PDA

View Full Version : Jim Thome comments on being traded...

Danielgosox38
09-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Jim Thome was interviewed on ESPN 1000, earlier today. Here were his comments.

"We had a very frustrating season, I understand why I was traded."

"I love Chicago, I will live there forever, it's my city."

"I want to play next year and DH in the American League."

"The White Sox would be my first choice, but I haven't talked to Kenny about that yet.

Thome as always, a class act.

Dibbs
09-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Classy dude. I would love to see him DHing in the World Series this year.

ewokpelts
09-04-2009, 07:46 PM
I think it's entirely possible that Kenny asked Jim if he wanted to play for a winner this year. And re-unite with Manny.

Sox did him a favor and letting him get a shot at a ring.

oeo
09-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Chuck Garfien mentions on Twitter that Kenny said they did talk about Thome coming back for 2010, but "Kenny's not sure if they'll have full-time DH."

Interesting, and again likely means Dye will be gone, too. Tyler Flowers?

soxfan43
09-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Chuck Garfien said that Kenny said they did talk about him coming back for 2010, but "Kenny's not sure if they'll have full-time DH."

Interesting, and again likely means Dye will be gone, too.

Why do you think Dye would be gone based on that? with his age and Paulie's age plus Quentin's injury history I could see the Sox going with players rotating in and out of the DH/OF/1B spots. Maybe more so if pods is back too. I just think they don't want a guy like Thome who can ONLY be used as a DH.

oeo
09-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Why do you think Dye would be gone based on that? with his age and Paulie's age plus Quentin's injury history I could see the Sox going with players rotating in and out of the DH/OF/1B spots. Maybe more so if pods is back too. I just think they don't want a guy like Thome who can ONLY be used as a DH.

I think at this point, Dye should ONLY be used as a DH. He still has a cannon, but his defense has been rapidly declining over the last few years.

I'd like to see Flowers rotate between 1B, DH, and C.

michned
09-04-2009, 08:37 PM
I think it's entirely possible that Kenny asked Jim if he wanted to play for a winner this year. And re-unite with Manny.

I have felt this way since the trade. It gives him a great shot to go far in the playoffs. Plus, if the Dodgers do wind up making the WS, they have their DH for the four AL-park games.

As great of a guy as he is, I don't know if bringing him back would be the right thing. All ready too many cloggers in the lineup.

Woofer
09-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Jim is a class act. I wouldn't mind seeing him back, unless we come up with a better option.

Domeshot17
09-04-2009, 09:28 PM
You don't rotate around a guy like Flowers. Flowers needs 500 ABs at a set position. If he is your catcher of the future, let him catch in triple A. 1b stick him at first. Its the same reason Beckham wasn't used in a super sub role.

Hitmen77
09-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Chuck Garfien mentions on Twitter that Kenny said they did talk about Thome coming back for 2010, but "Kenny's not sure if they'll have full-time DH."

I think that just means he doesn't want a DH who simply can't play in the field (as opposed to Dye who can play in the field, albeit not very well anymore).

The Sox are going to want Flowers to work on his hitting and catching. Sure they could get him enough at bats rotating between C and DH, but he would have little opportunity to work on his catching skills.

TDog
09-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Technically, I'm not sure they White Sox would be allowed to talk with Thome about coming back in 2010. Any such talk would have to be put in extremely vague terms.

It would appear that the Sox traded Thome becaue they have no interest in him next year. Because he wasn't helping the team this year. But it does give the White Sox an opportunity to sign him for less than the minimum he could have signed for had he finihsed the year with the Sox.

I think it was a good move by the Dodgers to trade for Thome becasue they have a good shot at getting to the World Series and having an experienced DH wouldn't hurt. And they didn't have to deveot a 25-man-roster spot to him in the regular season.

doublem23
09-04-2009, 10:08 PM
It would appear that the Sox traded Thome becaue they have no interest in him next year. Because he wasn't helping the team this year. But it does give the White Sox an opportunity to sign him for less than the minimum he could have signed for had he finihsed the year with the Sox.

.864 OPS? And left-handed? He was doing just fine, and if he's willing to come back for a very reduced salary, I hope the Sox welcome him back with open arms.

Brian26
09-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Technically, I'm not sure they White Sox would be allowed to talk with Thome about coming back in 2010. Any such talk would have to be put in extremely vague terms.

I think it was a good move by the Dodgers to trade for Thome becasue they have a good shot at getting to the World Series and having an experienced DH wouldn't hurt. And they didn't have to deveot a 25-man-roster spot to him in the regular season.

From a PR standpoint, it makes it much easier on KW this offseason since he doesn't have to now deal with the "should we or shouldn't we offer arbitration".

Lip Man 1
09-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Hitmen:

The Tribune story quoted Kenny as specifically saying he didn't know if a full time DH is the way the Sox want to go next season. He talked about rotating guys to keep them fresh.

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
09-04-2009, 11:27 PM
I heard the whole interview this morning and it was awesome. Thome is such a classy guy and it's for this reason I'll miss him a lot! At the end of the interview, Silvy said that Thome is the one who called them, not the other way around. What professional athlete does that?!

hawkjt
09-04-2009, 11:45 PM
When Kenny Williams met with the press today he was asked about trading Thome and kenny said

''I did not trade Jimmy...''

He said the dodgers called about Jim before the game that nite but Kenny did not even mention it to Jim til after the game cus he was sure that Jim would veto it...but Jim mulled it over and then decided to wave his no-trade.
Kenny made it clear that he was not expecting to move Jim and it was totally Jims decision.
I could see Thome being considered next year with the sox if he is cheap, and the Sox lose Jermaine. They could add a rightfielder like Abreu, and have Kotsay,Abreu,Carlos handle right field/backup first, with Jim in the mix for dh along with the rest...

soxfan43
09-04-2009, 11:48 PM
I think at this point, Dye should ONLY be used as a DH. He still has a cannon, but his defense has been rapidly declining over the last few years.

I'd like to see Flowers rotate between 1B, DH, and C.

I'd agree with the first part. But Dye isn't totally useless in the field, yet. I'm fine with rotating him in if he's back next year, but no way should he be the full time RFer. I wouldn't want to move Flowers all over the place, might impede his progress. Pick his position and stick him at AAA if need be. Didn't the Sox draft a college catcher high last year? If he's doing well maybe the Sox can move Flowers to 1B and keep AJ around for a while.

gobears1987
09-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Big Jim shows class to the end. I'm really pissed off that this Indians fan littered my Facebook status regarding Thome with trash. I ****ing hate Indians fans and am disgusted that the organization let Garko wear 25 when he was there. The Sox would never let any player wear 35, but then again the Sox have something called CLASS.

thomas35forever
09-05-2009, 12:10 AM
I hope Jim comes back to the organization when he retires. He'll spread goodwill to the community like no other.

Waysouthsider
09-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Just when you think that guy can't get any more amazing.....what a gentleman.

Madscout
09-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Love this move just because Big Jim gets to play for a contender.

You can count me in the camp that doesn't want him back next year. As much as I like him, we need to go in a different way.

sox1970
09-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Thome 1-1 as a pinch hitter. Fire Walker.

slavko
09-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Jim Thome was interviewed on ESPN 1000, earlier today. Here were his comments.

"We had a very frustrating season, I understand why I was traded."

"I love Chicago, I will live there forever, it's my city."

"I want to play next year and DH in the American League."

"The White Sox would be my first choice, but I haven't talked to Kenny about that yet.

Thome as always, a class act.

Percentage of times a classy veteran says he wants to come back when he is traded = 100%.

Percentage of times he actually comes back = 0%.

I'll ban myself for a month if he comes back next year. Just like I said I'd ban myself forever if the Cubs and Wrigley were sold separately, back when that horsebleep was hot.

Nellie_Fox
09-05-2009, 01:42 AM
I'd like to see Flowers rotate between 1B, DH, and C.Unless the Sox carry two catchers besides Flowers, you cannot go into a season planning to DH your backup catcher.

Milw
09-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Percentage of times a classy veteran says he wants to come back when he is traded = 100%.

Percentage of times he actually comes back = 0%.

I'll ban myself for a month if he comes back next year. Just like I said I'd ban myself forever if the Cubs and Wrigley were sold separately, back when that horsebleep was hot.
Not the same class of player obviously, but I recall Geoff Blum saying he wanted to return to the Padres after he was acquired by the Sox, and then following through on that.

Anyway, if Jim ends up not coming back it doesn't mean he is insincere when he says he wants to return. Takes two to tango, and he just may not be in Kenny's plans. I have no doubt that Jim would come back if the Sox would have him back, which I think is the relevant point.

Frater Perdurabo
09-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Unless the Sox carry two catchers besides Flowers, you cannot go into a season planning to DH your backup catcher.

I thought about the Twins, because Mauer DH's a lot. But they have three catchers on their 25-man roster: Mauer, Redmond and Morales.

If the Sox didn't carry a full-time DH, and instead used DH to give ABs to Flowers, and also the DH to occasionally rest Pods, Quentin and Paulie, with Kotsay and Nix's flexibility they could carry three catchers, too.

ms620
09-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Unless the Sox carry two catchers besides Flowers, you cannot go into a season planning to DH your backup catcher.

I think this is the way to go. As long as you do not have a full time DH (Thome), having 3 catchers gives you more flexibility. Especially if one of them (Flowers), potentially could be used to DH (if he hits to what we think his potential is).

mrwag
09-05-2009, 10:11 AM
The idea of a rotating DH is ideal I believe. Gives the opportunity to keeps guys fresh, plus you don't have to dedicate a chunk of salary for that slot. Sounds great to me.

Tragg
09-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Who can we reasonably expect comes close to his production at DH?
He's the one we need to bring back.

soxfanreggie
09-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Well, I think we have a great back-up for 1B/corner OF/DH in Kotsay. I think we can also get him relatively cheap. He won't command starter money, which is a good thing.

cards press box
09-05-2009, 11:40 AM

If the Sox hadn't traded Thome to the Dodgers, wouldn't the Sox be limited in what they would have to offer Thome to re-sign him (i.e., they could not cut his current salary any more than 10% or 20%). I don't remember the exact terms of the CBA on this point but because Thome will be a free agent from the Dodgers, the Sox have more flexibility in making an offer to Thome than they would have if the deal hadn't been done.

Daver
09-05-2009, 11:42 AM
If the Sox hadn't traded Thome to the Dodgers, wouldn't the Sox be limited in what they would have to offer Thome to re-sign him (i.e., they could not cut his current salary any more than 10% or 20%). I don't remember the exact terms of the CBA on this point but because Thome will be a free agent from the Dodgers, the Sox have more flexibility in making an offer to Thome than they would have if the deal hadn't been done.

The contract percentage was done away with in the last CBA.

Redus Redux
09-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Flowers and AJP can play at the same time next year. Key would be getting a utility IF who can handle catching in case of emergency.

Frater Perdurabo
09-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Thome is a class act, but there's no need for him with this plan:

Let Dye and Pods go. Sign Abreu & Figgins. Re-sign Dotel. Rotate DH.

Lineup: Figgins, Beckham, Abreu, TCQ, PK, AJ, Rios, Getz, Alexei

Bench: Flowers, Kotsay, Castro, Nix

Rotation: Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Garcia

Pen: Jenks, Thornton, Linebrink, Pena, Dotel, Torres, Carrasco

Keep Hudson in Charlotte in case anyone falters.

TDog
09-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Well, I think we have a great back-up for 1B/corner OF/DH in Kotsay. I think we can also get him relatively cheap. He won't command starter money, which is a good thing.

For the record, Kotsay was a very good defensive centerfielder in Oakland. Swisher ended up playing a lot of centerfield after Kotsay was injured in 2007 and Kotsay hasn't been a fulltime centerfielder since, moving on to Atlanta and Boston and the White Sox in 2008 and 2009, but Kotsay was a first-round draft pick as a centerfielder and has proved himself defensively at the major league level.

goon
09-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Thome is a class act, but there's no need for him with this plan:

Let Dye and Pods go. Sign Abreu & Figgins. Re-sign Dotel. Rotate DH.

Lineup: Figgins, Beckham, Abreu, TCQ, PK, AJ, Rios, Getz, Alexei

Bench: Flowers, Kotsay, Castro, Nix

Rotation: Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Garcia

Pen: Jenks, Thornton, Linebrink, Pena, Dotel, Torres, Carrasco

Keep Hudson in Charlotte in case anyone falters.

Signing Abreu AND Figgins is probably going to cost a lot more than signing Podsednik and Dye. Considering the contracts the Sox took on with Peavy and Rios, I'm not sure the money is there for both of those players.

Abreu and Figgins aren't even that much of upgrade either... if at all. Figgins, sure, but Abreu? You can go tit for tat on why Dye is a better option than that guy.

cards press box
09-05-2009, 12:49 PM
The contract percentage was done away with in the last CBA.

O.K., so the Sox apparently dealt Thome to give him a more certain chance of post-season play in 2009 and a shot at playing in the World Series.

kitekrazy
09-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Nice guy...but I don't want him back. What could the Sox benefit from it?

southside rocks
09-05-2009, 06:41 PM
O.K., so the Sox apparently dealt Thome to give him a more certain chance of post-season play in 2009 and a shot at playing in the World Series.

KW said that the Dodgers expressed interest in Thome, KW asked Thome if he wanted to waive his NTC to go to LA, and Thome said yes. So the Dodgers made the move and the Sox facilitated it for Thome, it sounds like to me.

Which IMO was Kenny's way of saying that even if the Sox get to the post-season this year, he doesn't consider them World Series contenders. A fairly realistic viewpoint, I'd say.

I hear that Thome got a standing O last night when he came up for his first bat as a Dodger. That's pretty classy of the LA fans.

slavko
09-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Not the same class of player obviously, but I recall Geoff Blum saying he wanted to return to the Padres after he was acquired by the Sox, and then following through on that.

Anyway, if Jim ends up not coming back it doesn't mean he is insincere when he says he wants to return. Takes two to tango, and he just may not be in Kenny's plans. I have no doubt that Jim would come back if the Sox would have him back, which I think is the relevant point.

You got me. Fact is I was thinking the same as I returned to the thread and saw your post immediately.

michned
09-05-2009, 09:43 PM
I hear that Thome got a standing O last night when he came up for his first bat as a Dodger. That's pretty classy of the LA fans.

He did. And, with one of his patented swings, he ripped a long single to right center that landed just short of the warning track. To paraphrase Farmio, for a brief second the place was electric because it looked like it might go out.

I don't think he would fit into the Sox's plans next year, but I wonder what AL club he will sign with. Even if he goes with a non-contender, the chances are good he would get traded to a contender at the deadline for another chance at a ring.

ode to veeck
09-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Thome 1-1 as a pinch hitter. Fire Walker.

POTW material

Frater Perdurabo
09-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Signing Abreu AND Figgins is probably going to cost a lot more than signing Podsednik and Dye. Considering the contracts the Sox took on with Peavy and Rios, I'm not sure the money is there for both of those players.

Abreu and Figgins aren't even that much of upgrade either... if at all. Figgins, sure, but Abreu? You can go tit for tat on why Dye is a better option than that guy.

Remember we've also got Contreras, Thome and MacDougal coming off the books for 2010, so the money may be there after all.

Abreu doesn't have Dye's power, but he hits for higher average, gets on base a ton, and can still steal bases, too. I also think he'd hit more HRs at the Cell than he has in Anaheim or old Yankee stadium. And he's left-handed, and would fit perfectly between Beckham and Quentin.

DSpivack
09-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Remember we've also got Contreras, Thome and MacDougal coming off the books for 2010, so the money may be there after all.

Abreu doesn't have Dye's power, but he hits for higher average, gets on base a ton, and can still steal bases, too. I also think he'd hit more HRs at the Cell than he has in Anaheim or old Yankee stadium. And he's left-handed, and would fit perfectly between Beckham and Quentin.

For a lefty, I don't think it'd be easier to hit a HR at USCF than at either new or old Yankee Stadium.

As for the Contreras/Thome/Macdougal money, I thought that was converted into Rios and Peavy, basically. Anyone know the total payroll commitments for next season, as it stands right now? Cot's isn't updated from all our moves this summer.

Oblong
09-05-2009, 10:58 PM

They would only be limited if they offered him arbitration and he accepted it, which he would have if they offered. In Arbitration you can't get mor than an 80% pay cut

Thome and Williams could have had a gentleman's agreement before the trade but that's about it. Nothing more than "Would you be interested in coming back here in 2010?" "Sure." "Ok, we'll keep that in mind."

I don't know anything about the prospect the Sox got but this could be a very shrewd move on the part of Kenny Williams, even if inadvertantly.

He avoids the risk of arbitration yet still gets at least something for him. It's like they did offer him arbitration and he declined. He got a pick, albeit one someone else already made a few years ago.

Tragg
09-06-2009, 09:43 AM

I wonder what Abreu would sign for.

I'm sure if I bothered to read the rules, I could figure it out. But we waive MacDougal, the Nats claim him, but we pay his salary. Toronto waives Rios, we claim him, andd we pay his salary.

hawkjt
09-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Abreu ended up signing a one year,5 million dollar deal with the Angels.
The guy is having a very good year, with a lot of steals, and hitting for high average...not sure when he will drop off but seems to be still going strong right now.
If signing Figgins would preclude signing Abreu, then I would prefer re-signing Pods and getting Abreu over just signing Figgins. I think figgins will command at least 3 year 21 million. Pods can be signed for maybe 2 year 4 million, and Abreu maybe 3 year 16 million. Getting Abreu allows the Sox to bid goodbye to JD and having a corner outfield/dh/backup 1st base group of Quentin,Abreu,Pods,Kotsay....all at a cost less than JD's 12 million..allowing for a possible bid on Figgins to play infield or adding a reliever that costs some cash...or a backup catcher better than Castro.
I think Kenny will always want to leave himself some leeway on payroll to add payroll during the season,so I think he will once again be restrained to making one or maybe two moves...the JD decision will dictate a lot of offseason activity. Right now, unless JD shows me something the last 25 games, I have changed my mind on him and do not think he can be brought back for 12 million.

Craig Grebeck
09-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Abreu ended up signing a one year,5 million dollar deal with the Angels.
The guy is having a very good year, with a lot of steals, and hitting for high average...not sure when he will drop off but seems to be still going strong right now.
If signing Figgins would preclude signing Abreu, then I would prefer re-signing Pods and getting Abreu over just signing Figgins. I think figgins will command at least 3 year 21 million. Pods can be signed for maybe 2 year 4 million, and Abreu maybe 3 year 16 million. Getting Abreu allows the Sox to bid goodbye to JD and having a corner outfield/dh/backup 1st base group of Quentin,Abreu,Pods,Kotsay....all at a cost less than JD's 12 million..allowing for a possible bid on Figgins to play infield or adding a reliever that costs some cash...or a backup catcher better than Castro.
I think Kenny will always want to leave himself some leeway on payroll to add payroll during the season,so I think he will once again be restrained to making one or maybe two moves...the JD decision will dictate a lot of offseason activity. Right now, unless JD shows me something the last 25 games, I have changed my mind on him and do not think he can be brought back for 12 million.
It took me eleven seconds to disprove this. He put up a .654 OPS in August and his months have been extremely inconsistent.

hawkjt
09-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I am not talking about the last two months...I am talking consistency over the last 10 years...only one year he did not have 100rbis, averaged over .410 on base average the last decade, 20+ homers, 25+ stolen bags, and OPS over .900....what is not consistent about that?

Abreu has 28 stolen bases this year, and only caught stealing 10 times.
Maybe he will drop off the edge at some point, but he just keeps having great offensive years...year after year.

Craig Grebeck
09-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I am not talking about the last two months...I am talking consistency over the last 10 years...only one year he did not have 100rbis, averaged over .410 on base average the last decade, 20+ homers, 25+ stolen bags, and OPS over .900....what is not consistent about that?

Abreu has 28 stolen bases this year, and only caught stealing 10 times.
Maybe he will drop off the edge at some point, but he just keeps having great offensive years...year after year.
Well I guess I was confused by your poor expression, as the phrase about having a "great year" was followed by ellipses and then the isn't slowing down statement.

Noneck
09-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Kotsay makes more sense as a lefty DH. He can play multiple positions and play them well. A DH that can play no position can hurt a team unless he bats really well. I got a sneaky suspicion that before this year is up, bad back Thome will suddenly get well enough in LA and find that mitt that was lost here in Chicago. I don't think this guy wants to be Smoky Burgess.

doctorlecter
09-06-2009, 11:08 PM
It took me eleven seconds to disprove this. He put up a .654 OPS in August and his months have been extremely inconsistent.
That's Abreu, vs. Dye's .551 OPS in August. Big upgrade.

Craig Grebeck
09-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Kotsay makes more sense as a lefty DH. He can play multiple positions and play them well. A DH that can play no position can hurt a team unless he bats really well. I got a sneaky suspicion that before this year is up, bad back Thome will suddenly get well enough in LA and find that mitt that was lost here in Chicago. I don't think this guy wants to be Smoky Burgess.
Kotsay makes sense as a 4th OF. He may be the only option worse than Pods for a DH.

The DH is designed so you can put guys who are terrible at defense at the plate (shielding their biggest flaw), so they can hit the total ****ing **** out of the ball. Putting a weak-hitting, decent-defending guy at DH is inexcusable. So stupid.

He's Jim Thome. He's already in the Hall of Fame, he wants a ring.

That's Abreu, vs. Dye's .551 OPS in August. Big upgrade.
I'll take neither, please.

chisox77
09-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Jim Thome=CLASS

hawkjt
09-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Well I guess I was confused by your poor expression, as the phrase about having a "great year" was followed by ellipses and then the isn't slowing down statement.

Look at Abreu's numbers on July 1 and on Sept 6.

BA.....298 on 7/1....297 on 9/6
OBA...398 .398
OPS...818 .826

He has 45 ribs since July 1...not bad for a little over two months.
How is he fading exactly....I see his OPS as improving since July 1.

The guy continues to be a hitting machine. Love to see him in a Sox uni next year.

Craig Grebeck
09-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Look at Abreu's numbers on July 1 and on Sept 6.

BA.....298 on 7/1....297 on 9/6
OBA...398 .398
OPS...818 .826

He has 45 ribs since July 1...not bad for a little over two months.
How is he fading exactly....I see his OPS as improving since July 1.

The guy continues to be a hitting machine. Love to see him in a Sox uni next year.
He had a good July and a bad August, much like he had a bad May after having a good April (which was followed by a good June). He's been inconsistent as all hell.

Tragg
09-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Kotsay makes more sense as a lefty DH. .
Kotsay is on the club for defensive/utility reasons. Kotsay makes no sense at DH.
And then compare him to Thome.
Kotasy-Thome; Kotsay-Thome. There's a grand canyon of difference.

hawkjt
09-07-2009, 07:03 PM
He had a good July and a bad August, much like he had a bad May after having a good April (which was followed by a good June). He's been inconsistent as all hell.

Jermaine has a total of 24 rbis since July 1..compared to Abreu's 45.
Jermaine's OPS on July 1 was .916 and today it is .813

You say Abreu had a bad August..he only had 17 rbis...well, Jermaine only had 8 rbis in August.
If you call Abreu inconsistent, what is Jermaine Dye?

Craig Grebeck
09-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Jermaine has a total of 24 rbis since July 1..compared to Abreu's 45.
Jermaine's OPS on July 1 was .916 and today it is .813

You say Abreu had a bad August..he only had 17 rbis...well, Jermaine only had 8 rbis in August.
If you call Abreu inconsistent, what is Jermaine Dye?
Dude, read the god damn thread. I just said that I'd like neither five or so posts ago.

hawkjt
09-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Ok, who do you want? Give me a name. Thats what I thought.

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2009, 03:37 AM
Ok, who do you want? Give me a name. Thats what I thought.
Marlon Byrd.

Tragg
09-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Marlon Byrd.
Why? Aside from 1 good obp year, he's been pretty average. He can cover the field better than Dye or Abreu, is younger, but he really isn't in their class as a hitter. Questionable production for a corner outfielder.
I would want neither Dye nor Abreu; not sure whom I'd suggest right now.

hawkjt
09-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Byrd is a decent alternative. Does not have the offensive production of an Abreu,but is younger and a better defender. OBA is not great at .318,tho.
Abreu will probably drop off one of these years but is on his way to his 8th year over 100 rbis in the last 9...with that exception being 85 in a injury shortened year. The guy just knows how to get on base (.400), hit for average(.299),knock in runs(91) and steal bases(28) without being caught..(8)...if JD is gone, the Sox need a high average run producer...like Bobby.