PDA

View Full Version : Who Besides Me Is Sick Of The Black Unis?

tick53
09-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I know I'm a minority here but that's fine. I want to know who else is tired of seeing the team wearing the black uniforms all the time now. They wear them at home and they wear them on the road. They wear them after they win and they wear them after they lose. Once in a while is fine but it looks like they never change their clothes. The Sox have IMO the best home whites and the best road grays in baseball. They started out wearing the black on Sundays only and now it's any time the pitcher wants to.

I believe in traditional uniforms. Jerry Reinsdorf wants his boys to cut their hair and look clean-cut like the Yankees but he allows these warm-up jerseys constantly. You never see the Yanks wear anything but whites and grays.

If they are going to continuously wear these things, then at least have the "Chicago" logo emblazoned on the road blacks. After all it is the city that the team comes from.

Go ahead and roast me...Tick

gobears1987
09-08-2009, 06:51 PM
There was a thread about this a few weeks ago. I guess I'm in the minority when I say that I love the black unis. There is a reason I bought the black alternate when I got my Buehrle jersey after the 05 World Series.

When it comes to uniforms, we aren't the Yankees and shouldn't be like them. The Yankees have had the same uniform since G-d knows when. The Sox have changed their uniform more than any team in MLB and are the team that introduced names in their unis. I'm not complaining about that, I'm just saying that is what the Sox history is with uniforms.

KnightSox
09-08-2009, 06:57 PM
The alternate needs to go, or used on Sundays only. I cannot remember the last time they wore the home jerseys.

tick53
09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
The alternate needs to go, or used on Sundays only. I cannot remember the last time they wore the home jerseys.

Over two weeks.

esbrechtel
09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
I love the Blacks....

I don't think they are worn too much, didn't they rotate when they lose? We are seeing alot of the black because they havent gone on a winning streak....

tick53
09-08-2009, 07:06 PM
There was a thread about this a few weeks ago. I guess I'm in the minority when I say that I love the black unis. There is a reason I bought the black alternate when I got my Buehrle jersey after the 05 World Series.

When it comes to uniforms, we aren't the Yankees and shouldn't be like them. The Yankees have had the same uniform since G-d knows when. The Sox have changed their uniform more than any team in MLB and are the team that introduced names in their unis. I'm not complaining about that, I'm just saying that is what the Sox history is with uniforms.

I have to say that I have not been on WSI for a while and maybe missed the thread. I didn't mean to duplicate. I know that we are not the Yankees but they are the Chairmans template of sorts.

tick53
09-08-2009, 07:08 PM
I love the Blacks....

I don't think they are worn too much, didn't they rotate when they lose? We are seeing alot of the black because they havent gone on a winning streak....

A lot of people do and that's cool with me. I'm just not one of them.

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm also a big fan of the Black Uniforms. Also, has anyone noticed the white on the numbers/lettering seems to be shinier or is it just me?

KnightSox
09-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I love the Blacks....

I don't think they are worn too much, didn't they rotate when they lose? We are seeing alot of the black because they havent gone on a winning streak....They have worn them over 70 times, home and away.

jdm2662
09-08-2009, 07:24 PM
If they won more often, they could wear pink and speedos for all I care.

oeo
09-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Not only am I sick of them, I think they're garbage.

Shoeless_Jeff
09-08-2009, 07:31 PM

I agree, but I'd probably have to turn the game off when Jenks came out to pitch.

scarsofthumper
09-08-2009, 07:31 PM
They've worn them EVERY SINGLE DAY SINCE AUGUST 27TH.

Absolutely pathetic.

roylestillman
09-08-2009, 07:33 PM

Agreed. They look like they're from the end of season rack at the Sports Authority. I want the pinstripes back.

oeo
09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm also a big fan of the Black Uniforms. Also, has anyone noticed the white on the numbers/lettering seems to be shinier or is it just me?

No, but I've noticed that silver and white look the same from far away. The lettering on the back looks like crap because of it.

Brian26
09-08-2009, 07:45 PM
I know I'm a minority here but that's fine.

We don't discriminate against race, creed or religion.

I think you meant you're "in the minority here..."

Brian26
09-08-2009, 07:49 PM

Absolutely pathetic.

Is that true? Wow.

I like the black jerseys from the standpoint of tradition. The Sox have now been wearing them since 1991, with the current version in use since 1993. I think it's a good thing they've basically had the same set of uniforms for the past 20 years, considering they'd change unis every four or five years when I was growing up.

thomas35forever
09-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I like the blacks too, but it's tiring seeing them night after night. Did they forget they have other uniforms they can wear?

BleacherBandit
09-08-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't hate them, but they should be worn sparingly. They're called alternates for a reason.

You're guarenteed to wear it every five days ecause of Buehrle. That's the most they should wear it IMO.

Hitmen77
09-08-2009, 08:32 PM

Absolutely pathetic.

Yeah, but they've brought us good luck!!!

I agree. I'm sick of seeing them every single day. What's wrong with the Sox classic home jerseys?

MeteorsSox4367
09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I liked the vests the Sox used to wear. The Pirates also had the vests and chose not to wear them anymore.

anewman35
09-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Black uniform haters will be glad to know that in the team picture (taken today and posted to Twitter today (http://twitpic.com/h0mob) they wore pinstripes...

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-08-2009, 09:02 PM
The black jerseys happen to be my favorite jersey they wear, but they have been way too frequent. The home jersey should be used just as much, if not more than the black ones. I don't really care too much for the grey ones, but the team should still alternate the two. And like the first poster said, "Chicago" should be put on the black away jerseys.

Bobby Thigpen
09-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Ditto.

I like the blacks, but I could really care less. I don't understand why people get so worked up about it.

Noneck
09-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Give them black pants along with the black night shirt and those would be a nice set of pajamas, for the sleeping act they did this year.

sox1970
09-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I HATE the black jerseys when it's all the time. They should be reserved for Sunday games.

I also think it should be a rule that both teams can't wear a solid color jersey in the same game. This isn't spring training.

mcg
09-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Put me down in the they-wear-the-alternates-way-too-often camp. I'd like to see them no more than once a week. I'd also like MLB to implement a rule that both teams cannot wear their alternates. It looks ridiculous to me.

october23sp
09-08-2009, 09:48 PM
I am staring to hate, Hate, Hate the black unis. I love our home uniforms and our aways. Black Alts have been ok to me before but this season makes me want to throw up on them.

tacosalbarojas
09-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Last I heard, which was a couple of years ago, this was starting pitchers' choice about which top to wear. I know I've heard recently that Buehrle favors the black jersey, so you can pretty much expect most if not all of his starts to be with the black.

Personally, I love the black. Should they wear the white pinstripes more - maybe so, but I don't think limiting the black to once or twice a week is the way to go either...then again I like the black tops. But I'm sure if they did go that route, you'd have just as many people complaining that we don't see the black tops enough.

tacosalbarojas
09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Is that true? Wow.

I like the black jerseys from the standpoint of tradition. The Sox have now been wearing them since 1991, with the current version in use since 1993. I think it's a good thing they've basically had the same set of uniforms for the past 20 years, considering they'd change unis every four or five years when I was growing up.I second this feeling.

09-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Good guys wear black.

MARTINMVP
09-08-2009, 10:28 PM
The last time they did NOT wear the black uniform was the first road game against Boston, two weeks ago. They went the rest of the road stand wearing the blacks, and this entire home stand so far has been all black.

I'm glad someone else brought this up. Earlier tonight, I badly wanted to post this, but I was the guy who posted the similar thread about two weeks ago. I truly love the black uniform, however, it should be rare - maybe once a week on Sundays and I would only wear them on the road, not at home.

Their home jerseys are awesome and I would like to see them in white.

g0g0
09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I think I liked what someone else suggested about the black unis: Pair them with black pants and then wear white stockings with them! That look rocks.

beasly213
09-09-2009, 08:33 AM
good guys wear black.

+1 :d:

asindc
09-09-2009, 08:49 AM

I don't know if you know this, but the Sox began wearing pinstripes before the Yankees, so to be accurate, the Yanks are being like the Sox.

I agree with those who say the black jerseys are the alternative jerseys for a reason: The white pinstripes should be worn primarily and the grey road jerseys should be worn more often.

Procol Harum
09-09-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm tired of the black jerseys as well--the pinstripes and the road grays look great and need to be the default look. Once a week with the black jerseys is fine.

However, I do have to admit that I'm somewhat intrigued by g0g0's suggestion of the all-black paired w/ white socks. Of course, that would mean that everybody would need to wear actual baseball pants instead of those stinkin' shoe-top long pants which our guy Frank Thomas did so much to popularize. That's one baseball fashion faux pas that needs to be corrected immediately.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-09-2009, 08:58 AM
All black uniforms would be interesting.....and kind of cool looking.

I liked the Bear game down at U of I where they wore all blue (jerseys and pants). They got their asses kicked, though I doubt their outfits had anything to do with it.

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
I think I liked what someone else suggested about the black unis: Pair them with black pants and then wear white stockings with them! That look rocks.White socks, yes. They are the White Sox, they should wear white socks. And I don't mean sanitaries under black stirrups.

As for black shirt and pants? No thank you.

Dick Allen
09-09-2009, 10:29 AM
The black jerseys are my favorite. But as was said, I like anything that they win in. The black jersey detractors should note that they were not worn in the 2005 postseason.

KnightSox
09-09-2009, 10:31 AM
The black jerseys are my favorite. But as was said, I like anything that they win in. The black jersey detractors should note that they were not worn in the 2005 postseason.I hope that does not mean that I have to wait for a postseason run to get rid of these things.

asindc
09-09-2009, 10:31 AM
The black jerseys are my favorite. But as was said, I like anything that they win in. The black jersey detractors should note that they were not worn in the 2005 postseason.

... and Buehrle pitched a monster game in Game 2 of the ALCS in the home whites.

twinsuck
09-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I love the black tops but I do think they wear them a bit too much. I'd like to see the pinstripes more.

Dibbs
09-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I wish we never wore the black uniforms again. They are fine for BP or spring training. The Yankees are pure class with their uniforms, and I wish we were the same. White at home and grey on the road.

TheVulture
09-09-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm with the tired of the black unis crowd. They look ridiculous to me with the home pinstripe pants. They might as well go all the way with alternate pants that go with them - plain whites, with maybe some black piping on the legs.

chisox12
09-09-2009, 04:01 PM
I dont mind the black unis, but the Sox wear them way too much. It seems that is becoming rare to see the white pinstripes and the road grays. Both of which are some of the finest unis in baseball.

ramblinsoxfan11
09-09-2009, 04:03 PM
In my opinion the black uniforms are the best they have, the grey ones look weak and the pin stripes are too much like every other team in MLB. Don't get me wrong, I like the pin stripes for being a very traditional look, but the black unis are by far the coolest and most intimidating the Sox have. To see 9 guys dressed in black charge out of the dug out and onto the field gives the opposing team a little more intimidation than say cubbie blue shirts with matching cubbie blue hats would.

Like someone said earlier, Good guys wear black!!!

Foulke You
09-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I love the black. All our uniforms are great but the black is my favorite. They can wear them as much as they want for all I care. Interesting to note, during the "blackout" game last year, the Sox chose their white pinstripes which I thought was a bit odd.

Also, you know it is getting close to the offseason when a good old fashioned WSI uniform debate thread gets started.

sox1970
09-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I love the black. All our uniforms are great but the black is my favorite. They can wear them as much as they want for all I care. Interesting to note, during the "blackout" game last year, the Sox chose their white pinstripes which I thought was a bit odd.

Also, you know it is getting close to the offseason when a good old fashioned WSI uniform debate thread gets started.

It was a great contrast to everyone in the stands. If it was Danks' call that night, he picked the right uniform.

MetroPD
09-09-2009, 05:29 PM
I feel this way as well. They look like warm up jerseys.

soltrain21
09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
They wear them way too much and I think they look awful with the gray pants.

october23sp
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM

I think you are looking at the team in the unis. :tongue: But seriously, I agree. Minor League/Spring Trainingish look.

Streets
09-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Add me to the 'sick of the black uni's group.' I'm really hoping they do something next season where there is a limitation to how often an alternate jersey is worn.

From the looks of this thread I guess I'm one of the few that also love our road grays.

tstrike2000
09-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I've always really liked the black's. To each their own. If nothing else, this thread at least can take our minds off of a frustrating season for a second.

oeo
09-09-2009, 08:27 PM
In my opinion the black uniforms are the best they have, the grey ones look weak and the pin stripes are too much like every other team in MLB. Don't get me wrong, I like the pin stripes for being a very traditional look, but the black unis are by far the coolest and most intimidating the Sox have. To see 9 guys dressed in black charge out of the dug out and onto the field gives the opposing team a little more intimidation than say cubbie blue shirts with matching cubbie blue hats would.

Like someone said earlier, Good guys wear black!!!

If anything, it's the black uniforms that are like every other team in baseball now that just about every team has adopted the black alternate. The pinstripes and road grays are classics.

Eliminate the black alternate!

tacosalbarojas
09-09-2009, 08:31 PM
It was a great contrast to everyone in the stands. If it was Danks' call that night, he picked the right uniform.Yes, it's always starting pitchers' call...those of you wanting white can thank Freddy.

The Dude
09-09-2009, 10:19 PM

Also love the Black uniform. I have no problem with a steady rotation of the three jerseys since I think they are all equally spectacular. :gulp:

Dub25
09-09-2009, 11:07 PM
I didn't read much of the previous pages but I love my black uni with the 05 World Series patch on it. Not the 05 World Series Champions Patch but the one they wore during the WORLD SERIES.

oeo
09-09-2009, 11:35 PM
I didn't read much of the previous pages but I love my black uni with the 05 World Series patch on it. Not the 05 World Series Champions Patch but the one they wore during the WORLD SERIES.

But they never wore the black alternate in the World Series. Or the playoffs, for that matter.

#1swisher
09-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Yes, it's always starting pitchers' call...those of you wanting white can thank Freddy.

Freddy and the pinstripes in, Sox Win!:tongue:

FYI, I like both the pinstripes and alt. black, I own both.
Never did like the road gray jersey, change it to gunmetal gray.:cool:

Frankfan4life
09-10-2009, 12:39 AM
I agree with those who say the black jerseys are the alternative jerseys for a reason: The white pinstripes should be worn primarily and the grey road jerseys should be worn more often.My sentiments exactly. Enough of the black already.

The Sox wore the white uni's Wednesday and won. Maybe we'll see them more often now.

34 Inch Stick
09-10-2009, 08:26 AM
softball uniforms created purely as a money grab

asindc
09-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Add me to the 'sick of the black uni's group.' I'm really hoping they do something next season where there is a limitation to how often an alternate jersey is worn.

From the looks of this thread I guess I'm one of the few that also love our road grays.

I also like the road grays better than the black jerseys.

russ99
09-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Sorry, but the black jerseys rock.

I have 2 of them and none of the home pinstriped ones.

For those of you opposed, any suggestions on a different alternate? The Pins & Greys are way too vanilla by themselves...

Speaking of which, I'd love to see a red early 70's throwback, especially the power blue road ones.

soltrain21
09-10-2009, 12:27 PM

That uniform never existed.

BigKlu59
09-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Count me in as one who thinks they have overdone it with the solid black. I can see them wearing them for a game in a 3 or 4 game series as I feel ALTERNATE means.., but to almost replace the home pinstripes as a whole is sacriligeous to baseball.. Maybe I'm a crusty ole purist,but I'm with Nellie on this one. Pinstripes and "WHITE" Sox... They are the Chicago White Sox, Not the dispariging "Black Sox" used to defame this franchise.
My take is they should break it down this way;

Home Games

Pinstripes-White Sox 80%
Pinstripe Wests -White Sox 10% (Summer Jume July Aug)
Black Pajama Tops-Optional hose 10%

Away Games

Away Greys -White Sox 75%
Black Jammies-Optional Hose 25%

Kudo's to one of the bretheren that noted the Sox were pinstriping before the Yankmee's.... The only claim to fame the Bronx Bombers have is they never have put players names on the back of their uni's.. But leave it to Bill Veeck to kick sand in their eyes on that one...

BigKlu59

Jerko
09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
I have no problems with the jersey itself OR how often they wear them. One of my favorite things to do when i first get to the park is see what uniforms they are wearing. I like not knowing ahead of time.

RhubarbStew
09-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Yep, the pinstripes and the road grays (which I'm a big fan of) are classic. Black jerseys with gray pants? Not a good look.

Red Barchetta
09-11-2009, 08:38 AM
That uniform never existed.

I think the poster was referring to the alt black jersey with the WS 05 logo on the sleeve similar to the patch worn on the pins and the road greys. I know they never wore their black jerseys during the post season, however I'm sure they were ready to go in case they decided to wear them so they probably did exist. Unless the team took some whacky vote not to wear the black jerseys prior to the playoffs starting. Personally, I think they just stayed with the hot jersey.

When they lost the one game against the Angels, I believe they switched from the home vests to the regular home pinstripes. Anyone remember?

MARTINMVP
09-11-2009, 11:39 PM
I think most of us don't hate the black uniforms. At least with me, I like all three and appreciate the variety. I love the black unis, but I do like seeing them as a true alternate because I truly love the home white and road grey.

oeo
09-11-2009, 11:50 PM
I think the poster was referring to the alt black jersey with the WS 05 logo on the sleeve similar to the patch worn on the pins and the road greys. I know they never wore their black jerseys during the post season, however I'm sure they were ready to go in case they decided to wear them so they probably did exist. Unless the team took some whacky vote not to wear the black jerseys prior to the playoffs starting. Personally, I think they just stayed with the hot jersey.

When they lost the one game against the Angels, I believe they switched from the home vests to the regular home pinstripes. Anyone remember?

Yes, this is correct. They started with the home vests in the ALCS because they won both games in those in the ALDS. They only wore the home pinstripes and road grays the rest of the way.

anewman35
09-12-2009, 05:45 PM

Yeah, I assume they just never wore them because they only lost the one time. I know I've seen footage from the locker room of the black tops with World Series patches.

tick53
09-17-2009, 10:05 AM
We don't discriminate against race, creed or religion.

I think you meant you're "in the minority here..."

Yeah, that's what I meant. I apologize to myself. I pride myself on my writing articulation. :redface:

Waysouthsider
09-17-2009, 01:59 PM
I like them less then either the road grays or the pinstripes....my favorite is the road grays with the script....

blackcloud1956
09-18-2009, 08:59 AM
As Tick53's younger brother this is a topic that we have spent a lot of time on. I hate the Black unis to the point that I can't enjoy watching them play when they wear them. I also hate the Bears wearing black cleats, especially when they wrap their ankles with friction tape to create a black high-top look and the all white road unis and the Orange Halloween jerseys. I know I might need professional help with this, but thats the way I feel. I'll also throw in this in, I hate when players have their back pocket hang out of their pants. A.J. is the main White Sox culprit. Why is this even done ?

Lip Man 1
09-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Well as for me I'm more sick of the players in the uniforms than the uniform itself.

Lip

BainesHOF
09-19-2009, 12:18 AM
It's a minor thing, but I was just talking about this with my girlfriend a couple days ago. It's ridiculous how often the black uniforms are worn, especially at home. We have one of the best home uniforms in baseball with the black pinstripes and yet we so often wear the black tops, which look like batting practice jerseys.

WhiteSox Brad
09-20-2009, 07:31 AM
I too am tired of seeing the Sox in the black batting practice jerseys. I much prefer to see them in the home white and road gray. The Sox must be wearing the black far too often, since during a recent game, my young sons acted surprised to see the Sox actually wearing the road gray. They told me that the Sox look "so much cooler in the gray."

#1swisher
09-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Peavy must like the black jersey/pinstripe pants:thumbsup:

Cuck the Fubs
09-20-2009, 01:11 PM
I love the black!

october23sp
09-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Peavy must like the black jersey/pinstripe pants:thumbsup:

:angry: All of our pitchers apparently do.

#1swisher
09-22-2009, 10:51 AM
:angry: All of our pitchers apparently do.

Hudson wore pinstripes.

Anyone else like the Twins road pinstripe uni?

MARTINMVP
09-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Hudson wore pinstripes.

Anyone else like the Twins road pinstripe uni?

I don't think road gray uniforms look right with pinstripes, at least not in this modern era.

FielderJones
09-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't think road gray uniforms look right with pinstripes, at least not in this modern era.

But fabulous (http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1917_chicago.gif&Entryid=269) in bygone eras!