PDA

View Full Version : Another Day...Another Loss To A Bad Team 9-5 Postgame thread

Lip Man 1
09-08-2009, 10:15 PM
One of the main reasons this season was such a disappointment.

Back end of the rotation is now 13-25 on the season.

Yikes!

Lip

soxfanreggie
09-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I would love to see a 5th starter at the end of the year with a record of 10-10 (or better). I'd even take something like 10-12 right now rather than a revolving door. If we can get some stability to that position, it will really pay off.

Just need a guy that gives us a chance most of the times he goes out and can eat about 150 innings in 25 starts.

Soxman219
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Wow, only 2 posts.

GoGoCrede
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Thank God for my night class, seriously. I checked the score on a break and I laughed hysterically.

Shoeless_Jeff
09-08-2009, 10:24 PM
:vazquez:

Lip Man 1
09-08-2009, 10:28 PM
This was loss #24, #24 ! on the season to the four worst teams in the league...Kansas City, Oakland, Baltimore and Cleveland.

They can beat Boston (at home), beat New York (at home), beat the Angels (anywhere) beat Tampa (anywhere) and yet they roll over and die to the garbage of the league.

Amazing.

Lip

BleacherBandit
09-08-2009, 10:30 PM
I think most WSI'ers have given up on the season.

chisoxfanatic
09-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I think most WSI'ers have given up on the season.
Yea, that can be told by the turnout in chat for the past few games. I already typed 95% of my TBGR before this one was over:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3886

GoGoCrede
09-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Yea, that can be told by the turnout in chat for the past few games. I already typed 95% of my TBGR before this one was over:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3886

Yeah, I couldn't believe it was just you and a few others in there when I popped in. I was sad.

soxfanreggie
09-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Studying for a continuing education exam on Friday has kept me away form the chat. I put the game on the radio and occasionally checked on here during study breaks.

voodoochile
09-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Thank God for my night class, seriously. I checked the score on a break and I laughed hysterically.

I turned it off when it was 8-0. I never turn a game off that early.

Someone needs to give Dandy Don the body suit Martin wore in Big Momma's house, slap a polka dot dress on him and hand him a microphone...

Domeshot17
09-08-2009, 10:42 PM
What can you expect. People like me have blasted this team for a while predicting a crappy finish like this and got blasted for it. All of us (well most atleast), would have killed to be proven wrong. However, when you have a team constructed like this, just pieced together, what can you do? This has was and always will have been a rebuilding season. We patched it together to play just under .500. At this point, play the kids, see what you have for next year, put the vets who have already mailed it in on the bench. The worst thing that happens is you land a higher draft pick. The best is you get some mythical respect or ficticious notion that an 82 win season means more than an 80.

Hitmen77
09-08-2009, 10:43 PM
So much for another good outing by Torres.

2/3 IP, 5 ER. :thud:

Another supposed 5th starter candidate for 2010 (Hudson) didn't have a great night either......and of course, in classic 09 Sox fashion, we had runners on 2nd and 3rd with nobody out and couldn't score.

Patrick134
09-08-2009, 10:44 PM
This was loss #24, #24 ! on the season to the four worst teams in the league...Kansas City, Oakland, Baltimore and Cleveland.

They can beat Boston (at home), beat New York (at home), beat the Angels (anywhere) beat Tampa (anywhere) and yet they roll over and die to the garbage of the league.

Amazing.

Lip

Oakland has 7 fewer losses than the Sox, and they play in a division where the other 3 teams in it are better than the Sox, Twins, or Tigers. Who knows how bad the Sox record would be if they played in the West.

Andy T Clown
09-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Are you ready for some FOOTBALL???

Noneck
09-08-2009, 10:51 PM
The best is you get some mythical respect or ficticious notion that an 82 win season means more than an 80.

I agree, Will the other Chicago team get respect for a .500 season? I doubt it. .500 and not being in the hunt for over a month, means absolutely zero with the type of personnel the Sox have.

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-08-2009, 10:52 PM
You know it's bad when there isn't an *Official* postgame thread yet....

I have nothing to add, we play at the level of our opponent. ****ing nutty.

Soxman219
09-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Are you ready for some FOOTBALL???

I'm ready to see Cutler destroy the Packers D on Sunday.

Hitmen77
09-08-2009, 10:53 PM
One of the main reasons this season was such a disappointment.

Back end of the rotation is now 13-25 on the season.

Yikes!

Lip

:vazquez:

LOL. I think trading him will work out better for us in the long run, but yeah you have a point. Many fans (including me) were fed up with his meltdowns and knack for giving runs right back after the Sox score.....but it was a joke that for 2009 we dumped Javy and were going to rely on Jose/Colon/Richard/Marquez to fill 2 holes in our rotation.

Tragg
09-08-2009, 10:54 PM
That's the problem this year - too many losses to bad teams. OUr record agains the Royals is 8-7 an we have losing records against Oakland and Baltimore.

I really hope that we use Hudson and maybe even Torres as a reliever next year. They're as good as the veteran relief pitcher we'll get and they get important ML experience.

StillMissOzzie
09-08-2009, 10:57 PM
So much for the thought that manhandling the Cubs for 7 innings meant that Torres was ready for real MLB hitting, even if it was just the A's...

SMO
:angry:

DumpJerry
09-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Yea, that can be told by the turnout in chat for the past few games.

Everyone was at the game sitting on the edge of our seats.

So much for the thought that manhandling the Cubs for 7 innings meant that Torres was ready for real MLB hitting, even if it was just the A's...

SMO
:angry:
I was yelling for AJ to go to the Mound and say "close your eyes and imagine you're at Wrigley. Look! A bunch of drunk frat boys in the outfield seats!"

I was hoping that would work.

Cuck the Fubs
09-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Trust me, it was worse to be there than watching on TV....

DumpJerry
09-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Trust me, it was worse to be there than watching on TV....
I think I was there. I might admit it under the pain of torture......

Rikirk
09-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Right now all I care about is being 1 game better than the Twins...

Just to get under their skin.

god how I hate them.*except for Crede*

hawkjt
09-08-2009, 11:24 PM
What an intimate group it was that hung around to the end. :whiner:
We are gluttons for punishment, even jeering that funky delivery dude pitching to Getz....guy was lights out, and better than most of our bullpen.

I think Oakland scored more 2 out runs tonite than the Sox have in the last month...seriously.

Nellie_Fox
09-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Are you ready for some FOOTBALL???I'm so sick of this. **** football.

BleacherBandit
09-08-2009, 11:31 PM
i'm so sick of this. **** football.

+1

palehozenychicty
09-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Well, Torres still has some training to do. At this point, they should let Flowers and Fields play a couple of times a week, especially Fields. He may develop some trade value this offseason. Whatever happens happens.

ode to veeck
09-08-2009, 11:49 PM
The sox were so bad tonight even Man Soo nor anyone else could not make the PTC cut. Woulda been nice to pick up a game on the kittens who would do their darndest to choke if we could only help them a bit more

Woofer
09-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Football just doesn't cut it for me either. Football is a 1 day a week thing, especially since I've never been excited by college football. Losing baseball at the end of the season is like losing a good friend. Its an everyday sport, unlike football.

BadBobbyJenks
09-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Its funny people are surprised that this mediocre team is still losing to clowns.

I have yet to get the chance to see Dan Hudson pitch, how has he looked so far?

kittle42
09-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Its funny people are surprised that this mediocre team is still losing to clowns.

I haven't been surprised since day 1. This was always a fundamentally flawed team. It wasn't a very popular opinion to have until it played out on the field.

Noneck
09-09-2009, 12:29 AM

I think the clowns that won tonight have a legit shot at having a better record at year end, than the clowns that lost tonight.

JB98
09-09-2009, 12:54 AM
What can you expect. People like me have blasted this team for a while predicting a crappy finish like this and got blasted for it. All of us (well most atleast), would have killed to be proven wrong. However, when you have a team constructed like this, just pieced together, what can you do? This has was and always will have been a rebuilding season. We patched it together to play just under .500. At this point, play the kids, see what you have for next year, put the vets who have already mailed it in on the bench. The worst thing that happens is you land a higher draft pick. The best is you get some mythical respect or ficticious notion that an 82 win season means more than an 80.

They are playing the kids. They have a rookie at second base, a rookie at third base and a second-year player at shortstop. Torres, Hudson and Nunez all pitched tonight.

JB98
09-09-2009, 12:55 AM
I think the clowns that won tonight have a legit shot at having a better record at year end, than the clowns that lost tonight.

Doubt it. Oakland is still six games worse than the Sox, even with tonight's result.

TheBigHurtST
09-09-2009, 01:02 AM
are you ready for some football???

hell. ****ing. Yes.

JB98
09-09-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm so sick of this. **** football.

I'm not excited about football either.

southside rocks
09-09-2009, 06:30 AM

Thank you.

Lip Man 1
09-09-2009, 07:51 AM
"That's White Sox 2009. You want to compete in any season, you beat the crap out of teams with a losing record and you fight against the other ones. We're doing total opposite of what we should do.'' -- Ozzie Guillen

Lip

TommyJohn
09-09-2009, 08:12 AM
I'm so sick of this. **** football.Preach!!

Lip Man 1
09-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Dome:

The difference is you've at least earned a measure of respect. You've won more than you lost.

That's the difference and that's important to me.

Think the Pirates or Orioles wouldn't love to have a single, winning season?

It's not something I take for granted and neither should you. I don't belittle it either....the Sox have an opportunity for eight winning seasons this decade...that hasn't happened since the Golden Age of the 1950's.

If you can't get to the post season having a winning record for a team in a major market is the absolute least you should be able to do.

Lip

kitekrazy
09-09-2009, 09:19 AM

Hasn't this been going on since the century started?

Lip Man 1
09-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Kite:

It became more pronounced since the second half of the 2006 season. The guts of this club have gotten older, slower (if that's possible) and even more reliant on the 'home run or nothing' approach.

That's great as long as you can hit home runs, if not....well.

Lip

Domeshot17
09-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Dome:

The difference is you've at least earned a measure of respect. You've won more than you lost.

That's the difference and that's important to me.

Think the Pirates or Orioles wouldn't love to have a single, winning season?

It's not something I take for granted and neither should you. I don't belittle it either....the Sox have an opportunity for eight winning seasons this decade...that hasn't happened since the Golden Age of the 1950's.

If you can't get to the post season having a winning record for a team in a major market is the absolute least you should be able to do.

Lip

I don't have this mindset, but I always have high expectations of everything in life I guess. To me, 80 wins, 81 wins 82 wins its all the same. Ask Pirate fans if an 82 win season or 2 mixed into 17 years would mean much? I bet to most it wouldn't. Sports aren't about breaking even. Competition isn't about winning 1 more game than you lose. You play sports to win. I follow sports to see my team win. If I wanted to be happy being a fan for anything other than a commitment to winning I would be a cubs fan, it would be easier. But to me, I guess, a commitment to winning is playoff appearances and world titles. To me, the only difference between 80 wins and 82 wins is about 5 draft slots. If you don't at a minimuim compete for and make the playoffs, the season SHOULD be viewed as a let down. 2006 was a monster let down. 2007 was a disaster, 2008 was the best of the 3 because atleast we won something. This year feels like a mix of 2006 and 2007. Too much talent to not win the division, too many holes to win anything.

When I started getting recruited/talking to colleges for baseball and football, I had a football coach tell me something that always stuck with me. When you are a kid, you can feel good about moral victories. However, when you become an adult, in sports, in college, in professional life, you have 2 choices, make a career built on results, or a career built on moral victories. For whatever reason, I have always taken that approach with my life, and as a fan its hard to not view the same thing.

Noneck
09-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Lip,

.500 can earn a measure of respect and that is dependent on the team. If Seattle or Oakland end at .500, it should gain respect because of the teams expectations at the beginning of the year.

On the other hand .500 will not gain respect for teams like Tampa, Cubs or Sox. 3 playoff teams from last year that were out of the hunt for the last month of the year.

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2009, 01:22 PM
You play sports to win.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/edwards_herman0108.jpg

"Hello! You play to win the game!"

Lip Man 1
09-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Dome:

That mindset (and I'm not putting you down for it) works if you're the Yankees and the Red Sox and the Dodgers and the Cardinals. Teams that have a winning record every year (the Yanks have now caught the Sox for the 3rd longest streak in MLB history at 17 in a row), teams that always seem to make the playoffs, teams that win a World Series once or twice a decade.

I'd agree with you 100% if the Sox had that type of ownership. They don't so my standards are based on what is reasonable for the franchise.

Now that may change when new ownership takes over, I'll have to wait and see, until then I think my parameters are reasonable and enable the Sox to have a reasonable amount of success as I define the word.

Lip

gobears1987
09-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Someone needs to give Dandy Don the body suit Martin wore in Big Momma's house, slap a polka dot dress on him and hand him a microphone...

Turn out the lights... the party's over.

(Dandy Don, and Howard for that matter, retired before I was born, yet I still caught that one).

Foulke You
09-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Amen Nellie. I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Glad to see I'm not alone on this.

ChiSoxGirl
09-09-2009, 08:44 PM

+1

Football just doesn't cut it for me either. Football is a 1 day a week thing, especially since I've never been excited by college football. Losing baseball at the end of the season is like losing a good friend. Its an everyday sport, unlike football.

Preach!!

Amen Nellie. I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Glad to see I'm not alone on this.

I seriously love all of you!!!! Screw football. :bandance: