PDA

View Full Version : Garcia has a team option for '10'?

getonbckthr
09-08-2009, 02:04 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/10037730/Coghlan-should-win-NL-ROY-after-big-second-half

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2009, 02:05 PM
It's been stated here many times in the last week, as reported by Mark Gonzales.

KenBerryGrab
09-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Savvy, Kenny, savvy.

soxfanreggie
09-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Pretty cheap insurance option considering the upside. I'd like to see him compete for the spot though, as we have a few guys that had an argument to get a shot at the 5 slot.

gobears1987
09-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Serious question. I have a #34 Garcia home pinstripe jersey. I think it's a safe assumption that if Freddy continues as he has, he'll back. With that in mind, would it be worth it for me to strip the seams and rearrange the 34 so that it is 43? I probably won't do it, but I'm still tempted.

Foulke You
09-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Serious question. I have a #34 Garcia home pinstripe jersey. I think it's a safe assumption that if Freddy continues as he has, he'll back. With that in mind, would it be worth it for me to strip the seams and rearrange the 34 so that it is 43? I probably won't do it, but I'm still tempted.
I own a black alt authentic Freddy #34 jersey and I plan on keeping it #34 regardless of what happens next year. Freddy wore #34 when he pitched Game 4 of the World Series so that is enough for me to keep the jersey untouched. If I were you, I'd leave it alone.

hawkjt
09-08-2009, 04:05 PM
WE need Torres and Freddy to take out Oakland..who we owe bigtime from that series back in July in which they took 3 of 4 from the Sox.
Winning these two are an absolute must. Then we have our big three going against the Angels. Then Torres and Freddy vs Seattle(tough), then the big three vs Seattle, and KC. Then maybe Jake will be ready for Minny.

Lip Man 1
09-08-2009, 04:36 PM
It was smart of Kenny to take a shot with Freddy given that he's not 56 or so (aka Contreras) and doesn't weight 400 pounds (aka Colon) another year on the deal for minimum money was worth the chance.

If he can perform it would solve the black hole at the 5th starer spot but Kenny has to carefully weigh the odds. Garcia has missed basically two years because of arm injuries, suddenly he's better?

Maybe....

But if I were Kenny I'd still wait to see how the off season market plays out and if anymore more reliable may be available for a below market price.

I just wouldn't put all my eggs in Freddy's basket or come next June the Sox may be in the same position with the back end of the rotation.

Lip

Rohan
09-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Another interesting part about this article is that in reference to the AL RoY contenders, the only part about Gordon Beckham was that Ozzie was "talking him up"...

voodoochile
09-08-2009, 05:32 PM
It was smart of Kenny to take a shot with Freddy given that he's not 56 or so (aka Contreras) and doesn't weight 400 pounds (aka Colon) another year on the deal for minimum money was worth the chance.

If he can perform it would solve the black hole at the 5th starer spot but Kenny has to carefully weigh the odds. Garcia has missed basically two years because of arm injuries, suddenly he's better?

Maybe....

But if I were Kenny I'd still wait to see how the off season market plays out and if anymore more reliable may be available for a below market price.

I just wouldn't put all my eggs in Freddy's basket or come next June the Sox may be in the same position with the back end of the rotation.

Lip

Sometimes that's what it takes for a pitcher to recover. Freddie wouldn't be the only pitcher in history to take a couple of years off and then come back and pitch effectively. It sounds like he is mostly healed and what he lacked was arm strength. When the Sox gave him the chance to just work up his arm and didn't need to push him to pitch it worked out well for both sides of the equation.

I wouldn't have a problem letting Freddie take over the 5th slot next season right now without waiting for the market to do its thing. With both Torres and Hudson ready to back him up, the Sox would be 3 deep for one slot.

This year they had 3 question marks for 2 slots with the best prospect being Richard (probably comparable to Torres in terms of talent, IMO - though obviously with different pitching styles). Hudson by himself gives me reason to be hopeful that they don't need to spend a lot of money on the 5th starter slot. I'd be okay with handing him the job next spring, but am happier with the idea of a veteran in the slot and Hudson starting the year in AAA. I think Torres makes the team as the long reliever if nothing else and if Freddie can't handle the innings they can start by giving Torres the job. If Freddie makes it through June, Hudson should be ready if Torres turns into a flake.

I'd actually almost prefer that they sell high on Torres right now or during the off season to help fill another position because I don't think he's going to be a starter for the Sox for the next 3 years.

DumpJerry
09-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Another interesting part about this article is that in reference to the AL RoY contenders, the only part about Gordon Beckham was that Ozzie was "talking him up"...
Consider the "reporter."

oeo
09-08-2009, 06:59 PM

Maybe....

Lip

Unlike this year, we will have a pretty good pitcher in Dan Hudson waiting in the minors if/when Freddy goes down.

tsoxman
09-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Savvy, Kenny, savvy.
Good move on kenny's part...Though it is only three games, Garcia has pitched well against Boston and NY. I am not sold on Carlos Torres as a starter right now.

whitesoxfan
09-08-2009, 09:09 PM

I'd leave it at 34. That's what number he's going to be remembered as, forever.

43 is pretty bad ass though.

Brian26
09-08-2009, 09:17 PM

I own a black alt authentic Freddy #34 jersey and I plan on keeping it #34 regardless of what happens next year. Freddy wore #34 when he pitched Game 4 of the World Series so that is enough for me to keep the jersey untouched. If I were you, I'd leave it alone.

I agree. #34 Garcia will always be a classic. No need to update it.

Hitmen77
09-08-2009, 09:29 PM
WE need Torres and Freddy to take out Oakland..who we owe bigtime from that series back in July in which they took 3 of 4 from the Sox.
Winning these two are an absolute must. Then we have our big three going against the Angels. Then Torres and Freddy vs Seattle(tough), then the big three vs Seattle, and KC. Then maybe Jake will be ready for Minny.

So much for that.:mad:

hawkjt
09-09-2009, 12:33 AM
So much for that.:mad:

Yea, that plan was ruined by Torres. Man, he did not have a thing tonite. We were watching from behind the Sox dugout and you could tell he was throwing up soft garbage.

I say we let Hudson take Torres next turn, and hope Freddy's stuff holds tomorrow. Oakland seems to hit the crap outta the sox...and no one else.

veeter
09-09-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm a huge Freddy fan, and really hope he's here for 2010. Cowley on the Score this morning, feels he'll be the fifth starter next year. If Freddy's your fifth, you're in good shape.

Lip Man 1
09-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Veeter:

Assuming he's the Garcia of 2005 and not the Garcia of 2008, otherwise it's the same song, different verse for the 5th starter position.

Lip

Hitmen77
09-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Yea, that plan was ruined by Torres. Man, he did not have a thing tonite. We were watching from behind the Sox dugout and you could tell he was throwing up soft garbage.

I say we let Hudson take Torres next turn, and hope Freddy's stuff holds tomorrow. Oakland seems to hit the crap outta the sox...and no one else.

It sounds like the Sox are seriously considering having Peavy start the next time this spot in the rotation comes up. It may depend on how his bullpen session goes today.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-09-white-sox-as-chicago-sep09,0,398031.story

Hitmen77
09-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Veeter:

Assuming he's the Garcia of 2005 and not the Garcia of 2008, otherwise it's the same song, different verse for the 5th starter position.

Lip

Agreed. I think the Sox will indeed just go with Garcia, Torres, and Hudson to compete for the 5th starter spot for next year, but that certainly is risky. Maybe not as bad as this year's Jose/Colon gamble that obviously failed badly, but each of the 3 candidates certainly have question marks:

Do a couple of good outings now show that Garcia is back to being a serviceable pitcher who can hold up over an entire season? Torres showed yesterday why he might not be the answer. Hudson has promise, but he may not be ready to be a major league starter to open the 2010 season.

hawkjt
09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I am fine with Hudson,Freddy and Torres competing for the 5th spot, but I think if Freddy's arm is sound, he should win that competition.
And I am fine with that. Maybe Torres could take DJ's long reliever spot, with Hudson going back down for much-needed polishing at AAA.
Watching Hudson last nite, I just do not think he is quite ready for The Show yet...maybe mid-season next year..but not in the spring.