PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Garcia

Danielgosox38
09-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Freddy has completely suprised me, and I must admit, that I was wrong about him. I am very happy for the turn around that he has had this season, and he has pitched very well for us. We could obviously sign Freddy for very cheap for next year, so my question is, do you want KW to re-sign Freddy for next year?

jcw218
09-05-2009, 02:52 AM
It depends on the price that Freddy is willing to take and if the Sox management thinks any of the youngsters (Hudson/Torres) are ready for the season's long haul

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-05-2009, 03:53 AM
Yes. But don't just hand him the job. Hudson and Torres could be possibilities for the 5th spot, but we should keep Freddy as a backup in case someone goes down. I don't know if he'd be willing to go to the minors, but he should be at least though of as an option for next year should something go wrong, or if both Hudson and Torres aren't ready. Price depends too, but If we can sign Colon for $1 mil, then I'm sure we can get Freddy for about the same/a little more.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Yes. But don't just hand him the job. Hudson and Torres could be possibilities for the 5th spot, but we should keep Freddy as a backup in case someone goes down. I don't know if he'd be willing to go to the minors, but he should be at least though of as an option for next year should something go wrong, or if both Hudson and Torres aren't ready. Price depends too, but If we can sign Colon for $1 mil, then I'm sure we can get Freddy for about the same/a little more.

The Sox already have an option on Freddy for 2010 that pays him $1 million, that includes $2 million in incentives based on innings pitched.

dickallen15
09-05-2009, 07:11 AM
I read last week the Sox have a $1 million option on Freddy for next season with $2 million in incentives.. I would imagine if he has no physical problems for the next month, he's pretty much a lock to come back.

hawkjt
09-05-2009, 07:50 AM
I read last week the Sox have a $1 million option on Freddy for next season with $2 million in incentives.. I would imagine if he has no physical problems for the next month, he's pretty much a lock to come back.

Nice job there kenny...always looking ahead. Now, sometimes it does not work a la Colon, but still, it is good to have options on Freddy.
Freddy might just re-invent himself as the tricky soft tosser. His ball was moving all over last nite, yet he threw strikes...good combo.

voodoochile
09-05-2009, 08:48 AM

Cots doesn't list that option, not that they are perfect, but would like to see some confirmation on that before accepting it as true.

If Freddie comes back, Torres probably goes to long relief, Hudson gets one more year in AAA, Carrasco goes to 7th inning man and Nunez joins Pena as the bridge guys. Need another lefty unless they stick with Williams, which wouldn't entirely suck.

Edit: Makes the bullpen:

Torres - long relief
Linebrink - junk and if he finds a groove again, he can move
Nunez - young guy working his way in
Williams - loogy
Pena - bridge
Carrasco - 7th
Thornton - 8th
Jenks - closer

Decent talent and experience, but one too many guys. Maybe Torres gets traded while his value is high figuring Hudson is almost ready anyway. I have no problem with Garcia being given the 5th starter job

Madscout
09-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Cots doesn't list that option, not that they are perfect, but would like to see some confirmation on that before accepting it as true.

If Freddie comes back, Torres probably goes to long relief, Hudson gets one more year in AAA, Carrasco goes to 7th inning man and Nunez joins Pena as the bridge guys. Need another lefty unless they stick with Williams, which wouldn't entirely suck.

Torres - long relief
Williams - loogy
Pena - bridge
Carrasco - 7th
Thornton - 8th
Jenks - closer

Decent talent and experience, but one too many guys. Maybe Torres gets traded while his value is high figuring Hudson is almost ready anyway. I have no problem with Garcia being given the 5th starter job
Having Peavy makes things that much easier doesn't it.

I don't know if I like moving DJ out of the role he has done so well with. I think the kid wants to be a starter, and he flat out should compete for that spot. If he doesn't get it, we potentially have two starters in the lineup who won't give us a lot of innings. Peavy because he is coming off injury, and Garcia who could be like he has been, or could have some games like Jose has had. Which begs the question, who would be 7 in his place. We payed good money for Linebrink, and we aren't going to get **** for him, even if he starts pitching well. Put him 7, and if he succeeds, keep him there. If he fails, by the time we figure that out, there will be a reliever that isn't and you put him in.

soxfanreggie
09-05-2009, 10:18 AM
With what he's given us lately, we have to give him a look. He's a pretty cheap option to start the season (as would Hudson be), but he'll really have to make sure he has a good offseason conditioning program to stay in shape to be able to get back to pre-2007 form. I'm not saying he has to give us 200 innings, but it would be great to get over 125 innings from him. That would be approximately 20 starts (give or take a few).

oeo
09-05-2009, 02:20 PM
If he keeps pitching like this, they need to bring him back. Who knows how long his shoulder holds up, but you will have Daniel Hudson waiting. Much better plan than this year when we had Contreras and Colon with no one to back them up (although we did get some good starts from Clayton).

BigKlu59
09-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Hey, right now if Freddie can give em 6-7 solid I'm happy with that. In fact all of the starters are keeping em in the game to that point.. Sox just arent coming back to win late this season.. I.E only have won 2 after 8 in 58 games... The BullPen has had no wiggle room... We leave em loaded late and our boys have spit the bit at crunch time. It also doesnt help we lead the league in giving other teams 4-5 outs an inning.

Torres and Hudson steal a couple and we'll be singing the next coming of Black Jack and Alvarez... Maybe this shuffle has become a good thing.. Stop relying on the long fly,squeezing the sawdust out of the bats and just play smart situational baseball...Seemed to work last night. Gtreat seeing for once Sox cleats leaving a rut on the base paths heading towards home plate...

BigKlu59

dickallen15
09-05-2009, 03:14 PM

Torres - long relief
Williams - loogy
Pena - bridge
Carrasco - 7th
Thornton - 8th
Jenks - closer

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-30-white-sox-brite-chicago-aug30,0,626806.story

I wouldn't think Gonzalez would make it up.

voodoochile
09-05-2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-30-white-sox-brite-chicago-aug30,0,626806.story

I wouldn't think Gonzalez would make it up.

No, I don't think so either. I just wanted to see it in print other than from posters here at WSI. Thanks for the link...