PDA

View Full Version : Is this the beginning of that run everyone was talking about?

ChicagoG19
09-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Everyone kept saying that eventually the sox would go on a run. I hope this is it.
We need that 14-2 or 15-3 run to make things interesting in the central.

thomas35forever
09-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Probably not. You know this team. Once they give you hope, they rip your heart right out.

gobears1987
09-05-2009, 12:42 AM
The odds are slim, but I'd rather live with hope and ride on every pitch than declare the season over and count days until pitchers and catchers report.

ChiSoxGirl
09-05-2009, 12:43 AM
The odds are slim, but I'd rather live with hope and ride on every pitch than declare the season over and count days until pitchers and catchers report.

This! I like the way you think, my friend.

Waysouthsider
09-05-2009, 12:46 AM
I know I'm re-energized...we had a great time tonight....how cool was Chris Getz, buy the way? I've been griping about all the stuff that's going wrong and haven't even been focused on how much he helps our defense...and offense tonight!

woohoo!

dwalteroo
09-05-2009, 12:50 AM

Totally agree. We've all been down this road before....Sox are 5 to 8 games out with about a month to go, usually have to catch the Twins, only to have them shut the door with a week or two to go.

The chances are slim, but I don't care. It ain't over til the fat lady sings.

DSpivack
09-05-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm certainly happy that they're playing better, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. Even the Nats had an 8-game winning streak this season.

tstrike2000
09-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Everyone kept saying that eventually the sox would go on a run. I hope this is it.

Realistically, probably not but we sure hope so.

Hitmen77
09-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Probably not. You know this team. Once they give you hope, they rip your heart right out.

Agreed. I'm not going to agonize over the standings anymore because it's probably too little, too late. BUT, I'm still rooting for a nice September run to end the season.

Nelfox02
09-05-2009, 01:06 AM
sort of what is being discussed on the 3 in 18 thread

Need the tigers to at least hiccup a bit tho, including this win tonight we have 18 games before we start a three game weekend set with them on 9-25....if they can find a way to go 8-10 (not even looking for them to have the unlikely total collapse, just a bit of a slump) and we can just get an 11-7 clip going, our fate is back somewhat in our hands

win that series, find yourself 3 games out, god willing less, and then you have 3 at the Indians, and you end the season at Detroit, lets at least make that a series that counts........

KnightSox
09-05-2009, 01:39 AM
You know this team. Once they give you hope, they rip your heart right out.Sadly, I must agree.

But if they do continue the run, it all goes back to the 9th inning in the dome.

WhiteSox5187
09-05-2009, 02:02 AM
Of course I'd love to see them go on a tear here, but I'm not exactly holding my breath with anticipation.

oeo
09-05-2009, 02:20 AM
If it was, you just jinxed it now.

Domeshot17
09-05-2009, 02:20 AM
nope, because the Tigers have been winning as well. The Sox pissed away 99.99% of their chances when they failed to capitalize on the Tigers treading water.

oeo
09-05-2009, 02:22 AM
nope, because the Tigers have been winning as well. The Sox pissed away 99.99% of their chances when they failed to capitalize on the Tigers treading water.

The Tigers have been winning at home, which they've done all year. They tried their best to piss tonight's game away. Had Maddon pinch run for Pena, they probably would have tied it. Sorry, the Tigers aren't a great team, either. I think we can get back in this thing as long as we just worry about ourselves.

I don't think the division is up because the Tigers still have 13 games left with the Twins and Sox (9 of those are the final games of the season). Having the Twins still in the race, I think will work in our advantage considering we only have 3 left with them, at home.

hawkjt
09-05-2009, 09:08 AM
tigers have won 3 straight one run games over the last week...ouch.
One thing about their schedule...they have losing records to only Boston,NY,Minny(4-7) and Toronto(1-3) in the AL.
They still play 4 with Toronto(and face Halladay) and play 7 vs Twins...then 6 vs the Sox who they are 7-5 against.
They also will face Greinke twice in the two KC series ...but also get the Tribe for 3 who they dominate this year..12-4...ouch.

doublem23
09-05-2009, 09:51 AM
It would be oh so White Sox for them to pull their **** together and get to the brink of the postseason... before falling apart again.

This is the life we chose.

stacksedwards
09-05-2009, 10:00 AM
I have on word for you: BEARS

fram40
09-05-2009, 10:10 AM
tigers have won 3 straight one run games over the last week...ouch.
One thing about their schedule...they have losing records to only Boston,NY,Minny(4-7) and Toronto(1-3) in the AL.
They still play 4 with Toronto(and face Halladay) and play 7 vs Twins...then 6 vs the Sox who they are 7-5 against.
They also will face Greinke twice in the two KC series ...but also get the Tribe for 3 who they dominate this year..12-4...ouch.

as great as Greinke may be, the Royals are 13-14 in games he starts.

I am hoping for the Tigers starting pitching to slump. Verlander has thrown a lot of pitches (e.g., 126 last night). Washburne has sucked since the Tigers got him. Porcello is a rookie - let's hope he gets tired soon. It's a long season and he has never experienced it before (remember Danks in 2007?)

If the Sox go 20 - 6 to close out the season, the Tigers need to go 14 - 14 to tie. and the Twins 20 - 8 for a three way tie. All would finish at 87 - 75.

palehozenychicty
09-05-2009, 10:11 AM
I think it's too late as well, but you never know.

Woofer
09-05-2009, 10:20 AM
It's still too soon to know if the Sox are on a run. We will know after this series if we are, or are not.

Soxman219
09-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Until the elimination number is zero, you have a chance. I'm not going to lie I'm thinking more about Next Sunday in Green Bay than the Sox right now.

gobears1987
09-05-2009, 11:03 AM
It would be oh so White Sox for them to pull their **** together and get to the brink of the postseason... before falling apart again.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7ZckZ-8naz0/R5dIOHIL3GI/AAAAAAAAA0o/W39aNkeCVvk/s400/roth.jpg

So when the Sox turned up dead, I let it go... And I said to myself... THIS IS THE TEAM WE'VE CHOSEN!

TommyJohn
09-05-2009, 11:16 AM

I say they will go on a run at the very end-say, 10-2 or 9-1 in their last few games, to finish about 2 or 3 back. That would be oh, so White Sox...to go on a run when they are all but out of it and the pressure is off.

DSpivack
09-05-2009, 12:25 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7ZckZ-8naz0/R5dIOHIL3GI/AAAAAAAAA0o/W39aNkeCVvk/s400/roth.jpg

So when the Sox turned up dead, I let it go... And I said to myself... THIS IS THE TEAM WE'VE CHOSEN!

Hah...I just watched both of those movies this week.

flo-B-flo
09-05-2009, 01:27 PM
have been frustrating. Every season is like that. It was MY expectations this (and every year for that matter) that cause several hair pulling incidents a year.....That written, I always pay attention until they are eliminated mathematically. Then see what the kids they bring up are up too. It ain't over just yet. But, the patient is gasping for breath.......

MountainCur
09-05-2009, 05:30 PM
I know I'm re-energized...we had a great time tonight....how cool was Chris Getz, buy the way? I've been griping about all the stuff that's going wrong and haven't even been focused on how much he helps our defense...and offense tonight!

woohoo!

Getz has played well since his return. Its easy to forget how much he helps our defense

DumpJerry
09-05-2009, 05:37 PM

...and I did not ask who caused this........

markopat
09-05-2009, 07:22 PM

AMEN TO THAT! Go Go SOX!

markopat
09-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I say they will go on a run at the very end-say, 10-2 or 9-1 in their last few games, to finish about 2 or 3 back. That would be oh, so White Sox...to go on a run when they are all but out of it and the pressure is off.

Your way of thinking is why I stop coming to this site late in the season....

LITTLE NELL
09-05-2009, 07:53 PM
First of all I'm 63 years old and I love the Sox as much as anybody on the planet, I still get nervous and could not watch the last 3 innings of todays game. That being said and looking at the remaining schedule I see us finishing at 83-79. I hope I'm wrong but we dug ourselves too much of a hole with that lousy road trip. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we go on a major winning streak ala the Rockies a few years ago but I won't bet the farm on it.

TommyJohn
09-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Awwwwwwww...well, I'm so sorry. I want them to win as much as anyone. Does that surprise you? I'm not counting them out until they are eliminated.

gobears1987
09-05-2009, 08:12 PM
...and I did not ask who caused this........
Because it had nothing to do with business!

I just realized your user title is Tom Hagen. That's a great one for you.

MarySwiss
09-05-2009, 08:20 PM

Awwwwwwww...well, I'm so sorry. I want them to win as much as anyone. Does that surprise you? I'm not counting them out until they are eliminated.

Guys! You obviously agree in principle.

Here's the bottom line: nothing we say here can make a damn bit of difference in how this last month plays out. All we can do is hope the team can "strap it up and hunker down"!

slavko
09-05-2009, 08:29 PM

Lee Strasberg. Not in bad shape for an OF.

TDog
09-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I have on word for you: BEARS

If Chicago could sacrifice the Bears' upcoming season -- say curse them to a winless season, in exchange for a 20-plus-game White Sox winning streak --I would advocate this. And I know I'm not alone.

But there are no curses or fate in the predetermined sense. And the 1935 Cubs won the NL pennant on the strength of a 21-game-winning streak but lost the World Series. But I see no difference between Bears fans posting that I should follow the Bears and forget about the White Sox and Cubs fans saying essentially the same thing.

The White Sox aren't dead yet. Until they are, there is no reason to give up on the season.

DSpivack
09-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Guys! You obviously agree in principle.

Here's the bottom line: nothing we say here can make a damn bit of difference in how this last month plays out. All we can do is hope the team can "strap it up and hunker down"!

:?:

Don't you mean cinch?

DumpJerry
09-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Because it had nothing to do with business!

I just realized your user title is Tom Hagen. That's a great one for you.
Great minds think alike. Happy holidays!

SephClone89
09-05-2009, 10:33 PM
If Chicago could sacrifice the Bears' upcoming season -- say curse them to a winless season, in exchange for a 20-plus-game White Sox winning streak --I would advocate this. And I know I'm not alone.

But there are no curses or fate in the predetermined sense. And the 1935 Cubs won the NL pennant on the strength of a 21-game-winning streak but lost the World Series. But I see no difference between Bears fans posting that I should follow the Bears and forget about the White Sox and Cubs fans saying essentially the same thing.

The White Sox aren't dead yet. Until they are, there is no reason to give up on the season.

What you said. I like the Bears and all, but as some posters on here and I have discussed, I'd trade five Bears Super Bowls for a World Series.

FielderJones
09-05-2009, 10:45 PM
All we can do is hope the team can "strap it up and hunker down"!

:?: Don't you mean cinch?

:DJ
"You can strap it up, or strap it down. Just don't strap it on."

:hawk:
" "

Law11
09-05-2009, 11:06 PM
You know its been a frustrating season when 3 straight wins gets you juiced. If they have a run in them this has to be it theres no time left for another run.
That light at the end of the tunnel is still there but man its getting harder to see with each day.

voodoochile
09-05-2009, 11:15 PM
You know its been a frustrating season when 3 straight wins gets you juiced. If they have a run in them this has to be it theres no time left for another run.
That light at the end of the tunnel is still there but man its getting harder to see with each day.

Pssst... it's 4 in a row...

MISoxfan
09-05-2009, 11:47 PM
4 straight wins.

Law11
09-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Pssst... it's 4 in a row...

That'll tell you how much Ive been paying attention of late.

PhillipsBubba
09-06-2009, 12:34 AM
We need that 14-2 or 15-3 run to make things interesting in the central.

They are playing well...no doubt...but I see no way this team going 15-3 or anywhere close to that, due to a bad defense and shaky bullpen.

Nellie_Fox
09-06-2009, 01:21 AM
That'll tell you how much Ive been paying attention of late.
You should be ashamed of yourself.