PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter appreciation thread

Whitesox029
09-12-2009, 02:48 AM
I don't know how other Sox fans feel about this guy, but personally, I consider him a class act and a true legend of the game, right up there with Ruth, Gehrig, Aaron, Mays, etc. There was once a time when I didn't like him, but I think he has matured greatly since then, and I have as much respect for him as I do for anyone else in the game today.

Congrats, Derek, on passing Lou Gehrig on the all-time Yankees hit list. You're a first ballot hall-of-famer and a great representative of the game I love.

LITTLE NELL
09-12-2009, 06:37 AM
I agree, Jeter is a class act and I congratulate him.
The amazing thing is that with all the great players that have put on the Yankee pinstripes, not one has 3000 hits.
Of course the White Sox don't either but then again we are'nt the Yankees.

soltrain21
09-12-2009, 06:51 AM
My baseball respect drops down a few pegs for people that tell me they hate Derek Jeter. What a classy, respectful guy.

LITTLE NELL
09-12-2009, 06:53 AM
My baseball respect drops down a few pegs for people that tell me they hate Derek Jeter. What a classy, respectful guy.
If he was on the Cubs, I would not like him very much.

soltrain21
09-12-2009, 06:54 AM
If he was on the Cubs, I would not like him very much.

I like Derrek Lee just fine.

southside rocks
09-12-2009, 09:22 AM
I don't know how other Sox fans feel about this guy, but personally, I consider him a class act and a true legend of the game, right up there with Ruth, Gehrig, Aaron, Mays, etc. There was once a time when I didn't like him, but I think he has matured greatly since then, and I have as much respect for him as I do for anyone else in the game today.

Congrats, Derek, on passing Lou Gehrig on the all-time Yankees hit list. You're a first ballot hall-of-famer and a great representative of the game I love.

I second this. Derek Jeter plays the game the way it should be played and he is a credit to his ballclub, his family, and his teachers.

soxpride724
09-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Contrats Jeet.

munchman33
09-12-2009, 09:51 AM

I dislike Jeter. Mostly because he's a Yankee. But I also hate the rangeless wonder because of the false impression he's ever been anything better than bottom of the league defensively.

Oblong
09-12-2009, 10:01 AM
I dislike Jeter. Mostly because he's a Yankee. But I also hate the rangeless wonder because of the false impression he's ever been anything better than bottom of the league defensively.

I agree that his defense is overrated, until this year. This year he's been quite good. But I also don't hold that against Jeter. I don't like the slobbering that goes on over him by people like Steve Phillips. They credit him for everything short of the good weather.

That said, I'm coming around on Jeter as a ballplayer. He's having probably his finest year. He's classy. I never see him mouthing off in the media, causing problems, or any off the field crap. Granted ballplayers, or anybody, shouldn't get credit for not being a jerk, but in terms of superstars you don't really hear much of a peep out of him.

I won't hold it against him if others overrated him. But I also think he's underrated by his detractors as well.

He's a sure fire HOFer, and should be.

WhiteSox5187
09-12-2009, 10:47 AM

I don't watch the Yankees that much (but it is clear he has lost a step of late) but while he was never an Omar Visquel he didn't exactly hurt you with his defense either. He is a very very good shortstop.

doublem23
09-12-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't watch the Yankees that much (but it is clear he has lost a step of late) but while he was never an Omar Visquel he didn't exactly hurt you with his defense either. He is a very very good shortstop.

No he's not.

He may not make the mental mistakes some guys would have, but his range and arm are, at best, mediocre. Jeter is an average SS, but since he wears Yankees pinstripes, everyone treats him like a Gold Glover.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I have nothing but contempt for him when he's between the white lines. Anyone who tells you "oh you have to respect Jeter!" is being a tool. It's sports, people. You're allowed to hate players irrationally. Jeter sucks.

Paulwny
09-12-2009, 11:27 AM
No he's not.

He may not make the mental mistakes some guys would have, but his range and arm are, at best, mediocre. Jeter is an average SS, but since he wears Yankees pinstripes, everyone treats him like a Gold Glover.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I have nothing but contempt for him when he's between the white lines. Anyone who tells you "oh you have to respect Jeter!" is being a tool. It's sports, people. You're allowed to hate players irrationally. Jeter sucks.

Thank You, I couldn't have said it better.
I never liked any player when they wore NY pinstripes.

dickallen15
09-12-2009, 11:40 AM
No he's not.

Doesn't he have an excellent UZR rating this year? Jeter has been and still is a great player. If he were a White Sox, the haters on here would be lovers.

DSpivack
09-12-2009, 11:54 AM
No he's not.

I don't care what players do off the field, as long as they're not criminals. I'll take A-Rod over Jeter, and at SS, any day.

thomas35forever
09-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Jeter is the most-liked Yankee for a reason: he's very humble. Congrats on his accomplishment.

cards press box
09-12-2009, 12:26 PM

Some commentators say that Jeter's defense has been a little better this year but, over his career, his defense has been below average. I have heard Yankee fans complain about his lack of range and the ground balls not far to his left or right that always get by him. I still don't understand why the Yankees did not move him to 2B when they acquired A-Rod.

Having said all that, Jeter can really hit well.

doublem23
09-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Doesn't he have an excellent UZR rating this year? Jeter has been and still is a great player. If he were a White Sox, the haters on here would be lovers.

I never said Jeter isn't a great player, or that I wouldn't want him on the Sox. But you can't argue that he if weren't a Yankee, he wouldn't get nearly all the accolades he gets.

But like I said, in the sports world, you're allowed to unleash all your primal emotions you need to keep in check in the polite "real" world. I can ****in' hate him for no reason other than he's a god damn Yankee and every half-wit sports commentator can't help but slob all over the guy. **** him. Same way I feel about guys like Brett Favre, Tim Tebow, or now Maggs. I'm sure they're all good guys in real life, but they wear the wrong uniform. So they suck.

P.S. Defensive statistics are as much bull**** as VORP (which is a lot of bull****).

munchman33
09-12-2009, 01:49 PM
i never said jeter isn't a great player, or that i wouldn't want him on the sox. But you can't argue that he if weren't a yankee, he wouldn't get nearly all the accolades he gets.

But like i said, in the sports world, you're allowed to unleash all your primal emotions you need to keep in check in the polite "real" world. I can ****in' hate him for no reason other than he's a god damn yankee and every half-wit sports commentator can't help but slob all over the guy. **** him. Same way i feel about guys like brett favre, tim tebow, or now maggs. I'm sure they're all good guys in real life, but they wear the wrong uniform. So they suck.

+1

soxfanreggie
09-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Jeter is a guy that I would love to have on the Sox, not just for his skills, but for the way he plays the game and his leadership. He is a player that I want our future guys learning from.

Congrats Derek!

fram40
09-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Because he played for the Yankees - I despise Derek Jeter. I booed his ass last month when I went to one of the Yankees' games and a Yankee fan gave me **** about it. Too bad - I booed him because I hate the Yankees and Derek Jeter is the Yankees. Booing Derek Jeter is the ultimate sign of respect. **** him. I hate the Yankees.

On the other hand - Derek Jeter is one of the greatest players of his generation. Truly - one of the greatest in my lifetime. He has four WS rings and he was an integral part of all four teams. Just listen to other players talk about him - each and every player speaks more highly about Jeter than anybody else. All of them.

Derek Jeter is a great ballplayer and if all players were like him, professional sports would be a lot more enjoyable. He plays the game hard all the time, he never showboats, he never shows up a competitor. He never mugs for the cameras or the highlights shows. He plays hard, he plays to win, and he treats the game and his competitors with respect.

I congratulate Derek Jeter on his accomplishment. To pass Lou Gehrig - one of baseball's immortals - is an incredible milestone. (how else to phrase it?)

Nellie_Fox
09-13-2009, 12:41 AM
First of all, how many of you would have believed that no one ever got 3000 hits in a Yankees uniform? I know I wouldn't.

Second, would there be this big of a deal made if a player on ANY OTHER TEAM broke his team's career hits record? You know the answer.

Johnny Mostil
09-13-2009, 06:41 AM
First of all, how many of you would have believed that no one ever got 3000 hits in a Yankees uniform? I know I wouldn't.

Second, would there be this big of a deal made if a player on ANY OTHER TEAM broke his team's career hits record? You know the answer.

I've known the first for quite some time. But probably only because my dad and his dad were Yankee fans.

As for the second, yep, you're right. In fact, there are few teams for which I could even name the career hits leader.

WSox597
09-13-2009, 07:11 AM

You're right. I didn't know the Yankees had no player with 3000 hits until now. Without immersing myself in the record book, I would have figured they had three or four. Mantle or Joe DiMaggio come to mind.

Yes, it would have been a big deal for any other team when a team record was broken, not just the Yankees.

Most teams didn't have players of the caliber of Lou Gehrig in the first place. To beat one of his records is really special.

I wish the Sox would have had Jeeter all these years. Look at some of the mutts we've had at shortstop during his career with the Yankees. Most of us can't even name most of them, that's how memorable they were.

#1swisher
09-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Congratulations, Jeter on your 3000th!:gulp:

Bobby Thigpen
09-13-2009, 12:09 PM
It doesn't surprise me the Yankees don't have any 3000 hits guys. They've never had many great average hitters that played for a very, very long time. Mantle didn't play long enough and was more of a power guy. Same with Ruth. None of the 70s guys were around long enough.

If anyone would've hit 3000 on the Yankees I would've guessed it to be Gehrig or DiMaggio or Berra. Berra hit for a pretty good clip and he was around a long time. But they just haven't had that long time, solid, singles/doubles hitter. They've had crushers.

Marqhead
09-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Congratulations, Jeter on your 3000th!:gulp:

:scratch: He's not quite there yet...

Nellie_Fox
09-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Yes, it would have been a big deal for any other team when a team record was broken, not just the Yankees. No, it wouldn't. Name any other time that they've talked about somebody nearing a team record (not a league or MLB record, just a team record) for days and days beforehand, and did constant updates during their games. You can't name one. And it's because they're not the Yankees.

WhiteSox5187
09-14-2009, 12:24 AM
No, it wouldn't. Name any other time that they've talked about somebody nearing a team record (not a league or MLB record, just a team record) for days and days beforehand, and did constant updates during their games. You can't name one. And it's because they're not the Yankees.

If someone broke the Red Sox all time hit leader it would be a big deal on ESPN. But other wise...no.

Big D
09-14-2009, 12:39 AM
No, it wouldn't. Name any other time that they've talked about somebody nearing a team record (not a league or MLB record, just a team record) for days and days beforehand, and did constant updates during their games. You can't name one. And it's because they're not the Yankees.

Well let's face it, the Yankees are the most storied franchise in baseball. They've had so many great players that if you set a Yankees hit record, you really have accomplished something (though Gehrig got sick in the prime of his career, and DiMaggio missed a few years during WWII). Somebody breaking a Florida Marlins franchise record really isn't that newsworthy.

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2009, 12:45 AM
They've had so many great players that if you set a Yankees hit record, you really have accomplished somethingThen why is the hits record so low?
(though Gehrig got sick in the prime of his career, and DiMaggio missed a few years during WWII).And that has happened to players on lots of teams. Don't compare it to the Marlins. That's just foolish. Compare it to the other teams that have been around a long time. The Sox career hits record is held by Appling. Do you really think they'll make a national news story out of it for days on end when someone approaches it? I don't. It will be a mention on the day it happens, and that's it.

Big D
09-14-2009, 02:18 AM
Then why is the hits record so low?

Because most of their great hitters over the years have been home run hitters, and the ones with high batting averages had relatively shorter careers for various reasons. It certainly hasn't seemed to hurt them over the years. It's probably safe to say that the Yankees have had more great hitters over their history than the White Sox (or any other team) has had.

And that has happened to players on lots of teams. Don't compare it to the Marlins. That's just foolish. Compare it to the other teams that have been around a long time. The Sox career hits record is held by Appling. Do you really think they'll make a national news story out of it for days on end when someone approaches it? I don't. It will be a mention on the day it happens, and that's it.More people care about the Yankees nationally than the White Sox, that's just a fact. Do you really think ESPN has some deep-rooted hatred of the White Sox? They talk about the teams that are the most popular nationally, and those are the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs. All you have to do is go to the Cell when the Sox play one of those teams, and you'll usually see plenty of the other team's fans there. The same is true at pretty much every other ballpark around the big leagues. I don't know why people have such a hard time accepting this. Who gives a **** what ESPN says, anyways? Combine the storied history of the Yankees with the interest they attract nationally, and it's a big story. A Cub setting the franchise hit record probably wouldn't be as big a deal, simply because the Cubs have been awful for much of their history.

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Because most of their great hitters over the years have been home run hitters, and the ones with high batting averages had relatively shorter careers for various reasons. It certainly hasn't seemed to hurt them over the years. It's probably safe to say that the Yankees have had more great hitters over their history than the White Sox (or any other team) has had.

More people care about the Yankees nationally than the White Sox, that's just a fact. Do you really think ESPN has some deep-rooted hatred of the White Sox? They talk about the teams that are the most popular nationally, and those are the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs. All you have to do is go to the Cell when the Sox play one of those teams, and you'll usually see plenty of the other team's fans there. The same is true at pretty much every other ballpark around the big leagues. I don't know why people have such a hard time accepting this. Who gives a **** what ESPN says, anyways? Combine the storied history of the Yankees with the interest they attract nationally, and it's a big story. A Cub setting the franchise hit record probably wouldn't be as big a deal, simply because the Cubs have been awful for much of their history.All you've done is prove my point, that they wouldn't be doing this if it were any other team.

#1swisher
09-14-2009, 10:45 AM
:scratch: He's not quite there yet...

:tongue:I thought it said prediction thread

Madscout
09-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Class act, respects the game, is a team player (though it is easy if you are in his situation), great hitter, was a great defender. I can find no fault with him, except that he is a ****in' Yankee.

jabrch
09-14-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't know how other Sox fans feel about this guy, but personally, I consider him a class act and a true legend of the game, right up there with Ruth, Gehrig, Aaron, Mays, etc.

I'm not anti-Jeter, but he isn't anywhere close to those guys.

khan
09-14-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't know how other Sox fans feel about this guy, but personally, I consider him a class act and a true legend of the game, right up there with Ruth, Gehrig, Aaron, Mays, etc.
Holy ****ing ****. Do you ACTUALLY believe this? Or are you [no offense, but] a mouthbreathing moron that's watched too much ****ing ESPN for his own ****ing good?

So what you're saying is that if there was an "MLB all time team" that you'd draft Derek ****ING Jeter 5th after Ruth, Gehrig, Aaron, and Mays? Ahead of Cy Young?

I like Jeter's game too, but MAN are you a bit over the top. You lost me with the bolded part.

Mod edit: Saying "no offense, but" and then saying something offensive doesn't cut it. Consider this a warning for a personal attack.