PDA

View Full Version : Don't Stop Believing

shingo10
09-08-2009, 12:49 PM
The Sox just might have finally hit their stride. Or at least we can hope they have. Detroit has had their good run over the last month and them coming back down to earth seems realistic.

So maybe we can still do this.

The goal for this team now has to be to gain 2 games by Sunday and be 5.5 back. Same thing for the following week. If we can achieve this and finish the series with Minnesota 3-4 games back then we will have a very meaningful series with Detroit. That's all I'm asking for at this point. Meaningful September baseball.

By trying to gain a little ground each week, hope could slowly return to fans, players, and everyone else associated with the White Sox.

spawn
09-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I generally try not to be a Debbie Downer or a dark cloud when it comes to the Sox, but this team is so maddeningly inconsistent, I have no faith or confidence in them to put together a run like the Rockies did in '07, nor do I think the Tigers are going to choke. Besides, they still have to jump Minnesota as well. I'm just hoping they continue their streak lately of not beating themselves, and I can continue to enjoy winning baseball until the season ends.

soltrain21
09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
We are a game under .500 and 7.5 back. It's over.

LoveYourSuit
09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
My Magic number is 4.

If we lose 4 more games, we are done.

So look at the schedule and count those 4 loses. 88-74 is what we need. Tigerst need to play 13-13 ball the rest of the way and we need to go 19-4.

Those 9 games we trail in the loss colum are huge. We almost have to sweep Detroit for all 6.

This A's series a a must Sweep.

jdm2662
09-08-2009, 01:07 PM
There is nothing wrong for not wanting to give up on the season, but the hole the Sox dug in is simply to big to over come I think. I'm just hoping for 82 wins at this point.

asindc
09-08-2009, 01:17 PM
My Magic number is 4.

So look at the schedule and count those 4 loses. 88-74 is what we need. Tigerst need to play 13-13 ball the rest of the way and we need to go 19-4.

Those 9 games we trail in the loss colum are huge. We almost have to sweep Detroit for all 6.

Interesting. Before yesterday, I also said no more than four losses will possibly do it. I do think, however, that Detroit has hit its stride and will perform better than .500 the rest of the way.

The Critic
09-08-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm a pessimist by nature and the Sox have given me no reason to be optimistic. I hope they make some kind of magical run, but given what I've watched for 5+ months now, I'm not counting on it.

Noneck
09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
9 down in the loss. 2 teams above. Forgetaboutit, put it to rest.

LoveYourSuit
09-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Oak
Oak
@Ana
@Ana
@Ana
@Sea
@Sea
@Sea
KC
KC
KC
Min
Min
Min
Det
Det
Det
@Cle
@Cle
@Cle
@Det
@Det
@Det

Bold = My 4 loses.

If we can go to Detroit chasing 3, how exciting would that be?

TomBradley72
09-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't see it happening, unless Detroit completely implodes...but they seem to be going the other way, hitting their stride, gaining momentum.

If we have a 6-1 week (this week or next at the latest) when they go 1-6, 2-5...maybe.

LoveYourSuit
09-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Oak
Oak
@Ana
@Ana
@Ana
@Sea
@Sea
@Sea
KC
KC
KC
Min
Min
Min
Det
Det
Det
@Cle
@Cle
@Cle
@Det
@Det
@Det

Bold = My 4 loses.

If we can go to Detroit chasing 3, how exciting would that be?

My 13 Tiger loses:

@KC
@KC
@KC
Tor
Tor
Tor
Tor
KC
KC
KC
@Min
@Min
@Min
@Cle
@Cle
@Cle
@CWS
@CWS
@CWS
Min
Min
Min
CWS
CWS
CWS

NoNeckEra
09-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Detroit has had their good run over the last month and them coming back down to earth seems realistic.

I tend to see Detroit as hitting their stride over the past two weeks and never looking back.

getonbckthr
09-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately Detroit plays Minnesota 6 times as well. Only one team can lose.

LoveYourSuit
09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Unfortunately Detroit plays Minnesota 6 times as well. Only one team can lose.

If Minn and Detroit split their games and we take all 6 from Detroit (which has become a must now) and take 2 of 3 from the Twins ..... we would still be in it.

It's a tall task for sure.

GoGoCrede
09-08-2009, 02:29 PM
All I know is that I'll keep watching for as long as our boys play. The offseason is far too long for me.

Chez
09-08-2009, 02:31 PM
MLB just suspended Tigers closer Fernando Rodney three games for chucking a ball into the stands on Friday. Rodney is appealing the suspension but maybe this is the start of a crack . . .

chisox12
09-08-2009, 02:32 PM
i'm a pessimist by nature and the sox have given me no reason to be optimistic. I hope they make some kind of magical run, but given what i've watched for 5+ months now, i'm not counting on it.

+1

twinsuck
09-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I know it's unlikely that the Sox win the division. But I do hope the Sox just get on a roll and play good baseball. It doesn't matter if they catch Detroit, I just want them to play well. :smile:

NLaloosh
09-08-2009, 02:36 PM
There is nothing wrong for not wanting to give up on the season, but the hole the Sox dug in is simply to big to over come I think. I'm just hoping for 82 wins at this point.

Exactly - 82 would be challenging enough for this group.

LITTLE NELL
09-08-2009, 02:36 PM
I predicted 83-79 after Saturdays game, not enough to win it. I hope they prove me wrong and win 19 out of 20.

NLaloosh
09-08-2009, 02:37 PM
My Magic number is 4.

What Major League teams could the Sox play and go 19-4? I don't think they could go 19-4 against Charlotte.

spawn
09-08-2009, 02:40 PM
What Major League teams could the Sox play and go 19-4? I don't think they could go 19-4 against Charlotte.
Oh please. :rolleyes:

shingo10
09-08-2009, 02:43 PM
I didn't intend to be unrealistic when starting this thread. Just a positive thought that maybe we can gain a couple here and a couple there and have our home series against Detroit mean something. To me there is nothing better than meaningful baseball on the South Side late in September or in October.

Heck who knows, maybe at that point we could pull out the Blackout promotion.

Yes I realize there is going to have be an incredible run by the Sox and an incredible collapse by Detroit but there's still a glimmer of hope and I'll cling to it until mathematically we are done.

spawn
09-08-2009, 02:47 PM
I didn't intend to be unrealistic when starting this thread. Just a positive thought that maybe we can gain a couple here and a couple there and have our home series against Detroit mean something. To me there is nothing better than meaningful baseball on the South Side late in September or in October.

Heck who knows, maybe at that point we could pull out the Blackout promotion.

Yes I realize there is going to have be an incredible run by the Sox and an incredible collapse by Detroit but there's still a glimmer of hope and I'll cling to it until mathematically we are done.
Well, I for one really appreciate your enthusiasm. Don't let us sway your optimism! :thumbsup:

LoveYourSuit
09-08-2009, 02:48 PM

Winning 19 of 23 is not impossible.

This teams hasn't show that they can do it but if somehow you get a healthy Peavy in there, now you are looking at a horse on the mound for every start here out.

NoNeckEra
09-08-2009, 02:52 PM
MLB just suspended Tigers closer Fernando Rodney three games for chucking a ball into the stands on Friday. Rodney is appealing the suspension but maybe this is the start of a crack . . .
I saw the end of the game when he did it celebrating a tough save.
He threw it in the upper deck at TB.

No way the 3 game suspension will hold.

gobears1987
09-08-2009, 02:52 PM
We have 6 more against the Tigers. That's enough to do this.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-08-2009, 03:03 PM
All I know is that I'll keep watching for as long as our boys play. The offseason is far too long for me.
+1 - especially knowing what we have going into next year, this offseason will be as bad as post 2005.

everafan
09-08-2009, 03:28 PM
We are a game under .500 and 7.5 back. It's over.

Rationally I know the odds are overwhelming that it's over - but I still hold on to the sliver of hope. It doesn't cost me anything.

kaufsox
09-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Rationally I know the odds are overwhelming that it's over - but I still hold on to the sliver of hope. It doesn't cost me anything.

yep. and hey crazier things have happened. why not the Sox? Why not this year?

hawkjt
09-08-2009, 04:00 PM

I saw him do that, I was shocked. Glad they are doing something about it.
He was outta control.

I am praying that Greinke will beat the Tigers twice, and Toronto will help us. Tigers will face halladay and are 1-4 vs the Jays.
Then we need to stay right on the twins butt and hope they beat the tigers 6 of 7....that is what the Sox need...to draft behind Minny as they beat the tigers, then beat them at Soxpark. Then take out the tigers who might be clutching bigtime....make them feel heat,please Sox.

areilly
09-08-2009, 04:01 PM
A Cubs-Sox World Series is inevitable; I can feel it. Team of Destiny!

White City
09-08-2009, 04:27 PM
We'd have to be the Mets, and Tigers would have to be the Cubs. Somebody mail 'em a goat.

Lip Man 1
09-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Shingo:

With all due respect, it's over and done. The only question that remains is, can they win 13 more games to finish with a winning season.

That's the only drama remaining.

Lip

southside rocks
09-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Shingo:

With all due respect, it's over and done. The only question that remains is, can they win 13 more games to finish with a winning season.

That's the only drama remaining.

Lip

I'd really like to see them finish ahead of the Twins. My loathing for the Twins is unbounded. I can even be happy for the Tigers when they win, but I never, ever, ever want the Sox to finish behind the Twins.

wassagstdu
09-08-2009, 05:58 PM
What's done is done. I'd like to see the Sox finish by winning 14 more (.608 the rest of the season; final 83 wins). Also like to see Rios and Quentin hit .280 the rest of the way and Peavy win 2. Then continue all of that into 2010.

soltrain21
09-08-2009, 06:04 PM
yep. and hey crazier things have happened. why not the Sox? Why not this year?

Yuck. That is right up there with "Team of Destiny"

GoGoCrede
09-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Yuck. That is right up there with "Team of Destiny"

Pfft. This is the YEAR, dude. Turn in your fan card.

You're SO not invited to the World Series party. :)

WhiteSox1989
09-08-2009, 06:26 PM
When I purchased my car Don't Stop Believing was on the radio the moment I got in the car for the first time. This story really has no relevance to the topic at hand other than the song title.:smile:

gobears1987
09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
I saw him do that, I was shocked. Glad they are doing something about it.
He was outta control.

I am praying that Greinke will beat the Tigers twice, and Toronto will help us. Tigers will face halladay and are 1-4 vs the Jays.
Then we need to stay right on the twins butt and hope they beat the tigers 6 of 7....that is what the Sox need...to draft behind Minny as they beat the tigers, then beat them at Soxpark. Then take out the tigers who might be clutching bigtime....make them feel heat,please Sox.
It's probably a pipe dream, but I think I'll smoke some of what you've got in there. It's better watch the final few weeks in hope than simply give up. After all, this board was pissing its pants in 2005 when the Indians were in the same position our Sox are in now. Why can't we have a hot couple of weeks? The 2009 Sox are better than the 2005 Indians, and we know the 2009 Tigers are **** next to the 2005 Sox.

:bong:

WhiteSox1989
09-08-2009, 06:36 PM
My dad is one of the few still holding out hope. For whatever reason, he has been REALLY optimistic this season.

bridgeportcopper
09-08-2009, 07:01 PM
My dad is one of the few still holding out hope. For whatever reason, he has been REALLY optimistic this season.

I personally gave up hope during that Fenway series.......but have REGAINED it! I know there is a quote from Shawshank that is relevant, ah just found it thanks to reellifewisdom.com
“Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.”
Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman at their finest! Go Sox!

bridgeportcopper
09-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh and since we're on the subject of The Shawshank Redemption and great quotes and their relevence to this White Sox campaign, Alexis Rios, "Get busy livin' or get busy dying!"

thomas35forever
09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Detroit's going to have to pull off a choke of monumental proportions for the Sox to have a real chance. That said, it's probably not going to happen.

fram40
09-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Detroit's going to have to pull off a choke of monumental proportions for the Sox to have a real chance. That said, it's probably not going to happen.

as Kauf said above - why not the Tigers? Why not this year?

oeo
09-08-2009, 08:49 PM

Only very good teams do not choke. Detroit isn't a very good team.

hawkjt
09-09-2009, 12:37 AM
KC did their part tonite. Came from behind to give the Tigers a taste of their own medicine. Maybe the Tigers magic spell has been broken. If the Sox had won tonite...they would be tied with the Twins 6.5 back...but alas.....aw shucks..wish I could cuss right now.

kittle42
09-09-2009, 12:40 AM
If they just go 19-3...

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2009, 12:44 AM
If the Sox had won tonite...they would be tied with the Twins 6.5 back...but alas.....aw shucks..wish I could cuss right now.And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass.

guillensdisciple
09-09-2009, 04:55 AM
And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass.

I am pretty sure they discovered something along those lines in New Guinea the other day.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I had this team with a magic number of 4 loses .... piss on them after that effort last night :angry:

Magic number is 0.

They can go to hell.

asindc
09-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I had this team with a magic number of 4 loses .... piss on them after that effort last night :angry:

Magic number is 0.

They can go to hell.

Come on, LYS, it's only one of the four losses. They could lose the next three losses by double digits each as long as they don't lose more games than that. In fact, as long as the other three losses are outside of the division, all the better.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Come on, LYS, it's only one of the four losses. They could lose the next three losses by double digits each as long as they don't lose more games than that. In fact, as long as the other three losses are outside of the division, all the better.

Well, I was saving my 4 loses for teams other than the lowly Athletics, but I should have seen it coming being that we suck versus the dogs of the league.

Maybe we are dogs too, I don't know.

Detroit had to lose a game to KC and they did their part last night. We just have no sense of urgency on this club.

ms620
09-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, I was saving my 4 loses for teams other than the lowly Athletics, but I should have seen it coming being that we suck versus the dogs of the league.

Detroit had to lose a game to KC and they did their part last night. We just have no sense of urgency on this club.

Please explain to me how last night had anything to do with urgency? We had a borderline MLB pitcher starting, and he immediately gave up 5 runs...and u expect the white sox to come back from that? Give me a break...it has little to do with urgency.

kitekrazy
09-09-2009, 11:49 AM

This is not a good team. It never was going into Spring training.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Please explain to me how last night had anything to do with urgency? We had a borderline MLB pitcher starting, and he immediately gave up 5 runs...and u expect the white sox to come back from that? Give me a break...it has little to do with urgency.

The urgency is that you have to win almost every game from here out. That's the urgency. And if the starter you are putting out there doesn't even give you a chance to get out of the 1st inning as you are saying, then shame on management.

I realize this team sucks, and it does suck bad. Not because of talent but because of what they have in their heads for brains. But the Tigers are so capable of collapsing here down the stretch and we still can't figure out a way to beat ****ty teams in the process. That's the dissapointing part.

shingo10
09-09-2009, 12:44 PM
But the Tigers are so capable of collapsing here down the stretch and we still can't figure out a way to beat ****ty teams in the process. That's the dissapointing part.

I agree with this...If we could win a series against Cleveland or Baltimore or Oakland...the list goes on, but it's these very beatable teams that have killed us this year. KC gave us a break last night and maybe they can do the same tonight. And maybe we can figure out how to beat Oakland in our own ballpark.

Law11
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Are there really people out there holding out hope for this team.. Embrace reality folks.. The season ended over the last road trip. Its football season.

kittle42
09-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Are there really people out there holding out hope for this team.. Embrace reality folks.. The season ended over the last road trip. Its football season.

There are always those folks who will hand in there until the Sox are mathematically eliminated, but you're right.

ms620
09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
The urgency is that you have to win almost every game from here out. That's the urgency. And if the starter you are putting out there doesn't even give you a chance to get out of the 1st inning as you are saying, then shame on management.

I realize this team sucks, and it does suck bad. Not because of talent but because of what they have in their heads for brains. But the Tigers are so capable of collapsing here down the stretch and we still can't figure out a way to beat ****ty teams in the process. That's the dissapointing part.

Not sure you understand what urgency is... Not having a capable 5th starter might be management's fault..but it does not mean that a lack of urgency is the problem.

illinifan1368
09-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Just because you lost hope, doesn't mean we all lost hope. What fun is giving up? In reality, he need to be 4 games back or less heading into the first Tigers series. But even if he are back 5 or 6 games, I'll still be hopeful, because we would control our destiny.

To everyone who gave up, don't rip us for holding out up. Just accept that we disagree and move on.

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2009, 02:24 PM
It's football season.I say again: **** football.

Lawson
09-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I shall remain hopeful as long as their postseason chances are mathematically viable.

Call me Pollyanna, call me stupid, whatever. I don't care.:D:

Go Sox!

asindc
09-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Just because you lost hope, doesn't mean we all lost hope. What fun is giving up? In reality, he need to be 4 games back or less heading into the first Tigers series. But even if he are back 5 or 6 games, I'll still be hopeful, because we would control our destiny.

To everyone who gave up, don't rip us for holding out up. Just accept that we disagree and move on.

Well said. I might be joining the chorus of no-hopers IF the Sox had already made a big run this year and Detroit did not look capable of giving the division away. Things look bleak because they are, but let's not forget the teams involved. Detroit can't count on teams giving games away to the them like Tampa did all weekend long, as last night's game against KC showed.

KMcMahon817
09-09-2009, 03:11 PM

AMEN to that. Say you're being realistic if you want, but the point in being a fan is to maintain hope, until all hope is destroyed. It's not destroyed until that elimination number is 0. Go Sox, Go Royals!!:D:

hawkjt
09-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I will hang in there until it is clear they cannot go into the last 10 days at 6 games or less.
Do you think that Tiger fans are confident about those last ten games vs the Sox and Twins?
I know if I was in their position, I would still feel like that 10 days are still hanging over their heads like the Sword of Damocles...but maybe Tiger fans are not as insecure as I am when it comes to the Sox...but I doubt it.

mcfish
09-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I will hang in there until it is clear they cannot go into the last 10 days at 6 games or less.
Do you think that Tiger fans are confident about those last ten games vs the Sox and Twins?
I know if I was in their position, I would still feel like that 10 days are still hanging over their heads like the Sword of Damocles...but maybe Tiger fans are not as insecure as I am when it comes to the Sox...but I doubt it.
so what you're saying is: 7 games up on 9/9 and you're a nervous wreck; 7 games down with 2 teams in front of you on 9/9 and it's blue skies all around. More power to ya...

hawkjt
09-09-2009, 05:30 PM
so what you're saying is: 7 games up on 9/9 and you're a nervous wreck; 7 games down with 2 teams in front of you on 9/9 and it's blue skies all around. More power to ya...

All I am saying is that if the Tiger fans are still nervous about playing 13 more games with the Twins and Sox, then I am not totally devoid of any hope and that if situations were reversed, I would feel much better than I do now,but I would still be nervous about that closing stretch.

Of course so many Sox fans were totally comfortable 4 years ago this month as September wound down,confident that the Sox would easily prevail...righttttt.

PennStater98r
09-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I say again: **** football.

**** football indeed. Yes. **** football indeed.

(and that's coming from a Penn State graduate - WHAT?!)

thomas35forever
09-09-2009, 07:16 PM
I say again: **** football.

**** football indeed. Yes. **** football indeed.

(and that's coming from a Penn State graduate - WHAT?!)
What about hockey and basketball?

illinifan1368
09-10-2009, 12:03 AM
6.5!

shingo10
09-10-2009, 12:07 AM
We pick up another game or two over the weekend and things will get real interesting.

Wins like these do so much to raise the collective hope and hopefully the Sox start feeling it.

Conversely Detroit might start to be feeling the early stages of what could be a frantic finish.

Keep it going boys...

oeo
09-10-2009, 12:09 AM
We pick up another game or two over the weekend and things will get real interesting.

Wins like these do so much to raise the collective hope and hopefully the Sox start feeling it.

Conversely Detroit might start to be feeling the early stages of what could be a frantic finish.

Keep it going boys...

Sure would have been nice if the Rays' bullpen didn't blow all three of those games against the Tigers.

At the same time it sure would have been nice if we didn't blow a few handful of games earlier in the year.

soxfanreggie
09-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Would be really nice if the A's could go take at least 2 of 3 from the Twins. We need the Twins to lose as many games as they can now in order to have them sweep the Tigers.

oeo
09-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Would be really nice if the A's could go take at least 2 of 3 from the Twins. We need the Twins to lose as many games as they can now in order to have them sweep the Tigers.

I think we need the Twins to stick around. 13 of the Tigers' final 16 are against the Twins and Sox. On the other hand, the Twins and Sox only have 3 left between them. Both of them stick around, it's not over. One of them drops out and starts playing the kids, it's over.

Lawson
09-10-2009, 09:27 AM
I remain among the hopeful.

Thanks, Alexei. Thanks, A.J.

Go Sox!

GoSox2K3
09-10-2009, 09:36 AM
If the Sox really believe they can make a run at this, then they should seriously consider benching Dye and making Kotsay a regular starter from here on out. If he stays in the lineup night after night at this point, then Ozzie isn't serious about making a playoff run.

Dye has been absolutely abysmal the 2nd half. He's pretty much an automatic out in the heart of our lineup right now and we're not going on any sort of a run with him in the middle of the order.

Anyone who still thinks the Sox are going to pick up Dye's $12 million option for next year is smoking crack.

And yes, I know Rios has been terrible too.

hawkjt
09-10-2009, 09:37 AM
I think we need the Twins to stick around. 13 of the Tigers' final 16 are against the Twins and Sox. On the other hand, the Twins and Sox only have 3 left between them. Both of them stick around, it's not over. One of them drops out and starts playing the kids, it's over.

While I would not mind if the twins would lose to the Jays today and a couple to the A's this weekend, I do think that if the Twins are playing decent going into those 7 games vs the Tigers, it will not hurt the Sox cause. Catching the Twins is the easy part,with them coming to chicago for 3...they do not play all that great in Chicago. We need to piggyback on the tigers...and run them down. If the twins are close in that last week going into detroit, it is likely the Sox will be also. Give me a classic 3 team clusterfart that last week to make it interesting!

Sad
09-10-2009, 09:43 AM
thank God it's football season :bandance:

BEARSssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !!!

illinifan1368
09-10-2009, 09:50 AM
thank God it's football season :bandance:

BEARSssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !!!
:scratch:

Lawson
09-10-2009, 09:51 AM
With respect to the 7 games between the Twins and Tigers, will the four-game series be played in Minnesota or in Detroit?

Go Sox!

asindc
09-10-2009, 09:52 AM
If the Sox really believe they can make a run at this, then they should seriously consider benching Dye and making Kotsay a regular starter from here on out. If he stays in the lineup night after night at this point, then Ozzie isn't serious about making a playoff run.

Dye has been absolutely abysmal the 2nd half. He's pretty much an automatic out in the heart of our lineup right now and we're not going on any sort of a run with him in the middle of the order.

Anyone who still thinks the Sox are going to pick up Dye's $12 million option for next year is smoking crack.

And yes, I know Rios has been terrible too.

I'm at the point where I agree with this, and Dye is my favorite player on the team. He seems totally out of sorts at the plate these days. If a pitcher gets ahead of him 1-2 or 0-2, he has virtually no hope of getting on base now. Maybe sitting him for a series might help to clear his mind, as I don't think it's a physical problem. Who knows, though, he might be injured without us knowing it.

illinifan1368
09-10-2009, 10:03 AM
With respect to the 7 games between the Twins and Tigers, will the four-game series be played in Minnesota or in Detroit?

Go Sox!
4 in Detroit the last week of the season

Lawson
09-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Illinifan1368.

Go Sox!

hawkjt
09-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm at the point where I agree with this, and Dye is my favorite player on the team. He seems totally out of sorts at the plate these days. If a pitcher gets ahead of him 1-2 or 0-2, he has virtually no hope of getting on base now. Maybe sitting him for a series might help to clear his mind, as I don't think it's a physical problem. Who knows, though, he might be injured without us knowing it.

yea, Dye has to sit vs all righthanded starters anyway. Time for worrying about bruised feelings is past, Kotsay is hot, play him vs righthanded pitching. Like most fans, I like and respect JD,but this long national nightmare must end...He has dropped from .303 to .257 in the last six weeks.

Waysouthsider
09-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Agreed...I hate professional football.....its become just like "big time wrestling" these days...all hype and tv production....good luck with that, football fans...plus, now there is the ugly violence and crime element that seems to be permeating the sport.

I also agree with playing Kotsay....love JD, but wow is he struggling...

Law11
09-10-2009, 01:17 PM

Cheers to you for keeping the dream. I'm tired of getting excited because of a few wins in a row like its some huge accomplishment only to have the bullpen or our defense or lack of clutch hitting bring me back down to earth. Im embracing the reality of the fact that this season has been another of missed opportunities against teams like Cleveland and Baltimore. Or the fact that we cant close out series when we have had the chance to on 9 different occasions. There is no FUN in giving up, but Im tired of the mood Im in after bull**** loss after bull**** loss and have decided to step back and focus on the Bears. They only have the potential to drive me nuts 3 hours a week.
If the boys of summer wake up and get within 2 or 3 going into the final week. I'll take my blood pressure pills and get ready for the ride.

kaufsox
09-10-2009, 01:25 PM
a good road trip will go a long way to how excited I get. When the Tigers come to town if the Sox are 3-4 games out, it is definitely within reach.

sox1970
09-10-2009, 01:31 PM
a good road trip will go a long way to how excited I get. When the Tigers come to town if the Sox are 3-4 games out, it is definitely within reach.

When the Sox host the Tigers, the Sox will have 9 games left and the Tigers will have 10 games left. So to get within miracle range, the Sox will have to be 3.5 or 4.5 games out.

KMcMahon817
09-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Cheers to you for keeping the dream. I'm tired of getting excited because of a few wins in a row like its some huge accomplishment only to have the bullpen or our defense or lack of clutch hitting bring me back down to earth. Im embracing the reality of the fact that this season has been another of missed opportunities against teams like Cleveland and Baltimore. Or the fact that we cant close out series when we have had the chance to on 9 different occasions. There is no FUN in giving up, but Im tired of the mood Im in after bull**** loss after bull**** loss and have decided to step back and focus on the Bears. They only have the potential to drive me nuts 3 hours a week.
If the boys of summer wake up and get within 2 or 3 going into the final week. I'll take my blood pressure pills and get ready for the ride.

That right there is the definition of a fair weather fan. :rolleyes:

illinifan1368
09-10-2009, 01:41 PM
That right there is the definition of a fair weather fan. :rolleyes:
:scratch: No it isn't.

KMcMahon817
09-10-2009, 01:53 PM
:scratch: No it isn't.

If you read his whole comment he said that he has given up and is now focused on the Bears. But, then he ends with an IF they wake up, he will jump back on the bandwagon. That's a fair weather fan.:scratch:

fram40
09-10-2009, 01:53 PM
4 in Detroit the last week of the season

The Tigers finish playing 13 consecutive days - 3 @ Tribe, 3 @ Sox, then home for 4 vs Twins, 3 vs Sox.

Going to be an exciting last week at Comerica.

illinifan1368
09-10-2009, 01:55 PM
If you read his whole comment he said that he has given up and is now focused on the Bears. But, then he ends with an IF they wake up, he will jump back on the bandwagon. That's a fair weather fan.:scratch:
You're right, I just read what you you quoted. My apologies.

downstairs
09-10-2009, 01:57 PM
We have to sweep all 6 from Detroit, and play 1 game better than them in the other games. We have to play 2 games better than Minnesota. Detroit and Minnesota most likely have to split their games.

That's the only way I can see us winning.

I say its about a 5% chance.

illinifan1368
09-10-2009, 02:02 PM
We have to sweep all 6 from Detroit, and play 1 game better than them in the other games. We have to play 2 games better than Minnesota. Detroit and Minnesota most likely have to split their games.

That's the only way I can see us winning.

I say its about a 5% chance.
We don't have to sweep Detroit. I think 5 of 6 will get it done. I think the key is getting it to within 4.5 by Sept 25 when the first Det game is.

Gammons Peter
09-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Royals up 2-0 right now, we can pick up a half game

illinifan1368
09-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Royals up 2-0 right now, we can pick up a half game
Twins lost too.

Here is an analogy I came up with for my poker playing brethren. We go all-in at the World Series of Poker with pocket 5's. The Tigers call us with A-K and hit an ace on the flop. Now are we going to just muck our hand and walk away or are we going to hope like hell that we catch a 5 on the river? Nobody mucks their hand in that situation, which exactly why it pisses me off when people come around proclaiming the season over, cause it isn't.

KMcMahon817
09-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Twins lost too.

Here is an analogy I came up with for my poker playing brethren. We go all-in at the World Series of Poker with pocket 5's. The Tigers call us with A-K and hit an ace on the flop. Now are we going to just muck our hand and walk away or are we going to hope like hell that we catch a 5 on the river? Nobody mucks their hand in that situation, which exactly why it pisses me off when people come around proclaiming the season over, cause it isn't.

Well said.

kittle42
09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Twins lost too.

It is a good analogy, because the turn there is about 8% and the river 4%, which is right about where I put the Sox' chances. There is always a chance until you are completely done - but it's a small one here.

asindc
09-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Twins lost too.

I nominate this for post-of-stretch-drive.

DaveFeelsRight
09-10-2009, 05:25 PM
we will clinch the division in the detroit...just like we did in 2005.

BringBackBlkJack
09-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Twins lose, Tigers lose. Sox are 6 games out. Allow me to reiterate the thread title.

twinsuck1
09-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Tigers lose again!!!!! :D:

illinifan1368
09-10-2009, 05:31 PM
It is a good analogy, because the turn there is about 8% and the river 4%, which is right about where I put the Sox' chances. There is always a chance until you are completely done - but it's a small one here.

I know what the odds are, and I honestly don't care.

Well said.

I nominate this for post-of-stretch-drive.

Thanks guys.

kittle42
09-10-2009, 05:39 PM

All in!

Lawson
09-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Yesssss!

KC smacks the Tigers and once again the baseball gods remind some fans that it is folly to assume the outcome of any game, or any series.

Both rivals lose and we are 6 back with a bullet!

Go Sox!

areilly
09-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Both rivals lose and we are 6 back with a bullet!

Go Sox!

Team of Destiny!

shingo10
09-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Thank you KC!

Now onto our part. Let's come alive on the road and make even more interesting.

kaufsox
09-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Thanks guys.

to quote Han Solo "Never tell me the odds."

GO SOX!

FielderJones
09-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm still holding out the slimmest of hope, but Carl thinks we're done (http://smellslikemascot.blogspot.com/2009/09/corner-of-hope-and-crazy.html).

everafan
09-11-2009, 11:43 AM
We don't have to sweep Detroit. I think 5 of 6 will get it done. I think the key is getting it to within 4.5 by Sept 25 when the first Det game is.

Why is everyone saying we have 6 games left with Detroit - we only have 3?????

FielderJones
09-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Why is everyone saying we have 6 games left with Detroit - we only have 3?????

You need to look at the October (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=10&y=2009) page.

everafan
09-11-2009, 11:52 AM
You need to look at the October (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=10&y=2009) page.
Oops

illinifan1368
09-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm still holding out the slimmest of hope, but Carl thinks we're done (http://smellslikemascot.blogspot.com/2009/09/corner-of-hope-and-crazy.html).

I didn't get that. It seems like he is 50/50

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I didn't get that. It seems like he is 50/50

Oh the irony....

Lawson
09-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I am looking forward to this West Coast trip.

Go Sox! Improve upon this month's winning record!

pudge
09-11-2009, 01:57 PM
We pick up 2 games a week until the end of the season - Black Out Part II, here we come...

PushinWeight
09-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Let's see, 6 games out with 6 to play against the tigers. We're not done yet. We do not need a 2007 Rockies-like run to win this thing either. Detroit is no juggernaut that can only be taken with a 19-1 finish. Of course this all depends on the Sox playing winning baseball from here on out, but bigger comebacks/collapses have happened in this game before.

GoSox2K3
09-11-2009, 03:55 PM
1 for 16 with runners in scoring position on Wednesday. Same old 2009 White Sox.....hardly a team that is showing any sign of making a miracle run for the playoffs.

At least we should have a good rotation from here on out with Peavy returning, Garcia/Floyd/Danks pitching well, and Buehrle perhaps back on track. But it's too little, too late. Our offense has too many holes with Rios and Dye being close to automatic outs for us.

hawkjt
09-11-2009, 04:02 PM
The Angels are hot again, which is a real problem. When the Tigers were out there a few weeks ago, the Angels were in a cold funk and the tigers took that series. The Rays and Angels series are the ones I expected the tigers to stumble and they did not. Now, they have given some back in KC,but Sox need to come back from two tough opponents next thursday no more than 5 back. Then they have KC at home while the Tigers are at Minny....we need to pick up a couple there, then hammer the twins ,then hammer the tigers,which could set up a fun finish. Long odds, but hey, I just cannot get into early season football while there is baseball hope,however slim.

Nellie_Fox
09-11-2009, 04:31 PM
I just cannot get into early season football while there is baseball hope,however slim.:thumbsup:

illinifan1368
09-11-2009, 09:23 PM
How many GB before the casual/fair weather fans come back and the media realizes that we have a shot?

JB98
09-11-2009, 11:53 PM
How many GB before the casual/fair weather fans come back and the media realizes that we have a shot?

They are a losing team.

illinifan1368
09-12-2009, 12:01 AM
They are a losing team.
Do you have to hijack every thread with your negativity?

Law11
09-12-2009, 12:25 AM

Where did I say I'll jump on the bandwagon.. You have no clue who I am. You go ahead and make your little ideations of what you think a fair weather fan is. My home is covered in Sox memorablilia. I fly my flag year round. Because Im tired of taking out how upset I get loss after loss on my family with my foul mood Im stepping back from watching the games. If they get back in it then I'll put myself back on that edge again. Dont classify people that you have no information about mr 120 posts.

Hitmen77
09-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Do you have to hijack every thread with your negativity?

It's not negativity, it's cold hard reality. This team is mediocre.

BleacherBandit
09-12-2009, 12:57 AM
It's not negativity, it's cold hard reality. This team is mediocre.

Yeah, whether they're any good and whether they have a chance are two different questions though.

I still don't think they have any chances, but whatever. If KW actually does his job this offseason, we'll be in contention from the start in 2010.

Nellie_Fox
09-12-2009, 01:05 AM
Dont classify people that you have no information about mr 120 posts.You are not your post count.
Daver

JB98
09-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Yeah, whether they're any good and whether they have a chance are two different questions though.

I still don't think they have any chances, but whatever. If KW actually does his job this offseason, we'll be in contention from the start in 2010.

I'm actually feeling pretty good about our chances for next season. The foundation is there. A few good moves by KW this winter and we've got a shot.

But I don't think they have a shot this year. Earlier, I took exception to a poster suggesting that I'm somehow "casual" or "fair-weather" because I happen to think the team is toast for for 2009. I'm still watching the team and cheering for them. I just think they are a .500-or-so squad. I've felt that way all year.

Lip Man 1
09-12-2009, 01:15 AM
And they've played that way all year too. Any other division they'd have been toast in July.

Lip

Noneck
09-12-2009, 01:26 AM
This season has been put to bed for awhile now. There will be a next year and a lot more to look forward to that this one. Any false hope really makes life difficult, Its time for all to bury this season once and for all.

captainclutch24
09-12-2009, 01:34 AM
I love weed almost as much as the guy who started this thread apparently

Mod edit: You've been warned before about personal attacks. See you in five days.

shingo10
09-12-2009, 01:45 AM
I love weed almost as much as the guy who started this thread apparently

That's completely uncalled for.

I started this thread with the hope that the Sox could get hot and that Detroit could come crashing back down. Since then Detroit has not won a game and the Sox have been playing their .500 ball.

Whatever happens, happens.

All I wanted was to stir some hope up that there could be meaningful baseball being played when we play Detroit on our next homestand. I still believe that's a possibility.

I feel that a personal attack in this case is extremely uncalled for.

Lawson
09-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I am glad that you started this thread, Shingo10.

It provides those of us who still have hope with a place to share our feelings of optimism. No matter what occurs during these final games, thank you for your effort:D:

Go Sox!

oeo
09-12-2009, 02:51 PM
And they've played that way all year too. Any other division they'd have been toast in July.

Lip

Really? Thanks for that information, I didn't know the division sucked.

Good god, everyone knows the odds are against them. Everyone knows the division sucks. Who cares? What else is there to watch for? You and some others come here every night to spew the same ****. People are aware, they would just rather watch the games with a little excitement.

Lawson
09-12-2009, 02:59 PM
I could not have said it better, oeo.

Go Sox!

KMcMahon817
09-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Where did I say I'll jump on the bandwagon.. You have no clue who I am. You go ahead and make your little ideations of what you think a fair weather fan is. My home is covered in Sox memorablilia. I fly my flag year round. Because Im tired of taking out how upset I get loss after loss on my family with my foul mood Im stepping back from watching the games. If they get back in it then I'll put myself back on that edge again. Dont classify people that you have no information about mr 120 posts.

Haha, okay buddy.:rolleyes:

shingo10
09-12-2009, 10:34 PM
5 back!

Keep creeping up there guys.

MushMouth
09-12-2009, 10:41 PM
honestly, this is ridiculous, the door is still open... if we can pick up 2 games this week we will be playing a scared/jittery tigers team.

gosox41
09-12-2009, 11:01 PM
1 for 16 with runners in scoring position on Wednesday. Same old 2009 White Sox.....hardly a team that is showing any sign of making a miracle run for the playoffs.

At least we should have a good rotation from here on out with Peavy returning, Garcia/Floyd/Danks pitching well, and Buehrle perhaps back on track. But it's too little, too late. Our offense has too many holes with Rios and Dye being close to automatic outs for us.

I was pretty much going to post this but you beat me to it. Our offense is below average. Not sure why Rios can't shake this slump. Not sure what's wrong with JD. It would be nice if TCQ would go back to what made him so great last year--shortening his swing when the situation calls for it and going with the pitch. Right now he seems to want to jack everything out.

These 3 guys are killing the Sox chances and they haven't helped simce the start of the second half (or in Rios case since he came here in August.) I'm OK with the way the rest of the team is hitting but the boppers need to produce.

The only positive (and it's a stretch) is that KW has finally learned the value of speed and guys who play baseball and not guys who swing for the fences for the 2010 season.

Bob

Lip Man 1
09-13-2009, 01:08 AM
OEO:

I was agreeing with JB's comment, you weren't part of the discussion. Take a sedative and have a wonderful off season. No one is denying you the right to hope as much as your little heart will let you.

Lip

twentywontowin
09-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Last year was much more grim. Win three games against three different teams three days in a row to get in?

We're in much better shape than that right now.

oeo
09-13-2009, 01:16 AM
OEO:

I was agreeing with JB's comment, you weren't part of the discussion. Take a sedative and have a wonderful off season. No one is denying you the right to hope as much as your little heart will let you.

Lip

I forgot I needed permission to be part of a discussion on a forum. :scratch: Next time I'll ask. If you didn't want it to be read or commented on, you should have sent him a PM. :dunno:

Lip Man 1
09-13-2009, 01:23 AM
And if you don't like what some are saying about the team don't read the thread... then you can relax and keep those fantasies alive that the team will make a miraculous comeback in a mediocre division.

Lip

oeo
09-13-2009, 01:26 AM
And if you don't like what some are saying about the team don't read the thread... then you can relax and keep those fantasies alive that the team will make a miraculous comeback in a mediocre division.

Lip

The thread is called "Don't Stop Believing". If I knew there were going to be people gracing us with their knowledge of how bad the division is and how bad the odds are, I probably wouldn't be reading it, but it's not called, "It's all over, pack it up and go home". There are plenty of other doom and gloom threads around, go spew your crap there. Everyone knows the odds, everyone knows the division is bad, I've already said this. Do you really feel it necessary to keep telling everyone that? Do you think we're idiots?

voodoochile
09-13-2009, 01:27 AM
Alright, lets all take a deep breath and maybe just walk away from one another...

KMcMahon817
09-13-2009, 03:32 AM
The thread is called "Don't Stop Believing". If I knew there were going to be people gracing us with their knowledge of how bad the division is and how bad the odds are, I probably wouldn't be reading it, but it's not called, "It's all over, pack it up and go home". There are plenty of other doom and gloom threads around, go spew your crap there. Everyone knows the odds, everyone knows the division is bad, I've already said this. Do you really feel it necessary to keep telling everyone that? Do you think we're idiots?

AMEN to that!!! WHOOOW!! Go White SOX!! We got this!!

cards press box
09-13-2009, 05:14 AM

Lip

The AL Central has, no doubt, been mediocre. The Sox never said so but they were rebuilding this year and are only close because the division is not that great.

Having said that, I hope they do make a run at Detroit and the division title, if only to foster the development of their younger players. Remember this spring when the Bulls made the playoffs? No one thought they had a realistic chance of winning anything but almost everyone agreed that making the playoffs would help Derrick Rose develop into a better player. The Bulls then won the opener of the Boston series and Rose, if I'm not mistaken, tied either Wilt Chamberlain or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for the scoring record of a rookie in their first playoff game. The Bulls lost that memorable series in 7 games but it was a long-term positive for Rose, Joakim Noah and Tyrus Thomas.

If the Sox are 2 or 3 GB when they play Detroit on 9/25, that could only be a positive for the development of Gordon Beckham and Chris Getz.

Lawson
09-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Tense, exciting games in September that have an impact on the hunt for the postseason. That is what I dream of as a fan.

Go Sox!

southside rocks
09-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I go back and forth ... When the Sox play well, I'm happy and it's really all I can ask for in a year that has featured rebuilding on the fly, injuries that lingered for several players, and various question-marks. When they don't play well, I'm frustrated and angry, because they are playing beneath their abilities.

It's the quality of play more than the wins and losses that gets me to react.

I want the Sox to play well so that they can do these things:

1. Have a winning season: finish over .500. This is necessary for self-respect.

2. Keep the race in the division close: because the rest of the ALC teams are also fairly feeble this year, there is a chance that the Sox can make the post-season, even if it is by some fluke.

3. Finish ahead of the Twins even if they (the Sox) do not win the division: second place would be okay with me if the Twinkies were third and the Sox were over .500.

So yeah, I still find there is a lot to watch for and I am still going to games!

basilesox
09-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I think the Seattle series a crucial series in which we need to win at least two if not sweep. Detroit has three against KC and will undoubtedly win two out of three. If we stay within four or five it will set us up well for a huge home series for 9 against KC, Minny, and Detroit.

I wont lie we will need to prob sweep detroit still and go 7-2 or 8-1 on the homestand, but we took 3 out of 4 against the Yanks and the BoSox so i think there is a chance we can get it done. We need some major help from our enemies in the north, who needs to take at least 3 if not 4, but I think we can get this done.

ChicagoG19
09-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I think the Seattle series a crucial series in which we need to win at least two if not sweep. Detroit has three against KC and will undoubtedly win two out of three. If we stay within four or five it will set us up well for a huge home series for 9 against KC, Minny, and Detroit.

I wont lie we will need to prob sweep detroit still and go 7-2 or 8-1 on the homestand, but we took 3 out of 4 against the Yanks and the BoSox so i think there is a chance we can get it done. We need some major help from our enemies in the north, who needs to take at least 3 if not 4, but I think we can get this done.

I know that the series was in KC, but Detroit just got swept by the Royals.

Madscout
09-13-2009, 01:35 PM
5 games back and in second place. Let's keep it up boys!

Hitmen77
09-13-2009, 05:04 PM
The problem I have with getting any hopes up for this team is that KW already stopped believing. He did so when he traded Thome. I know Jim wasn't setting the world on fire, but my goodness at least he was still contributing hits and power to our lineup. Now we're left with both Dye and Rios being pretty close to automatic outs in our lineup.

If the Sox were serious about going for the playoffs this season, they could have benched Dye if Thome was still around. I understand that the Sox benefit by having the Dodgers pay perhaps $1 million of Jim's remaining salary, and that might come in handy for any acquisitions for 2010. But, IMO the Sox themselves gave up on this season on 8/31.:whiteflag:

southside rocks
09-13-2009, 05:32 PM
The problem I have with getting any hopes up for this team is that KW already stopped believing. He did so when he traded Thome. I know Jim wasn't setting the world on fire, but my goodness at least he was still contributing hits and power to our lineup. Now we're left with both Dye and Rios being pretty close to automatic outs in our lineup.

If the Sox were serious about going for the playoffs this season, they could have benched Dye if Thome was still around. I understand that the Sox benefit by having the Dodgers pay perhaps $1 million of Jim's remaining salary, and that might come in handy for any acquisitions for 2010. But, IMO the Sox themselves gave up on this season on 8/31.:whiteflag:

I disagree with this. I think KW did not give up on the Sox going to the post-season in 2009, but realistically he knows that they are the longest of shots to get to the World Series this year. The Dodgers have a far greater chance, and so Thome, who has said that he wants to WS ring in his career, chose to accept the trade that the Dodgers proposed.

I don't see that as KW giving up on this team this year, since I never had any World Series hopes for this team this year and I don't think anyone else ever did, either. He made a move that increases Thome's chances at a ring, that's all.

And nobody, least of all KW, foresaw Rios being an "automatic out" when the Sox acquired him. That's been a nasty surprise!