenks, believing he can't pitch more than one inning. But Guillen had no choice because Thornton didn't get the job done. Maybe if the Angels had sacrificed in the ninth, they would have lost in nine, just as the sacrifice in the 10th didn't help push a run across. I really don't like sacrificing an out when I only have three outs between my team and a loss.

I also see that Rios again had a hitless game. In four at bats, he thrice failed to bring home runners in scoring postion. I know he has demonstrated that he has solid baseball skills, but he isn't helping the team on offense, and from what I've seen, he isn't helping the team on defense. If Wise starts in center tomorrow, people will complain, but I wouldn't.

Noneck
09-12-2009, 08:32 PM
He said those are three teams that would have the need for him. I don't see how the Cubs can take on another bad contract without unloading one.

I thought the same about the cubs. But what he said about the yanks made total sense. Yanks get involved, which it sure makes sense they will, and they look to get Figgins to take over for Damon. The Sox better get that pen in the Pods hand.

oeo
09-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Of course, the White Sox have a losing record against other AL Central teams. This time of year, teams are probably better off playing contenders than teams out of the race (although "out of the race won't apply with the Twins and Tigers games). There are no easy wins. The Twins right now have their hands full with the A's, although the A's (their announcers insist) never play well in the Metrodome.

I was happy to see that Pena got the save. I couldn't see the game (in my section of A's country, Fox had the Cards-Braves game. I wasn't sure if the infield hit by the Angels in the 10 was a great play by Ramirez to save a run or a poor play that extended the inning.

That was an exciting game -- an inside-the-park home run, a runner thrown out at the plate, the home team coming from behind to tie and the visiting team taking the lead in their next at bats. If the Angels gave the Sox a run with an error and a wild pitch, I won't complain.

People might complain that Guillen misused Jenks, believing he can't pitch more than one inning. But Guillen had no choice because Thornton didn't get the job done. Maybe if the Angels had sacrificed in the ninth, they would have lost in nine, just as the sacrifice in the 10th didn't help push a run across. I really don't like sacrificing an out when I only have three outs between my team and a loss.

I also see that Rios again had a hitless game. In four at bats, he thrice failed to bring home runners in scoring postion. I know he has demonstrated that he has solid baseball skills, but he isn't helping the team on offense, and from what I've seen, he isn't helping the team on defense. If Wise starts in center tomorrow, people will complain, but I wouldn't.

Rios did hit a ball right on the money which Hunter robbed.

And Alexei's play was neither a great or poor play. It was a slow chopper up the middle which he kept in the infield...he had no play at first. I think most shortstops make the play to keep it in the infield.

GlassSox
09-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I thought the same about the cubs. But what he said about the yanks made total sense. Yanks get involved, which it sure makes sense they will, and they look to get Figgins to take over for Damon. The Sox better get that pen in the Pods hand.

I agree about Pods, let's sign him.

Noneck
09-12-2009, 08:41 PM

If I had my choice, Ill keep Rios out there rather than Dye. At least "if" he gets on base he can use his speed and defensively hes still better than Dye. Offensively they are both really sad.

Frater Perdurabo
09-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Personally, I'd like the Sox to look for a more long term option at lead off.

I would too, but with Danks and Mitchell moving up through the system, the Sox may not need to commit significant resources to a longer-term leadoff solution than Figgins would be.

Noneck
09-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I would too, but with Danks and Mitchell moving up through the system, the Sox may not need to commit significant resources to a longer-term leadoff solution than Figgins would be.

You think Figgins will take a short term contract? I dont, This is his last big payday, 3 years minimum and probably more.

TDog
09-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Rios did hit a ball right on the money which Hunter robbed. ...

That must have been the time he came up with no one on base. His strike outs and his ground out all came with men in scoring position.

As I wrote. I'm sure he has tools. But he is hitting under .100 for the month of September and he's only hitting .144 since coming to the White Sox.

The funny thing is, people here were so excited about acquiring Rios and considered Kotsay's acquisition inconsequential. I honestly believe the Sox would be better off on both offense and defense if they started Kotsay in center and had Rios on the bench.

MarkZ35
09-12-2009, 09:35 PM
The funny thing is, people here were so excited about acquiring Rios and considered Kotsay's acquisition inconsequential. I honestly believe the Sox would be better off on both offense and defense if they started Kotsay in center and had Rios on the bench.

I agree that I would rather have Kotsay out in center the most but I like Rios in center making up for some of the defense we lack in left with Quentin and Pods.

Hitmen77
09-12-2009, 09:42 PM

It would be very interesting to see how much payroll the Sox have to work with next year. If it's not much after taking on the Rios and Peavy contracts, then it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Pods back in the starting lineup (signed at a relative bargin) and Garcia back as the 5th starter ($1 million option for 2010). That would leave the Sox one hole to fill: DH or corner OF to replace Dye.

This might not be the best approach in terms of competitiveness, but it very well may be the financial reality for next year.

oeo
09-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Figgins would be a long term commitment. You can't expect Mitchell to be an everyday player for at least a couple years. Short term options would be Pods or even Damon.

CanBuehrleWait
09-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Tigers lose 5 games back... getting a bit interesting again:bandance:Get em tommorrow Buehrle

GoGoCrede
09-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Anyone care to join me in singing?

White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!
Let's go, Go-Go White Sox
We're with you all the way!
You're always in there fighting,
And you do your best.
We're glad to have you out there in the Middle West.
We're gonna root-root-root-root White Sox.
And cheer you on to victory.

Bears are playing tomorrow, Sox are only 5 games out...I rule today a success.

cards press box
09-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Alexei's play was neither a great or poor play. It was a slow chopper up the middle which he kept in the infield...he had no play at first. I think most shortstops make the play to keep it in the infield.

I thought Alexei made a very good play, as he was properly playing Rivera in the hole and had to cover a lot of ground just to stop the ball.

By the way, the Blue Jays made a nice comback tonight beating the Tigers 8-6. After Miguel Cabrera hit a three-run homer in the 5th, the Tigers were up 6-3. Pardon the pun, but the Jays pecked away one run at a time and eventually took the lead on Aaron Hill's two-run homer in the 9th. The Sox are now 5 GB with 19 left. Let's hope Buerhle can win tommorrow and the Sox can take at least 2 out of 3 from Seattle.

hawkjt
09-12-2009, 10:24 PM
IF the Sox can get back to Chicago 5 back, they are still alive..4 would be even better. Play KC at Soxpark while the tigers are up in the humpdome...who knows?

SoxGirl4Life
09-12-2009, 10:25 PM

White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!
And you do your best.

Agreed! :bandance::bandance:

GlassSox
09-12-2009, 10:29 PM

White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!
And you do your best.

I will join you in song :bandance:

Hitmen77
09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I thought Alexei made a very good play, as he was properly playing Rivera in the hole and had to cover a lot of ground just to stop the ball.

By the way, the Blue Jays made a nice comback tonight beating the Tigers 8-6. After Miguel Cabrera hit a three-run homer in the 5th, the Tigers were up 6-3. Pardon the pun, but the Jays pecked away one run at a time and eventually took the lead on Aaron Hill's two-run homer in the 9th. The Sox are now 5 GB with 19 left. Let's hope Buerhle can win tommorrow and the Sox can take at least 2 out of 3 from Seattle.

If this team has any hope, they have to finally get over this "we can't win on Sundays" crap.....even if it's against the tough Angels. The pitching match up should favor us (but we've heard that before in games we lost).

The Seattle games could be very interesting with Garcia, Floyd, and......PEAVY?? pitching for us in that series.

Soxman219
09-13-2009, 12:09 AM

White Sox! White Sox!
Go-Go White Sox!
And you do your best.

I hope both win tomorrow.

whitesoxfan
09-13-2009, 12:16 AM
IF the Sox can get back to Chicago 5 back, they are still alive..4 would be even better. Play KC at Soxpark while the tigers are up in the humpdome...who knows?

I'm starting to get back into this thing. A win tomorrow and a DET loss would make things very interesting.

guillensdisciple
09-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm starting to get back into this thing. A win tomorrow and a DET loss would make things very interesting.

A win tomorrow and a Detroit loss means you can count me in on the White Sox playoff tickets.

I imagine that if the Sox can get within two by the time the Tigers come in here, the White Sox front office will be packed with Ticket calls.

Go Sox, give it everything you got until there is nothing left.

If we make it to the playoffs this year, I think Ozzie is the best coach in the world.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2009, 01:05 AM
My concern is that Kenny is going to be seduced into thinking that Podsednik can return next season and play at a high / injury free level so he'll do nothing about the leadoff spot, and that Garcia can stay healthy / produce at the 5th starter spot so he'll do nothing there.

In my opinion that would be a major risk.

It's possible both can beat the track record and produce / perform / stay healthy. But the odds to me seem to be a lot more in favor of at least one guy breaking down / going into a bad slump...something.

I guess that's why Kenny gets paid what he does, to make those decisions. I hope he doesn't take the risk with both. I can live with taking a shot with one if absolutely necessary but not both.

Lip

whitesoxfan
09-13-2009, 01:16 AM
My concern is that Kenny is going to be seduced into thinking that Podsednik can return next season and play at a high / injury free level so he'll do nothing about the leadoff spot, and that Garcia can stay healthy / produce at the 5th starter spot so he'll do nothing there.

It's possible both can beat the track record and produce / perform / stay healthy. But the odds to me seem to be a lot more in favor of at least one guy breaking down / going into a bad slump...something.

I guess that's why Kenny gets paid what he does, to make those decisions. I hope he doesn't take the risk with both. I can live with taking a shot with one if absolutely necessary but not both.

Lip

Pods should be brought back with a guarantee that he'll be on the 25 man roster heading into Opening Day. Now whether that be as a starter or a bench player, that's for the organization to decide. He's been far too valuable this year to just completely dismiss him after the season.

voodoochile
09-13-2009, 01:21 AM

Lip

Why?

Based on this year's attendance and barring a major run in the playoffs, odds are the Sox are going to have a payroll limit right around this year's starting level.

That means they have JD's money to pay a RF, relief pitcher and give substantial raises to Danks and Quentin who both become arb eligible this year for the first time and they still will have to give Jenks a raise too.

If Pods can be had cheap then taking him and Garcia might be as good an option as they can afford entering the season.

Now really cheap is moving Quentin to RF, giving Pods the full time LF job and then offering Kotsay a contract to be the backup OF/1B/bench bat and not replace Dye's production at all. Then they might have money to pay someone other than Freddy, but honestly this isn't like last year. Freddy isn't coming off a major injury this season like Jose was and he's not as old and fat as Colon was and there's two pitchers who are ready for a shot at that 5th slot should Garcia falter (Torres and Hudson). This last season, there was one guy (Richard) to back up both slots. I'd rather see a big bat to replace one of Dye/Thome than worry about Pods and Garcia, but that's just me.

I wish the money didn't factor into it, but I think you know it does and unless you know about a magic money tree you know this next off season isn't going to have a ton of free cash to play with.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Voodoo:

I understand completely what you are saying but remember Garcia hasn't been effective since 2006. That's a long time to be out of sorts, and it's longer odds that he's going to remain healthy.

He's had arm injuries basically the past 2 1/2 years and he's in his mid 30's. If that's not a risk I don't know what is.

Simply from that narrow set of parameters in my opinion it's just as big a risk as Contreras or Colon.

If Freddy say simply didn't have a lot of luck the past few years or pitched for really bad teams but was healthy I could certainly see giving him the shot, but how many innings has he pitched since 2006? He's working with a rebuilt arm no?

Like I said I can see Kenny taking a shot with one or the other and can understand it, but both? Again that's why he makes the big bucks and gets the credit or blame depending on how things go.

And again no one right now has any idea how the off season free agent market will go based on the economy. There were good players (Orlando Hudson for one) practically begging for a deal last season, who's to say it doesn't happen again?

I hope Kenny doesn't lock himself into anything that he can't get out of before getting a feel for economically what may happen.

Lip

voodoochile
09-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Voodoo:

I understand completely what you are saying but remember Garcia hasn't been effective since 2006. That's a long time to be out of sorts, and it's longer odds that he's going to remain healthy.

He's had arm injuries basically the past 2 1/2 years and he's in his mid 30's. If that's not a risk I don't know what is.

Simply from that narrow set of parameters in my opinion it's just as big a risk as Contreras or Colon.

If Freddy say simply didn't have a lot of luck the past few years or pitched for really bad teams but was healthy I could certainly see giving him the shot, but how many innings has he pitched since 2006? He's working with a rebuilt arm no?

Like I said I can see Kenny taking a shot with one or the other and can understand it, but both? Again that's why he makes the big bucks and gets the credit or blame depending on how things go.

Lip
The last surgery was in February 2008. Near as I can tell he had two. The first was for "damaged labrum" and frayed rotator cuff It wouldn't be that surprising if it took him over a year to feel 100% and then several months to work up his arm strength.

At the least he deserves to have his option picked up. At that point, it seems silly to go sign someone else to be the 5th starter.

oeo
09-13-2009, 01:48 AM

It wasn't hit very hard which is why he was able to get there.

Noneck
09-13-2009, 02:11 AM
My concern is that Kenny is going to be seduced into thinking that Podsednik can return next season and play at a high / injury free level so he'll do nothing about the leadoff spot,

Lip

I was in the get Figgins camp for next year until I realized the yanks will probably be going after him. After hearing that, the Sox have no chance of getting him.

Until I see a viable leadoff candidate the Sox can sign or can get without giving up much, I say roll the dice and sign Pods. No other choice.

JB98
09-13-2009, 02:14 AM
The last surgery was in February 2008. Near as I can tell he had two. The first was for "damaged labrum" and frayed rotator cuff It wouldn't be that surprising if it took him over a year to feel 100% and then several months to work up his arm strength.

At the least he deserves to have his option picked up. At that point, it seems silly to go sign someone else to be the 5th starter.

I think they should stick with Garcia as the fifth starter. They don't need anything more for their rotation. They do, however, need a left-handed bat and a right-handed arm for the bullpen.

doublem23
09-13-2009, 02:23 AM
They just won't let me quit!

kufram
09-13-2009, 05:35 AM
This team has never been out of it this year although they have played like they were an awful lot. It is weird to live in hope with a record like we have but I do.

Lip

I think you may be right about gambling on both Pods and Freddie but Garcia has looked pretty solid so far and I'm sure you know what I think of Pods for next year.

My biggest worry for next year is the Bullpen, but that is something that will have to wait until this year is over.

soxfanreggie
09-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Now really cheap is moving Quentin to RF, giving Pods the full time LF job and then offering Kotsay a contract to be the backup OF/1B/bench bat and not replace Dye's production at all.

I wish the money didn't factor into it, but I think you know it does and unless you know about a magic money tree you know this next off season isn't going to have a ton of free cash to play with.

If it's replacing Dye's second-half production, that shouldn't be too hard. As for the $$$, I agree. I've been saying for a while that we may have to "settle" at some positions rather than get upgrades. We may just have to hope that some cheap vets or youngsters work for us next year.

voodoochile
09-13-2009, 11:24 AM
If it's replacing Dye's second-half production, that shouldn't be too hard. As for the $$$, I agree. I've been saying for a while that we may have to "settle" at some positions rather than get upgrades. We may just have to hope that some cheap vets or youngsters work for us next year.

If they go get someone to replace Dye's second half production, they should just keep Wise...:o:

Tragg
09-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Now really cheap is moving Quentin to RF, giving Pods the full time LF job and then offering Kotsay a contract to be the backup OF/1B/bench bat and not replace Dye's production at all.
True - we really need an athletic right-fielder.
As for leadoff, I think that's secondary. If we want to re-sign Pods cheap for backup, bench, 3-4 days a week duty, fine.

voodoochile
09-13-2009, 11:42 AM
True - we really need an athletic right-fielder.
As for leadoff, I think that's secondary. If we want to re-sign Pods cheap for backup, bench, 3-4 days a week duty, fine.

I'd love to see more flexibility from the DH role. Someone who can backup at least corner OF and 1B as well as DH so the Sox could rotate DH between Quentin, PK, Pods and the new guy. If Kotsay could be counted on to actually hit then he'd be just fine, but I'd like to see a guy with at least an .850 OPS brought in (Dunn for example - but he'd have to be acquired by trade and he's expensive Bay would be the pipe dream of pipe dreams, but he's gonna break someone's bank this off season, so it seems unlikely the Sox will be able to afford him).

I think they need to add a LH power bat which is why I'd love to see Dunn. Thome would also work but strictly as a DH and that forces TCQ to RF and Pods to be an everyday LF starter so it's not the best option, IMO.

Craig Grebeck
09-13-2009, 12:16 PM
I'd love to see more flexibility from the DH role. Someone who can backup at least corner OF and 1B as well as DH so the Sox could rotate DH between Quentin, PK, Pods and the new guy. If Kotsay could be counted on to actually hit then he'd be just fine, but I'd like to see a guy with at least an .850 OPS brought in (Dunn for example - but he'd have to be acquired by trade and he's expensive Bay would be the pipe dream of pipe dreams, but he's gonna break someone's bank this off season, so it seems unlikely the Sox will be able to afford him).

I think they need to add a LH power bat which is why I'd love to see Dunn. Thome would also work but strictly as a DH and that forces TCQ to RF and Pods to be an everyday LF starter so it's not the best option, IMO.
That sounds like Nick Swisher.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Voodoo:

No question they should pick up his option, it's only for a million I believe. But Kenny shouldn't hand him the job until he sees what's on the market AND how the market is playing out economically, that's all I'm saying.

Noneck:

Like I told Kufram there are more potential options than just Figgins or Podsednik. Kenny needs to examine those again as he's done in the past. And let's face it, the Yankees are always interested in EVERY name that comes on the market...doesn't automatically mean they sign them all.

11 wins for a winning season.

Lip

voodoochile
09-13-2009, 12:37 PM
That sounds like Nick Swisher.

Yeah, it kind of does. Oh well, hopefully Nunez turns into a setup man at the worst...

Craig Grebeck
09-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah, it kind of does. Oh well, hopefully Nunez turns into a setup man at the worst...
I agree. Nothing we can do about it now but hope for the best. Maybe Marquez will be a reclamation project down the road.

VMSNS
09-13-2009, 02:05 PM
I only caught the end of the game. That call to Rivera was BS. Game should have been over right there. I would have preferred us to beat the Angels, not have the Angels beat themselves with the wild pitch.

Either way, I'll take it. A win is a win, and we need all we can get right now.

SoxFan1979
09-13-2009, 02:37 PM
lol. We're 7-3 in the last 10? Why does it feel like the opposite?

Wow you are in my mind!

kufram
09-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Voodoo:

No question they should pick up his option, it's only for a million I believe. But Kenny shouldn't hand him the job until he sees what's on the market AND how the market is playing out economically, that's all I'm saying.

Noneck:

Like I told Kufram there are more potential options than just Figgins or Podsednik. Kenny needs to examine those again as he's done in the past. And let's face it, the Yankees are always interested in EVERY name that comes on the market...doesn't automatically mean they sign them all.

11 wins for a winning season.

Lip
I guess my position is that whilst we should always pursue any player that will make a better ball club, there ain't that many true leadoffs around. Pods at least came in and did a job when we were nowhere near filling that role. I like a guy that plays like Scott Podsednik has played this year. His errors in the field are not due to lack of commitment, his base-running mistakes are outweighed by the fact that he has been on base so often and distracted pitchers, and it appears to me that he really wants a job in Chicago next year and is fighting for it. There are other guys on the team that could take a lesson from him.

Hitmen77
09-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Why?

Based on this year's attendance and barring a major run in the playoffs, odds are the Sox are going to have a payroll limit right around this year's starting level.

That means they have JD's money to pay a RF, relief pitcher and give substantial raises to Danks and Quentin who both become arb eligible this year for the first time and they still will have to give Jenks a raise too.

If Pods can be had cheap then taking him and Garcia might be as good an option as they can afford entering the season.

Now really cheap is moving Quentin to RF, giving Pods the full time LF job and then offering Kotsay a contract to be the backup OF/1B/bench bat and not replace Dye's production at all. Then they might have money to pay someone other than Freddy, but honestly this isn't like last year. Freddy isn't coming off a major injury this season like Jose was and he's not as old and fat as Colon was and there's two pitchers who are ready for a shot at that 5th slot should Garcia falter (Torres and Hudson). This last season, there was one guy (Richard) to back up both slots. I'd rather see a big bat to replace one of Dye/Thome than worry about Pods and Garcia, but that's just me.

Good points.

At first I was taking the position that the Sox should (and would) acquire a serviceable pitcher to compete for 5th starter, a RF, and a DH for 2010. We could also bring back Pods as a 4th OF. The idea was that we couldn't count on Pods repeating his performance (and lack of injuries) and we can't count on Garcia to hold up over a season.

...that's still my ideal. But the Sox probably won't have much extra money to spend this offseason. This craptacular finish to the season isn't exactly going to generate a bunch of new ticket sales and sponsorship $ are still likely an issue in this economy.

I believe now that the Sox are only going to fill one hole this offseason (either a corner OF or DH) and go with Garcia/Hudson/Torres for 5th starter and Pods in the starting lineup. Under this scenario, I'd like to see Kotsay back too.

This team has a lot of promise in 2010. We just have to hope (among other things) that Rios rebounds, Quentin is healthy again, Pods has a repeat of 09, and Garcia can still be a MLB pitcher over the duration of a season.