PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie wants Kotsay to return for 2010

Sockinchisox
09-07-2009, 05:01 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090907&content_id=6839336&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

I hope he returns, he's pretty versatile off the bench.

spongyfungy
09-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I heard Ken Rosenthal mention this on Saturday on Fox. Ozzie says that it's his leadership in the clubhouse that makes him valuable to the club

Craig Grebeck
09-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Only on the bench.

MarkZ35
09-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I like Kotsay but I would rather Pods coming back next year.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Only if he promises to keep the beard.

I don't know why exactly, but I've come to think of Mark Kotsay as "The Anti-Swisher." I really hope they bring him back.

35th and Shields
09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
I like Kotsay but I would rather Pods coming back next year.

Bring them both back, I can't imagine either will be looking to break the bank.

KnightSox
09-07-2009, 05:24 PM
The more AB's Kotsay gets the better he looks, plus the veteran presence does not hurt.

asindc
09-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Only if he promises to keep the beard.

I don't know why exactly, but I've come to think of Mark Kotsay as "The Anti-Swisher." I really hope they bring him back.

Anti-Swisher... I like that.

soxfanreggie
09-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I have been a Kotsay fan since he came here and would really like him to come back next year. He has made the most of his opportunities and should play a lot more.

ramblinsoxfan11
09-07-2009, 05:53 PM
He's a versatile player to have off the bench, and definitely a class act. Bring em back :D:

Brian26
09-07-2009, 06:03 PM
The guy takes good swings, has good at-bats and generally puts the ball in play. He's been a pleasant surprise.

hawkjt
09-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I am on record wanting Kotsay back to backup all outfield postions,first base, and DH if needed. He is now healthy and made less than 2 million last year...I think you could get him for maybe two years- 3 million ...and Pods for the same. Then let JD go and bring in Abreu for like 3 years 15 million to be rightfielder/dh. Then you have plenty of leftys for those tough right handed pitchers...and Pods hits leftys good also. Carlos can be rightfielder, Abreu DH,Pods leftfield,Rios Center...Kotsay backup PK..nice mix. JD's 12 million would probably pay for Abreu,Pods and Kotsay...with 4 million leftover to find another relief pitcher or leave room for additions in July. Marlon Byrd might be a good guy to go after also to fill JD's slot...
I like JD a lot, but I just am not sure he is worth 12 million at any position.

Boondock Saint
09-07-2009, 06:17 PM
When we traded for him, I didn't expect anything from him except a fresh pair of legs to put in the field when an OF or Paulie needs a day off. He's been a lot more than that, and would be happy to see him back next year.

Bob Roarman
09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
As long as we don't make him out to be more than he is, then yeah.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-07-2009, 06:52 PM
That is in line with what KW was saying about not having a guy who only DH's next year. He wants someone who can also play the field. Kotsay in that role would allow Ozzie to give a day off for RF, LF, and 1B, plus he could DH. There's something to be said for that. Plus, Kotsay is a left-handed bat, another plus.

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Does anyone know if Kotsay is looking for a full-time role for himself, or is he open to a bench role at this stage of his career?

TDog
09-07-2009, 07:43 PM

I don't know why exactly, but I've come to think of Mark Kotsay as "The Anti-Swisher." ....

That's an interesting concept, and not far from what I've been thinking since Swisher was traded to the White Sox.

Kotsay was a pretty good centerfielder for the A's. When he went down with an injury in 2007, the A's moved Swisher to center. When the White Sox traded for a centerfielder before the 2008 season, they traded for Nick Swisher. Some of us thought they should have traded for Kotsay, who was dealt to the Braves less than two weeks later.

Hitmen77
09-07-2009, 08:15 PM
I'd like to see him back as a bench player. Nice to know that Ozzie wants him back. I wonder if Mark has any interest in returning to the White Sox.

Is there any chance that the Sox bring back Pods as a 4th OF and bring back Kotsay for next year? If not, is it one of either Pods or Kotsay that they bring back?

.....or are the Sox planning to bring both and have Pods as a starting OF for 2010 (which I think would be a mistake)?

A. Cavatica
09-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Only on the bench.

At least if Ozzie starts him he'll do less damage to the batting order than Erstad or Wise.

SOXfnNlansing
09-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Maybe he can learn how to catch so we can have a b/u catcher who can hit!

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-07-2009, 09:05 PM
I expected very little when we traded for him, but now it seems like we have quite the piece to the puzzle on the club. I really like his D and his bat as well. It sucks that if we bring him AND Pods back we're stuck with 4 OFs, given that Dye doesn't come back and 5 if he does. Pods has definately filled the leadoff spot quite well, minus a couple baserunning mistakes. Anyone think Getz can leadoff?

ndgt10
09-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Who would have thought Kotsay would be completely outperforming Rios? At this point, I'd want Kotsay back before Rios, unfortunately we are stuck with Rios and his big big big contract.

ChiSoxGirl
09-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I'd like to see him back as a bench player. Nice to know that Ozzie wants him back. I wonder if Mark has any interest in returning to the White Sox.

Is there any chance that the Sox bring back Pods as a 4th OF and bring back Kotsay for next year? If not, is it one of either Pods or Kotsay that they bring back?

.....or are the Sox planning to bring both and have Pods as a starting OF for 2010 (which I think would be a mistake)?

During the broadcast this afternoon, Farmer mentioned that he sees Kotsay as the modern-day Ross Gload, Kotsay's role is the same as Gload's was.

oeo
09-07-2009, 09:50 PM
During the broadcast this afternoon, Farmer mentioned that he sees Kotsay as the modern-day Ross Gload, Kotsay's role is the same as Gload's was.

Gload played the outfield like he was blind.

ChiSoxGirl
09-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Gload played the outfield like he was blind.

Farmer meant with the bat- a guy off the bench, pretty good hitter, etc.

Dibbs
09-07-2009, 10:22 PM
I like him too. He is playing much better than the broken down player I thought he was.

Cuck the Fubs
09-07-2009, 10:37 PM
I'd love to see Mark return....he offers quite a bit in a back up role.

I would have to think Pods & him return...we'll see

tstrike2000
09-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Kotsay's always been a pretty good hitter. Yeah, he's in the twilight of his career, but it's nice to have a bench guy that has a clue up at the plate compared to what we have been putting there before he came.

BainesHOF
09-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Kotsay is a ballplayer. He has more baseball sense than most of the players on the team. He needs to return in 2010. I know that Boston is loaded, but it made a mistake trading him. You win with players like Kotsay. He knows how to play the game.

Podsednik, on the other hand, has no clue how to play the game. As great as he's been at the plate, and he's been truly great, he's been equally as bad on the bases. Plus he's incompetent in the field.

We haven't gotten very far with good hitters who have major flaws. In Podsednik's case, his baserunning and fielding are major flaws. For some reason, he's become significantly worse in these departments since 2005. I believe you'd be making a major mistake if you think he's going to repeat this career year at the plate next season. He needs to go no matter what the consequences. He's not part of the solution.

Tragg
09-07-2009, 11:29 PM
We haven't gotten very far with good hitters who have major flaws. In Podsednik's case, his baserunning and fielding are major flaws. For some reason, he's become significantly worse in these departments since 2005. I believe you'd be making a major mistake if you think he's going to repeat this career year at the plate next season. He needs to go no matter what the consequences. He's not part of the solution.
Agree. Just no room for him. TCQ is our left fielder; Rios is the CF; Pods at DH is absolutely absurd.
We need 2 outfielders for next year. A fourth or fifth outfielder (depending on how one views Kotsay) and an athletic starting right fielder.
No more clowning with 30+ year old AAA players in the starting lineup if we want to contend.

hawkjt
09-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Get rid of Pods and we are back to last April with no leadoff hitter. Everyone loves Figgins,but he is a worse baserunner than Pods,getting picked off 11 times this year and caught stealing 16 times..both lead the league. There are no leadoff guys out there for the Sox to grab. Put Pods in left, Carlos in right,Rios in Center, retain Kotsay and add another good outfield and mix and match between outfield and dh. More flex that way.
Pods has been passable in left field, and oh by the way, is the second best hitter on the team this year.
The Sox are desperate for high average hitters and they are going to discard their second best hitter who actually hits over .300? Crazy. Pods steal bases,so he is aggressive,like Figgins, and gets picked off. Most leadoff basestealers do get picked off. Pods cannot play center field,but we got Rios to do that. In left he has only cost us a few runs this year, whereas he leads the team in runs scored,bases stolen, on base,second in hitting, has 44 rbis, all in 4 months...not bad for a leadoff guy.

Mohoney
09-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Kotsay is pretty versatile, and this team is lacking in versatility.

I would think it's a no-brainer to bring him back in a bench role, if he's willing to do that.

SCCWS
09-08-2009, 07:31 AM
The Red Sox may also want Kotsay back. Francona, like Ozzie, said he was a great clubhouse guy.

Tragg
09-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Get rid of Pods and we are back to last April with no leadoff hitter. .
Can Podsednik get this level of production 2 years in a row? He never has before. His obp very good, but that's it. His D is bad and he has no position.
Beckham could lead off and would likely be better at it than Podsednik.

hawkjt
09-08-2009, 09:54 AM
I do not want Beckham leading off...he is a run producer,who is a doubles machine and will hit 25 hrs. I want him hitting 3rd if JD is gone...he is our best clutch hitter,and would be wasted at leadoff,imo. Pluse the wear and tear of trying to steal 30-40 bags would tire him out. Let a true basestealer leadoff.

FielderJones
09-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Get rid of Pods and we are back to last April with no leadoff hitter. Everyone loves Figgins,but he is a worse baserunner than Pods,getting picked off 11 times this year and caught stealing 16 times..both lead the league. There are no leadoff guys out there for the Sox to grab. Put Pods in left, Carlos in right,Rios in Center, retain Kotsay and add another good outfield and mix and match between outfield and dh. More flex that way.
Pods has been passable in left field, and oh by the way, is the second best hitter on the team this year.
The Sox are desperate for high average hitters and they are going to discard their second best hitter who actually hits over .300? Crazy. Pods steal bases,so he is aggressive,like Figgins, and gets picked off. Most leadoff basestealers do get picked off. Pods cannot play center field,but we got Rios to do that. In left he has only cost us a few runs this year, whereas he leads the team in runs scored,bases stolen, on base,second in hitting, has 44 rbis, all in 4 months...not bad for a leadoff guy.

:clap:

I truly do not understand all the Pods hate here. All the guy has done is fill the gaping leadoff hole that we had all April. Nearly every game he has given the opposing starting pitcher fits by getting on base and being a threat to steal. The number of early game runs he has scored vastly outweigh the pickoffs and baserunning blunders.

Jim Shorts
09-08-2009, 10:13 AM

I truly do not understand all the Pods hate here. All the guy has done is fill the gaping leadoff hole that we had all April. Nearly every game he has given the opposing starting pitcher fits by getting on base and being a threat to steal. The number of early game runs he has scored vastly outweigh the pickoffs and baserunning blunders.

I don't sense any hate, it's just no one has seen Pods produce like this for two consecutive years. Every indication seems to hit he'll return to normal. It's my fear as well. Pods will want another two years and while his salary won't be much, my fear is it will be wasted just to thank him for his performance this year.

hawkjt
09-08-2009, 10:14 AM
I think it is the overall defense that has fans looking for players to scapegoat...Pods has had issues, but the infield has been far worse. The thing about the infield is that is almost a certainty that Gordo,Alexei,Getz/Nix, and PK will be back. So fans are looking for other defenders to change. Thing is, if Pods stays in left, I really do not think getting a replacement will do much in terms of actual game results. Left field is the refuge for bad fielders anyway. Now, Carlos is right might not be great ,but I do think Rios in center covers a lot of range issues.

All I know is that this offense was lost until a real leadoff guy,Pods, showed up in May. Leadoff guys that can steal,and bother the pitcher are hard to find and will be either very expensive,or have other flaws. Part of harrassing the pitcher is also getting picked off as Figgins and Pods have shown.

asindc
09-08-2009, 10:21 AM

I agree with this 100%, especially since there are no apparent alternatives to him that would make financial sense or not cause other lineup problems. Even if Pods regresses to .270 BA, he would still be the best leadoff hitter on the team. The fact that he leads the team in runs scored despite not starting the season with the team should tell you everything you need to know.

hi im skot
09-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I think it is the overall defense that has fans looking for players to scapegoat...Pods has had issues, but the infield has been far worse. The thing about the infield is that is almost a certainty that Gordo,Alexei,Getz/Nix, and PK will be back. So fans are looking for other defenders to change. Thing is, if Pods stays in left, I really do not think getting a replacement will do much in terms of actual game results. Left field is the refuge for bad fielders anyway. Now, Carlos is right might not be great ,but I do think Rios in center covers a lot of range issues.

All I know is that this offense was lost until a real leadoff guy,Pods, showed up in May. Leadoff guys that can steal,and bother the pitcher are hard to find and will be either very expensive,or have other flaws. Part of harrassing the pitcher is also getting picked off as Figgins and Pods have shown.

I'm not a huge Podsednik fan, but he's obviously done a real solid job in the leadoff spot. I don't understand all the Figgins love, and I'd much rather have the 2005/2009 Podsednik to the current Figgins. Of course, the big question is will Pods duplicate his 2009 output?

We've been waiting for him to fall off since his hot start this season, and frankly, he hasn't. Maybe, just maybe, he's figured things out.

As far as defense is concerned, obviously he's average at best. However, if our infield defense improves (which it has over the past week or so), I can live with him out in leftfield from time to time.

asindc
09-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm not a huge Podsednik fan, but he's obviously done a real solid job in the leadoff spot. I don't understand all the Figgins love, and I'd much rather have the 2005/2009 Podsednik to the current Figgins. Of course, the big question is will Pods duplicate his 2009 output?

We've been waiting for him to fall off since his hot start this season, and frankly, he hasn't. Maybe, just maybe, he's figured things out.

As far as defense is concerned, obviously he's average at best. However, if our infield defense improves (which it has over the past week or so), I can live with him out in leftfield from time to time.

Pods said right after the Sox brought him up that he has learned more about how to stay in shape throughout a season, and that he is in better shape now than even four years ago. I think as long as he and Ozzie manage his situation well, he will be productive. If you look closely at his track record, his play suffered only when he was playing hurt.

hi im skot
09-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Pods said right after the Sox brought him up that he has learned more about how to stay in shape throughout a season, and that he is in better shape now than even four years ago. I think as long as he and Ozzie manage his situation well, he will be productive. If you look closely at his track record, his play suffered only when he was playing hurt.

I read that as well. If he stays healthy, we could see more good things.

Lillian
09-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't sense any hate, it's just no one has seen Pods produce like this for two consecutive years. Every indication seems to hit he'll return to normal. It's my fear as well. Pods will want another two years and while his salary won't be much, my fear is it will be wasted just to thank him for his performance this year.

The fact that Pods has never had two consecutive seasons of good production can be explained. The first time that he dipped in production was with the Brewers. He admitted that he tried to hit for more power, which is reflected by his career high 12 homers that year. He seems to understand his own game better than ever at this point. His approach now is all about making contact, and he seems to have learned the skill quite well.

The second time that his production fell off was following his first year with the Sox, in which he led off very successfully. His run scoring production was a big part of the teams championship season. If you look at how the team struggled in the second half that year, when he was hampered by the groin injury, you can see how important he was to the Sox in '05.

His problems over the last three years are the result of his slow recovery from the groin injuries. If he can stay healthy, I don't see any reason why we should expect him to revert back to his poor seasons level of play.
He insists that he has discovered how to properly condition himself for baseball, and he does appear healthier than we have seen him since the first half of '05.

I don't think that he is the best leadoff guy around, but he's certainly not the reason that this team has struggled. In fact, without him, they would be much worse. There are many other more important holes to fill, like more bullpen arms and a left handed bat.

The fact that the Sox finally have a true centerfielder makes it possible for Pods to play LF, which is the only position suited for him. He isn't that much of a liability in Left. My bigger concern is whether or not Rios can get back to being the offensive player that he was until this year.

Nelfox02
09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
I was never Pods's bigggest fan, even during 2005, but even I have to admit that we would be a lot worse, and out of this race a long time ago, if not for him do I think he can be as effective next season if we bring him back? I dont know.....but is he better than having Wise or some AAA experiment lead off? heck yeah

I just have no faith in the Sox doing ANYTHING this off season, we all saw how empty that park was tonight......get used to seeing that the rest of the year all that coin dropped on Peavy and Rios.....even with all the money coming off the books I just dont see them going out there and addressing the holes

how shocked is anyone if this is the starting line up next year

Pods LF
Beckham 3B
AJ C
Konerko DH
Quentin RF
Rios CF
Kotsay 1B (good thing we did keep him, he takes over when Ozzie cant stand fields strking out 3 times a game for a month)
TCM SS
Getz 2B

Danielgosox38
09-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Kotsay seems like he has a great time playing the game. I would LOVE for the Sox to bring him back, I am afraid though that the Red Sox will try to re-sign him and he will chose to go back there.

Boondock Saint
09-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Kotsay seems like he has a great time playing the game. I would LOVE for the Sox to bring him back, I am afraid though that the Red Sox will try to re-sign him and he will chose to go back there.

Why would Boston try to re-sign him? They DFA'd him!

soxinem1
09-19-2009, 08:44 PM
That is in line with what KW was saying about not having a guy who only DH's next year. He wants someone who can also play the field. Kotsay in that role would allow Ozzie to give a day off for RF, LF, and 1B, plus he could DH. There's something to be said for that. Plus, Kotsay is a left-handed bat, another plus.

I see Kotsay as more like the anti-Erstad. Back up at 1B, any OF position, PH/DH..... Like Erstad should have.

Kotsay seems to really blend in well here. I see him joking around with players and fans (like that trick he tried to play on the fan the other night asking for the ball back).

He has been productive offensively and defensively.

Yes, indeed, bring him back!

Frontman
09-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Every bench needs a player who "knows his role."

Kotsay comes across as knowing he's utility; and that he'll play his rear off when he gets in the game, but isn't doing so to 'prove he's a starter.'

Not only is he anti-Erstad; but I'd go so far to say he's anti-Swisher too. Swish was over the top, Kotsay seems more rooted down to having fun and playing to win, period.

Danielgosox38
09-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Why would Boston try to re-sign him? They DFA'd him!

From what I remember, Boston regretted that decision. It was in a Boston newspaper or something.

slavko
09-20-2009, 12:27 AM
The Red Sox may also want Kotsay back. Francona, like Ozzie, said he was a great clubhouse guy.

They were going to release him until we gave them a player in trade. Goes against corporate psychology to want back a player you released. It's like, well, admitting you were wrong. Yosh Kawano is a great clubhouse guy.

StillMissOzzie
09-20-2009, 12:32 AM
I'd welcome Kotsay back in a heartbeat, too, but has anyone considered whether or not Kotsay is interested in returning to the role the Sox have to offer? I think that Kotsay is entering that phase of his career where he has to decide between:
A) A backup / utility role with a possible contender (the Sox)
B) A starting position with a perennial out-of-contention team, who might offer a bit more $

As for Abreau, someone else thought that the Sox could get him for 3 yrs/$15M. He signed with the Angels for 2009 for $5M after initially asking for a lot more, presumably because the Angels had a better shot at the post-season. I don't think that, after the year he has had, that he'd take 3 more years at the same pay level to jump ship and come over to the Sox. And even that is assuming that the Angels don't want him back, because the Sox won't outbid the Angels anyhow.

SMO
:gulp:

TheBigHurtST
09-20-2009, 04:45 AM
I am on record wanting Kotsay back to backup all outfield postions,first base, and DH if needed. He is now healthy and made less than 2 million last year...I think you could get him for maybe two years- 3 million ...and Pods for the same. Then let JD go and bring in Abreu for like 3 years 15 million to be rightfielder/dh. Then you have plenty of leftys for those tough right handed pitchers...and Pods hits leftys good also. Carlos can be rightfielder, Abreu DH,Pods leftfield,Rios Center...Kotsay backup PK..nice mix. JD's 12 million would probably pay for Abreu,Pods and Kotsay...with 4 million leftover to find another relief pitcher or leave room for additions in July. Marlon Byrd might be a good guy to go after also to fill JD's slot...
I like JD a lot, but I just am not sure he is worth 12 million at any position.

No, no, no! In a hypothetical assumption we have Abreau, I do not like Pods/Abreau as our sole LF/DH options. Pods would be better as DH and Abreau in the field. But if he gets injured we'd be screwed and that leads right back to the same problem this team has had for years now. We need solid players for their positions with insurace. I want no part of both Pods and Abreau on this team, quite frankly.

TheBigHurtST
09-20-2009, 04:49 AM

You don't understand? Absolutely terrible defense and base-running... what's not to understand about that? YES, Pods has been great offensively, and I appreciate it more than anyone, but we really need to find a better solution.

kufram
09-20-2009, 06:52 AM
You don't understand? Absolutely terrible defense and base-running... what's not to understand about that? YES, Pods has been great offensively, and I appreciate it more than anyone, but we really need to find a better solution.

Pods defense will not be as bad because he will be in left and have a good centerfielder to help. His baserunning issues are way overplayed. Base stealers get picked off and thrown out. The value of a leadoff on base as much as Pods is is immeasurable. At least let the guy play himself off the team instead of predicting failure. He looks healthier than ever to me.

Bring Kotsay back. We need him for the younger players if nothing else

Martinigirl
09-20-2009, 12:20 PM

I truly do not understand all the Pods hate here.

Don't even try. It is impossible to understand the irrational.

SCCWS
09-20-2009, 12:37 PM
They were going to release him until we gave them a player in trade. Goes against corporate psychology to want back a player you released. It's like, well, admitting you were wrong. .

Ummm lets see---- Pods-Colon-Garcia. I believe they are all former White Sox.
Red Sox you say??? They recently added Gonzalez and Byrd to their playoff drive. Both were let go previously.

Before Kotsay was let go, Francona lobbied to keep him.

SteveFakeBlood
09-23-2009, 02:18 PM
We should take Kotsay back no question. He was our only pick-up this year who has contributed immediately (rookies don't count) and as people mentioned, he plays hard and seems like a great "lead by example" type.

Someone else mentioned Getz leading off if we dump Pods. Which I think is an interesting avenue that hasn't been explored- he's been very quietly productive: his .267/.329 isn't too far off from Beckham's .269/.343... granted he doesn't have Beckham's absurd slugging percentage/power numbers, but he is a fantastic base runner (25 steals in 27 attempts) and I think is worth getting a shot at leadoff- it may be the time of year to start experimenting with him in that role.

Nonetheless, I say bring back Pods if we can do it at a reasonable price. His glove is devastating in Center, but not too big a liability in Left and if it doesn't work out for him in a starting role, I think he's a valuable guy to have on the bench.

Carlos in Right intrigues me, but I know he hasn't played there in years because he went from an A+ arm to a slightly above average one after shoulder surgery, not sure he can get the ball to the infield as quickly as Dye who is only a slightly above average right fielder but has a better arm than TCQ.

I can't believe people think we actually have a shot at Figgins or Abreu. I think fans still have stars in their eyes over the Peavy and Rios pick-ups and there's a huge difference of picking up players from dying teams as opposed to attempting to outbid the West Coast version of the Red Sox/Yankees.

Possible 2010 lineup

LF Podsednik
2B Getz
CF Rios
DH Konerko
RF TCQ
3B Beckham
C AJ
SS TCM
1B Kotsay

Bench: Nix, Flowers, random free agent signings.

Flowers could DH and serve as a back-up catcher when needed or we could just start Flowers at DH and have Konerko stay at 1st and spell all of the outfielders with Kotsay.

I think every hitter in that lineup has the potential to hit at least .280, four guys could hit 30 Homers (Konerko, TCQ, Rios and Beckham), four guys could steal 20 bases (Pods, Getz, Rios and TCM). Sounds like the '09 Angels. Obviously, I'm being optimistic- all those things won't happen, but the fact that they potentially could excites me.

~Steve

KMcMahon817
09-23-2009, 02:31 PM
We should take Kotsay back no question. He was our only pick-up this year who has contributed immediately (rookies don't count) and as people mentioned, he plays hard and seems like a great "lead by example" type.

Someone else mentioned Getz leading off if we dump Pods. Which I think is an interesting avenue that hasn't been explored- he's been very quietly productive: his .267/.329 isn't too far off from Beckham's .269/.343... granted he doesn't have Beckham's absurd slugging percentage/power numbers, but he is a fantastic base runner (25 steals in 27 attempts) and I think is worth getting a shot at leadoff- it may be the time of year to start experimenting with him in that role.

Nonetheless, I say bring back Pods if we can do it at a reasonable price. His glove is devastating in Center, but not too big a liability in Left and if it doesn't work out for him in a starting role, I think he's a valuable guy to have on the bench.

Carlos in Right intrigues me, but I know he hasn't played there in years because he went from an A+ arm to a slightly above average one after shoulder surgery, not sure he can get the ball to the infield as quickly as Dye who is only a slightly above average right fielder but has a better arm than TCQ.

I can't believe people think we actually have a shot at Figgins or Abreu. I think fans still have stars in their eyes over the Peavy and Rios pick-ups and there's a huge difference of picking up players from dying teams as opposed to attempting to outbid the West Coast version of the Red Sox/Yankees.

Possible 2010 lineup

LF Podsednik
2B Getz
CF Rios
DH Konerko
RF TCQ
3B Beckham
C AJ
SS TCM
1B Kotsay

Bench: Nix, Flowers, random free agent signings.

Flowers could DH and serve as a back-up catcher when needed or we could just start Flowers at DH and have Konerko stay at 1st and spell all of the outfielders with Kotsay.

I think every hitter in that lineup has the potential to hit at least .280, four guys could hit 30 Homers (Konerko, TCQ, Rios and Beckham), four guys could steal 20 bases (Pods, Getz, Rios and TCM). Sounds like the '09 Angels. Obviously, I'm being optimistic- all those things won't happen, but the fact that they potentially could excites me.

~Steve

That's way too similar to what we're seeing day and and day out, and it clearly isn't working. Kenny needs to make an addition or two if he plans on going anywhere. I think that line up has the potential to be MUCH better than they are playing right now, but I, personally, would rather see a productive new face or two.