PDA

View Full Version : The 3 in 18 plan

Nelfox02
09-03-2009, 10:15 PM
okay, I will admit I am drinking some of the sox kool aid after that drama in the 9th vs Nathan and trouncing the Flubs today.....but this is my last try to keep this 2009 season interesting....

Starting tomorrow we have 18 games before the sun rises on 9-25, that Friday we have the kitties at home for a three game set If we can manage to gain 3 games in the standings and have this deficit at 4 when that series starts, well, it is at least interesting even if you just take 2 of them, you now have a 3 game deficit with about a week and a half to go, ending with 3 at the Litterbox in D town

yes, the schedule favors the Tigers over this stretch and i know this team has done nothing to give you the impression they will go on a mighty roll, but i say picking up 3 games in this stretch is a realistic goal

maybe i am trying to make something out of nothing, but am i the only person who is thinking even remotely along these lines?

Dibbs
09-03-2009, 10:17 PM
It doesn't hurt to remain optimistic. It is a long shot, but things like this have happened before.

oeo
09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
The one thing we do have going for us is that 6 of the final 9 are against the Tigers. I mentioned this last night, except I would like to be at worst 3GB on the 25th.

We need to pick up some ground this weekend and next week while the Tigers are on the road. Especially this weekend since they'll be in TB, while next week they have KC.

thomas35forever
09-04-2009, 12:19 AM
If the 2007 Rockies could do it, anything's possible.

Waysouthsider
09-04-2009, 12:34 AM
The stats guys still have the Sox winning the division...check out BP....maybe they haven't updated it, but they are still indicating that the Sox could win 86.....

I'm not holding my breath, though....!

See you all at the game tomorrow night...

ode to veeck
09-04-2009, 12:48 AM
They're the Kittens. Anything is possible. GO SOX!

KnightSox
09-04-2009, 01:12 AM
Reduce the errors, hit a little and its possible.

Rohan
09-04-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm in the same boat. And it's going to hurt even more if we flop.

Let's do it, boys. I'm behind you 100%

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200810073601523

ClawsDeep
09-04-2009, 02:14 AM
Really?

rwcescato
09-04-2009, 02:44 AM
okay, I will admit I am drinking some of the sox kool aid after that drama in the 9th vs Nathan and trouncing the Flubs today.....but this is my last try to keep this 2009 season interesting....

Starting tomorrow we have 18 games before the sun rises on 9-25, that Friday we have the kitties at home for a three game set If we can manage to gain 3 games in the standings and have this deficit at 4 when that series starts, well, it is at least interesting even if you just take 2 of them, you now have a 3 game deficit with about a week and a half to go, ending with 3 at the Litterbox in D town

yes, the schedule favors the Tigers over this stretch and i know this team has done nothing to give you the impression they will go on a mighty roll, but i say picking up 3 games in this stretch is a realistic goal

maybe i am trying to make something out of nothing, but am i the only person who is thinking even remotely along these lines?

just to let you know our elimination number is 22 but that comes with 28 games left. The cubs number is 19 so that might make you feel better.

psyclonis
09-04-2009, 03:19 AM
It's possible... Being highly optimistic I have the tigers going: 10-9 and the sox going: 12-6. (4.5 back)
If the Sox take 3 of 4 from BOS, things will look highly interesting.

kufram
09-04-2009, 03:37 AM

Everything you say is true. I try not to imagine specific scenarios because whatever they may be, something different and unexpected is bound to happen. The beauty of being a real fan is that you never give up, even when it appears that the players have.

My optomism is slightly inverted... I'd like to think that a team has only so many bad games, bonehead plays, and bad luck that it can execute. We have already filled our allotment and more. Maybe we can get past that and have good games, make smart plays, and get some luck.... like in the last two games.

Meanwhile, the Tigers have won the games they looked like losing. Maybe they are due for a bad run. Yogi said it.

jsg-07
09-04-2009, 07:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNB1EUJg1-w

SCCWS
09-04-2009, 08:29 AM
It's possible... Being highly optimistic I have the tigers going: 10-9 and the sox going: 12-6. (4.5 back)
If the Sox take 3 of 4 from BOS, things will look highly interesting.

Boston is playing really well right now. 2 of 4 would be great especially w our pitching being erratic. With Wagner they now have probably the best bullpen in baseball.

soxfanreggie
09-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Maybe the 9th inning in Minnesota will push us on a huge winning streak. We have the BoSox at home; c'mon Sox Army - help lead us to victory!

beasly213
09-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Hey, Why Not?

Let's Go White Sox! (Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap) :gulp:

Woofer
09-04-2009, 09:21 AM
If the Sox can get a few games over .500, I will start to get optimistic. We have a tough 4 game series starting today. Lets see if the hard playing, interested White Sox show up.

hawkjt
09-04-2009, 09:30 AM
If the Sox play exceptional baseball between now and the 18th...it is possible.

Tigers schedule is no cakewalk. Between now and the 18th, they play 3 at Tampa Bay,they will face Greinke twice, and Halladay once.
Once they get to the 18th look at their closing stretch:

3 @ cleveland
3 @ Minny
3 @ Sox
4 home vs Minny
3 home vs Sox

16 games that will not be easy for a team that over the season has not played well on the road, or at Minny.
We need the Twins to get hammered on the road vs the Jays and Royals the next week to set this up to be a three team dogfight if the Twins can hammer the Tigers at home and in that last week in Detroit.
We also need cleveland to help us out at least in Cleveland vs both tigers and twins...and KC also.
But, if the Sox are 3 back going to that last 9 game stretch...the tigers will be feeling heat. Tigers have only 2 days off this last month, the sox have 4...and if Peavy is back for the last two weeks, he will face the tigers twice.

chisox12
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM
It's hard for the optimist in me not to come out after a couple nice wins. They need to show up big time against Boston the next 4 days here.

Hitmen77
09-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I think any chance of a playoff berth is just a pipe dream at this point. It's great we won yesterday, but we're not playing any teams nearly as bad as the Cubs from here on out.

....but that being said, I still want the Sox to rebound and play well in September so that we can finish the season on at least somewhat of a positive note.

I'm eager to be able to get a good look at Tyler Flowers, Dan Hudson and (more of) Carlos Torres these last 4 weeks. It would be exciting to have Jake Peavy able to return with some solid starts this month too.

soxfanreggie
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
3 @ cleveland
3 @ Minny
3 @ Sox

I would love to see a 2-7 or worse road trip out of them. :D: If they have to get two wins there, make it be against the Twins.

Soxman219
09-04-2009, 12:19 PM
In the words of garnett,

anything is possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PaleHoser
09-04-2009, 02:00 PM
I believe. The Sox need to pick up one game a week over the next three weeks to make it interesting.

We haven't had an extended winning streak all year, and we're due.

Some perspective: On 9/4/2005, the Sox had a 9.5 game lead. On 9/22, the lead was down to 1.5 games (link (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2005-schedule-scores.shtml)). It can be done.

oeo
09-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I think any chance of a playoff berth is just a pipe dream at this point. It's great we won yesterday, but we're not playing any teams nearly as bad as the Cubs from here on out.

It doesn't matter. It's not like this team lacks talent (contrary to popular opinion around here lately), they've just been playing very poorly. I'm a big believer in momentum, and when Contreras slipped and fell, then went on to walk Bay and give up the 3-run jack to Lowell, it sucked the air out of our sails. The big win in Minnesota, and a win against the Cubs (no matter how bad they are, it always gives them a boost) could have this team believing again. Those couple of big wins can turn things right around. As quickly as they turned bad, they could turn good again. That's baseball, it's not for the faint of heart.

Hitmen77
09-04-2009, 05:54 PM
It doesn't matter. It's not like this team lacks talent (contrary to popular opinion around here lately), they've just been playing very poorly. I'm a big believer in momentum, and when Contreras slipped and fell, then went on to walk Bay and give up the 3-run jack to Lowell, it sucked the air out of our sails. The big win in Minnesota, and a win against the Cubs (no matter how bad they are, it always gives them a boost) could have this team believing again. Those couple of big wins can turn things right around. As quickly as they turned bad, they could turn good again. That's baseball, it's not for the faint of heart.

...and thus the rest of things I said in my post that you conveniently did not quote.

Like I already said, even if the playoffs are out of reach, I'd still like to see this team rebound in September and finish on a positive note.

I think there will be a lot to look forward to in 2010.

GoGoCrede
09-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I blabber a lot about throwing in the towel, but that's all just big talk. Reality is I will never stop rooting for the boys to bring it home. I'll keep watching as long as you keep playing, Sox.

Whenever I feel like I don't want to watch any more games for the rest of the season I remember this:

It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, you rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then, just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.

And with that, better get ready to head out to the game. :)

oeo
09-04-2009, 06:43 PM
...and thus the rest of things I said in my post that you conveniently did not quote.

Okay...:scratch:

I read the entire post, it was irrelevant to what I was saying. It still is.

khan
09-04-2009, 07:04 PM
DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'!!!!

[OK, so I started my Labor Day drinking early. What?]:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

stillz
09-04-2009, 07:18 PM
I'd still like to see this team rebound in September and finish on a positive note.

That's the truth. 2010 looks good already so while we cling to a slice of hope for '09, it'll be fun just to see some decent baseball and quality young players. I can't wait to see Hudson and the rest get their shot.

Nelfox02
09-04-2009, 11:44 PM
\

Some perspective: On 9/4/2005, the Sox had a 9.5 game lead. On 9/22, the lead was down to 1.5 games (link (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2005-schedule-scores.shtml)). It can be done.

great point, I didnt even think about that, everyone here is all to familiar about how quick an "insurmountable" division lead can disappear in September

I was hoping the title of this thread could change to the 2 in 17 plan, but Tampa Bay could not complete the come back

still plenty of time to get the three (dont be shy tho guys, if you want to pick up more than three by my guest) before we start the D town series at the cell.....

ClawsDeep
09-05-2009, 12:51 AM
so now it is gain 3 in 17 days. except the sox have two more against the red sox and a west coast trip thrown in there with 3 in Anaheim.

Tigers have 2 more in florida then 10 games against the Jays and royals, with 7 being at home.

I think in all actuality the tigers are going to gain about 3-4 games.

BubblingCalderon
09-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Just have to gain one more to make this possible. Of course I wouldn't be too upset if we were closer than 4 going into the 1st of 6 vs Detroit

soxfanreggie
09-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Just have to gain one more to make this possible. Of course I wouldn't be too upset if we were closer than 4 going into the 1st of 6 vs Detroit

I would love for it to be 3 or less. Taking 2 out of 3 from them then would bump it down even further and we could hopefully win it in the end by taking 2 of 3 in Detroit. We still need a lot of help tomorrow from the Jays and to take care of business ourselves.