PDA

View Full Version : Best Wishes to Ernie Harwell

Viva Medias B's
09-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Longtime Tigers announcer Ernie Harwell, at 91 years young, has been diagnosed with cancer. He has a tumor in the bile duct area, and it is inoperable. As grim as that diagnosis is for Ernie, even that didn't stop him from being his usual upbeat self when talking about the diagnosis.

Link (http://www.freep.com/article/20090903/NEWS05/309030002/1318/Not-even-cancer-diagnosis-can-shake-Harwell-s-spirit)

Oblong
09-04-2009, 09:17 AM
:whiner:

This is tough and it's going to be very hard when he eventually passes. I'm not sad because he's apparantly dying, we all die and he's 91 and lived a very full life. I'm sad because it may be painful for him and he doesn't deserve that.

He's a treasure and as good of a broadcaster he's even a better person. Everybody says that whenever someone gets sick or dies but in Ernie's case it's warranted. Anybody who's come across him speaks about his class.

We lost George Kell and Mark Fydrich earlier this year. Now Ernie's battling cancer.

wilburaga
09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
"Hold onto ypur Stroh's, the Tigers are coming back!"

I love Ernie Harwell.

W

soxfanreggie
09-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Here's to you Ernie, baseball rivalries aside, we're behind you. An Iron Man in his own right, he missed 2 games in 55 years (brother's funeral and a Hall-of-Fame induction). A special note: he has been married to his wife Lulu for 68 years!

Paulwny
09-04-2009, 01:19 PM
He was one ,if not the best at calling a game.

thomas35forever
09-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Too bad. Even though I'm not familiar with his work, I appreciate him for his longevity. Good luck, Ernie.

twentywontowin
09-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Similar to what happened to Walter Payton in the bile duct. Bad place to get cancer.

Best of luck to Ernie.

MeteorsSox4367
09-04-2009, 10:06 PM
I had a chance to meet Ernie Harwell once and he could not have been classier or nicer. He sat with me and some other people and told some great baseball stories.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Mr. Harwell.

Daver
09-04-2009, 10:19 PM
The highlight of early season bird hunting trips to Michigan when I was younger was the chance to listen to Ernie do Tigers baseball games, he is a giant in baseball broadcasting, and I am saddened to hear of this.

DSpivack
09-05-2009, 12:35 AM
The highlight of early season bird hunting trips to Michigan when I was younger was the chance to listen to Ernie do Tigers baseball games, he is a giant in baseball broadcasting, and I am saddened to hear of this.

One of the great ones of his generation. Unfortunately I never got to hear him much growing up, having only been to Michigan a few times. Did hear Jack Buck a lot, being in Springfield, IL and St. Louis quite a bit.

gobears1987
09-05-2009, 12:45 AM
Cancer is simply terrible. It is soon going to surpass heart disease as the number 1 killer of Americans. I've known two people who died of it this summer alone and a third who is unlikely to see 2010 because of it. I hope to see the day when cancer is eradicated. Harwell was always a class act and it will be a shame to see him succumb to the disease.