PDA

View Full Version : Contreras vs. D'backs Sat. Night

michned
09-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Jose looking good. 83 pitches through 6, 5K, 1BB, 1ER (home run to Brandon Allen). Rox up 3-1.

GoGoCrede
09-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Jose looking good. 83 pitches through 6, 5K, 1BB, 1ER (home run to Brandon Allen). Rox up 3-1.

:bandance:Congrats, Jose. Couldn't be happier for you.

DumpJerry
09-05-2009, 10:23 PM
The other BA hit a home run off Contreras?!?! Darn you, Kenny.:angry::angry::rolleyes:

Hitmen77
09-05-2009, 10:38 PM
The other BA hit a home run off Contreras?!?! Darn you, Kenny.:angry::angry::rolleyes:

Brandon Allen is only 597 HRs away from 600! KW is an idiot! I think Brandon Allen is going to join Jeremy Reed and Chris Young in the ex-Sox Hall of Fame.

I'm glad Jose had a good outing. I'm actually not surprised by this....but that doesn't mean I think he would have done well if he remained a Sox starter.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-05-2009, 10:52 PM
If only we could have gotten that kind of result from our starter today...oh, wait, what I really mean is, if only we could have gotten it from the guy who took Jose's place in the rotation...oh, wait...

Congrats, Jose - I'll be rooting for you and Big Jim all the way to the NLCS!

Whappeh
09-05-2009, 11:27 PM
imo it just shows how easy the National league is. He is just the newest player in a long line of AL guys that go to the NL and return to winning form.

ClawsDeep
09-05-2009, 11:46 PM
imo it just shows how easy the National league is. He is just the newest player in a long line of AL guys that go to the NL and return to winning form.

I wonder why this doesnt get much more play? Brad Penny and John Smoltz.
What makes the NL so much easier? Because one out of every 9 batters is an out?

When you think about it though, doesnt it seem like there are way more 'stars' in the NL as batsmen?

Pujols, Fielder, Braun, HanRam, Utley, Wright? What AL batter really compare?

Mauer and Cabrera.

WhiteSox1989
09-06-2009, 12:04 AM
This makes me happy. Good for him!

johnnyg83
09-06-2009, 12:09 AM
I wonder why this doesnt get much more play? Brad Penny and John Smoltz.
What makes the NL so much easier? Because one out of every 9 batters is an out?

When you think about it though, doesnt it seem like there are way more 'stars' in the NL as batsmen?

Pujols, Fielder, Braun, HanRam, Utley, Wright? What AL batter really compare?

Mauer and Cabrera.

It actually scares me about Peavy. When was the last big FA to suck going from the AL to the NL ... Zito?

soxnut1018
09-06-2009, 12:21 AM
You can't turn on an NL West game and not see some member of the 05 White Sox these days.

ChiSox81
09-06-2009, 12:30 AM
It actually scares me about Peavy. When was the last big FA to suck going from the AL to the NL ... Zito?

I know Peavy's numbers have been worse outside of Petco but I am sure Coop will work with him to make him as effective in the AL.

TDog
09-06-2009, 01:22 AM

Not really. Contreras was only as good as his control. He also had hitters who didn't have a lot of experience with him and hadn't learned to lay off of his sinker, helping him out.

It isn't a matter of AL pitchers going to the NL and looking good proving that AL is superior. NL pitchers who move to the AL late in the season can be just as impressive. Last season, Sean Gallagher held the Angels to two hits in seven innings in winning his first start for the A's after being traded from the Cubs. Rich Harden pitched well after coming over from the A's, but he really hasn't been a better pitcher in the NL.

tsoxman
09-06-2009, 08:09 AM
I know Peavy's numbers have been worse outside of Petco but I am sure Coop will work with him to make him as effective in the AL.

Once and for all, can we please take the assumption that "Coop can fix anything" and junk it. Didn't we learn anyhting from 2007 and the horrible Tony Pena acquisition where we gave up a solid prospect for nothing?

Whitesox029
09-06-2009, 07:39 PM
There's some related news over at The Onion. I can't get the link to work properly here, but it's the newest story under Sports/Baseball.

GlassSox
09-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Good for Jose, nothing but best wishes.

DickAllen72
09-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Good for Jose, nothing but best wishes.
Ditto.

wilburaga
09-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Ditto.

Tritto

W

oeo
09-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Once and for all, can we please take the assumption that "Coop can fix anything" and junk it. Didn't we learn anyhting from 2007 and the horrible Tony Pena acquisition where we gave up a solid prospect for nothing?

Oh, I forgot the book was already closed on Tony Pena. :scratch:

Dibbs
09-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Brandon Allen is only 597 HRs away from 600! KW is an idiot! I think Brandon Allen is going to join Jeremy Reed and Chris Young in the ex-Sox Hall of Fame.

Yeah, and I am positive Tony Pena is going to have similar success as Vazquez and Freddy Garcia.

doublem23
09-08-2009, 08:44 AM
While there's something to be said for the switch from the AL to the NL, I think it's also pretty obvious Jose was pressing and trying a bit too hard to impress everyone here. A change in scenery will do him wonders, I think.

Hitmen77
09-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh, I forgot the book was already closed on Tony Pena. :scratch:

Haven't you heard? If Pena doesn't equal the success of Garcia or Vazquez then he's worthless and this trade was a failure!

tacosalbarojas
09-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Tritto

W
Quattro.