PDA

View Full Version : WHY is this news???

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2009, 10:14 AM
I watched the 5:30 news on WGN last night, and they did a story on a 98-year-old Cubs fan attending his first Cubs game ever. He even had a limo drop him off at the ballpark! His reason for not having attended a game in his life was because he's been "too busy working." :rolleyes:

Why the hell is this even a news story?

BleacherBandit
09-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I don't believe that he's a true Cubs fan. Before the 1980's, you could go to pretty much any game and get a reasonable seat. Something tells me that in 98 years, he might have had a chance or two to go see a Cubs game. They're just covering this because it's sweet what they're doing for this elderly man. So to a certain extent it doesn't bother me, but yeah, his story is a bit unbelievable.

voodoochile
09-12-2009, 10:24 AM
If this were a human interest story about a 98 YO Sox fan attending their first game ever, I think it would be posted in the Clubhouse and everyone would be raving about how cool it is...

BleacherBandit
09-12-2009, 10:25 AM
If this were a human interest story about a 98 YO Sox fan attending their first game ever, I think it would be posted in the Clubhouse and everyone would be raving about how cool it is...

I don't think that situation would be possible.

TommyJohn
09-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm glad you said that. You have spared many others who would rush to do so the task. Not that it'll stop them.

It's just a fluff piece, anyway.

Soxfanspcu11
09-12-2009, 10:52 AM
:chunks

Ugh

There is nothing good about this story. Each and every part of it sucks something royal.

Craig Grebeck
09-12-2009, 11:36 AM
:chunks

Ugh

There is nothing good about this story. Each and every part of it sucks something royal.
Yeah, really sucks that this 98 year old man got to enjoy himself.

Brian26
09-12-2009, 11:41 AM
His reason for not having attended a game in his life was because he's been "too busy working."

Kudos to him. Too bad more people don't have that attitude.

LITTLE NELL
09-12-2009, 11:56 AM
He was one of the 85% of Cubs fans that work mentioned by Lee Elia is his famous rant. The other 15%; well you know the rest.

WhiteSoxOnly
09-12-2009, 12:31 PM
He was one of the 85% of Cubs fans that work mentioned by Lee Elia is his famous rant. The other 15%; well you know the rest.

"They can kiss my ass right downtown and print it" ! :wink:

JB98
09-12-2009, 12:45 PM
The Cubs suck. Stories about 98-year-olds are more interesting than the team itself.

Ron Karkovice
09-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah, really sucks that this 98 year old man got to enjoy himself.

I hate when 98 year old men get to enjoy themselves.

voodoochile
09-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I hate when 98 year old men get to enjoy themselves.

Sucking up all the fun, oxygen and sunshine... rat bastards...

Rohan
09-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Kudos to him. Too bad more people don't have that attitude.

The apparent attitude of "being too busy to go to a ball game"? If everyone had that attitude there would be no entertainment industry. That would be horrid. Why would you want the world to be like that?

http://bp3.blogger.com/_14_9HsC4vZg/SHrSJ53YxRI/AAAAAAAAAnQ/Yw0v6_TIQ6s/s320/Herbert_%28Family_Guy%29.JPG

"mmmhmmmmm"

tstrike2000
09-12-2009, 02:37 PM
At least being 98 years young nothing's changed during his lifetime, the Cubs will still be watching someone else call themselves World Series champions.

TornLabrum
09-12-2009, 02:46 PM
At least being 98 years young nothing's changed during his lifetime, the Cubs will still be watching someone else call themselves World Series champions.

To me that's the entire point of the story. The last time the Cubs won the World Series was before this guy was even born, and even if he lives another 98 years, he probably won't live to see it happen during his lifetime.

BleacherBandit
09-12-2009, 02:59 PM
To me that's the entire point of the story. The last time the Cubs won the World Series was before this guy was even born, and even if he lives another 98 years, he probably won't live to see it happen during his lifetime.

Something tells me he probably wasn't watching often those 98 years if he never went to a game. If you're too busy working to go to a game chances are you're too busy working to watch those games on TV or listen to them on the radio.

DumpJerry
09-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I was out last night, so I did not see the news to see this story. Pretty cool story, in my opinion.

Who knows why it him so long to get to the Urinal. Maybe he did not live near Chicago for most of his life. Maybe he was building up his immune system. Who cares why, it's pretty cool he got there before The Trophy.

BleacherBandit
09-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I was out last night, so I did not see the news to see this story. Pretty cool story, in my opinion.

Who knows why it him so long to get to the Urinal. Maybe he did not live near Chicago for most of his life. Maybe he was building up his immune system. Who cares why, it's pretty cool he got there before The Trophy.

I'll drop all my arguments regarding this story just because of that. :D:

TDog
09-12-2009, 04:25 PM
The apparent attitude of "being too busy to go to a ball game"? If everyone had that attitude there would be no entertainment industry. That would be horrid. Why would you want the world to be like that? ...

This gets philosophical. There would certainly be art, music, theater and cinema. There would be athletes. There wouldn't be overpaid celebrities and athletes if people had their priorities in the right place. And that wouldn't be so bad.

Back on topic, I'm a huge White Sox fan. I'm certainly no Cubs fan. But I see no reason why anyone would have a problem with this story.

hi im skot
09-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Back on topic, I'm a huge White Sox fan. I'm certainly no Cubs fan. But I see no reason why anyone would have a problem with this story.

Because Sox fans always need something to complain about.

The negative reactions to this story get one of these:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/eyeroll.gif

gaelhound
09-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Just another reason it smells like a urinal!:o:

voodoochile
09-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Just another reason it smells like a urinal!:o:
Ooooo... I get it... because old people smell funny... wow... take that you old smelly Depends wearing bastards... burn on the old folks...

LMAO :rolleyes:

BleacherBandit
09-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Because Sox fans always need something to complain about.

Yeah, you chose to complain about the complainers. We're all Sox fans here. :redneck

soxfanreggie
09-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm always glad when people get to enjoy baseball, even if it's bad baseball. I do find it hard to believe that someone couldn't find a few hours to attend a game in 98 years, but maybe he has a full social calendar when has time off.

UofCSoxFan
09-12-2009, 07:06 PM
I personally question how big of a fan you are if you haven't been to a game in 98 years. I understand not everyone lives in Chicago, or near a city where there team plays, but 98 years is a long ****ing time to find time to go to a game and save up a few bucks to make it happen.

Ron Karkovice
09-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I personally question how big of a fan you are if you haven't been to a game in 98 years. I understand not everyone lives in Chicago, or near a city where there team plays, but 98 years is a long ****ing time to find time to go to a game and save up a few bucks to make it happen.

he's a bigger fan than you'll ever be!

sullythered
09-13-2009, 11:02 AM
We're all missing the big question here: what the hell does this guy do for a living?!

He has worked, presumably from childhood, every single day there has been a Cubs game played at Wrigley up until last week, at 98 friggin' years old! Most people retire around 65! Is this dude Peter Griffin's father, or something?

SOXSINCE'70
09-13-2009, 11:26 AM
"They can kiss my ass right downtown and print it" ! :wink:

"They're really,really behind you around here;my ****ing ass!!":D:

TDog
09-13-2009, 05:30 PM
We're all missing the big question here: what the hell does this guy do for a living?!

He has worked, presumably from childhood, every single day there has been a Cubs game played at Wrigley up until last week, at 98 friggin' years old! Most people retire around 65! Is this dude Peter Griffin's father, or something?

There are a lot of baseball fans who have never been to a major league baseball game. Granted, it's more common for football fans to never have been to an NFL game, baseball being more accessible.

The man who wrote the lyrics to Take Me Out to the Ballgame in 1908 didn't go to a major league baseball game until the 1940. And that was a big story at the time.

Dick Allen
09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
The fact that it was WGN pretty much says it all.

thomas35forever
09-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Except that the Titanic is now at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Railsplitter
09-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Why was Oprah's shindig news? Why does Chicago's channel 7 have "Celebrity Scene" on it's 4:30 news? Why do we get so much irrelevant fluff on local TV news?

The 98 year old's first trip to Wrigley is no different from any of that other junk news story.

Johnny Mostil
09-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Something tells me he probably wasn't watching often those 98 years if he never went to a game. If you're too busy working to go to a game chances are you're too busy working to watch those games on TV or listen to them on the radio.

When were Cub games first broadcast on radio or TV? I'm guessing a good part of his life he couldn't have followed baseball on radio or TV even if he wanted to do so.

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2009, 01:25 PM
When were Cub games first broadcast on radio or TV? I'm guessing a good part of his life he couldn't have followed baseball on radio or TV even if he wanted to do so.Sox and Cubs games were on WGN pretty much as far back as I can remember, and I'm 60. They were certainly on in the mid-1950's, so we're talking about at least 55 years.

FielderJones
09-14-2009, 02:04 PM
When were Cub games first broadcast on radio or TV? I'm guessing a good part of his life he couldn't have followed baseball on radio or TV even if he wanted to do so.

Both Cubs (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/history/broadcasters.jsp) and Sox (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/history/broadcasters.jsp) broadcasting began on radio in 1924.

TDog
09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Sox and Cubs games were on WGN pretty much as far back as I can remember, and I'm 60. They were certainly on in the mid-1950's, so we're talking about at least 55 years.

Radio recreation of baseball games, go back to the infancy of commercial radio in the 1920s. KDKA in Pittsburgh, the first radio station, broadcast the Pirates and the 1921 World Series. Ronald Reagan got his start re-creating Cubs games for an Iowa radio station, I believe. Announcers used to get the accounts of the game by telegraph and simulate the sounds of the action.

The Cubs in 1935 were the first team (at least in a two- or three-team city as most teams were in those days) to broadcast all of their games home and away, on the now late WMAQ. Prior to that, there had been an agreement not to broadcast road games in such cities to limit competition.

Television wasn't around after World War II, but there was Chicago baseball on television pretty much from the start. I was going through some 1948 Chicago Tribunes in college and found that baseball (whichever team was playing at home) was a staple of early television programming in Chicago. My White Sox media guides are packed in boxes, but there should be a listing of what radio and television affiliates they have had year-by-year. I'm sure it goes back to the 1920s and 1940s respectively.

FielderJones
09-14-2009, 02:14 PM
My White Sox media guides are packed in boxes, but there should be a listing of what radio and television affiliates they have had year-by-year. I'm sure it goes back to the 1920s and 1940s respectively.

There is. :wink:

Both Cubs (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/history/broadcasters.jsp) and Sox (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/history/broadcasters.jsp) broadcasting began on radio in 1924.

Johnny Mostil
09-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Sox and Cubs games were on WGN pretty much as far back as I can remember, and I'm 60. They were certainly on in the mid-1950's, so we're talking about at least 55 years.

Well, OK, but going back to the comment I was referencing, the fan in question couldn't listen to a baseball game on radio until he was 15, and couldn't watch a game on TV until his 30s or 40s. And that's assuming his family owned a radio or television as soon as they were widely and commercially available. (My own grandparents didn't own a TV until the late 1960s, but I understand that's an exception.) I consider 15 to 30 years to be "a good part of his life."

eriqjaffe
09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
There is. :wink:I like how that site lists Ed Farmer by himself since 2006. :rolleyes:

TornLabrum
09-14-2009, 08:34 PM

Cubs and Sox games were first broadcast on radio in 1924. They both were shown on Channel 9 in 1948.

soxinem1
09-14-2009, 08:38 PM
I watched the 5:30 news on WGN last night, and they did a story on a 98-year-old Cubs fan attending his first Cubs game ever. He even had a limo drop him off at the ballpark! His reason for not having attended a game in his life was because he's been "too busy working." :rolleyes:

Why the hell is this even a news story?

He definitely is a fan of the wrong team. Who works a job and goes to cub day games? :D:

LongLiveFisk
09-14-2009, 08:57 PM
He's been smart for 98 years and he blows it NOW?!?

I'd say that's newsworthy! :lol:

C-Dawg
09-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Its only in the news for the same reason they ran a story a few years ago about a guy who supposedly just came in from a walk all the way from the west coast, arriving at Wrigley Field just in time to come in and throw out the first pitch. The footage showed him appearing through those outfield doors and strolling up to the pitcher's mound. No other details; no film of him braving the heat of the desert or a blinding snowstorm somewhere. Just their word that he'd walked for months and thousands of miles to get to Wrigley Field. Nothing to substantiate it. A fluff story.

eriqjaffe
09-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Just their word that he'd walked for months and thousands of miles to get to Wrigley Field. Nothing to substantiate it. A fluff story.I knew parking around there was tough, but really...

Woofer
09-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Its only in the news for the same reason they ran a story a few years ago about a guy who supposedly just came in from a walk all the way from the west coast, arriving at Wrigley Field just in time to come in and throw out the first pitch. The footage showed him appearing through those outfield doors and strolling up to the pitcher's mound. No other details; no film of him braving the heat of the desert or a blinding snowstorm somewhere. Just their word that he'd walked for months and thousands of miles to get to Wrigley Field. Nothing to substantiate it. A fluff story.

IIRC, he was walking to raise money to fund finding a cure for diabetes. A noble effort.

C-Dawg
09-16-2009, 01:58 PM
IIRC, he was walking to raise money to fund finding a cure for diabetes. A noble effort.

Which is fine; I have no problem with that.

The funny thing was, the guy was about 300 pounds and looked like he just got up from the couch for the stroll in through the outfield. My dad, who is 78 and can't really see very well, stared at the TV and said "What a crock! That guy hasn't walked a mile in his life!"

I still find it hard to believe the guy walked in from the west coast. Not without proof. Same with the 98-year old guy; its a nice story.