View Full Version : Top Off-Season SP

Lip Man 1
09-11-2009, 05:12 PM
From Jayson Stark:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=4462509

Lip

Madscout
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Which of these guys do you look at? Depending on health and money, I look at Webb. I think he would do well in our park, but he's an ace and we have one of those.

The Milkman
09-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Which of these guys do you look at? Depending on health and money, I look at Webb. I think he would do well in our park, but he's an ace and we have one of those.

Let's collect them.

oeo
09-11-2009, 06:15 PM

We don't need another SP. We have other holes to fill. Freddy can start the year at #5, and then Hudson can take over if/when Freddy has problems. Peavy-Buehrle-Danks-Floyd-Garcia/Hudson has to be the best rotation in the AL. We're already Top 3 this year, and we've had Richard, Contreras, Colon, Torres, and Garcia all at the bottom of the rotation.

Marqhead
09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Lackey is far and away the best of the group, and i"m sure he'll be vastly over paid as a result.

I'm not sure how I feel about our #5 slot next season at this point. I don't know if I trust Freddy to stay healthy/reliable, and I don't know a lot about Hudson either. Guess the next 4 weeks will help sort that out.

Hitmen77
09-11-2009, 10:07 PM
With the way Garcia has pitched for us and the way Hudson has progressed through the minors, I just don't see the Sox going after a free agent SP this offseason.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the smartest move. It certainly has its risks. I'm saying this is what the Sox will likely do. My guess is that they'll go with Garcia, Hudson, and Torres as candidates for the 5th spot.

We really don't know what the Sox payroll budget will be for next year, but it won't be unlimited. They've already sunk a ton of money into Peavy and Rios. That might put us at our payroll limit for all I know. Even if it doesn't, We may have 2 holes to fill in our lineup (unless they expect to with Pods and/or Dye as starters next year). Any payroll flexibility will go toward those spots.

Brian26
09-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Sort of makes the Peavy acquisition look even better.

Madscout
09-13-2009, 01:45 PM
We don't need another SP. We have other holes to fill. Freddy can start the year at #5, and then Hudson can take over if/when Freddy has problems. Peavy-Buehrle-Danks-Floyd-Garcia/Hudson has to be the best rotation in the AL. We're already Top 3 this year, and we've had Richard, Contreras, Colon, Torres, and Garcia all at the bottom of the rotation.
Take the example of the Red Sox this year, you can never have enough starting pitching. You can never have enough pitching in general. I'm not suggesting the Sox go off and go after Webb, but if he can be had for a nominal fee (which isn't going to happen) why the hell not (if he is healthy).

JermaineDye05
09-13-2009, 02:42 PM
If the Mariners are really considering trading King Felix (I think this is insane), he could be the biggest name and best SP on the move this offseason. If I may be permitted a pun, Seattle should get a King's ransom for him.

Rohan
09-13-2009, 07:07 PM
What's the scoop on Brad Penny?
I like his stuff... A lot...

Clembasbal
09-13-2009, 07:26 PM
I bet some of these guys sign for big money because they are "they best out there." Sad, but that's baseball. Then again, hopefully this is the year salaries come back down to earth.

soxfanreggie
09-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Some of these guys will bank more $$$ than they would normally get, just because you have teams like the Yankees and Red Sox who will shell out anything to upgrade.

If we're on a limited budget, SP is not an area I would focus on upgrading right now. I think between Garcia, Torres, and Hudson, we can have a serviceable 5th starter. If none of them is working, there is always a trading for someone during the season. We really need to focus on some other areas first.

asboog
09-14-2009, 05:33 PM
What's the scoop on Brad Penny?
I like his stuff... A lot...

So do most AL hitters.

GAsoxfan
09-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Webb is the only pitcher I would even consider, and then only if the D-backs decline his option. If he would sign an incentive-laden deal, I think he's worth the risk. Otherwise, I'd roll with Garcia, Hudson, and Torres.

gobears1987
09-15-2009, 10:57 AM
I think we have two of those.

DSpivack
09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Webb is the only pitcher I would even consider, and then only if the D-backs decline his option. If he would sign an incentive-laden deal, I think he's worth the risk. Otherwise, I'd roll with Garcia, Hudson, and Torres.

At this point I think the DBacks pick up his option. If they don't, I wonder what he gets in the open market, considering his health status. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs a one-year, incentive-laden deal. Some team might also give him big bucks, with his career numbers.

09-15-2009, 02:18 PM
What's the deal with Ben Sheets? I know his shoulder was hamburger meat, but we could offer an incentive deal and turn him into a Chris Carpenter type of signing.

Goose
09-15-2009, 02:40 PM

I guess we have reached our quota?

Foulke You
09-15-2009, 05:47 PM
What's the deal with Ben Sheets? I know his shoulder was hamburger meat, but we could offer an incentive deal and turn him into a Chris Carpenter type of signing.
I was surprised his name wasn't on the list too. I would have to think he would be healthy by Spring Training of '10? There hasn't been much talk about him though.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Didn't Sheets sign a deal with Texas?

Lip

oeo
09-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Didn't Sheets sign a deal with Texas?

Lip

He failed his physical so it never happened, IIRC.

SOXSINCE'70
09-15-2009, 09:14 PM
He's an ace and we have one of those.

"You can never have enough aces."

:KW