09-09-2009, 11:01 PM
There's a finish for ya.

soxnut1018
09-09-2009, 11:03 PM
C'MON ALEXEI!!! :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

KnightSox
09-09-2009, 11:03 PM
6.5 gb, lets keep some pressure on this weekend.

salty99
09-09-2009, 11:04 PM
6.5 gb, lets get another tomorrow!

What a nap? There is no game.

LoveYourSuit
CPD vs CFD on Saturday might be a better game to the attend at the cell than this junk.

We take the win, I guess.

shingo10
YES!

Thank you Kansas City, Thank you A.J.

ramblinsoxfan11
i left in the ninth and got back to my apartment in time to watch them win it:D:

Go White Sox!!!!

Woofer
09-09-2009, 11:05 PM
It would be friggin awesome to make these last 20ish games really interesting. Keep up the good work, White Sox.

Dub25
I had tix tonight but instead stayed home for an online fantasy football draft. I'm a dork.

KnightSox
I caught it right after I posted it. Time for bed.

oeo
09-09-2009, 11:06 PM

But the Tigers do play, so we can get a half game. Help us out again, KC?

sweet deal. It's nice to beat the crappy teams.

soxfanreggie
Called an "AJ Moment". Glad at least someone on the team remembered how to hit tonight with a runner on.

We gained a game, and that's the best thing we can ask for in a day. Hopefully with Gavin, John, and MB pitching this weekend, we can see some good stuff.

35th and Shields
It's not until it's over.

#1swisher
09-09-2009, 11:07 PM
I need to see Alexei run those bases again!
I love a WIN!

illinifan1368
09-09-2009, 11:07 PM
CPD vs CFD on Saturday might be a better game to the attend at the cell than this junk.

We take the win, I guess.
Take your debbie downer business elsewhere. Peavy is starting Tuesday night and we are gonna make a run.

spongyfungy
09-09-2009, 11:08 PM
1^4 = 1

Konerko05
09-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Happy they won, but that game should have never went into extra innings.

Thornton takes the game to the 8th inning with two outs against a righty.

Guillen can either bring in his established closer who shuts RH hitters down with a .196 opponents BA or,

bring in his inconsistent middle reliever who has been getting absolutely lit up by RH hitters.

Bringing Pena in to face one hitter was not only pointless, but it was the wrong move.

Guillen obviously doesn't have a problem pitching Jenks for more than one inning as he pitched the 9th and 10th today. I wish Guillen wouldn't be so scared to pitch Jenks in non-prototypical closer situations.

Brian26
09-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Nothing wrong with Alexei's play there. He was standing on 2nd base waiting to see if that ball was going to be caught. He went as far as he could while still being able to get back to 1st if it was caught at the wall.

illinifan1368
09-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Happy they won, but that game should have never went into extra innings.

Thornton takes the game to the 8th inning with two outs against a righty.

Guillen can either bring in his established closer who shuts RH hitters down with a .196 opponents BA or,

bring in his inconsistent middle reliever who has been getting absolutely lit up by RH hitters.

Bringing Pena in to face one hitter was not only pointless, but it was the wrong move.

Guillen obviously doesn't have a problem pitching Jenks for more than one inning as he pitched the 9th and 10th today. I wish Guillen wouldn't be so scared to pitch Jenks in non-prototypical closer situations.
Ozzie can't handle a bullpen and it's no secret. As much as I want to rant about it, it will just get shot down by the Ozzie-lovers. I'll save my breath.

Lip Man 1
Ozzie loves his "matchup's" Thornton should have stayed in to face the right hander, period. But remember Ozzie learned at the feet of the match-up master, Tony LaRussa.

12 wins to a winning season.

Lip

JB98
I do not expect the team to make a run, but it is nice to have a winning homestand.

salty99
09-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Nothing wrong with Alexei's play there. He was standing on 2nd base waiting to see if that ball was going to be caught. He went as far as he could while still being able to get back to 1st if it was caught at the wall.

Agreed. He didn't want to pull a "Hariston." Another great outing from Freddy.

guillensdisciple
09-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Just get within 4 before we meet the Tigers- that is all I ask, and is not impossible.

We forget that the Tigers are also very mediocre.

salty99
09-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Ozzie loves his "matchup's" Thornton should have stayed in to face the right hander, period. But remember Ozzie learned at the feet of the match-up master, Tony LaRussa.

Lip

Yes, that was ridiculous especially since right handers are hitting around .315 against Pena.

BadBobbyJenks
09-09-2009, 11:13 PM

Well except for being completely lost and not knowing where the ball was.

#1swisher
09-09-2009, 11:14 PM

Lip

That number doesn't sound impossible:bandance:

Brian26
09-09-2009, 11:17 PM

He appeared to know what was happening. He was staring at the CF waiting to see if the ball was going to drop. I would have done the same thing he did. You can't commit any farther towards 3B there.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Take your debbie downer business elsewhere. Peavy is starting Tuesday night and we are gonna make a run.

Debbie Downer?

Take a look at the "Don't Stop Believing" thread. I was one of the few still pulling for this clown car.

Last night's deflating letdown took the wind out of my sails.

illinifan1368
09-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Debbie Downer?

Take a look at the "Don't Stop Believing" thread. I was one of the few still pulling for this clown car.

Last night's deflating letdown took the wind out of my sails.
Your post was a debbie downer post, regardless of what you said yesterday in a different thread. :rolleyes:

kidmccarthy
09-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Wow, Scott Hairston is bad at baseball. What a bonehead. But well take it. If Freddy is truly gonna be this consistent, watch out! Good win, FINALLY.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Your post was a debbie downer post, regardless of what you said yesterday in a different thread. :rolleyes:

Cry me a river :rolleyes:

I hope you don't lose sleep over my post.

Frankfan4life
09-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Strange game. Loved the deke by Getz. Hairston was flat-out hilarious (only the Sox could look worse on the basepaths). We also got the benefit of some questionable umpire calls for a change (we were due). It was great seeing another team play Sox baseball.

Oh, and thanks KC! :bandance:

illinifan1368
09-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Strange game. Loved the deke by Getz. Hairston was flat-out hilarious (only the Sox could look worse on the basepaths). We also got the benefit of some questionable umpire calls for a change (we were due). It was great seeing another team play Sox baseball.

Oh, and thanks KC! :bandance:
The deke by Getz was AWESOME

#1swisher
Ozzie said in the post game." he doesn't get too mad in baseball but today was very frustrating"

cws05champ
The highlight for me... Rios making that AWSOME play in CF, dropping the can O' Corn. BA would have had it!

An 8 out of the next 10 or so would not suck either....

Gavin
09-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Move over Daley, Ozzie oughta be da new mare of Chicago after bringing da Sox to 1 game under 0.500 on September 9th! Alert the parade committee!

Frankfan4life
09-09-2009, 11:34 PM
The highlight for me... Rios making that AWSOME play in CF, dropping the can O' Corn. BA would have had it!

An 8 out of the next 10 or so would not suck either....I almost forgot about the Rios blunder. Obviously, Rios knows that we MUST make a stupid error in every game. :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
09-09-2009, 11:37 PM
i left in the ninth and got back to my apartment in time to watch them win it:D:

Go White Sox!!!!
I stayed until the end. :cool:

I never thought I'd bring my attendance record to respectability after starting off quite badly.

Can everyone believe there is just ONE more homestand left?

Frankfan4life
09-09-2009, 11:41 PM

I never thought I'd bring my attendance record to respectability after starting off quite badly.

Can everyone believe there is just ONE more homestand left?What a fan! You're alright in my book. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy088.gif

twinsuck
09-09-2009, 11:44 PM

Can everyone believe there is just ONE more homestand left?
I'm kinda ready for this season to end. It has been a rollercoaster. But I know once it ends the next day I'll be thinking about next season.

Zisk77
09-09-2009, 11:45 PM
A.J. never comes up with a big hit. He also can't throw either.

kittle42
09-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Ozzie loves his "matchup's".

...and I love my misused apostrophes!

Why in the world does everyone want to put an apostrophe before every ****ing "s" at the end of a word?

Frankfan4life
09-09-2009, 11:46 PM
The deke by Getz was AWESOMEEvery time I think about that play, I laugh. I predict that that and the "Cmon Alexei" will become instant classics.

cards press box
09-09-2009, 11:47 PM
It's not until it's over.

No, it's not over yet. But to make things interesting, the Sox need to trim the lead to at 4 games before they face Detroit. If the Sox can do that, then the last two weeks could be great, especially if Peavy is back in the rotation.

illinifan1368
09-09-2009, 11:53 PM

Lip

Why in the world does everyone want to put an apostrophe before every ****ing "s" at the end of a word?

Everyone? Every word? Like the 2 words he typed before "matchup's" [sic]?

We won, be happy :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
09-09-2009, 11:56 PM
What a fan! You're alright in my book. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy088.gif
It's an easier decision to stay until the end when you live 1 mile from the ballpark. :cool:

The crowd during extra innings reminded me of a Sox/KC crowd from the mid-to-late 90s. It was quite an eerie feeling!

SBSoxFan
09-10-2009, 12:00 AM
What a poorly played game on both sides. Oakland used 8 pitchers?! The Sox were 1-16 with RISP?!

But hey, a win's a win --- 6 of 8 yet they've only gained 1 game on Detroit and 2 on Minnesota during that time?!

Give us a finish! :bandance:

hawkjt
09-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Ozzie was pissed at Pena afterwards, you could see that. Felt bad for Freddy.

The Tigers tried to land the knockout punch with their 6 game winning streak and staggered the Sox and Twins, but the Sox and Twins are off the ropes, still moving a bit,fending them off, hanging around...and the Sox might just get a second wind and the tigers might start to tighten up. I think they face Greinke tomorrow....c'mon KC.

Frankfan4life
09-10-2009, 12:21 AM
It's an easier decision to stay until the end when you live 1 mile from the ballpark. :cool:

The crowd during extra innings reminded me of a Sox/KC crowd from the mid-to-late 90s. It was quite an eerie feeling!I should have checked your sig. :redface: Nevertheless, I'm glad the Sox made it worth your while.

TDog
09-10-2009, 01:14 AM
He appeared to know what was happening. He was staring at the CF waiting to see if the ball was going to drop. I would have done the same thing he did. You can't commit any farther towards 3B there.

A's television showed the replay about five times, and I find it hard to believe anyone finds fault with that play. I think it was clear Ramirez ran to second, having run with the pitch, to wait to see of the ball would be caught. He was watching Davis as much as the ball. Fortunately, Davis didn't get to it while giving no indication that he wouldn't catch it, letting the ball take a long bounce off the wall. Davis probably unintentionally duped Ramirez into thinking he had a shot at the ball. As soon as the ball hit the wall, though, the A's play-by-play man said, "the White Sox are going to win the game."

I actually caught the game in the eighth inning after getting home. (Lucky me, I didn't have anywhere to go Tuesday night.) Scott Hairston was the goat for the A's late. He popped out with runners on first and third and one out before failing to get to second on Rios' error and then not getting back to first on the foul popup the next time through the order. The A's postgame commentators speculated that he might have been injured, explaining why he wasn't hustling to get to second with one out on a fly ball that was dropped in medium deep center. Of course, he was running with the pitch on the play he was doubled off. Geren yanked Hairston from the game after he was doubled off, in anger, no doubt. I wonder if Ramirez deked him into thinking the ball was hit on the ground.

I continue to be unimpressed with Rios in center. It wasn't just the fly he dropped. I believe he plays too deep. (The A's game announcers suggested the same thing.) Rios playing too deep led to an A's hit I thought was critical at the time. In the Sunday game in Oakland, it led to the tying run getting on in the only Bay Area Sox loss this year. I hope Rios comes back next season with an interest in playing the baseball he is capable of playing, or the Sox trade him for players who are.

GoGoCrede
09-10-2009, 02:05 AM

Come on, we're not writing term paper's. :D:

DrCrawdad
09-10-2009, 07:10 AM
A's television showed the replay about five times, and I find it hard to believe anyone finds fault with that play. I think it was clear Ramirez ran to second, having run with the pitch, to wait to see of the ball would be caught. He was watching Davis as much as the ball. Fortunately, Davis didn't get to it while giving no indication that he wouldn't catch it, letting the ball take a long bounce off the wall. Davis probably unintentionally duped Ramirez into thinking he had a shot at the ball. As soon as the ball hit the wall, though, the A's play-by-play man said, "the White Sox are going to win the game."

I actually caught the game in the eighth inning after getting home. (Lucky me, I didn't have anywhere to go Tuesday night.) Scott Hairston was the goat for the A's late. He popped out with runners on first and third and one out before failing to get to second on Rios' error and then not getting back to first on the foul popup the next time through the order. The A's postgame commentators speculated that he might have been injured, explaining why he wasn't hustling to get to second with one out on a fly ball that was dropped in medium deep center. Of course, he was running with the pitch on the play he was doubled off. Geren yanked Hairston from the game after he was doubled off, in anger, no doubt. I wonder if Ramirez deked him into thinking the ball was hit on the ground.

I continue to be unimpressed with Rios in center. It wasn't just the fly he dropped. I believe he plays too deep. (The A's game announcers suggested the same thing.) Rios playing too deep led to an A's hit I thought was critical at the time. In the Sunday game in Oakland, it led to the tying run getting on in the only Bay Area Sox loss this year. I hope Rios comes back next season with an interest in playing the baseball he is capable of playing, or the Sox trade him for players who are.

Nix did fake an underhanded toss to second base. It sure seemed that Scottie Hairston bought the fake.

kittle42
09-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Everyone? Every word? Like the 2 words he typed before "matchup's" [sic]?

I meant people in general.

hawkjt
09-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Actually,Getz did a great job of deking Hairston on that play,then hustled over to get the toss from PK...it was some very nice baseball instincts by Chris on that play.

I agree with the Rios playing so deep vs a singles hitter than could have cost the Sox. The error? Just carelessness that has too often plagued this team,but not evident in the last couple of weeks.

As far as Alexei, he did exactly the proper thing on the basepaths...if Davis turns his back,you can bet he would have been running, but the way he was going back on that ball, it was in doubt...some folks just get an impression of a facet of the team,like baserunning, and will not acknowledge the facts of the individual play.

WhiteSox1989
09-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Awful game, but an exciting finish so all is forgiven!

I keep replaying AJ's hit because Hawk was absolutely hysterical.

Hitmen77
09-10-2009, 08:52 AM

Good job by Freddy, but the offense gets shut out for 10 straight innings. That's awful! Dye is just killing us. 0-6 and he looks terrible at the plate. I knew that 11th inning rally was over once Konerko got hit by a pitch with Dye coming up next.

voodoochile
09-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Every time I think about that play, I laugh. I predict that that and the "Cmon Alexei" will become instant classics.

I wonder if Konerko will make a comment about how that's not the way the game should be played...:rolleyes:

The fake was definitely the highlight of the night, IMO. I thought about giving Getz the PTC solely because of it, but thought AJ had a slightly bigger contribution. :D:

Pick up a couple more games this could get interesting, but I'm not holding my breath.

For now...

:soxwin:

:)

WhiteSox1989
09-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Good job by Freddy, but the offense gets shut out for 10 straight innings. That's awful! Dye is just killing us. 0-6 and he looks terrible at the plate. I knew that 11th inning rally was over once Konerko got hit by a pitch with Dye coming up next.
I have been pleasantly surprised at Freddy his last two games.

slavko
09-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I wonder if Konerko will make a comment about how that's not the way the game should be played...:rolleyes:

The fake was definitely the highlight of the night, IMO. I thought about giving Getz the PTC solely because of it, but thought AJ had a slightly bigger contribution. :D:

Pick up a couple more games this could get interesting, but I'm not holding my breath.

For now...

:)

We Sox fans do have long memories...of course it's how you play this subtlest and greatest of all games.

Dye is killin' us. I love the guy, but he's gotta be gone. I almost feel the same way about Rios. The guy is digging himself a Milton Bradley sized hole that he won't be able to climb out of. Too soon to talk like this? He's hearing it from the stands real good already.

asindc
09-10-2009, 09:18 AM

I'm not sure what the complaint about Alexei's baserunning on that play is about. He was running before the pitch, slammed on the brakes and looked for the ball once he got to second, and then headed for home once he saw where the ball landed. I don't think "completely lost" accurately describes his baserunning on that play.

hi im skot
09-10-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure what the complaint about Alexei's baserunning on that play is about. He was running before the pitch, slammed on the brakes and looked for the ball once he got to second, and then headed for home once he saw where the ball landed. I don't think "completely lost" accurately describes his baserunning on that play.

Word. As others have said, Alexei did everything right.

kitekrazy
09-10-2009, 09:48 AM

It's been the wrong move 14 times this season. The team had to put in over time because of one guy who can't get one out yet while being ahead in the count. This might be the 2nd coming of McDougal.

October26
09-10-2009, 09:50 AM

I love Hawk! I fell asleep and woke up several times watching this game - it has been a very long week at work and at home for me. But I was so happy to hear Hawk screaming Alexei's name at the end. :bandance: Hysterical is right - I love Hawk! Go Sox!

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-10-2009, 09:52 AM
It's been the wrong move 14 times this season. The team had to put in over time because of one guy who can't get one out yet while being ahead in the count. This might be the 2nd coming of McDougal.

Listening to Coop on the Score when he's on in morning is painful. He becomes all agitated and confrontational if you question the performance of any player (I believe Mully asked about Pena today) and Coop snapped back. They ask softball questions for the most part, but he doesn't want to answer their questions, why bother with this segment?

tstrike2000
09-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Move over Daley, Ozzie oughta be da new mare of Chicago after bringing da Sox to 1 game under 0.500 on September 9th! Alert the parade committee!

:?:

salty99
09-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Listening to Coop on the Score when he's on in morning is painful. He becomes all agitated and confrontational if you question the performance of any player (I believe Mully asked about Pena today) and Coop snapped back. They ask softball questions for the most part, but he doesn't want to answer their questions, why bother with this segment?

Yes, I also listened and thought the same thing. Paraphrasing Coop, "We still have hope Pena can be a good pitcher. He just made 2 bad 0-2 pitches, that's it. What's your point?"

Yeah and I also have hope Alex Rios will hit .200 this year for the Sox.

LoveYourSuit
09-10-2009, 10:39 AM

Coop is the biggest ass whipe of that coaching staff, even more than Ozzie.

His arrogance is running very thing on me.

He has treated Rongey like a child more than a handful of times. I lost all respects for Coop when before opening day at the Cork he defended the decision of bringing MacDougal up north as "one of the best 12 men" we had. I guess if salaries dictate "one of the best 12 men," then his comment was fact.

Any media guy can easily shut Coops trap by brining up the consistancy of bullpen implosions this club has had the second half of 2006, 2007, 2008, & now 2009.

voodoochile
09-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Coop is the biggest ass whipe of that coaching staff, even more than Ozzie.

His arrogance is running very thing on me.

He has treated Rongey like a child more than a handful of times. I lost all respects for Coop when before opening day at the Cork he defended the decision of bringing MacDougal up north as "one of the best 12 men" we had. I guess if salaries dictate "one of the best 12 men," then his comment was fact.

Any media guy can easily shut Coops trap by brining up the consistancy of bullpen implosions this club has had the second half of 2006, 2007, 2008, & now 2009.

Nice troll...

hawkjt
09-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Sure,Coop is irritable right now. What is he supposed to say? ''Pena stinks and will never be worth the guy we traded to get him''

Hanley is a prick, so I do not blame Coop a bit for biting back.
Mully is cool. But Hanley is about the whiniest guy around.

Cooper is a very good pitching coach. The ERA is among the top 5 in the league this year. Bullpens go up and down under any coach...nature of that job. Was Coop bad when Neal Cotts was lights out in 05? Or he got dumb the next year when Cotts was bad?

Coop is trying to squeeze some good innings out of a bullpen that has struggled. Last nite Dotel was great. Thornton is usually very good. Liney is bad. Bobby is usually decent. Pena was good the last couple of times but blew it last nite....inconsistency is the norm with this group this year. Not like there is some magic words that can be whispered to change that.

Madvora
09-10-2009, 12:22 PM
The deke by Getz was AWESOME
Can someone explain this? I didn't see the game last night.

illinifan1368
09-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Hairston on 1st with one out. He runs on the pitch and the batter hits a pop up to Fields (who was playing 1st) in foul territory. Getz runs towards Hairston and pretends to field the ball and flip to Alexei at second. So Hairston slides into 2nd. As soon as Hairston goes into his slide, Getz books towards 1st and Fields tosses him the ball for a double play.

Zisk77
09-10-2009, 12:39 PM

hairston was running on the pitch when Suzuki popped it up to 1st base. Hairston didn't pick up the ball of the bat so Getz acted like he was fielding a grounder up the middle and flipped a phantom ball to alexei who was covering 2b. Hairston slid into the bag. meanwhile Getz was running back to cover 1b as fields caught the fly and flipped to Getz who beat dotel to the bag. OD did do his umpire impression and called Hairston out at first. :D:

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-10-2009, 12:42 PM
I think Pena = Linebrink for now, but honestly we can't use the same guys every night. They'll figure it out...hopefully! For now I'll enjoy another walkoff win from AJ.

btw, Getz is getting brownie points from me every night, the kid is super smart and I think we have our infield almost solidified for 2010.

kaufsox
09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Great Game, great chat last night too!!

TDog
09-10-2009, 02:31 PM
hairston was running on the pitch when Suzuki popped it up to 1st base. Hairston didn't pick up the ball of the bat so Getz acted like he was fielding a grounder up the middle and flipped a phantom ball to alexei who was covering 2b. Hairston slid into the bag. meanwhile Getz was running back to cover 1b as fields caught the fly and flipped to Getz who beat dotel to the bag. OD did do his umpire impression and called Hairston out at first. :D:

The A's telecast showed the play on the ball, and you could see stuff was going on at the edge of the screen and beyond. I assumed that the infielder on the left side would have had to be acting like he was involved in a play at the base. It sounds like there was serious teamwork involved to send Hairston to bench and to the showers with two bonehead plays in the same extra inning.

The A's broadcast showed highlights of Jerry Hairston hitting a game-ending home run in the '83-style uniform before Hairston came up with men on first and third and one out in extra innings. I don't believe any video exists of Sam Hairston's .400 season with the White Sox.

hi im skot
09-10-2009, 10:07 PM

Mod edit: Copyrighted material removed. How many times do we have to go over this? It even had the Comcast logo on it!

I'm willing to fight for my art.

soltrain21
09-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Mod edit: Copyrighted material removed. How many times do we have to go over this? It even had the Comcast logo on it!

I'm willing to fight for my art.

I bet you feel like Da Vinci now or something.

hi im skot
09-11-2009, 10:26 AM
I bet you feel like Da Vinci now or something.

Geniuses are rarely understood.

soltrain21
09-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Geniuses are rarely understood.

And usually not put on a higher pedestal until after death. SO WATCH OUT.

hi im skot
09-11-2009, 10:37 AM
And usually not put on a higher pedestal until after death. SO WATCH OUT.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/georgekarras/Images/cornholio1.jpg