PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams To Hold Press Conference 9-4-09

VeeckAsInWreck
09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm surprised no one has talked about this but last night Phil Rogers said on MLB Network (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6458615) that Kenny Williams is supposed to have a press conference.

I'm interested to see what Kenny is going to say. Anyone know what time this will be at?

guillensdisciple
09-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I will be interested to hear this as well, if anyone has a time listing please share it.

soltrain21
09-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Is it a state of the White Sox type thing, or something bigger?

dickallen15
09-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Its probably his meeting of the press that he usually has before games. He hasn't been available since the Thome and Contreras deals. I'm sure that will be the big topic of conversation.

beasly213
09-04-2009, 11:47 AM
:KW

"We are disapointed and we will not accept losing"
"I expect better"
"There will be changes if things don't improve"

Yawn. :rolleyes:

guillensdisciple
09-04-2009, 11:54 AM
:KW

"We are disapointed and we will not accept losing"
"I expect better"
"There will be changes if things don't improve"

Yawn. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a rational press conference for me. I will not fault the management for any of our problems. They put a product on the field which they, and I, thought would win a lot of games (at least in the final months).

They did not, and hearing that the management recognizes that is what I want to hear.

Zisk77
09-04-2009, 11:58 AM
He's announcing that the Cubs suck and should be contracted.

DumpJerry
09-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Maybe he read what a certain WSIer has been saying about his decision regarding whether or not to renew his season tickets and will address those concerns.

hawkjt
09-04-2009, 12:08 PM
One last battle cry from Kenny to the troops to charge up that hill and win this war?

Battle stations,Sox players!! Charge!!!

GoGoCrede
09-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I need to tune in. What channel? Perfect way to kill time before going to my internship.

soxfanreggie
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
No mention of it on whitesox.com. Any indication of when the press conference will be?

cws05champ
09-04-2009, 12:23 PM
He'll announce that Peavy will be shut down....just my guess.

dickallen15
09-04-2009, 12:25 PM
No mention of it on whitesox.com. Any indication of when the press conference will be?

I'm pretty sure its not a full blown press conference, just one of those chats he has with the media usually sitting in the dugout a few hours before the game. Like I said, he has been unavailable to the press since the Thome/Contreras trades and hasn't commented on the disaterous roadtrip. I'm sure that's what he'll be asked about and what Rogers is talking about.

I_Liked_Manuel
09-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm guessing that we are going to hear how nobody is more disappointed in this team but him, how he expected more, etc. At no point will we hear that his decision to field a slow, aging, and streaky lineup was the cause of the offensive problems.

JermaineDye05
09-04-2009, 12:38 PM
He'll announce that Peavy will be shut down....just my guess.

I doubt it, Peavy is supposed to throw later today.

Chez
09-04-2009, 12:44 PM
A buddy of mine swore he just saw both Carl Everett and Robbie Alomar getting into a cab at O'Hare . . .

DirtySox
09-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Maybe we are signing Frank for some fan service.

LoveYourSuit
09-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Peavy to be shut down, that's my guess. Maybe he already threw this AM and nothing good came from it.

Let's hope not.

esbrechtel
09-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I thought he mentioned that he would not discuss the trade of Thome and Contreras until friday.....I have a feeling that is what the presser is about...

DumpJerry
09-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Maybe we are signing Frank for some fan service.
We're done with the Metrodome forever, why do we need to service the blowers there?

JohnnyInnsbrook
09-04-2009, 01:06 PM

My guess it will be something along the lines of this

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090904&content_id=6788618&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090904&content_id=6788618&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws)

Dibbs
09-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Hopefully we are bringing back Frank for the final stretch! There is room with Thome gone. I would go to every single game to see Frank hit one last homer at The Cell.

:praying:

thomas35forever
09-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Hopefully we are bringing back Frank for the final stretch! There is room with Thome gone. I would go to every single game to see Frank hit one last homer at The Cell.

I doubt it. If Kenny says we're not waving the white flag, there's no reason to think they'll be putting this team at further risk.

soltrain21
09-04-2009, 01:16 PM

Boy do I want this idea to go away.

DumpJerry
09-04-2009, 01:21 PM

Has everyone forgotten that Frank's career BA is .301? Bring him back and it will go below that giving people an excuse to not vote for him in the HoF.

Also, what kind of baseball shape would he be in today?

If he was being signed, there would have been rumors flying all over the place for the past day or so.

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2009, 01:22 PM

:praying:Given that Frank hasn't seen live pitching in a year, and would have no time to get ready, the chances of him hitting a last homer would be very slim.

Boy do I want this idea to go away.Me too. I don't want to see the big guy embarrassed.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Kenny has been out of touch since the Monday deadline deals. This is just talking to the media about them and the season. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Lip

Dibbs
09-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Boy do I want this idea to go away.

I was still still a young kid when Frank came into the majors, so he is like my last childhood hero. I don't look at players that way anymore, so it is just a little dream of mine.

Has everyone forgotten that Frank's career BA is .301? Bring him back and it will go below that giving people an excuse to not vote for him in the HoF.

His BA would stay above .300 with minimal ABs this last month.

Given that Frank hasn't seen live pitching in a year, and would have no time to get ready, the chances of him hitting a last homer would be very slim.

He has been swinging the bat his entire life, it wouldn't take long for the big guy get his swing going. He may not be great, but I don't think he would embarrass himself.

dickallen15
09-04-2009, 01:42 PM
He has been swinging the bat his entire life, it wouldn't take long for the big guy get his swing going. He may not be great, but I don't think he would embarrass himself.

He's been a very slow starter the last couple of years. Give him 5 months longer of a layoff, no minor league ABs since their seasons are closing, and you are looking at a guy who would probably do nothing but embarrass himself at the plate. That's a lasting memory you want of Frank Thomas in a White Sox uniform? He hasn't had a major league AB since 8/29/2008.

pmck003
09-04-2009, 01:45 PM

I'd rather see Ozzie go up to the plate. At least there would be a better chance of something crazy and entertaining happen.

JermaineDye05
09-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Peavy to be shut down, that's my guess. Maybe he already threw this AM and nothing good came from it.

Let's hope not.

Considering the press was announced last night and the side session was announced for today, logic would seem to tell you that Kenny didn't announce the pressed with the intention of saying that Peavy's session went bad, methinks.

munchman33
09-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Why would people assume signing Frank preludes to extensive playing time for him, or playing time at all? Rosters have expanded. He could ride the bench and just hang out at a memeber of the organization before retiring, and maybe get a pinch hit opportunity when we're eliminated just for fun.

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Why would people assume signing Frank preludes to extensive playing time for him, or playing time at all? Rosters have expanded. He could ride the bench and just hang out at a memeber of the organization before retiring, and maybe get a pinch hit opportunity when we're eliminated just for fun.Because that's not what the poster said. He said he wants to see Frank hit one last homerun.

munchman33
09-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Because that's not what the poster said. He said he wants to see Frank hit one last homerun.

Well. So do I! You don't? :cool:

It would be wonderful to have him back in the organization. But that's probably a pipe dream.

LoveYourSuit
09-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Considering the press was announced last night and the side session was announced for today, logic would seem to tell you that Kenny didn't announce the pressed with the intention of saying that Peavy's session went bad, methinks.

"Methinks" you are being a damn smart ass.

I thought Kenny called the press conference today.

So then just let it go.

munchman33
09-04-2009, 02:28 PM

So then just let it go.

:?:

"Methinks" you're being too sensitive. It didn't sound at all like he was trying to embarrass or belittle you, only point out that you're wrong in your assessment.

DumpJerry
09-04-2009, 02:53 PM

So then just let it go.

:?:

"Methinks" you're being too sensitive. It didn't sound at all like he was trying to embarrass or belittle you, only point out that you're wrong in your assessment.
I think you two need to this now before someone gets hurt.

munchman33
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
I think you two need to this now before someone gets hurt.

Hey now, I wasn't the one fighting! Nor do I think the original poster was trying to start a fight. LoveYourSuit clearly overreacted.

JermaineDye05
09-04-2009, 03:08 PM

So then just let it go.

Sorry if I came across as a smart ass. That wasn't my intention at all. If it was because of me using the word "methinks", just know that that's a word I enjoy saying from time to time. I don't mean to use it to belittle anyone, I just like to sound of it. I will admit that I do tend to overuse it, however.

Sorry if I offended you at all. I was just trying to point out that the press is most likely not regarding the Jake Peavy throwing session.

LoveYourSuit
09-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Sorry if I came across as a smart ass. That wasn't my intention at all. If it was because of me using the word "methinks", just know that that's a word I enjoy saying from time to time. I don't mean to use it to belittle anyone, I just like to sound of it. I will admit that I do tend to overuse it, however.

Sorry if I offended you at all. I was just trying to point out that the press is most likely not regarding the Jake Peavy throwing session.

My bad too. I did over-react a bit. :redface:

Hugs for everyone except for Munch .... J/K

DirtySox
09-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Peavy has a bone bruise, and as long as the Sox are still in it he will continue to attempt his comeback.

http://twitter.com/InsideTheSox/status/3765539242

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Peavy has a bone bruise, and as long as the Sox are still in it he will continue to attempt his comeback.

http://twitter.com/InsideTheSox/status/3765539242

This team has the worst luck ever. From Quentin's foot to Peavy. What are the chances that a pitcher, making his last rehab start would get hit in the elbow while facing his last batter of the game?

oeo
09-04-2009, 04:25 PM
This team has the worst luck ever. From Quentin's foot to Peavy. What are the chances that a pitcher, making his last rehab start would get hit in the elbow while facing his last batter of the game?

He was supposed to throw 100 pitches in that start, it wasn't going to be his last batter.

Waysouthsider
09-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the Peavy info...that's the first I heard what was really wrong...

Shane

SOX ADDICT '73
09-04-2009, 05:30 PM
He was supposed to throw 100 pitches in that start, it wasn't going to be his last batter.
He was only scheduled to go 5 innings or 75 pitches, whichever came first. He got hit in the 5th and went on to finish that frame with 80 pitches, so it could have been his last batter (if there were two outs at the time - I'm not sure how many there were).

Regardless, it does feel like stupid, rotten luck (if Sox fans believed in such a thing) and I'd love to get my hands on the bastard who hit the liner...:angry:

oeo
09-04-2009, 06:04 PM
He was only scheduled to go 5 innings or 75 pitches, whichever came first. He got hit in the 5th and went on to finish that frame with 80 pitches, so it could have been his last batter (if there were two outs at the time - I'm not sure how many there were).

Regardless, it does feel like stupid, rotten luck (if Sox fans believed in such a thing) and I'd love to get my hands on the bastard who hit the liner...:angry:

Oh, I could have swore I read somewhere that he was supposed to throw 100 since that could have been his last rehab start.

Danielgosox38
09-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Has he held the press conference yet? It's close to game time.

VeeckAsInWreck
09-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Has he held the press conference yet? It's close to game time.

I haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming that there was indeed a conference, where Kenny walked up slowly to the microphone, poured himself a glass of water. Took out his reading glasses and unfolded a piece of paper. Took a deep breath into the microphone and said "No Comment" then walked off. :redneck

Seriously, I don't know where Phil Rogers came up with this press conference thing then. Thankfully I provided a link with video evidence, so that proves that I wasn't hearing things.

mzh
09-04-2009, 08:07 PM

Not sure whether I would really like to see that, if the Boston series goes horribly wrong, I would go to a game to see him get one last at bat for the sox. Hell, if Paul Byrd can not pitch for a year and throw 6 scoreless in Toronto, why can't Frank get one more base hit?

FielderJones
09-04-2009, 10:59 PM
I'd love to get my hands on the bastard who hit the liner...:angry:

Wes Timmons (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090904&content_id=6797356&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

SOX ADDICT '73
09-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Wes Timmons (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090904&content_id=6797356&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)
6'0", 190? I could take him...:redneck

FielderJones
09-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Press conference -- explanation (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-05-white-sox-ken-williams-sep05,0,7227598.story) for Thome trade.

PhillipsBubba
09-05-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm a big KW fan but he sounds a little ridiculous at this press conference:scratch: