PDA

View Full Version : September Call-Up question

Dub25
09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
When teams make September call-ups, do they have to be on the 40 man roster? As an H-F alum, I was hoping to see Jon Ely especially since he has had a nice year. I know he is not on the 40 man roster.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah they have to be on the 40-Man.

Dub25
09-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah they have to be on the 40-Man.

Ok then, if that's the case, does this count as a move towards the player? What I mean is, is this a free call-up or does it go towards the limit of how many times a player can be called up?

Dub25
09-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Ok then, if that's the case, does this count as a move towards the player? What I mean is, is this a free call-up or does it go towards the limit of how many times a player can be called up?

Hmmmm... where are the smart ones at? I have not checked in in awhile and my question goes unanswered.

CLR01
09-10-2009, 01:46 AM
Hmmmm... where are the smart ones at? I have not checked in in awhile and my question goes unanswered.

There is no limit on the number of times a player can be called up during a season (well there a 15 day window before they can be recalled once sent down barring injury). Options, once used, last the whole season and a player can be moved freely between the minors and the majors. A player already in minors getting called up in September has already been there on an optional assignment and at the end of the year would have one less option year left reguardless of whether he was called up or not.

If a player is added to the 40 man roster in Sept. just to be called up I am pretty sure it would not count as an option year as long as the move happened after 8/31.