PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Kotsay in, White Sox win!" 9/7 postgame thread

hi im skot
09-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Good to have you back, Mark.

DrGiggles
09-07-2009, 04:36 PM
It's looking like we're at least going to give them a show to finish off the year. Go Sox!!! Great game.

FielderJones
Mr Perfect wins again! Great job by Buehrle, Kotsay, and some nice insurance by TCQ!

:winner

gobears1987
Buehrle was simply dealing. It was also nice to see that 3rd inning with great situational hitting.

eastchicagosoxfan
Right on. I followed on Gamecast, was he dealing rather effortlessly?

veeter
09-07-2009, 04:37 PM
It's not "All Doom and Gloom" today. Great job by Mark. Fine bullpen work. Nice score padding homerun by Carlos.

hi im skot
09-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Right on. I followed on Gamecast, was he dealing rather effortlessly?

Classic Buehrle outing - worked quickly, scattered hits, and got the big outs when he needed them.

BadBobbyJenks
09-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Pena is one of the 7 wonders of the world. Great 8th inning.

DirtySox
09-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Pena is one of the 7 wonders of the world. Great 8th inning.

I love his stuff, but am rather confused by the results sometimes. I hope he finds some consistency next year.

veeter
09-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Three out of four against a very good team. Nice series. This team will always be a mystery, because they have the talent to win. 40 games over .500 for Mr. Buehrle!!

soltrain21
09-07-2009, 04:43 PM
It's looking like we're at least going to give them a show to finish off the year. Go Sox!!! Great game.

You think we are going to beat back into the division race? I don't think so. Nice game - I hope we can finish above .500.

hi im skot
09-07-2009, 04:44 PM
You think we are going to beat back into the division race? I don't think so. Nice game - I hope we can finish above .500.

Do you even like this team?!?

eastchicagosoxfan
09-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Classic Buehrle outing - worked quickly, scattered hits, and got the big outs when he needed them.
Kick Ass!!! Was it 1995 that the Angels blew a big lead to the Mariners? Let that season serve as inspiration.

hi im skot
09-07-2009, 04:45 PM
How pissed do you think Joe Cowley is right now?

kittle42
09-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Do you even like this team?!?

Not this version. Well, at least not the version we had before this series.

hi im skot
09-07-2009, 04:48 PM

soltrain doesn't like anything. However, I agree 100% with his assessment of the 2009 White Sox.

Hitmen77
09-07-2009, 04:48 PM

I don't. But I'm still pulling for them to have a strong finish.

3 of 4 vs. Boston is great to see. Great pitching from Mark, Gavin, and Freddy.

What are the chances of the Sox re-signing Kotsay for next year? He'd be great to have off the bench....though I'd imagine he's looking to go somewhere where he can start.

October26
09-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Happy to see our Sox take 3 out of 4 against the boSox at home. Also glad to see Buehrle pitch well today and get the win. I'm the one doin' a happy dance now:bandance: that is for sure!

BadBobbyJenks
09-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Hooray!

FielderJones
09-07-2009, 04:52 PM
What are the chances of the Sox re-signing Kotsay for next year? He'd be great to have off the bench....though I'd imagine he's looking to go somewhere where he can start.

I'm sure he could start in Pittsburgh. If I were him, I'd rather be a role player with the team that gave me a second chance than a starter on a dismal non-contender.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-07-2009, 04:53 PM
soltrain doesn't like anything. However, I agree 100% with his assessment of the 2009 White Sox.
Until someone puts a price on hope, why not maintain it?

hi im skot
09-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Until someone puts a price on hope, why not maintain it?

At this point, I'm thrilled with seeing them put together a decent effort at the end.

Beating Boston is always a good thing.

slavko
09-07-2009, 04:59 PM
If they keep Kotsay, Wise is gone. Pena throws a sensational moving fastball at 95. Two seamer? Buehrle got some calls didn't he? Makeup for the blown call on Kotsay maybe. He needs some work on rounding third base, though.

Tragg
09-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Nobody's signing Kotsay as a starter - come on. He would be a nice player for next year. Guillen loves utility talent, an he's a pretty good one.

I hope the mental errors decrease next year. They cost the Sox several games this year, but fortunately not this one. The 2nd inning could have huge - we only made 1 out. Baserunning and 2nd inning bunting gave them 2 outs.
Excellent pitching.

Britt Burns
09-07-2009, 05:18 PM
3 out of 4 from the Red Sox...go figure. This team is impossible to figure out.

voodoochile
09-07-2009, 05:19 PM
I love his stuff, but am rather confused by the results sometimes. I hope he finds some consistency next year.

He needs to stick with his harder stuff more often and he'll be fine.

Good win, didn't get to see it. Damned shame the kittens seem to have gotten their act together at the same time the Sox did without that nasty crash and burn 2-9 road trip thrown in there.

Ah well...

:soxwin:

:)

twinsuck
09-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Enjoy the win while you can! Be happy, we won the series! :smile:

Brewski
09-07-2009, 05:20 PM
If they keep Kotsay, Wise is gone. Pena throws a sensational moving fastball at 95. Two seamer? Buehrle got some calls didn't he? Makeup for the blown call on Kotsay maybe. He needs some work on rounding third base, though.

Those calls Buehrle got could be the difference between today and his previous starts! The home plate umpire is the most important guy on the field, right?

BleacherBandit
09-07-2009, 05:22 PM
He needs to stick with his harder stuff more often and he'll be fine.

Good win, didn't get to see it. Damned shame the kittens seem to have gotten their act together at the same time the Sox did without that nasty crash and burn 2-9 road trip thrown in there.

Ah well...

:soxwin:

:)

It seems that when the Sox win, the Tigers do as well. When the Sox lose, however, they still find ways to win.

At least they've kept me into the season this long, I'll give them that. This ain't no 2007.

Lip Man 1
09-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Mark had pitched some stinkers since the perfect game but remember he also pitched some very good games only to get no decision because his offense tanked yet again. And Mark hasn't been very "lucky"...he's matching up a lot with the other teams best pitcher...Hernandez, Sabathia, Beckett etc.

Nice job today. 13 wins to go for the winning season.

Lip

oeo
09-07-2009, 05:27 PM
It seems that when the Sox win, the Tigers do as well. When the Sox lose, however, they still find ways to win.

Well, if the Rays bullpen didn't start getting into the gift-giving business, the Sox could have gained a couple of games this weekend, rather than lose a half game. They walked EIGHT guys in 6 IP against the Tigers.

BleacherBandit
09-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Well, if the Rays bullpen didn't start getting into the gift-giving business, the Sox could have gained a couple of games this weekend, rather than lose a half game. They walked EIGHT guys in 6 IP against the Tigers.

And they'll probably find some help by playing the Royals next. However, we have two easy games to win coming up so hopefully we'll keep up with them.

GoGoCrede
09-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Again, much fun to be at the ballpark. Really, it was perfect game weather, which is why I was surprised to see so many UD seats empty. I usually don't go to day games, but this was great. Nancy adds so much to the atmosphere.

Buehrle pitched out of some real jams. I was holding my breath there. Rios got heckled from the fans in my section.

Kotsay is awesome. So is TCQ. And Buehrle.

My game record is now 6-2.

Woofer
09-07-2009, 05:52 PM
This was a great series win for our Sox. Is it too little, too late? Probably. We still have 6 to go against Detroit, but they had a pretty good week also. I would have hoped that Tampa would have showed up against the Tigers, that has left the Sox in their very big hole.

The Sox just need to keep playing hard, and maybe we can gain enough ground to make the 6 games against Detroit interesting.

GoGoCrede
09-07-2009, 05:53 PM
How pissed do you think Joe Cowley is right now?

I've noticed his tweets are few and far in between since we've started to win. COINCIDENCE?! :tongue:

hi im skot
09-07-2009, 06:03 PM
I've noticed his tweets are few and far in between since we've started to win. COINCIDENCE?! :tongue:

I've noticed that as well.

palehozenychicty
09-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Kotsay is a good player on a contending team. He helped the Sawx out last October too. Nice win today against Beckett.

Brian26
09-07-2009, 07:07 PM
3 out of 4 from the Red Sox...go figure. This team is impossible to figure out.

Yep. Watch them go out and stink up the joint against the A's before sweeping the Angels over the weekend.

Buehrle's 12th victory on the season, and he easily should have 15 wins right now if the bullpen would have done their job this summer.

hawkjt
09-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I've noticed that as well.

Cowley's sarcasm only works when the Sox lose.

Nice win today. Good to see Pods continue to get on base...3 hits and a walk vs Beckett. Kotsay got the big blow tho. And Carlos found a nugget.

So we end up going 7-8 vs the two best teams in baseball but lose all kinds of games to Oakland,Cleveland,KC and Baltimore. No doubt our issues vs those 4 teams have killed us this year. Tigers could not do squat vs Toronto,Boston or NY...but killed the Tribe,KC and Oakland.

Sox need to 19-4 to match last years record, but doubt that will be enough to win the division the way the Tigers have the magic horseshoe crammed up their arse.

Boondock Saint
09-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Mark had pitched some stinkers since the perfect game but remember he also pitched some very good games only to get no decision because his offense tanked yet again. And Mark hasn't been very "lucky"...he's matching up a lot with the other teams best pitcher...Hernandez, Sabathia, Beckett etc.

Nice job today. 13 wins to go for the winning season.

Lip

That's a good point. Buehrle's been kind of shaky since the perfect game, but he hasn't been just bad. I think the awful road trip just kind of overshadowed when someone performed well, because it wasn't getting us any wins.

Frankfan4life
09-07-2009, 08:43 PM
It was a great day to be at the ballpark today. I totally enjoyed the game. However, I was very disappointed with the size of the crowd. I expected to see a full house on a holiday weekend. Shameful!

Railsplitter
09-07-2009, 08:45 PM
It was a great day to be at the ballpark today. I totally enjoyed the game. However, I was very disappointed with the size of the crowd. I expected to see a full house on a holiday weekend. Shameful!
Perhaps a reaction to the "premium" ticket prices imposed for the Faux Sox.

TheVulture
09-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Kotsay is a better ballplayer than Pods and at least a few other OFers the Sox have trotted out there in recent years. If the Sox bring Kotsay back and have five better players at the positions he could fill, I'll be impressed.

WhiteSox1989
09-07-2009, 09:37 PM
I am happy to see the Sox win.

Lip Man 1
09-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Skot and all:

Toni Ginnetti has been covering the Sox - Boston series over the weekend for the Sun-Times just as Van Dyke has been covering it for the Tribune.

Joe and Mark got the weekend off from the beat after spending almost two straight weeks on the road.

Lip

salty99
09-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Yep. Watch them go out and stink up the joint against the A's before sweeping the Angels over the weekend.

Buehrle's 12th victory on the season, and he easily should have 15 wins right now if the bullpen would have done their job this summer.

Oh no, we are now doomed to finish the next 5 games 0-5 and Buehrle won't win another game this season!!!

Jurr
09-08-2009, 11:31 AM

What's also funny is another thing that happened before the Sox started to win. COINCIDENCE? Nope.

spongyfungy
09-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Sportscenter east coast bias in full effect today. I'm watching the highlights this morning and I could not believe the blatant favoritism.

Starts off with Red Sox being mentioned as being 2 ahead of the Rangers in the loss column. Then says Buehrle was anything but perfect today.
showed a Lowell 6-4-3 double play, Martinez popping up to Rios on a bases loaded, Varitek striking out on what seemed a borderline high strike.

Then they show Jason Bay fouling a pitch to left field line . "Is that a gametying two run shot off of Tony Pena?"

Then the next pitch shown is a called strike 3. Then the announcer asks " Is this strike 3? Perhaps in Chicago it is" What the hell is that? Then they show a TCQ homer in the end.

The exact opposite highlights are shown on espnchicago.com and it's the same guy reading it

salty99
09-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Well you do know that the umpire behind the plate, Mark Carlson, is from Joliet, so of course there is a bias!

Oh yeah he was also the one who ejected Zambrano before he Z went on his mad tirade.

spawn
09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Then the next pitch shown is a called strike 3. Then the announcer asks " Is this strike 3? Perhaps in Chicago it is" What the hell is that? Then they show a TCQ homer in the end.

That pitch was right there on the outside corner. There's no way it wasn't a strike.

Waysouthsider
09-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Wow did he ever play hard this weekend...! And Mark was dealing yesterday...shame we didn't get him run support in half the games since the perfecto...

Shane